• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode VIII Production Thread (Principal Photography Complete)

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Made this for Star Wars day, figured this thread would dig it ;)

tumblr_o6o0nkSUrL1qed0geo1_1280.png

jdstorm

Banned
IIRC, JJ didn't realize the issue with Maz having nothing to do at D'Qar until after they were deep into editing, so they couldn't kill her - they could keep her around or just edit her out. Since she's playing a larger role in the overall story, cutting her in TFA lets her get fleshed out in the later episodes. But it was too late to solve the problem of her disappearing act. Like Bobby said, too many balls in the air at once. I'm sure there will be some pruning as we go.

The issues with the editing come down to just a few items, though. Maz's disappearing act and some pacing when transitioning from the 2nd to the 3rd act (which might be the same issue, actually). But outside of Maz I'd say editing is one of TFA's strengths.

The Main issue with Maz is that she shouldn't exist in the context that she does. TFA would have a much less convoluted story if Leia had met up with Finn and Ray over Jaku, and Han was off running a bar/smuggling port. How Chewie got a GF is a subplot that never really needed to be explored. They had pre existing characters who could have easily filled that role much more effectively. At best Maz value is as a virtually unnoticed side character that gets a few cool lines similar to Moff Tarkin in ANH or Boba Fett in ESB

Ok I'm going to stop complaining about TFA script now.
Its such a terrible script, that was so close to being incredible. And it annoys the crap out of me

To me it seems like TFA had a complete story which wasn't very good. At some point early on it got ditched and they just decided to copy as many story beats from ANH as they could throw in to make it feel like Star Wars and make it a decent if unambitious film. TFA really needed 2-3 more drafts to really nail what they wanted to do, but they clearly ran out of time needing to hit a deadline and figured they'd rush out TFA and fix everything in episode 8

The issues with the editing come down to just a few items, though. Maz's disappearing act and some pacing when transitioning from the 2nd to the 3rd act (which might be the same issue, actually). But outside of Maz I'd say editing is one of TFA's strengths.

Some day I'd like to do a big post convincing you guys that the editing in the film is actually pretty damn good for the most part, and why I can understand the editors in the industry would think it warrants a nomination,

I don't disagree with either of you, but that transition from the 2nd act to the 3rd, and a few decisions made in the third really stuck out to me on the first two watches. Again, most of the rest of the movie is edited very well, but that last third has juuuust enough problems that it jumped out at me.

It got that full head of steam going and then kinda just broke loose like a freight train. Got a little out of control. And not that Mad Max good kind of "out of control" either. But the "oh shit, the handbrake on this minecart just snapped off" kind. Granted, I'm probably confusing some of those decisions with story/script cuts that came before editorial dept. had any chance to start putting things together, too.

(Minecart ride was still fun as shit, though)

GhaleonEB

I don't disagree with either of you, but that transition from the 2nd act to the 3rd, and a few decisions made in the third really stuck out to me on the first two watches. Again, most of the rest of the movie is edited very well, but that last third has juuuust enough problems that it jumped out at me.

It got that full head of steam going and then kinda just broke loose like a freight train. Got a little out of control. And not that Mad Max good kind of "out of control" either. But the "oh shit, the handbrake on this minecart just snapped off" kind. Granted, I'm probably confusing some of those decisions with story/script cuts that came before editorial dept. had any chance to start putting things together, too.

(Minecart ride was still fun as shit, though)

Yeah, I agree with all of that; I though the 3rd act was overall well done, but that transition stuck out from the first watch for me as well. I think it probably was a JJ call to excise Maz and add enough nips and tucks to create the issues, but that's right in the intersection of story and editing; it was a problem that hit both. It really needed some breathing room and just barreled on ahead.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
I honestly like that they didn't explain how Maz got the lightsaber. It didn't need to be explained, all that matters was that it got from Bespin to Maz. Shit like Luke's hand floating through space still holding the lightsaber is dumb because then the audience wonders how it got from Bespin into fucking space and how it managed to travel a significant distance at seemingly sub-light speed.

I sometimes wonder what happened to all the other Lightsabers from the jedi who were killed prior to and during the clone wars.

All that tech doesn't just... disappear.

some dude (cough grevious' illegitimate son) probably has a wicked mancave with walls lined with sabers.

sphagnum

Banned
Couple things of note that Pablo Hidalgo mentioned on Twitter.

First, as if we needed any more evidence so that people will shut up about it, Pablo is adamant that Plagueis is dead and not coming back to life.

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/729437304192794624

Secondly, he detailed what elements Rian Johnson came up with for Bloodline, so that gives you an idea of things that may play into Episode VIII. Namely, the political factions in the New Republic (Centrists vs. Populists) and a specific terrorist act in the novel. https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/729372726645772289 Even if this stuff doesn't make it into Episode VIII in particular, I'm glad Rian is giving more thought to the political situation in the galaxy.

Also interestingly, Casterfo from Bloodline was apparently in the works since the earliest days of TFA, and part of the story was originally going to be an animated short.

Sorry nothing majorly exciting to add, but a friend sent me this video tribute to Eddie Hitler (one of Adrian Edmondson's most popular characters), and it put a big grin on my face. I thought I'd add it here although I'm sure he'll have all of 5 seconds of screen time to work with.

Bear in mind this was 20 years ago, he's probably mellowed since. A great physical comic nonetheless.

https://youtu.be/TMR5zhnQMvs

Surfinn

Sorry if it's been posted but Pablo confirmed that Plagueis is dead and that Lucas actually had a female heroine planned for EP7. He also guesses that we may see George's treatments only after the current trilogy.

Surfinn

Han Solo and whatever the third spinoff movie is (probably Boba Fett) were both Lucas ideas. Rogue One came from John Knoll.

Surprising considering he generally at least tried new things with the prequels. Solo/Fett spin-offs feel incredibly lazy in terms of picking preexisting characters.

Do we even know one person who wanted these films before they were announced?

Hell, even Vader, Sidious or even Yoda (as much as I would hate them to ruin the mystery of his character with background info) feel vastly more ambitious than either of the above films.

Surprising considering he generally at least tried new things with the prequels. Solo/Fett spin-offs feel incredibly lazy in terms of picking preexisting characters.

Do we even know one person who wanted these films before they were announced?

Hell, even Vader, Sidious or even Yoda (as much as I would hate them to ruin the mystery of his character with background info) feel vastly more ambitious than either of the above films.
Lawrence Kasdan wanted it. He was looking forward to writing for Han again before TFA was even happening. Though I'm not hugely enthusiastic about it, his enthusiasm and getting Lord and Miller on board has made me more hopeful. Like everyone else I'd have preferred an Obi-Wan spin-off with Ewan. I'd prefer a Han prequel to one based on Sidious or Yoda as well though.

Surfinn

Lawrence Kasdan wanted it. He was looking forward to writing for Han again before TFA was even happening. Though I'm not hugely enthusiastic about it, his enthusiasm and getting Lord and Miller on board has made me more hopeful. Like everyone else I'd have preferred an Obi-Wan spin-off with Ewan. I'd prefer a Han prequel to one based on Sidious or Yoda as well though.

Right but just because Kasdan wanted it doesn't mean it's a great idea. Not saying it won't be good, but my point was that there's a plethora of other spin-offs that could have been vastly more interesting. Maybe my specific examples weren't the best (they weren't serious suggestions) but, in an extension of my original point, I think spin-offs would be MUCH better suited with characters who can directly impact the major plotlines established in the OT, PT and ST. It would be nice if the spin-offs provide more information or fill in a lot of the gaps between films. A Solo movie just feels like a lazy cash grab. Again, not saying it can't be well done but really.. what has more potential to be more meaningful to fans and satisfactorily provide background information for the main movies? Obi-Wan is much more strongly connected to the backbone of the SW saga whereas Han was just off doing some adventure that's significantly less related or impactful to the universe, since he hasn't met any of the key players.

And it wouldn't be a huge deal if they wanted to eventually do a Han film as an independent adventure inside of the SW universe, but I'd personally want to start with films that have more of an impact on the franchise.. to really get people on board with the idea of doing SW films that aren't main episodes.

Obi-Wan is a fucking no brainer. Surprised they didn't want to do it first.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I think they have enough sense to do Han right, im strangely not worried about it at all, of all the spin offs they know this is the hardest to do, so its gonna get all hands on to make sure its right.

Right but just because Kasdan wanted it doesn't mean it's a great idea. Not saying it won't be good, but my point was that there's a plethora of other spin-offs that could have been vastly more interesting. Maybe my specific examples weren't the best but, in an extension of my original point, I think spin-offs would be MUCH better suited with characters who can directly impact the major plotlines established in the OT, PT and ST. It would be nice if the spin-offs provide more information or fill in a lot of the gaps between films. A Solo movie just feels like a lazy cash grab. Again, not saying it can't be well done but really.. what has more potential to be more meaningful to fans and satisfactorily provide background information for the main movies? Obi-Wan is much more strongly connected to the backbone of the SW saga whereas Han was just off doing some adventure that's significantly less related or impactful to the universe, since he hasn't met any of the key players.

And it wouldn't be a huge deal if they wanted to eventually do a Han film as an independent adventure inside of the SW universe, but I'd personally want to start with films that have more of an impact on the franchise.. to really get people on board with the idea of doing SW films that aren't main episodes.

I actually think the fact it won't provide background info for the main movies is an advantage, not a hindrance. I'm hoping the spin-offs will encourage a focus on less important characters and avoid worrying over filling in every little unknown detail. Most of us would agree the prequels tried to fill in too much of that background info and it ended up weighing the whole thing down. Kasdan confirming that the film's more of a random adventure a decade or so before ANH is more interesting to me than Han's 'origin story' so I've been more on board since. I don't think every film has to focus on some big event.

sphagnum

Banned
I think Lucas just wanted to put out movies that would be safe bets. The whole point of starting up the ST was that he wanted to sell Lucasfilm so that the company didn't spiral into irrelevance once he retired. He maintained for years that he had no story ideas for what happens after RotJ because that was the end, and that the saga was complete with I - VI ("“Han and Leia probably did get married. They settled down. She became a senator, and they got a nice little house with a white picket fence. Han Solo is out there cooking burgers on the grill. Is that a movie? I don’t think so.”") However, George being George, he changed his mind because if he was able to build hype for a sequel trilogy then he could get more for Lucasfilm. The original plan was for him to direct VII and then sell the company and hand it off. So the spinoff ideas were probably more to show the potential value of the acquisition.

prag16

Banned

Yeah, and it has sounded like Ewan would consider doing it if the opportunity came about based on things he's said.

Solo is risky because the casting is so important (and the jury's out on how it'll work out); the guy they picked looks okay, but he has a TALL order in front of him to sell himself as Han frickin Solo.

With Obi Wan, they already have THE actor. Some purists will say he's not a young Guinness, but he's obviously the next best thing.

I have a feeling Obi Wan will show up in Rebels. If that's where they filling in the missing pieces to his story, that feels like kind of a waste. We'll see.

Obi-Wan has enough potential for an entire trilogy or series. Maybe they're waiting until after Episode IX to do it so it won't overshadow the main saga.

Obi-Wan has enough potential for an entire trilogy or series. Maybe they're waiting until after Episode IX to do it so it won't overshadow the main saga.

I've said before that if they do an Obi-Wan trilogy, it could be a great Saga replacement between the end of the sequel trilogy with IX and the beginning of the fourth trilogy. Since he's a major Saga character spanning two trilogies/six movies (plus Clone Wars) and it would help fill in the gap between the first two Saga trilogies, I think Obi-Wan focused stories could scratch a similar itch to the core Saga films. That allows them to continue with the current release schedule (Saga films in odd years, Anthology films in even years) while also giving them some time for the "true" fourth trilogy, which I really hope doesn't start until at least close to a decade after IX. I really love the idea of the proper Saga trilogies as "generational events" and would rather that didn't end. An Obi-Wan trilogy would get them to 8 years between IX and X, which is about the absolute minimum time-gap I'd want (a full decade would be better, maybe 12 years as the ideal).

Hagi

What are people actually wanting from an Obi-Wan film? people are always going on about it but never say what exactly it should be about. Fett and Solo prequels I can understand but I don't get the need to fill in what happened to Obi-Wan post RotS outside of him staying on Tatooine to be near Luke. Why can't the guy just have led a quiet life until A New Hope.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
So the Finn/Rey Romance, while most never thought it was anything, seems off the cards

Variety: I loved the developing romance between your character, Finn and Rey in The Force Awakens. How is that romance evolving in the next chapter?

Boyega: I mean, we didn’t establish a romance in seven; we never played it that way. Daisy and I, we’re friends.

Variety: So there’s no romance?

Boyega: Yes, Finn and Rey – they’re just friends. Finn is a stormtrooper, so he doesn’t really know what’s going on. So the romance thing is something that’s going to be interesting in the next installment. It’s not going to go the way you think it’s going to go.

sphagnum

Banned
What are people actually wanting from an Obi-Wan film? people are always going on about it but never say what exactly it should be about. Fett and Solo prequels I can understand but I don't get the need to fill in what happened to Obi-Wan post RotS outside of him staying on Tatooine to be near Luke. Why can't the guy just have led a quiet life until A New Hope.

Because we want more Obi-Wan.

Boyega: Yes, Finn and Rey – they’re just friends. Finn is a stormtrooper, so he doesn’t really know what’s going on. So the romance thing is something that’s going to be interesting in the next installment. It’s not going to go the way you think it’s going to go.

What's that supposed to mean? He clearly understands relationships ("You got a boyfriend? A cute boyfriend?") so it would be weird if they suddenly turned him aromantic because "Stormtroopers aren't allowed to have partners" or something.

Or maybe

Maybe

He doesn't understand that Poe is hitting on him

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Finn and Rey even got interrupted by BB8 when they were about to say something like that would usually go like "I love you" or a kiss in the millennium falcon.

Mr Cola

Because we want more Obi-Wan.

What's that supposed to mean? He clearly understands relationships ("You got a boyfriend? A cute boyfriend?") so it would be weird if they suddenly turned him aromantic because "Stormtroopers aren't allowed to have partners" or something.

Or maybe

Maybe

He doesn't understand that Poe is hitting on him

I think it means that Rey is the first person he ever "connected" with, because of his lifestyle (though one could argue he connected with the guy who died in the beginning, hence making his death more impactful). I think he also connected with Poe, I think Finn is probably just discovering a world he didnt knew and relationships he didnt think he could have and, quite easily, probably reading into relationships more than he would with experience.

So basically Reys the first girl he has known who he has had a connection with and he probably mistakes that for something more.

GhaleonEB

Finn and Rey even got interrupted by BB8 when they were about to say something like that would usually go like "I love you" or a kiss in the millennium falcon.

They get interrupted by the vent blowing below the deck; Finn was about to tell Rey he wasn't with the Resistance. They'd just exchanged names, it was a bit early for love confessions. :p

Prompto

Banned
Sounds like Poe has a larger role in Episode VIII

It's clear that Poe Dameron is a far bigger deal in Episode VIII. Rumors suggested that the filmmakers enlarged the role because of the response to Isaac's performance, but he suggests it's simply because the character is no longer marked for death. "In the new film, there's a lot more to do," Isaac says. "What happens now is the heroes get tested. All three of them" – Poe, Daisy Ridley's Rey and John Boyega's Finn – "get tested immensely." And how's BB-8 doing? "BB-8's doing all right. BB-8 gets tested too! Everybody gets tested! It's the dark second chapter, but not really dark."

Mr Cola

I suppose he means its dark the way Star Wars can be dark, which is dark for Star wars but in general film terms, not immensely so.

GhaleonEB

I suppose he means its dark the way Star Wars can be dark, which is dark for Star wars but in general film terms, not immensely so.

Yeah. Empire is the "dark" entry, but it's also pretty consistently hilarious. TFA went to some pretty serious places and landed that balance as well. I'm guessing it just means this is not a chapter that ends with the good guys being neatly triumphant, which is a pretty basic second act.

Glad his role is properly fleshed out.

Surfinn

Yeah. Empire is the "dark" entry, but it's also pretty consistently hilarious. TFA went to some pretty serious places and landed that balance as well. I'm guessing it just means this is not a chapter that ends with the good guys being neatly triumphant, which is a pretty basic second act.

Glad his role is properly fleshed out.

Empire, IMO, balanced everything near perfectly and is the most well rounded SW ever created. I'm hoping his "but not really dark" is referring to this balancing act.

Mr Cola

Also dark and serious are two different things, I hope the stakes are real and felt in the next one because other than Finn (Who we know is fine) and Han (Who isnt in 8) ep7 ended up a bright hopeful note.

I still think Reys potential turn is a very interesting idea that i hope they go with.

Surfinn

Also dark and serious are two different things, I hope the stakes are real and felt in the next one because other than Finn (Who we know is fine) and Han (Who isnt in 8) ep7 ended up a bright hopeful note.

I still think Reys potential turn is a very interesting idea that i hope they go with.

The hero in the story won't turn to the dark side. Unless they aren't following the hero's journey at all (big mistake) and Rey is somehow transformed into a villain and someone else becomes the hero, which would be a more significant flop than the prequels, story wise.

If no one dies, there are no steakes!

Not at all. Look at Empire. No one died and the stakes were as high as they've ever been. This is a big misunderstanding that pushes a lot of forced drama in movies/shows, IMO. Writers don't know how to create the drama so they just kill someone. Not saying you CANNOT kill, obviously, as it worked in VII, but you absolutely do NOT need to kill to raise the stakes.

Top Bottom