• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steins;Gate 0 |OT| Another Time Dilemma

So been a fan of Stein's Gate since the anime came out and i got the game last year and played it. My GF got me this game for christmas, and im only in chapter 2, but this game is just making me really depressed, i just feel for okabe so much. I miss the other world line ;_;

Keep going! The beginning part is (unsurprisingly given the story context) far and away the most morbid and sad.

So been a fan of Stein's Gate since the anime came out and i got the game last year and played it. My GF got me this game for christmas, and im only in chapter 2, but this game is just making me really depressed, i just feel for okabe so much. I miss the other world line ;_;
As charlequin said, it gets more upbeat. It's certainly hefty throughout, but I think it's well done without being too oppressive. It's a "page-turner" of a VN.

Edit: actually, one complaint some people have even had is that there's too much slice of life stuff that's too upbeat and that it jars the tone. I disagree, but I wouldn't worry too much about the tone right now.

BTA

I still haven't started... I'm hoping to soon, but there's still some more games I need to get out of the way, and more coming out in January. This might end up being a game that I'm playing for a few months.

I did glance at the ending flowchart; I didn't read any of the conditions beyond the first branch though. Seems like it's more complicated than the original without being too much, which is interesting. Speaking of which... I'm really confused why people seem so confused about how to get endings in the original?
Like, the true ending is arcane as fuck and I'd looked up how to do it, don't get me wrong. But the chapter ending "what if" endings seemed fairly clear to me?

Edit: actually, one complaint some people have even had is that there's too much slice of life stuff that's too upbeat and that it jars the tone.

Thankfully, there's less (sadly, not zero) out-of-place titty animu garbage than the first. Made it mildly less embarrassing to play on a plane.

I did glance at the ending flowchart; I didn't read any of the conditions beyond the first branch though. Seems like it's more complicated than the original without being too much, which is interesting.

The game mechanics of the endings are significantly simpler but the interaction of the timelines between the different endings is probably more complex.

Arkain

Just finished the game. The true ending was honestly a bit lackluster. Oh well. Still a good VN, but nowhere near the original imo.

I keep reading about a translation patch, but I guess that's Vita only? I played it on PS4 and I still encountered quite a few translation errors, and the final bit of the True Ending was just untranslated Japanse. Kinda odd that they missed that.

Firestar

Just finished the game. The true ending was honestly a bit lackluster. Oh well. Still a good VN, but nowhere near the original imo.

I keep reading about a translation patch, but I guess that's Vita only? I played it on PS4 and I still encountered quite a few translation errors, and the final bit of the True Ending was just untranslated Japanse. Kinda odd that they missed that.

I think "odd" is putting it lightly. They missed literally an unmissable part of the game, I would say it's lazy and PQube has been an absolute garbage publisher for this series.

I noticed there's also some video in the extras that doesn't even have subtitles from what I can tell.

Just finished the game. The true ending was honestly a bit lackluster.

I think there's an issue where the game (rightly) assumes you are very familiar with the original and are paying attention to what's happening in 0, but then because of that actually doesn't do enough to fill in the blanks in a couple spots where it would smooth out the narrative. I went back and watched the last two eps of the anime after finishing the game just to remind myself of what the actual ending to S;G is and it made the ending of S;G0 work better for me to have it fresh.

Thankfully, there's less (sadly, not zero) out-of-place titty animu garbage than the first. Made it mildly less embarrassing to play on a plane.
I'd need to go back and look at the CGs in both this game and the first, but actually I can't think of too much in the way of stupid CGs for S;G0.

The three eyerolls that come to mind were the one with
Katsumi fondling Mayuri, Okabe walking in on Maho and the one with Faris fondling Moeka
. The rest is decently done, at least in the context of its genre which is so often full of even stupider stuff.

Translation errors I didn't notice that much (although I did notice some translation choices I found a bit odd). But yeah, the untranslated bit of the ending is absurd. I'd be more upset about the untranslated ending if the ending weren't so "meh" to begin with (given that it's
not really new text
).

While where the game was eventually going to end up was set in stone due to the first game, the true ending did feel a bit lackluster in terms of how brief it was. I would have preferred to have it flesh out a few more things rather than ending so quickly. It also would have been nice if we had gotten some more new information from it.
It's a bit weird to spend so much time on a two month period and then get a 14 year time jump, too. I'd have liked to see a bit more of what actually happened during that time.

The other major thing is that there needed to be a Fubuki route. There was too much setup that wound up not paying off well enough. Particularly considering how much screen time Kagari got by comparison.

Hmm, so finished the true ending a few days ago and have had some time to think about it.

There are some plotholes, but most of them don't bother me much. I'm surprised they left certain things unsaid that you'd literally have to switch over and start playing the original's true ending to see come to fruition... even a montage or something of what happens in the original would have made the ending feel more 'compete'.

There's one thing that bothers me though, what's the deal with TRUE END SPOILERS:
Adult Kagari? She's the only thing that literally makes no sense to me. Why was she there? Even if she survived she'd still look like Yuki. Or are they actually implying she survived, AND got more plastic surgery, AND still managed to become sane enough to hang out with Valkyrie?

Hmm, so finished the true ending a few days ago and have had some time to think about it.

There are some plotholes, but most of them don't bother me much. I'm surprised they left certain things unsaid that you'd literally have to switch over and start playing the original's true ending to see come to fruition... even a montage or something of what happens in the original would have made the ending feel more 'compete'.

There's one thing that bothers me though, what's the deal with TRUE END SPOILERS:
Adult Kagari? She's the only thing that literally makes no sense to me. Why was she there? Even if she survived she'd still look like Yuki. Or are they actually implying she survived, AND got more plastic surgery, AND still managed to become sane enough to hang out with Valkyrie?

TRUE END SPOILERS
The true ending does not necessarily happen on the same world line as Vega and Altair, though it "follows" it in the narrative.

The three eyerolls that come to mind were the one with
Katsumi fondling Mayuri, Okabe walking in on Maho and the one with Faris fondling Moeka

Yeah, the first two were the ones I was thinking of -- as opposed to the first game, where Moeka's storyline was full of just ridiculously inappropriate boobie shots.

The other major thing is that there needed to be a Fubuki route. There was too much setup that wound up not paying off well enough. Particularly considering how much screen time Kagari got by comparison.

I was wondering how much of that was an artifact of the game being based on the light novels, and therefore having this set of characters to include that weren't all necessarily important to the story it was telling.

Oh shit, thats a good point (albeit confusing).

Another reason it probably would have been good to expand the ending a bit, heh.

There's a section in the game where Mayuri calls Okabe her "_______" when she says
she wants to save him and refers to some piece of Japanese folklore I think.
I can't think of what it is, anyone recall?

Rad-

Just finished the game. True ending was a bit disappointing and confusing considering it's been a while since I played SG and watched the anime. Overall I think I enjoyed Kurisu playthrough and ending the most.

Anoxida

Just completed first ending. Why the hell wont the game skip text ive already read when starting a new game? I have it checked in settings.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So I finally finished my plan. Rewatch most of the anime, play 0, finish the last couple of episodes of the anime, then OVA, then movie.

Even though it was my second time watching the movie, I still was choking up during the whole thing. I don't know what it is, but for me, the movie is the part of this franchise that hits me the hardest. I even sort of put off rewatching for a week or so because I felt like I needed to mentally prepare myself.

I'm really glad that Funimation is finally going to release the dub for it in a few months.

Got my first ending...
the one where you send the D-mail

I was literally thinking the actual adventure was about to start. Ok now I get them all to the true one.

The two professors that are supposed to have lived in America their whole lives(?) speaking perfect japanese and terrible english is so odd.

I assume it's unintentional and just a drawback of using Japanese voice actors?

Firestar

The two professors that are supposed to have lived in America their whole lives(?) speaking perfect japanese and terrible english is so odd.

I always wondered about this and not just for this game, but surely there are voice actors fluent in both languages? They always seem to have a sort of fake english

Welp. Ordered this last Thursday, supposed to get it today...nothing. Nada. Tracking number on Amazon says it's been at a carrier facility in Orlando, FL (I'm in AL) since December 30, while USPS acts like they only have the label and the package hasn't been received at all.

I expected a delay cause of New Years but to just be completely lost?

At least Amazon refunded me, I'll just try again next paycheck.

inb4 avatar quote

EDIT: OH LOOK WHAT CAME IN THE NEXT DAY

Guess I should cancel that refund.

Just 100% completed this thing. It was a really fun experience, even though they didn't answer quite as many questions as I would've liked.

LiK

LOVED IT. Platinumed. Wrote a spoiler-free review on my blog with my overall thoughts.

One major question I had was near the end:

Why the hell is there an adult Kagari in 2025?

Also, I adored Maho.

LOVED IT. Platinumed. Wrote a spoiler-free review on my blog with my overall thoughts.

One major question I had was near the end:

Why the hell is there an adult Kagari in 2025?

Also, I adored Maho.

Just to nitpick one of your nitpicks, "catch cold" is actually a real phrase people use. It's still a shame some of the other mistakes that appeared, and that's partially on 5pb for not handling special characters in their text properly (the "?" characters were originally letters with accents) and partially on PQube for seemingly not even noticing these things in QA. Do they even do real QA? I wonder sometimes...

Re: ending question,

It is unclear exactly which world line Milky Way Crossing takes place in, but it's probably after even more loops take place.

LiK

Just to nitpick one of your nitpicks, "catch cold" is actually a real phrase people use. It's still a shame some of the other mistakes that appeared, and that's partially on 5pb for not handling special characters in their text properly (the "?" characters were originally letters with accents) and partially on PQube for seemingly not even noticing these things in QA. Do they even do real QA? I wonder sometimes...

Never heard anyone use "catch cold" without "a" inbetween ever. Sounded like Engrish to me. But that's good to know. Won't change my review tho.

Re: ending question,

It is unclear exactly which world line Milky Way Crossing takes place in, but it's probably after even more loops take place.

You may be right. Probably a lot things happened there. Still bugged me but it sorta made sense since
Mayuri wasn't even there anyway to adopt her.

Thanks for reading my review. I appreciate it.

Zero Time Dilemma is my disappointment of the year. The game fucking suuuuuuuucked. It's a sequel I was begging for for so long but after I played it I genuinely wish it never existed. Not only was the game bad. It retroactively made Virtues Last Reward worse. Fuck Zero Time Dilemma.

I need to calm down. That game still gets me riled up just thinking about it.
Lmao saw this post again and it made me boil. Let's not even talk about it please.

Zalman

It's been a while since I finished this game but I still think about it every day. It wasn't perfect, but damn, other visual novels need to step up because Steins Gate is on a whole other level.

antibolo

Banned

That's just Japan being Japan. They probably think their awful attempts at sounding like a native English speaker were perfect.

deoee

Played the game
Closed the game to play another game
Suddenly all saves are gone?

I didn't change anything.
Nothing crashed ...

:(

Never heard anyone use "catch cold" without "a" inbetween ever. Sounded like Engrish to me. But that's good to know. Won't change my review tho.

I thought it was a mistake too, and I still do :p

There's a ton of other minor spelling mistakes, and of course "women's with riding suit". Ugh.

LiK

I thought it was a mistake too, and I still do :p

There's a ton of other minor spelling mistakes, and of course "women's with riding suit". Ugh.

Lots of weird lil things. Oh well, at least it wasn't constant. AA: Dual Destinies on 3DS had an insane amount of typos.

Played the game
Closed the game to play another game
Suddenly all saves are gone?

I didn't change anything.
Nothing crashed ...

:(
I downloaded 1.2, thought to myself "heh, wouldn’t it funny if this randomly cripples my save?"...
[the data is corrupt]...

I would be mad if I weren't so prophetic. Must be
my memories from another worldline

Edit: and wow not to mention literally all the sound is now gone too

LiK

The last VN I played was Code Realize: Guardian Of Rebirth off PS+ so a few minor errors won't bother me.

That bad eh? I haven't touched that.

I downloaded 1.2, thought to myself "heh, wouldn't it funny if this randomly cripples my save?"...
[the data is corrupt]...

I would be mad if I weren't so prophetic. Must be
my memories from another worldline

Edit: and wow not to mention literally all the sound is now gone too

Make sure to overwrite the old corrupt system save by exiting out to menu. Other errors will still occur if you don't do that from what I dealt with.

CiNozzo

Neo Member
Just finished the game.
And I'm reaaaaaaaally disappointed.

Maybe is has to do with the fact that my first ending was
Vega and Altair
. And so
the 5 minutes of Crossing the Milky Way with no revelations and the sequel bait were a let down...

But despite the ending, I really loved this game. Way better than the first.
The beginning of the first Steins;Gate was hard for me, I found Kyoma so annoying and didn't understand him at all. But here ?
I was so happy when he came back !
Multiple narrators is also a big plus. Daru is so keeeeewl. And the way to reach an ending is easier.

TLDR, Steins;Gate 0 is for me way better than Steins; Gate... up until we reach the beginning of the true end. Where in the first we had an AWESOME ending and here we have a sequel bait...

But I'm a little lost in a few things.

- Who is
the lady in biker costume in the worldlines where we choose to turn-off the phone ? Kagari is in her real body and Yuki is injured in the same arm as the Biker gal. So is she also a super spy ? Or was there a worldline change and the biker gal didn't existed anymore when we were introduced to real Kagari ?

- Why did
SERN can see the D-Mail but not the D-Rine ?

So now we wait for Steins;Gate0² to build a bridge from Okabe 2025 to him with Suzu & Mayushii in 2036 ? And to explain what the girls are doing August 21th ?

LiK

Just finished the game.

Vega and Altair
. And so
the 5 minutes of Crossing the Milky Way with no revelations and the sequel bait were a let down...

The beginning of the first Steins;Gate was hard for me, I found Kyoma so annoying and didn't understand him at all. But here ?
Multiple narrators is also a big plus. Daru is so keeeeewl. And the way to reach an ending is easier.

TLDR, Steins;Gate 0 is for me way better than Steins; Gate... up until we reach the beginning of the true end. Where in the first we had an AWESOME ending and here we have a sequel bait...

- Who is
the lady in biker costume in the worldlines where we choose to turn-off the phone ? Kagari is in her real body and Yuki is injured in the same arm as the Biker gal. So is she also a super spy ? Or was there a worldline change and the biker gal didn't existed anymore when we were introduced to real Kagari ?

- Why did

So now we wait for Steins;Gate0² to build a bridge from Okabe 2025 to him with Suzu & Mayushii in 2036 ? And to explain what the girls are doing August 21th ?

I was a tad disappointed with the ending until I remembered that this True Ending was
right before the True End in the original. We saw what happened in the first game. Okabe gets the video from himself and Mayuri and Suzuha gets him to go to go back to save Kurusi. The writers did confirm that this whole game takes place right before the True Ending of the original from what I read online. Altho I agree that maybe they should've given us a summary of the True End rather than cutting it straight to credits.

Sorry, I don't have the answers to the questions you have. There's probably some analysis/explanation out there that answers your questions. There's also a Drama CD for the Mayrui End that is supposed to clarify that ending which is kinda annoying. I didn't really read what it is yet but it's in the Steins;Gate Wiki.

Just finished the game.

Vega and Altair
. And so

- Who is

- Why did

01) Unless I'm mistaken, the
Vega & Altair
route depicts a worldline in which
an adult Kagari Shiina has gotten plastic surgery to look Yuki Amane. Her motivations for such a drastic maneuver aren't fully explained, but it's safe to speculate that it allowed her to intermingle with the Lab members to ensure Mayushii's protection, disguise her past identity, and vicariously/unintentionally place the ground work for the real Yuki's future romance with Daru. All other routes explore a timeline in which Kagari and Yuki are respectively their own individuals. I believe it was Kagari herself who unveils that the real Yuki Amane was studying abroad in Europe throughout the entire events of the 'Vega' route. In my opinion, it's a bit of a confusing and ill-advised twist given the awkward explanations needed for when the original Yuki returns to Japan following those plot-points; however, it is what it is. An important note that I might express is that there's some debate over the true ending, 'Milky-way Crossing,' not necessarily taking place in the same timeline as the 'Vega' ending.

02) Unlike D-Mail, the RINE messaging application was
developed directly by Daru, according to the TIPS section, and it's usage was restricted exclusively to Lab members with minor exceptions. In one of the routes, Okabe further instructs Daru to find a telecommunication server in which SERN isn't actively monitoring all conversations and the latter manages to find a network that allows them to successfully bypass detection.

03) Assuming a third installment does come to fruition, I can't help speculating that it would have to mimic the narrative established by the anime film, Long Region of Déjá Vu, in which Okabe's existence in the 'Steins;Gate' worldline becomes excessively torn between various other timelines and Makise Kurisu embarks on a time-travel escapade to bring him back. On the chance you're native to the United States, an official localization of the film is slated for release through Blu-ray and DVD on March 28th. In regard to
Okabe's effort to reach Mayushii and Suzuha in the true ending for Steins;Gate 0, some speculate that his faithful trip will result in the ominous dream sequences from the original game.

LiK

Fairly late game spoiler: Man, the scene where Maho
is naked and Okabe sees her by accident and later she was trying to help him cope with his pain and forgot she was topless in bed and holding his his hand
was very touching and something I don't believe anyone has done before. Even tho
the entire bedroom scene was primarily in text,
I found that whole scene very emotional. They didn't make it sexual at all and it was very mature. Probably one of my favorite scenes. I'm guessing the anime adaptation would most likely skip that scene entirely or alter it.

Top Bottom