• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck |OT| Nintendo Switch 2

Codes 208

So im getting into emulation via emudeck, been having a hankering to play some of my old favorites like raging blast 2, but im new to emulating anything above the fifth gen, would it be easier to emulate the 360 version or ps3 version?

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

So im getting into emulation via emudeck, been having a hankering to play some of my old favorites like raging blast 2, but im new to emulating anything above the fifth gen, would it be easier to emulate the 360 version or ps3 version?
as a rule of thumb 360 is easier to emulate, but I'm not sure how great the deck is at emulating that gen specifically. Might need to tempter your expectations. The emulator is called xenia, heres a couple vids on it

Last edited:

Codes 208

as a rule of thumb 360 is easier to emulate, but I'm not sure how great the deck is at emulating that gen specifically. Might need to tempter your expectations. The emulator is called xenia, heres a couple vids on it

Awesome, thank you. And its more to test really, i feel like i was barely able to get my gamecube games to work (sms in particular had a lot of issues due to the haze duplicating characters and objects)

Sleepwalker

Awesome, thank you. And its more to test really, i feel like i was barely able to get my gamecube games to work (sms in particular had a lot of issues due to the haze duplicating characters and objects)

Raging blast 2 actually seems to work very well, I posted an extra video on my previous reply :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Codes 208

Raging blast 2 actually seems to work very well, I posted an extra video on my previous reply :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:
I finally tried it! Im impressed by how well it works after following that video, but now the only issue is that the energy attacks are completely invisible and i cant open xenia without it crashing

Edit: perhaps its a faulty rom, because i tried the first raging blast and that one had some missing textures but all the SFX for energy attacks worked fine

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »
This is the way.
QyJiNSl.jpg

I'm interested if anyone on GAF has actually played Elden Ring on the Deck extensively. I really don't trust youtube e-celebs cause they mostly never show late game areas. I'd like to know if it's possible to keep a stable 30 FPS and at least 2 hours of battery life. I'm thinking of grabbing the game while it's on sale and I haven't really played anything particularly demanding on the Deck.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
There’s like 3-4 decently rated 1TB 2230 drives for $70-80 on Amazon during Prime Day deals. I’m not really familiar with them, but I’m gonna do some quick research and pull the trigger on one today for my son’s Deck.

The 1TB Silicon Power microSD card I have is like $57 right now.

Crazy good deals on all sorts of upgrades.

*edit* bought the fanxiang 1TB 2230 for $71.99. We’ll see how it goes.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I'm interested if anyone on GAF has actually played Elden Ring on the Deck extensively. I really don't trust youtube e-celebs cause they mostly never show late game areas. I'd like to know if it's possible to keep a stable 30 FPS and at least 2 hours of battery life. I'm thinking of grabbing the game while it's on sale and I haven't really played anything particularly demanding on the Deck.
Dunno about the battery life as I play next to an outlet, but 30fps through most of the game is accurate. It plays well on the Deck. I probably spent 60 or so hours on Deck while playing.

Dunno about the battery life as I play next to an outlet, but 30fps through most of the game is accurate. It plays well on the Deck. I probably spent 60 or so hours on Deck while playing.
Thank you. When you say through most of the game do you mean it drops slightly then immediately goes back up to 30 or are there entire areas that the Deck struggles with?

AndrewRyan

For those with multiple sd cards, what is the process for switching cards?

Assuming you don't have to completely shut-down first, but should you at least put it to sleep first? Are there any gotchas when using more than one card?

My memory is a bit foggy as it’s been a while. I don’t recall many dips below 30 but they are out there.
Occasional dips are fine by me. It's when an entire area shits the bed that I'm worried about. I've been watching a lot of videos and they seem to look fine but I've seen a few people say that Weeping Peninsula results in frame rate drops (I imagine due to the rain) but I can't find videos to corroborate it since everyone only seems to showcase Limgrave.

Griffon

I play at 40fps. On low settings (except for AA and AO) and I lower the resolution to 540p with FSR activated on the deck (you could possibly go higher, but I care about battery life).

The 40fps are maintained through all of the game up to the last boss. I think I had some dips under extreme circumstances, but never under 35fps.

Last edited:

Burger

I don't understand these people putting 4TB worth of storage. I have *quite* a few games installed and every time I turn it on I've got hours worth of updates that need to be processed, it's actually quite ridiculous.

Also, Everspace 2 - this game runs like actual dogshit. I've not seen a game run so poorly with so little going on.

I play at 40fps. On low settings (except for AA and AO) and I lower the resolution to 540p with FSR activated on the deck (you could possibly go higher, but I care about battery life).

The 40fps are maintained through all of the game up to the last boss. I think I had some dips under extreme circumstances, but never under 35fps.
Thanks. I haven't really used the Deck's built-in FSR much since the games I play tend to be pretty lightweight. I think the only one I used it on is Control. And yeah, I actually use the Deck as a portable so I try to get as much out of the battery as possible too.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I don't understand these people putting 4TB worth of storage. I have *quite* a few games installed and every time I turn it on I've got hours worth of updates that need to be processed, it's actually quite ridiculous.

Also, Everspace 2 - this game runs like actual dogshit. I've not seen a game run so poorly with so little going on.
Is that done with the m.2 extender and modded backplate? I think I saw some of those on reddit. I don't know about "needing" 4TB unless you were loading up movies or massive rom/iso sets. I have 2TB and it's perfect for my use since I dual boot, have a big emulation collection, and keep about 40 games installed between SteamOS and Windows. I never get hours of updates, though. It's usually little 10-30sec bursts to update the shader cache for each of the installed games.

Gave in and bought Elden Ring since the price on Fanatical was close enough to historical low. Still in Limgrave but I'm happy with what I've seen. I've seen vids and kind of expected it but it seems pretty comparable to what I got on PS4 except it feels like there's less stutter (and the obviously smaller screen). What really surprised me though is the battery life. Estimated battery life was around 3 hours when I expected less than 2. I did cap TDP to 9 and it's too early to say if that might need further tweaking later on but I'm satisfied so far.

Ever modded a Bethesda game? My FO4-Mod-folder alone is 200 GB. So, if people want to have all that stuff on their deck, 4 TB is NOTHING!

Thanks to jshackles jshackles and his informative posts and helpful links, I put Win11 on my Deck (this still sounds like a dirty joke, everytime XD). Am not 100% convinced it is "better", because I really liked the customization options of SteamOS, but just starting everything not steam is a BIG plus.

Little Question: Do you emulate on your Deck? (huehuehue) If so, just through seperate emulators/Retroarch or is there a all-in-one-solution like emudeck for WinDeck? I don't think, my Launchbox will work as seamless on it.

Filben

Just tried out the 'Fantastic' Decky plugin and altered the fan curve marginally. While the temperature interestingly stayed the same for the most part the fan's not revving up that early and is giving me a much quieter gaming experience.

Do recommend!

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Thanks to jshackles jshackles and his informative posts and helpful links, I put Win11 on my Deck (this still sounds like a dirty joke, everytime XD). Am not 100% convinced it is "better", because I really liked the customization options of SteamOS, but just starting everything not steam is a BIG plus.

Little Question: Do you emulate on your Deck? (huehuehue) If so, just through seperate emulators/Retroarch or is there a all-in-one-solution like emudeck for WinDeck? I don't think, my Launchbox will work as seamless on it.
Dual-boot is the way to go. You use SteamOS for Steam and Emu, then Windows for GP PC and EGS.

RAIDEN1

The question is, if the Switch 2 is really releasing in early 2024....then that will give Steam Deck a run for its money....(more than Switch 1 ever could)

Dr.Morris79

The question is, if the Switch 2 is really releasing in early 2024....then that will give Steam Deck a run for its money....(more than Switch 1 ever could)
I dont think it would at all if people woke up abit, the Deck is way more PC orientated than the Switch ever was

True it would purely from people wanting Mario to look better and the solid user base it already has but from the games the Deck has avalible to it then not to me

The Deck will always offer so much more.

Yeah I know it'll get arse whipped but it's still the much better system overall.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I just got my son's Fanxiang 1TB 2230 drive I got for $72 during Amazon Prime Days in the mail. 2230 drives have really dropped in price in the past year. I paid $148 for my WD SN530 1TB last year. I was a little wary of some of these cheaper unfamiliar brands. I looked at a few of them and this one had 4.4/5 rating out of 65 reviews on Amazon. I did about 30min of Google search on the brand and in general they seemed reputable and I saw some pictures of their QA device testing lab that looked good. During the Prime Days they had some more well-known brands like Sabrent Rocket for $105, Corsair for $95, and TeamGroup for $90. I guess I'm cheap and curious, so I went with the Fanxiang.:messenger_grinning_sweat:

It's a single-sided Gen4x4 drive with advertised 5000MB/s read speed.

Some pics:
I didn't have the time to install it into the Deck, and my son is using it, so I put it into my external NVMe-to-USB adapter and checked it out on my PC. Used CrystalDiskInfo to get a look at it and everything checked out so far. Brand new, 100% Health, with 1TB unformatted space.
YlizDrp.jpg

I couldn't test the speed on my PC with the USB adapter, so I quick popped it into my PS5 and did the read test. Came out to 5038MB/s, so as advertised.
L9pX8Yn.jpg

Won't really have an idea of the reliability or longevity of the drive until 5-6 months from now. I have 30 days to return on Amazon, and it has a 3yr warranty. We'll see! Just wanted to share my Deck life.

Leonidas

How long did it take you guys to get used to the Steam Deck controller? Did anyone here not really like the controller at first but then got used to it over time and ended up liking it in the end?

StereoVsn

How long did it take you guys to get used to the Steam Deck controller? Did anyone here not really like the controller at first but then got used to it over time and ended up liking it in the end?
I loved it immediately, but I also like the OG Steam controller (to lesser extent).

It's just very comfortable, much more so then any other handheld I have ever had, including ROG Ally.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've been playing the shit out of Kingdom Hearts, which I picked up for $25 on the Epic store sale after waiting years for it to maybe come to Steam.

The Deck plays the game at a nearly solid 60fps (though cutscenes are 30fps). My only gripe is that it doesn't have cloud saves, which means I'm either going to have to set it up to sync to my NAS for both my Steam Deck and PC, or just play it on the Steam Deck exclusively. Either way, I'm having a blast as my only exposure to the game was watching someone play it way back when it first released on PS2. The package includes six games so that's quite a value for the price and should keep me busy for a while.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart runs quite good from what I've played so far(45-60min). It's best to run it from the internal SSD for shorter rift sequences/load times. The first heavy rift is like 4secs. on internal SSD and 10secs. on microSD. Default settings are pretty much bang on for a solid 30fps experience. It's Medium preset basically with dynamic FSR 2.1 with 30fps target. I raised AF to x4 and lowered motion blur strength. Turned off in game v-sync and went with the built-in Deck limiter to 30fps. In the first hour the only spot that really gave me trouble was the 10secs of walking through the crowd. Other than that it's been really solid.

A couple screens of the game running on Deck...
N3ARq4A.jpg

6kQRPRv.jpg

---
Video I posted in the other thread...

Last edited:

Kupfer

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart runs quite good from what I've played so far(45-60min). It's best to run it from the internal SSD for shorter rift sequences/load times. The first heavy rift is like 4secs. on internal SSD and 10secs. on microSD. Default settings are pretty much bang on for a solid 30fps experience. It's Medium preset basically with dynamic FSR 2.1 with 30fps target. I raised AF to x4 and lowered motion blur strength. Turned off in game v-sync and went with the built-in Deck limiter to 30fps. In the first hour the only spot that really gave me trouble was the 10secs of walking through the crowd. Other than that it's been really solid.

A couple screens of the game running on Deck...
N3ARq4A.jpg

6kQRPRv.jpg
Did you manage to squeeze out a stable 40?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Did you manage to squeeze out a stable 40?
This video is a decent reference for performance.

However, I was testing in the crowd walk-by scene at the beginning of game and you pretty much have to go with 30fps for that segment and the then the later segment when Nefarious' ship rips the Captain Qwark balloon and platform apart. Also a couple of the rifts in first big rift sequence. Even at Very Low with dynamic FSR 2.1 set to 45fps you'll get drops into the high 20s. It seems to hitch/stutter harder with unlocked frame rate and the 45fps dynamic res target and Very Low settings than it does at Medium/Default settings and 30fps target+Deck limiter to 30fps. That said, maybe out of 45min. you'd spend 1min. below 40fps(?). It would be nice if they had a 40fps dynamic res target in-game instead of 45fps.

TLDR: I think this is a 30fps/Medium Preset game.

Last edited:

Filben

Not a fan of the shoulder triggers. They feel too soft and lack a good response, like from the XSX Gamepad or DualSense. Apart from that it feels good and didn't need any time to get used to (except for the grip/back buttons).

Chukhopops

You mean the Steam Controller?

I never got used to it as a « standard » controller and switched back to an Xbox one. Never really managed to control the camera properly using the trackpad.

As a KBM replacement to play on the couch I ended up liking it a lot, mostly to play games like Civ 6, Civ:BE and other turn-based 4X games.

lmimmfn

I have to say non steam games via Heroic Launcher are absolutely terrible.Its fine at the start then loses login details and fails to launch, reenter the credentials in Heroic, may/may not work, might need to update may/may not work.

So the deck is pretty not worth it for non steam games unless you love spending ages trying to get non steam games working again.

Porticus

I have to say non steam games via Heroic Launcher are absolutely terrible.Its fine at the start then loses login details and fails to launch, reenter the credentials in Heroic, may/may not work, might need to update may/may not work.

So the deck is pretty not worth it for non steam games unless you love spending ages trying to get non steam games working again.

If you have lots of games outside steam is recommended to dual boot, is much easier then to play those on windows.

lmimmfn

If you have lots of games outside steam is recommended to dual boot, is much easier then to play those on windows.
Thanks, no, I understand that, performance will be terrible on Windiws though and of course will miss the Linux features.

I just mean anyone on the fence for a Deck should realistically only expect their Steam library to work, games from Epic Store are horrendous(I had Miles Morales working, now its busted)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Thanks, no, I understand that, performance will be terrible on Windiws though and of course will miss the Linux features.

I just mean anyone on the fence for a Deck should realistically only expect their Steam library to work, games from Epic Store are horrendous(I had Miles Morales working, now its busted)
Performance in Windows is actually pretty great now that the system has proper drivers and whatnot. In some cases, better than the default Linux.

The only problem is that it's miles behind in terms of usability and features - stuff like changing TDP on the fly or setting framerate limits is soooo easy in SteamOS, and such a pain in Windows still. It's getting better, but I agree that anyone who purchases this should have realistic expectations of what you're getting yourself into.

Top Bottom