• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield - Official Gameplay Trailer Reveal (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We pushed back Elder Scrolls 6 for this? Ok I guess.

I'm still buying day 1, but hype for me has decreased a bit. A little too action oriented for what I want in a Bethesda title. Hopefully the actual game delivers more than the trailer in that regard. I could give two shits less about base and ship building.

I really hope they manage to implement seamless ground-to-space travel. Even if the planets’ surfaces and space are different cells, surely they can fake the transition to make it look seamless? It’s not like the 3d terrain of the planet immediately pops into view the moment you get close to it; all you see from space is a texture of the surface. If you enter the atmosphere it should take a while until you’re close enough to see actual modeled terrain; they should use this time to hide the loading of the planet’s cell. Thanks to SSDs this shouldn’t be too hard.

If necessary they can make seamless traversal be exclusive to XBox and PCs with SSDs, while PCs with older HDDs have a short loading sequence.
Yeah sure, right after they figure out seamless transition into houses.

Creation engine man. I'm expecting loading screens. Luckily they should all be very short.

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
Yeah sure, right after they figure out seamless transition into houses.

Creation engine man. I'm expecting loading screens. Luckily they should all be very short.

Well, my thought is that the time it takes from entering a planet’s atmosphere until the the planet’s actual 3d surface comes into view could be used to hide the loading in the background. It’s not really seamless; they could just make it look like it is. You can’t really do that with a house, since it would only take a second to open the door and walk in.

Topher

Gold Member
Of course i do what? :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Have a PC. Obviously you are lying about that, you fraud.

Rooster Teeth Hair GIF by Achievement Hunter

Last edited:
We watched Starfield gameplay multiple times - here is our take on it and skeptisism. This was written/done by one of my writers, so the opinion is not mine. Although, I do agree with a few of his points.

Overall, we're both excited for different reasons but also have a few concerns as well. Either way, fun times ahead!

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Biggest Bethesda fan on earth right here...

Couldn't be more dissapointed; I wanted Skyrim in Space, got a planet exploring game... meh.

Still excited as fucking hell lol... even a dissapointment in Bethesda RPG direction is still hype... game looks amazing.. I still would rather have had like 3 big planets to explore, not a bunch of cities on their own planet + all that mining and exploration crap lol

Last edited:

Razvedka

Banned
It looks a bit ragged to be honest. The bar has been 'raised' for alot of the stuff its trying to do in the past 6 years.

There are direct comparisons to NMS and quite honestly I think that game holds its own from a visual fidelity perspective against Starfield, while retaining a similar portion of gameplay mechanics (planet exploration, procedural generated worlds, space combat, settlements, ships, etc).

Just by looking at it, the animations, how it renders certain things it is very clear this is still CreationEngine/Gamebryo. I'm hoping its amazing, I really do love Bethesda games despite them swinging and missing a bit with FO4/FO76. But I think its clear that some changes have to happen with them. Its not even necessarily that they need 'more people', maybe they don't, but yeah I think some big changes internally must happen. These trailers and Todd talking is always their 'best foot forward'. We all know how their execution is in practice.

So from that perspective, the very best they had to wow me for the first time on Starfield was kind of 'meh'. I already own NMS. You're six years too late to this party, and NMS is still dropping big content updates for free. From an FPS perspective, we've had some pretty incredible entries where gunplay is concerned in the past 6 years.

What does that leave? Plot, RPG elements. That's what Bethesda has left to work with, but if I am being honest they've been sucking at both their last batch of entries. FO4 was a categorically a step down from FO3 let alone NV on these points, and FO76 was an abomination (though I appreciate they technically didn't make that game themselves).

Metnut

It looks reallly grey. Was hoping for more lush or dense environments but what they showed didn’t look all much different than a lot of Fallout stuff. Surprised this has been under development for so long. Maybe theres more still to come.

Dutchy

Banned
Was really excited for this but somehow it looks almost jankier than Bethesda's other stuff. And I'm very afraid that the 'vast open world' is going to be mostly nothingburger.

Those numbers are all wrong, if you talk with every character when you meet the king and all the sidequest characters in the first village before actually entering the forbidden west we are over 20 charas already.

In fw any small interaction with npcs that gives you a quest are motion captured or just hight quality, even small ass commissions.

I was not only talking about primary and secondary characters.

Ironically, aloy looks less natural than some tertiary characters.

I’m not bashing it, big fan of Horizon. When does the game properly start? I played maybe 20 hours before I jumped to Elden Ring. I didn’t talk to more than 20 people during that time, unless you count random NPC non-close up chatter.
According to google the game has 41 characters, 18 main characters. Close enough I’d say but fair enough I was wrong with 20 people total. 👍
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt12496904/fullcredits/cast
HFW has 258 voice actors. Around 50 of those are generic 'additional voices' but also a good bunch of the actors are credited for two or three different named characters voiceover so the final count of the 'relevant' characters shouldn't be very far from the number of the actors. This should give you a better graspe of the scope of the game

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt12496904/fullcredits/cast
HFW has 258 voice actors. Around 50 of those are generic 'additional voices' but also a good bunch of the actors are credited for two or three different named characters voiceover so the final count of the 'relevant' characters shouldn't be very far from the number of the actors. This should give you a better graspe of the scope of the game
This is a Starfield thread pal.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
It looks a bit ragged to be honest. The bar has been 'raised' for alot of the stuff its trying to do in the past 6 years.

There are direct comparisons to NMS and quite honestly I think that game holds its own from a visual fidelity perspective against Starfield, while retaining a similar portion of gameplay mechanics (planet exploration, procedural generated worlds, space combat, settlements, ships, etc).

Just by looking at it, the animations, how it renders certain things it is very clear this is still CreationEngine/Gamebryo. I'm hoping its amazing, I really do love Bethesda games despite them swinging and missing a bit with FO4/FO76. But I think its clear that some changes have to happen with them. Its not even necessarily that they need 'more people', maybe they don't, but yeah I think some big changes internally must happen. These trailers and Todd talking is always their 'best foot forward'. We all know how their execution is in practice.

So from that perspective, the very best they had to wow me for the first time on Starfield was kind of 'meh'. I already own NMS. You're six years too late to this party, and NMS is still dropping big content updates for free. From an FPS perspective, we've had some pretty incredible entries where gunplay is concerned in the past 6 years.

What does that leave? Plot, RPG elements. That's what Bethesda has left to work with, but if I am being honest they've been sucking at both their last batch of entries. FO4 was a categorically a step down from FO3 let alone NV on these points, and FO76 was an abomination (though I appreciate they technically didn't make that game themselves).
And yet, everyone in this thread bashing the game will be there day. fucking. One. Funny how that works..

You guys try way too hard to convince yourselves of anything else. There isn't one person in this thread who isn't going to play this game the day it releases. Fans and naysayers alike.. it is what it is.

Kikorin

I see why people are comparing this to NMS, but I guess are going to be really different. Maybe fatures wise are going to be similar, but Starfield will basically be an RPG like other Bethesda games, NMS is more like "sandbox in space". Anyway I was expecting something more original, but i guess the idea was very groundbreaking when they started developing it, then years have passed and now is no more that much impressive. Anyway Bethesda RPGs are still unique in gaming, so this will be worth even with all the jankiness.

Stare-Bear

Banned
They really missed a beat here by having the first gameplay interaction be the harvesting of resources in a way that is identical to NMS.

Didn't like the way the creatures are waiting for the player to get close before "waking up". Ages a game by 20 years when stuff like that was done to save on memory allocation.

I see why people are comparing this to NMS, but I guess are going to be really different. Maybe fatures wise are going to be similar, but Starfield will basically be an RPG like other Bethesda games, NMS is more like "sandbox in space". Anyway I was expecting something more original, but i guess the idea was very groundbreaking when they started developing it, then years have passed and now is no more that much impressive. Anyway Bethesda RPGs are still unique in gaming, so this will be worth even with all the jankiness.
NMS is a skeleton of a game with almost nothing fleshed out inside it. Starfield will add the rest of the game.

They both look similar, but NMS barely even has anything to it. No real story, characters, combat, quests, and on. Maybe they've changed some of that since I played it. But literally everything that you actually do in the game is mostly missing from NMS. The comparisons between the two are obvious, but I think it will make Starfield look good. Cities, NPCs, combat, story, and on and on.

Starfield

kinda funny that my leak here from a few months ago got deleted bc I didn't list a source and now pretty much everything on it turned out to be true.

No voiced protag just got confirmed

if you wanna read the rest go here:

the only stuff that I got wrong was the planets thing bc that was based on old information

and alternate start could have been scrapped based on the gameplay weve seen yesterday but who knows, we'll see

Last edited:

Helghan

Biggest Bethesda fan on earth right here...

Couldn't be more dissapointed; I wanted Skyrim in Space, got a planet exploring game... meh.

Still excited as fucking hell lol... even a dissapointment in Bethesda RPG direction is still hype... game looks amazing.. I still would rather have had like 3 big planets to explore, not a bunch of cities on their own planet + all that mining and exploration crap lol
Why do you have the feeling it's a planet exploring game? I believe that's an aspect of it, but I still expect a big world full of NPCs to interact with and get quests from

Lognor

Banned
Gee, what a totally rational, not-at-all incendiary response.

Compared to how HFW looks at 4K HDR, especially after the latest patch, what they showed of Starfield looked like a pile of poo -- and that was using the most optimal conditions possible in order to build the gameplay trailer. It's going to need at least another full year in the oven for visual polishing alone.
Comparing an open world game to HFW? LOL

is anyone else worried about the 1000 planets? makes me feel like most of them will be repetitive and not uniqely designed. which isnt what i want. cut it down and make each planet unique and interesting to explore. overall the potential for this game is huge but it could end up being disappointing aswell.

A.Romero

kinda funny that my leak here from a few months ago got deleted bc I didn't list a source and now pretty much everything on it turned out to be true.

No voiced protag just got confirmed

if you wanna read the rest go here:

the only stuff that I got wrong was the planets thing bc that was based on old information

and alternate start could have been scrapped based on the gameplay weve seen yesterday but who knows, we'll see

1000 planets with Skyrim sized playable maps. That's a lot.

Wasn't really tracking this game but I'm interested now. It's coming on Gamepass so I don't think there is anything to hate about it.

IntentionalPun

Why do you have the feeling it's a planet exploring game? I believe that's an aspect of it, but I still expect a big world full of NPCs to interact with and get quests from

Maybe more of the impression they gave.. but it's also just sort of naturally what happens when you have stuff on different planets. I've been disappointed about that aspect since it was announced TBH. Them throwing around 1000 planets just doesn't make me feel good about that.

I want a massive map designed to be traversed on foot.. not something I have to get into a spaceship to get to the next "part" and deal with some janky half-baked flying mechanic which I'll probably skip and do "fast travel" for most of the time.

I'm expecting hand crafted "cities" on different planets I have to fly around to get to + 1000s of planets w/ jack shit on them but some alien creatues, and I don't want either of those things really.

Arcadialane

is anyone else worried about the 1000 planets? makes me feel like most of them will be repetitive and not uniqely designed. which isnt what i want. cut it down and make each planet unique and interesting to explore. overall the potential for this game is huge but it could end up being disappointing aswell.
1000 Planets gives me the same feeling when a dev tells us their game take '100 hours' to complete. I have to ask how much filler we're going to get.

I guess they think people hear big number, get exited?

Last edited:

Dutchy

Banned
And yet, everyone in this thread bashing the game will be there day. fucking. One. Funny how that works..

You guys try way too hard to convince yourselves of anything else. There isn't one person in this thread who isn't going to play this game the day it releases. Fans and naysayers alike.. it is what it is.
I can name numerous games that I was extremely excited for but eventually weren't even worth a bargain bin purchase. I think you're reaching too hard. Most of us aren't twelve years old anymore. We can reason beyond our self inflated excitement.

The majority of people who buy games Day 1 are stupid anyway.

IntentionalPun

1000 Planets gives me the same feeling when a dev tells us their game take '100 hours' to complete. I have to ask how much filler we're going to get.

I guess they think people hear big number, get exited?
Really just depends on what you enjoy, whether the gameplay loop is fun to you something that is filler to one person is something another person would love an endless amount of.

People get excited because... well they like the idea of the gameplay loop of planet exploration, and that excites them.

Last edited:

Helghan

Maybe more of the impression they gave.. but it's also just sort of naturally what happens when you have stuff on different planets. I've been disappointed about that aspect since it was announced TBH. Them throwing around 1000 planets just doesn't make me feel good about that.

I want a massive map designed to be traversed on foot.. not something I have to get into a spaceship to get to the next "part" and deal with some janky half-baked flying mechanic which I'll probably skip and do "fast travel" for most of the time.

I'm expecting hand crafted "cities" on different planets I have to fly around to get to + 1000s of planets w/ jack shit on them but some alien creatues, and I don't want either of those things really.
The 1000 planets quote indeed gives that vibe, but I don't see a difference between going by horse or spaceship. I see the 1000 planets as 1000 caves, and the whole universe as the Skyrim map.

Arcadialane

People get excited because... well they like the idea of the gameplay loop of planet exploration, and that excites them.
Not sure we disagree. Sure if the gameplay loop is fun, and each of the 1000 planet is is filled with great things to explore that's great.

Im talking about if they end up copy/pasted, dull, and repetitive, which tends to be the case the longer the game is, or when you have 1000 planets to fill rather than say a quarter of that.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Been seeing a lot of "I wonder how many of these 1000 planets will be handcrafted" posts

Oh, the naivety

Game looks great, but I was expecting less combat.

In Fallout games you had VATS to make it interesting (and playable), in Skyrim you had magic

Here you have ... nothing. Plays like your standard 1st person shooter + jetpack.
I think that we are gonna have a multitude of space magic powers, traps, strange weapons etc.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Watched the 4K upload. Looks better than it did in the stream of course, but the performance is really shockingly bad. Like, worse than Elden Ring. All that stuttering. We'll see if they can iron that out in the next 6 months.

Fredrik

It's nuts how much effort they put into mocapping every little side quest and choregraphing every single dialogue tree in the game.

And completely unnecessary. It's clear thats why the game took 5 years to make. They spent their entire budget on cutscenes and character models.
I don’t know about that, it’s a big game, new maps, many new machines, new gameplay mechanics, new charactermodels. It all takes time.

Previously I questioned why Starfield was delayed as well. Doing finishing touches until 2023 seemed unreasonable.

But after the trailer when thinking about the scale it all starts to make sense…

I mean how is it even possible to make thousand planets with the fidelity they showed?

I want to know how they did it. They must’ve created some procedural generation tool. Different type of planets; barren, vegetated, ice, lava, water, gas, stone, mountains, etc. Then some surface randomizer. And a vegetation randomizer. Then they have 1000 different maps to start fiddling with. Then they have to fill each one of them with dungeons or outposts. Even with just one per planet they would need to handcraft 1000, that’s not happening so I assume they’re using a tool here too. Add some alien life. Can’t have the same creatures on different planets unless they story is about some aliens are parasiting and move from planet to planet to infestate. So a generation tool again. And the people. Etc.

I want a deep dive on this. It’s too many maps to fill even with a game they’ve supposedly worked on for a decade.

Like I said before I doubt I’ve visited even 300 planets during my nearly 500 hours of No Man’s Sky. There are lots of samey planets and outposts there so that’ll be the biggest challenge for Bethesda as well. Even with some procedural generation to get variation on the surface they need lots of different types of planets. I don’t know how many we saw, maybe 10.

dem

Watched the 4K upload. Looks better than it did in the stream of course, but the performance is really shockingly bad. Like, worse than Elden Ring. All that stuttering. We'll see if they can iron that out in the next 6 months.

For real... I don't care how good it looks in stills if it hitches like that. You could tell they were trying to not make quick movements in the demo.
Unforgivably bad.

A solid 30fps is bad enough... this looked unplayable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom