• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield preload is some week in the future (August -1st)

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The radio silence is a bit weird. We are less than 3 weeks away from release and there are 0 marketing or previews or any new footage.
Interesting times when Armored Core 6 seems to be keeping up with Starfield in terms of Youtube traction.

lepc9jO.png

GIoWa3g.png

They could be doing more to promote it I think. But it's going to be a big launch either way.

Fredrik

I am afraid it's just gonna get pushed out the door all buggy and fucked up like fallout 76 or cyberpunk
No real worries here, just hoping they won’t mess up the Steam release now that they’re in Microsoft’s lap.
Bethesda has been playing it internally for a looong time now so I’m thinking it shouldn’t be too buggy. And it’s not multiplayer, they’re doing the thing they do best here.

That said, people should be prepared to see platform warriors vacuum the internet and do exaggerated bug compilation videos. It’ll be a noisy launch for sure.

I have high expectations but I’m playing Skyrim Anniversary right now and if Bethesda can capture what they have there and adapt it to a sci-fi setting it’ll be awesome. Nearly finished the Solstheim black book content yesterday, hoping for some wild stuff like that in Starfield too so it’s not too grounded in science.
Just over two more weeks to wait now!

Majukun

sad that my laptop cannot handle the game despite it bbeing on gamepass

but i do have games in the backlog anyway

Stafford

I am afraid it's just gonna get pushed out the door all buggy and fucked up like fallout 76 or cyberpunk

Why do some still believe this? This game has been in development for a long ass time and if we are to believe what was said during ABK trial, MS gave them a lot more extra time. It was supposed to drop much sooner.

At some point a game is done, also, we saw a shit load during the Direct. And also, I know little about the guy but Matt Booty basically said this will be the least buggy launch yet for BGS. I just want to believe it's going to play fine, look great too.

I believe they said what we have seen was on a PC with specs similar to XSX. That they wanted to be more transparent about that. Let's hope that was all genuine. We will find out very, very soon.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The concern is real, with a Bethesda game we know there's genuine reason but I don't think they would be announcing chairs, controllers, headsets, graphics cards and CPUs. There's limited edition PC being built right now for a giveaway. All these things only really happen if everything's looking OK. Saying that, marketing isn't really going to know what's going on behind the scenes.

Fingers crossed all is OK.

Stafford

Ok so wheres the unedited 30 fps locked gameplay at?

I do not think we will get that though. Just like how they never done playable demos for the public, they never released unedited gameplay for Skyrim, Fallout 3 and 4. At least I don't recall it. Sure it would have been nice now they they are at Xbox to have a Xbox Series video of the game, but alas.

The tolling on here is getting silly now I would imagine the hype machine starts at Games Com.
We're in the modern era, you don't have to push a game PR wise until a week or 2 before the release.

Fredrik

I believe they said what we have seen was on a PC with specs similar to XSX. That they wanted to be more transparent about that. Let's hope that was all genuine. We will find out very, very soon.
When did they say that?? All I’ve heard is that it’s the Xbox version. And personally I’ve been concerned that they haven’t shown the PC version.

Stafford

When did they say that?? All I’ve heard is that it’s the Xbox version. And personally I’ve been concerned that they haven’t shown the PC version.

Iirc Phil said this during the Xcast interview? He said they wanted to be more clear about what they were showing. I honestly wish they had said it was Xbox all the time. I genuinely don't remember them saying it was Xbox. Do you remember where it was said?

I really hope what we saw visually is indeed XSX because it looks great. That with a stable 30fps and I'm OK.

Last edited:

Luipadre

Gold Member
I read this as Pete Hines reassuring himself in the middle of the development maelstrom 🫠

'Take a deep breath. We have an amazing team. We know what we are doing' 👌🏻😔👌🏻

Yeah i feel like another shitstorm is coming, but hopefully im wrong, because im really hyped for this one. We haven't heard about the gold announcement either yeah? Which is also weird

Stafford

I don't think we should worry. GC is up soon too. But one thing is for sure, Fallout 4 had been announced Gold by now. I think that was a month before release? I'm not sure though.

Fredrik

Iirc Phil said this during the Xcast interview? He said they wanted to be more clear about what they were showing. I honestly wish they had said it was Xbox all the time. I genuinely don't remember them saying it was Xbox. Do you remember where it was said?

I really hope what we saw visually is indeed XSX because it looks great. That with a stable 30fps and I'm OK.
Can’t find anything about it running on PC. Can’t find anything about it running on Xbox either.
I was so sure they said ”Here it is running on Xbox Series X” at the start of the direct. Can’t find it now, maybe I just assumed it because of the button prompts. Only thing I can find is IGN’s Ryan saying he played it for preview on Xbox Series X.

If they’re sneaky and showing the PC version pretending it’s Xbox it’ll be yet another PR blunder. They need to stop doing that. Just be real.

Pedro Motta

The concern is real, with a Bethesda game we know there's genuine reason but I don't think they would be announcing chairs, controllers, headsets, graphics cards and CPUs. There's limited edition PC being built right now for a giveaway. All these things only really happen if everything's looking OK. Saying that, marketing isn't really going to know what's going on behind the scenes.

Fingers crossed all is OK.
Cyberpunk had yellow chairs distributed to all the Youtubers.

Nonehxc

Yeah i feel like another shitstorm is coming, but hopefully im wrong, because im really hyped for this one. We haven't heard about the gold announcement either yeah? Which is also weird
I'm very hyped, but also fully prepared and eager to see them do the Homer Roll down the ravine for the lulz 😆

homer simpson jump GIF

One thing I'm expecting(dreaming?) is that gunplay is much more rewarding than, say, Fallout 4, for example. I don't know how the current fermentation of the Creation Engine can handle gunplay now, but sci-fi and immersive sims have always been my lifeblood, and I need that itch scratched now that almost every shooter and his grandma goes to the GaaS thrashcan. I mean, a Bethesda role-playing game with tight gunplay in first person?

Inject it into my veins RIGHT NOW. 🙏🏻🤨💉🩸

Would be a pity having all those folks in 343i with nothing to do and all those folks in iD who could lend a hand, and not tap into them. Of course, iD commands and 343i does as they're told, I don't want 343i taking the lead and fuggling things up. 🥲

Thyuda

Meh, I just cannot get myself to care about this game. Let's hope it's not going to be an absolute bug fiesta right out of the gate.

Topher

Gold Member
I get what you're saying, but the lack of them is also unfortunately indicative of problems with the game.

I would not read too much into that. Previews are not indicative of a game having or not having problems. Redfall had plenty of previews, for example.

That isn't to say Starfield won't be a buggy mess at launch. Like I said above, I'm expecting it.

Last edited:

Mobilemofo

Going gold doesn't mean anything anymore, Cyberpunk delayed after they went gold.
Should be in the stages of how a chicken has its eggs.

1. It's been fucked. 2. The buns in the oven. 3. It's fully formed. 4. Polished to fuck. 5. Bosh. The little fuckers here, polished and stable as fuck.

Outcome: Winning.😄

Buggy Loop

I'm very hyped, but also fully prepared and eager to see them do the Homer Roll down the ravine for the lulz 😆

homer simpson jump GIF

One thing I'm expecting(dreaming?) is that gunplay is much more rewarding than, say, Fallout 4, for example. I don't know how the current fermentation of the Creation Engine can handle gunplay now, but sci-fi and immersive sims have always been my lifeblood, and I need that itch scratched now that almost every shooter and his grandma goes to the GaaS thrashcan. I mean, a Bethesda role-playing game with tight gunplay in first person?

Inject it into my veins RIGHT NOW. 🙏🏻🤨💉🩸

Would be a pity having all those folks in 343i with nothing to do and all those folks in iD who could lend a hand, and not tap into them. Of course, iD commands and 343i does as they're told, I don't want 343i taking the lead and fuggling things up. 🥲

Didn’t ID software help them for the gunplay? Should be damn good. Looked good in the preview.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I get what you're saying, but the lack of them is also unfortunately indicative of problems with the game.
As Topher Topher said, even previews aren't that helpful nowadays. They are a double-edged sword.
  • No previews = The game has issues.
  • Previews = Curated gameplay that shill journalists hype up just because they got invited to an exclusive club and want to continue to be in that club.
This is how previews can be.

FVgpU59.jpg

https://www.godisageek.com/2023/03/redfall-is-a-serious-game-of-the-year-contender-hands-on-preview/

Unfortunately, the only way to judge a game is after a week of release when a bunch of non-fanboys user reviews starts coming in. Steam user reviews are helpful in that regard because they also show you the number of hours logged. User reviews on Metacritic, on the other hand, are mostly fanboys and console warriors review-bombing.

Last edited:

SenkiDala

We know when the preload is starting on XSX ? I thought it'd be on the 9th as they said. I've a fast connexion so anyways it would take 30 minutes to download but I'm hurry to download it and have it ready to launch.

ReBurn

Gold Member
We know when the preload is starting on XSX ? I thought it'd be on the 9th as they said. I've a fast connexion so anyways it would take 30 minutes to download but I'm hurry to download it and have it ready to launch.
You can request the preload through the Xbox mobile app now. It didn't download everything for me, though. Just 314.8 MB.

splattered

Man i just don't have the space for this on my internal or external drives haha i guess i will have to move stuff around. God i miss the days of all my games just fitting on large external drives :(

Pelta88

You can request the preload through the Xbox mobile app now. It didn't download everything for me, though. Just 314.8 MB.

That doesn't make sense.

314mb?

Sounds like all you downloaded was the download permissions/instruction to get the game at a later date. That, or a dashboard config.

Last edited:
Top Bottom