• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steins;Gate 0 |OT| Another Time Dilemma

For what it's worth, I actually have never finished the original Steins;Gate (even though I'm a huge fan and made both OTs lol), only watched the anime to true completion but am still loving Steins;Gate 0.

Obviously I think most people would recommend that you play S;G before S;G0 if you can, but if you've seen the anime, I think that's a decent enough primer. You've got a background into these characters, you've got some level of interest and investment, you should be fine. I know I am!

You don't need to play the original VN. What you are missing out on are some alternate endings that aren't covered, some more in depth explanations behind some of the science, and some fun character moments. None of it is crucial and the anime is among the best ever adaptations of a visual novel. Visual novel adaptations can be difficult because they can contain many different routes laid out in a non linear fashion. Steins;Gate has some different endings you can trigger but for the most part it is a linear main story and thus was easier to adapt without sacrificing much at all. Steins;Gate 0 is actually less linear which is going to make it a bit harder to adapt. Assuming a quality adaptation I think it has the potential to match or exceed the first anime which is saying a lot. Its a long ways off though (think fall 2017 at the earliest, probably sometime in 2018).

I am not sure how you watched Steins;Gate but I would recommend watching the Japanese dub over the english dub. The english dub is FANTASTIC and among the best adaptations ever made IMO but going from english to the Japanese cast in 0 can be jarring. If you already watched it in English I would recommend going back and watching it in Japanese so you get used to the voices and some of the different (minor) translation differences. Both the English and Japanese casts are about as good as it gets.

There is also a movie that follows the events of the first VN/anime. It is a step down from both visual novels but still worth watching. Its been out on bluray in Japan for awhile and is finally getting a dub/U.S. release in March 2017.

Thank you both for taking the time to answer!

I did watch the anime in English dub twice, but a friend of mine did show me the "sequel" OVA with Japanese subs and I did feel like it was a bit underwhelming story-wise, but I still liked it. In terms of going back and watching the JP dub with subtitles, I will go ahead and get that started tomorrow before I get started on Steins;gate 0 -- hopefully next week -- I can finish the anime series in probably a night or two since I can watch it while I'm working my 10 hour shift tomorrow night! On chapter 13 of Final Fantasy XV right now (ugh) which I understand is very close to completing the game, so it's my plan to go straight away into S;g 0 after that's concluded!

I'm excited!

bobawesome

About 19 hours in and I'm enjoying it overall but the visual presentation is a little disappointing on the Vita. Not sure if I'm describing it right but there's a lot of jagged pixelation on the edges of some of the sprites. It really mars the presentation on what's otherwise a beautiful looking game. It's really noticeable during one of the endings
when Okabe gives up and it shows Mayuri, Kurisu, and Maho.

Was the Vita version of the first game like this as well?

antibolo

Banned
Presage or Recognize having so many recycled scenes is a bummer. Maybe it's better when this isn't the last branch you are reading.

Just experiencing this right now, but the other way around (ie. seen that chapter before this one). It's really jarring. The game doesn't consider them the same scenes so you can't just skip the redundant parts. I almost missed an element that was different because I was not paying attention.

flowsnake

Just going into the True Ending, but I don't really understand what the trigger is.

I did The Promised Rinascimento as one of my first endings, but it didn't trigger when I went down the other branch last. I had to start a new game and go through the whole game again. I think the original save I used (just before the shrine I think?) should have been early enough.

Just going into the True Ending, but I don't really understand what the trigger is.

I did The Promised Rinascimento as one of my first endings, but it didn't trigger when I went down the other branch last. I had to start a new game and go through the whole game again. I think the original save I used (just before the shrine I think?) should have been early enough.
The trigger should be receiving the D-RINE after deciding not to turn off the phone at the shrine.

That save should have been early enough if it was before the shrine scene.

flowsnake

Actually I'm an idiot.

I actually made saves inside the two initial branches before I got any endings, so the save I actually started from was slightly too late. I was remembering wrong.

Not sure why I decided to do that, but it made it a bit more annoying than it should have been...

flowsnake

Question about True Ending:

Why was Kagari there in 2025? I'm probably missing something about her whole storyline in that branch. It seemed like she had been impersonating Yuki the whole time, and then died.

Question about True Ending:

Why was Kagari there in 2025? I'm probably missing something about her whole storyline in that branch. It seemed like she had been impersonating Yuki the whole time, and then died.

I think the true ending is not necessarily in the same branch as Vega and Altair (even though it "follows" it). Maybe the idea is that there were an indeterminate number of loops before they reached that penultimate world line where they were finally ready to shift to Steins Gate. Makes sense to me, given Okabe's resolve to try again and again as much as it took.

bobawesome

The ending I just got seemed pretty definitive but I refuse to believe that I somehow managed to hit all the correct flags and trigger the true ending this early. No way.

I'm just throwing thoughts out here for the moment. I'll most likely only come back after getting the Platinum.

Shizuka

The ending I just got seemed pretty definitive but I refuse to believe that I somehow managed to hit all the correct flags and trigger the true ending this early. No way.

I'm just throwing thoughts out here for the moment. I'll most likely only come back after getting the Platinum.

If you access the "clear list" and there are still endings unachieved, that's not the true ending.

antibolo

Banned
I can confirm that this is indeed possible.
I reached the true ending chapter before having found Gehenna's Stigma.

crimilde

Banned
I can't get the trophy for Reading a message and ignoring it on PS4 even though I've done that quite a few times. It's the only one that I'm missing for the Plat ugh.

Also, I've got a question about Promised Rinascimento

How did Kurisu manage to send Okabe back to the beta world line through a d-mail? Am I forgetting something from the first game or from 0? I can't figure this out at all and it's been bugging me.

jonjonaug

I can't get the trophy for Reading a message and ignoring it on PS4 even though I've done that quite a few times. It's the only one that I'm missing for the Plat ugh.

How did Kurisu manage to send Okabe back to the beta world line through a d-mail? Am I forgetting something from the first game or from 0? I can't figure this out at all and it's been bugging me.

That trophy doesn't trigger until after the ending. If you already have all the ends then it should be pretty easy to just skip to the end.

The trophy pops when you hit an ending.

Promised Rinascimento:

It appears that on the Alpha world line Okabe landed on, he had decided to give up on saving Mayuri and destroy the time leap machine. It also seemed like he had never confessed to Kurisu on that world line.

The conclusion I came to was that in that world line Kurisu never showed up in the lab to stop him from destroying the time leap machine. So she sends herself a d-mail telling herself to stop him. This leads to the confession scene we see in Kurisu route of Steins;Gate, and shifts the world to Beta as in the normal progression of events.

crimilde

Banned
The trophy pops when you hit an ending.

Promised Rinascimento:

It appears that on the Alpha world line Okabe landed on, he had decided to give up on saving Mayuri and destroy the time leap machine. It also seemed like he had never confessed to Kurisu on that world line.

The conclusion I came to was that in that world line Kurisu never showed up in the lab to stop him from destroying the time leap machine. So she sends herself a d-mail telling herself to stop him. This leads to the confession scene we see in Kurisu route of Steins;Gate, and shifts the world to Beta as in the normal progression of events.

Ah, that makes sense! Thanks a lot.

That trophy doesn't trigger until after the ending. If you already have all the ends then it should be pretty easy to just skip to the end.

I saw all the endings though, and it hasn't popped up. Should I just skip to the true ending one more time or?

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, that makes sense! Thanks a lot.

I saw all the endings though, and it hasn't popped up. Should I just skip to the true ending one more time or?
I've just got it now on Vita, skipped a message on the chapter before the true end and got it right after it ended.
This game is my 20th platinum.
Great follow up and pretty good plot.

The Promised Rinasciment spoiler,
FUCK YES KYOMA HOUOUHIN IS BACK FWHAHAHAHA!

UnskCIx.gif

T-Rex.

Banned
Man, I am so dumb. I forgot all about Rine and basically ignored all text messages etc and was wondering why I hadn't made any decisions like 8 hours in :lol

For this play through I guess I'll carry on ignoring them all and just focus on the main story.

I watched the anime and I remember little about it aside from enjoying the characters, so I'm going to play the first game. I know absolutely nothing about this game aside from the fact it's a sequel, and I'd like to go in blind. However, have a question that I'd like answered with as few details as possible.

Is the true ending a happy ending? If any of the main cast permanently dies, I would be crushed and rather avoid the sequel all together.

I watched the anime and I remember little about it aside from enjoying the characters, so I'm going to play the first game. I know absolutely nothing about this game aside from the fact it's a sequel, and I'd like to go in blind. However, have a question that I'd like answered with as few details as possible.

Is the true ending a happy ending? If any of the main cast permanently dies, I would be crushed and rather avoid the sequel all together.

Since you want to know:
Yes, the true end is happy. But the sequel's focus is on what makes the happy ending possible, so I can't promise there won't be any soul-crushing along the way! It's all worth it, though.

Zalman

I started this yesterday and I'm hooked. It's so good.
I really like the idea of Kurisu "living on" as an AI and seeing Okabe go through all these emotions. It seems the game is focusing more and more towards Kagari though, which I don't find quite as interesting yet. Still, a lot of things going on. Had to force myself to stop playing.

Plasma

Banned
So I just got the true ending and I'm a bit confused
are they trying to set up another sequel to explain what happens when Okabe goes back in time or is it just saying that after this happens just assume that the original true ending of Steins;Gate now occurs.

So I just got the true ending and I'm a bit confused
are they trying to set up another sequel to explain what happens when Okabe goes back in time or is it just saying that after this happens just assume that the original true ending of Steins;Gate now occurs.
Probably the latter. What happens to him doesn't even matter because he'll no longer exist once the worldline shifts. His "other self" will. Basically he's saying "screw fate, I don't have to die in 2025".

I have a feeling that this also avoids Reading Steiner kicking in from his perspective in 2025 and overwriting himself on the Steins Gate world line. He just had his friends send the video mail after he left, at a time when he literally doesn't exist in the world to observe the change. This also falls under the whole "deceiving the world" theme.

Plasma

Banned
Probably the latter. What happens to him doesn't even matter because he'll no longer exist once the worldline shifts. His "other self" will. Basically he's saying "screw fate, I don't have to die in 2025".

I have a feeling that this also avoids Reading Steiner kicking in from his perspective in 2025 and overwriting himself on the Steins Gate world line. He just had his friends send the video mail after he left, at a time when he literally doesn't exist in the world to observe the change. This also falls under the whole "deceiving the world" theme.

I kind of wish even if it was just retreading old ground they should have included the original Steins;Gate true ending as it just seems to end so abruptly.

crimilde

Banned
After finishing the game I have to say it's so sad how rushed the localisation feels. So many grammar and spelling mistakes. Did no one even beta that script? It's off-putting for a series that I love so much. Also the font is butt ugly. :(

MoonFrog

I wish we were getting a PC release right away, but I guess I can go and play it on the Vita instead. But it will feel way more right to play this game on PC.

Hmmm...yeah, I just played the original on PC this fall. I had watched the anime to a certain point before getting caught up in work a year or so ago and decided to get back in through the game instead. I'm getting a PS4, or rather have one still in its box (holidays/end of semester and master's), so maybe I'll look into this there, but is a PC version coming? That'd be cool.

In any case, I'm interested in this game. The original was great; still have endings left to explore there (only got through Suzuha and true ending, have save files conveniently located to see some others). Game does make me a bit uncomfortable though; I like the characters, story, science fiction, etc. but can also feel its clear tug at my id. Can't say I don't enjoy that as well, but it is an enjoyment that makes me look a bit askance at myself, if that makes sense.

I do want to play more games like it, so glad this exists and will think about it.

Edit: Installed patch and it's fine now except for some CG's in the gallery not showing. Wasn't a faulty cart, but instead a faulty publisher.

Did anyone else play this on PlayStation TV? I don't know if I have a defective copy or it's just a technical mess:

1. A black box appears in the upper left corner that takes up 1/4th of the screen every time the scene changes. It fades out after a second.

2. There is an animated nausea-like visual effect which is completely messed up every time it shows.

3. Looking at the CG gallery they are all messed up. The CG's are small and in the top left, then smeared across the rest of the screen.

Are these just issues with PSTV or do I need to get a new copy?

antibolo

Banned
Did anyone else play this on PlayStation TV? I don't know if I have a defective copy or it's just a technical mess:

1. A black box appears in the upper left corner that takes up 1/4th of the screen every time the scene changes. It fades out after a second.

2. There is an animated nausea-like visual effect which is completely messed up every time it shows.

3. Looking at the CG gallery they are all messed up. The CG's are small and in the top left, then smeared across the rest of the screen.

Are these just issues with PSTV or do I need to get a new copy?

I played most of the game on my PSTV. The CG gallery was buggy in which sometimes the pictures did not appear, but I don't think I noticed any other issues (and I dunno if that CG gallery bug was also on the Vita because I never looked at the CG gallery there).

Mugen08

Ffs, got the Vita-patch in the hope that the graphical glitches would be fixed, but it cost me all my save files ...
Anyone knows if it is possible to get them back?

antibolo

Banned
FWIW, I seem to have seen more people noting problems with the Vita version and I played on PS4 with almost no problems (minus the untranslated ending).

That's a weird way of putting it... Vita version is definitely less buggy right now, anyone who had problems probably didn't update.

You've said it yourself.
I mean, that's certainly one very shitty problem. It's pretty easily remedied since the text is so familiar for the series. Seemed like people were having more reports of graphical glitches on PSV, which I'd find more annoying to be honest, though I'm not sure if that's changed with any recent patching.

Finished it all the way on the vita, no glitches other than a single game crash.

Game was great, one thing bugged me(I will try to state it), but I am too drunk to put it into words, at the moment, also will need to re play a few parts again to confirm.

It Involves
Yuki/Kagari, and the fact that I think that both exist in all story lines. There is always a mysterious helmet woman who is not Moeka, but there is not always a Christina looking Kagari in them. I think both exist at the same time, due to the professor using the memories that he discovered from the young Kagari, reading through them and learning about Okarin and the rest, and setting up multiple ways to find him.

Edit: Also, best scene in any game ever?
Mayuri at the shrine... Could not stop smiling

MoonFrog

I mean, that's certainly one very shitty problem. It's pretty easily remedied since the text is so familiar for the series. Seemed like people were having more reports of graphical glitches on PSV, which I'd find more annoying to be honest, though I'm not sure if that's changed with any recent patching.

What sort of thing is untranslated? Text? Dub? A whole ending? Just a part? Curious, because I'm considering this for PS4 (don't have a Vita).

What sort of thing is untranslated? Text? Dub? A whole ending? Just a part? Curious, because I'm considering this for PS4 (don't have a Vita).
Text.

It's the true ending which, spoilers ahead for the deliver method of the ending,
has a fade to black at the end of the sequence with a voiceover saying something. The text that the voice says scrolls by and it's untranslated.

It's probably about twenty to thirty seconds of text I suppose? Like I said, it's not a huge deal. The text is kind of familiar to the series, and it's posted in this thread so you can easily figure out what it says. It's just a really bad look that they left the final thing you see in the game untranslated. Personally, I enjoyed playing it enough from my couch that if I was picking a version again, I'd still pick PS4, even in spite of that. Up to you though.
Edit: Also, best scene in any game ever?
Mayuri at the shrine... Could not stop smiling
She's seriously cute as hell in that CG. So good.

Vega spoilers:
well shit, when Kagari arrived during the shootout on the Radio Building and said "What did you do to mom?!" and that music track I never heard until that point syartted playing, I admit I did get a bit spooked and mostly excited lol. That was a really good scene.
I can't believe they left some text untranslated? How the hell did that happen?

Zalman

Been playing non-stop for the past three days. Just some random thoughts on my playthrough so far.

I got my fourth ending.
The Mayuri one. So far I've had that and the Kagari, Maho and Leskinen ones (sorry, I forgot their proper names). This one was my favorite so far. A lot of the times I just knew I was headed for a bad ending, but at times this one felt like the "right" one. It's interesting how each ending gives you a piece of the puzzle, and after four endings it's starting to come together. Yuki somehow being Kagari was a surprise, even though it was hinted she would be involved in a previous ending. This path was also the only time where certain scenes were repeated from a previous path, which was kind of weird. I don't remember that being the case in the first game, but it's been a while so I could be wrong.

The first time I saw Leskinen in the game, I had a feeling he would turn out to be a bad guy. However, one of my first endings (I forgot which) had Reyes kill Leskinen, which made me think otherwise for a bit. In the end my hunch was correct. I was actually starting to like the guy and his fake English, haha.

I still have two endings left but I get the feeling there's still a lot more to the story. I really think this is one of the best visual novel franchises around.

Top Bottom