• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steins;Gate 0 |OT| Another Time Dilemma

MSMrRound

Guys, I need some help.

I only obtained the game a couple of days ago and I'm at the point where I finished chapter 1.

I saw that there was a patch update for the psvita version of it and went to install it. After installing it, I tried booting it up but I got a "the file is corrupt" message.

Crossing my fingers that nothing bad happened, i went to the main screen but my save files were gone, and even after trying to get a new game going, there was totally no sound at all. No voices no bgm, even though my settings were put to max. I tried my other games and they are all functioning fine.

What should I do here? I'll try to hit up PQcube on Twitter, but would it be okay to delete the game bubble on my vita, and try to re-install the game?

I'm playing with a physical Vita cartridge by the way (Region 2 aka EU version)

Guys, I need some help.

I only obtained the game a couple of days ago and I'm at the point where I finished chapter 1.

I saw that there was a patch update for the psvita version of it and went to install it. After installing it, I tried booting it up but I got a "the file is corrupt" message.

Crossing my fingers that nothing bad happened, i went to the main screen but my save files were gone, and even after trying to get a new game going, there was totally no sound at all. No voices no bgm, even though my settings were put to max. I tried my other games and they are all functioning fine.

What should I do here? I'll try to hit up PQcube on Twitter, but would it be okay to delete the game bubble on my vita, and try to re-install the game?

I'm playing with a physical Vita cartridge by the way (Region 2 aka EU version)

Yes, you can delete and reinstall. Make sure you also install the patch before starting it again. I patched it before playing the first time and had a very stable experience.

Friendly reminder that this exists:

wioYBfH.jpg

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Just finished all the endings. Wait, THAT'S IT?!

What an unsatisfying conclusion. Wow. I mean I loved the game overall and enjoyed it a lot, but the ending really fell flat. Game felt like it had another chapter left in it. When those final credits started rolling I was absolutely shocked that the game was ending there.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member

What an unsatisfying conclusion. Wow. I mean I loved the game overall and enjoyed it a lot, but the ending really fell flat. Game felt like it had another chapter left in it. When those final credits started rolling I was absolutely shocked that the game was ending there.
Like someone wrote here, they should've followed it up with the true ending of Steins;Gate and made the chapter longer.

Zalman

I just finished the game, and yeah, the ending felt very abrupt. Maybe it had to do with
me having to go through most of the game again since the ending follows the Mayuri ending, which I already had. So the final chapter felt very short after all that. But still, I feel like there was missing something, I don't know.

Overall I still loved the game.

Zalman

I'm wondering how the anime adaption will work.
The individual paths are each longer than in the original, and the Kurisu ending is necessary for the true one to happen. Will be interesting to see.

I agree on the art comments. Kurisu's old model is so bad, it was kind of jarring when it popped up. The new one is much better.

This wouldn't have fixed it. It may have made it even worse.
I think they could have shown the "original" Okabe at the end reflecting on everything. Full circle. Would have been nice to see Kurisu again too.

Like someone wrote here, they should've followed it up with the true ending of Steins;Gate and made the chapter longer.
I don't think that would have done anything. It would have been too much of a rehash.

I think you could have done a simple cutscenes with say
Okabe's time machine door opening, and him stretching out his hand to the other time machine and maybe Mayuri reaching back? I dunno. Something simple and effective.
I think they could have shown the "original" Okabe at the end reflecting on everything. Full circle. Would have been nice to see Kurisu again too.
This might have worked better too.

Very early on:
Mayuri mentions Suzuha and it's said that even just her name was causing Okabe to have flashbacks and he'd been avoiding her, but 5 minutes ago we were texting each other?

Very early on:
Mayuri mentions Suzuha and it's said that even just her name was causing Okabe to have flashbacks and he'd been avoiding her, but 5 minutes ago we were texting each other?
I don't actually remember that, but I guess the point might be that RINE messaging is a lot different than seeing each other in person?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Very early on:

I believe what was said is that her name used to trigger flashbacks, but that Okabe wasn't quite on that sensitive of a hair trigger anymore.

I believe what was said is that her name used to trigger flashbacks, but that Okabe wasn't quite on that sensitive of a hair trigger anymore.

Yeah but he was still avoiding her and thought she hated him. They shouldn't be sending each other cutesy messages.

Very minor thing so whatever, just thought it was odd.

Ravage

Finally got all the endings last night :)

I really like how it fleshes out the S;G universe and the way each of the 5 endings contribute to the overarching story.

Zero also made me realise how much i like Hououin Kyoma and Daru.

oh

I should see if I can find that

Seems to break the time paradox rule though. Okabe had to deliberately avoid himself

I might be wrong on this, but isn't time paradox one of the ways to cause a shift in world lines? As long as your desired 'outcome' is achieved first of course.

The universe in S;G rewrites both past and future (in other words, creating a completely different world line) to resolve any paradox that occurs. This happens in the alpha world line when Okabe deleted SERN's records which prevented a SERN-controlled dystopia. 2036 Suzuha no longer have any reasons to travel back to 1975, which means no IBN5100 will appear for Okabe to hack SERN in the first place. To resolve this paradox, the universe simply shifted to a world line where the D-Mail was never intercepted in the first place (i inferred this part).

Mayuri's actions might cause a paradox but the world line is going to be rewritten anyway after Okabe succeeded.

Billy Lee

I saw this in Game for £20 with an art book (also Root Letter for the same price). I'm thinking of getting it for my brother for the PS Vita but he hasn't played the first one and Game don't seem to sell that. Is it still worth getting or is it essential to have played the first one? Or should I get Root Letter?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I saw this in Game for £20 with an art book (also Root Letter for the same price). I'm thinking of getting it for my brother for the PS Vita but he hasn't played the first one and Game don't seem to sell that. Is it still worth getting or is it essential to have played the first one? Or should I get Root Letter?
Steins Gate 0 is the first game sequel I've ever played where I would say it really is essential to have played the first game. There really is no point playing it without having played the first.

My advice is to get the first Steins Gate from somewhere that isn't Game. Game are really shitty anyway. Avoid buying games there whenever possible...

Billy Lee

Steins Gate 0 is the first game sequel I've ever played where I would say it really is essential to have played the first game. There really is no point playing it without having played the first.

My advice is to get the first Steins Gate from somewhere that isn't Game. Game are really shitty anyway. Avoid buying games there whenever possible...

But the game is the same wherever you buy it so there's no reason to avoid Game if it is available there.

Do you know where the first one is available on the high street? It's too late to order it online to arrive before Christmas. Unless I get my friend to buy it with Amazon Prime.

Billy Lee

There's one in CEX. A second hand game for Christmas. Hmm... is that acceptable? Or maybe I should just get him Dark Souls 3 for £25 (from Game).

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
The thought of a Christmas gift is more important than whether it's second hand or how much it costs. Just ask yourself which game he'd probably enjoy more and the make the decision accordingly.

LProtag

I'm just sitting down to play this. Unfortunately I'm often strapped for time. Would playing this 'organically' without a guide be worth the extra time figuring things out, or is it best to just get a guide that helps me get all the endings as quickly as possible?

How much time would be added to my playtime if I was just trying to figure it out myself?

Zalman

I'm just sitting down to play this. Unfortunately I'm often strapped for time. Would playing this 'organically' without a guide be worth the extra time figuring things out, or is it best to just get a guide that helps me get all the endings as quickly as possible?

How much time would be added to my playtime if I was just trying to figure it out myself?
Barely any time at all, really. You're eventually going to see everything. Using a guide is good if you want to see the endings in a particular order. The thing about Steins;Gate 0 is that reaching specific endings isn't nearly as complicated as the first game. How you answer your phone messages doesn't matter whatsoever, you only have to pay attention when the phone rings. Knowing that, you can sometimes figure out when your actions will affect the story.

There's a spoiler-free guide here you can use if you want. That's the one I ended up using and it's easy to read. It gives away ending titles, but they don't really say much about what actually happens.

antibolo

Banned
S;G0 is really night and day compared to the original in terms of completing it. There's absolutely nothing super obtuse to figure out, even for getting the Platinum trophy you really don't need any guide.

Clov

Minor spoilers for Stray Sheep:

What's this hobby that Luka's dad and friends are supposed to have? Is "Harumi" supposed to be a reference to an idol or anime or something? The implication of whatever it is just went way past my head.

Fowler

Finished the game, got all the endings and the platinum. Enjoyed it overall, but it's a really inconsistent experience. Some really cool scenes, really awesome ideas, but some stuff just doesn't work.

Thoughts on story:

Man, this goes to wild places. Gehenna's Stigma was the first ending I got, and it REALLY surprised me how crazy terrible everything was. On the flipside, there's the slumber party. The tone of this one is ALL OVER THE PLACE, and while sometimes it hits the right note -- Sgt Clean -- it doesn't always work.

Thoughts on structure:

I liked how different it was to the original, allowing the story to diverge in crazy ways. It felt longer too. But... I found myself pretty lost with the plot, not being entirely sure what was happening -- the biggest victim being Kagari. Is she evil here? Is she Yuki? Does she have Kurisu's memories? Does she know Mayuri is her mother? Even beyond Kagari it was getting hard to keep track of what happened in this playthrough versus the others.

(In hindsight, it makes me wonder if this was an intentional attempt to make me feel what Okabe felt during his string of time leaps in the original game?)

On characters:

Man, they did some really cool things with characters here, but most importantly, they felt "right" -- this feels logically how they'd evolve in the beta worldline. Okabe would be this depressed, PTSD-addled wreck. His character at the start is so wonderfully jarring -- tennis club?!? -- but you really feel his pain. It's really tough to go through the early Okabe chapters, and I mean that in the best possible way. Seeing him try to put his life together, then fall apart again with Amadeus Kurisu, and then put his life together PROPERLY and turn into Kyouma again is spectacular.

It's more than just Okabe. It's also Daru, trying to keep up his jokey exterior while developing into a leader, or Mayuri taking more action and responsibility... but the real winner was Suzuha. Seeing cheery and enthusiastic Suzuha get all downbeat and serious is a great twist, but also seeing her guilt over enjoying this peaceful time instead of doing anything she could to stop it... I wasn't really into the Kagari story, but Suzuha was always a highlight.

But, and here's where the inconsistency comes in, they really didn't have enough for the rest of the old cast to do, right? Faris, Luka and Moeka -- in that order -- had increasingly smaller or more bizarre roles to play.

On production values:

Look, I know visual novels are very much a tell-not-show experience with little interaction, but I was a little disappointed with a couple of things. It seemed really weird to me that they never showed any 2036 versions of characters except Daru (and briefly, Faris) -- the worst offender being Okabe. He describes how he looks haggard and much older, with grey hair starting to emerge, and then a couple of minutes later you get a shot of him cradling Luka's body and he looks exactly like 2010 Okabe! It was also comical by the end how they kept hiding older Mayuri's face.

And Amadeus... look, I get that it's too much to ask to be able to call her all the time. I'd have accepted it really if you could only speak to her when the plot dictates. But for some reason you can repeatedly call her during the Christmas party and she has 3 different responses. That also felt weird, because I don't recall the game ever saying you could do this; I stumbled on it by accident. It felt like the game intended to allow you to do this more, but they cut it back to just that. Wild speculation on my part, but it was weird that it was so limited. It'd have made sense to either be a regular thing or not be there at all!

And one last thing...

Salieri. Did we really need to have Salieri explained like ten different times? For a game that's so hesitant to give us answers to some pretty major questions, it can really over-emphasise other things sometimes!

Sapientas

Just finished it and really enjoyed it. The writing and characters feel real after the first game events. The ending did feel abrupt though and I didn't answer lots of plot points I thought would be better explained.
My biggest problem is
Kagari. I'm completely lost with her character and how she fits in each world line. First ending I got she was fake Yuki so that messed me up. I don't understand how her role changes so much depending on completely disassociated events.
Plus I thought the game would explain the
few sudden world line changes better, like the with the music box or the trip to Okinawa one.
The plot feels messy sometimes. The amount of factions at play and how it jumps through distant future timelines weighs on it.

Just finished it and really enjoyed it. The writing and characters feel real after the first game events. The ending did feel abrupt though and I didn't answer lots of plot points I thought would be better explained.
My biggest problem is
Kagari. I'm completely lost with her character and how she fits in each world line. First ending I got she was fake Yuki so that messed me up. I don't understand how her role changes so much depending on completely disassociated events.
Plus I thought the game would explain the
few sudden world line changes better, like the with the music box or the trip to Okinawa one.
The plot feels messy sometimes. The amount of factions at play and how it jumps through distant future timelines weighs on it.
The way I understood her involvement is that how she turns out is dependent on
whether Okabe (and co) finds her and takes her in or not before the "baddies" give her surgery. I could be wrong about that.

The way I understood her involvement is that how she turns out is dependent on
whether Okabe (and co) finds her and takes her in or not before the "baddies" give her surgery. I could be wrong about that.
It might depend more on
the future, because on Gehenna/Altair timeline Kagari was brainwashed by Leskinen as a child, and goes to find him after she rebels in 1998.

But on the other branch, Leskinen is betrayed by Judy and dies, so he can't brainwash Kagari in the future. I believe in that timeline she is simply kidnapped by those researchers in 1998. This is supported by the fact that Suzuha still has the IBN 5100 fully intact on that branch, so Kagari never shot it up.

It might depend more on
the future, because on Gehenna/Altair timeline Kagari was brainwashed by Leskinen as a child, and goes to find him after she rebels in 1998.

But on the other branch, Leskinen is betrayed by Judy and dies, so he can't brainwash Kagari in the future. I believe in that timeline she is simply kidnapped by those researchers in 1998. This is supported by the fact that Suzuha still has the IBN 5100 fully intact on that branch, so Kagari never shot it up.
Good points.

cireza

I completed the game, all endings. I enjoyed it overall, but not as much as the first game.

There are some reasons for this. I disliked one character :
Kagari. Honestly, this character was incredibly annoying, with her "mommy" thing till the very end of the game.
Otherwise, I liked all the other characters and thought that they were very well done.

Concerning the story, I am not a huge fan of where it went :
I had imagined that the Okabe remaining in the beta worldline would fight and find the solutions by himself, but in the end you spend a tremendous time talking to Kurisu, who is dead. Not a big fan of this. And I also really disliked when they choose to put Kurisu memories in Kagari's brain...

Something else (if someone has explanations, please go ahead) :
Changing worldline . You simply undergo them with no real explanation. In the first game, every worldline change would be the result of your actions : sending a D-Mail.

Here, you have worldline changes when you answer or not your phone. Why would this lead to a worldline change ? Why does deleting Kurisu's memories from Kagari's brain lead to a worldline change ? You are not changing the past at all in fact... Memories should be erased and that's it.

So I suppose that something/someone else triggers the worldline change, but it was not explained ? Or I completely overlooked it.

And another thing that did not make sense :
Why does deleting the memories of Kurisu in Kagari lead to a "black hole" where Okabe awakes in 2036 ? The problem is the absence of transition between the scene in the lab with everyone and directly the black hole.

I understand that his memories were put on a computer by someone (that's why it is a black hole for him, he is simply "living" in the computer), and the his body was kept alive until 2036, where they give him back his memories.

But, there is a missing part here : that is between the event at the lab (with all the armed guys) and when he has his memories registered in a computer...

And in the end, he sees what happen in 2036 only to send a D-Rine, so this part feels a bit useless. Anybody could have sent the D-Rine about "tricking the world", no ?

Maybe some of you can help understanding better some of those points ?

My post might seem a bit on the negative side, but I really enjoyed the game overall :)

Fowler

I completed the game, all endings. I enjoyed it overall, but not as much as the first game.

There are some reasons for this. I disliked one character :
Kagari. Honestly, this character was incredibly annoying, with her "mommy" thing till the very end of the game.
Otherwise, I liked all the other characters and thought that they were very well done.

I know what you mean. There were elements of it that I liked -- Mayuri adopting a war orphan, or the idea of Mayuri trying to look after a daughter she's simultaneously not had yet and also already had; but in the end, Kagari just felt like a naked plot device to introduce more mystery... and have another adult girl to ogle.

Concerning the story, I am not a huge fan of where it went :
I had imagined that the Okabe remaining in the beta worldline would fight and find the solutions by himself, but in the end you spend a tremendous time talking to Kurisu, who is dead. Not a big fan of this. And I also really disliked when they choose to put Kurisu memories in Kagari's brain...

This I didn't mind, to be honest. One of the lessons Okabe learns in the original is that he can't do everything on his own; he needs Kurisu's help to save Mayuri. Here, he needs the help of ALL his friends. (With you on the Kagari/Kurisu thing, tho.)

Something else (if someone has explanations, please go ahead) :
Changing worldline . You simply undergo them with no real explanation. In the first game, every worldline change would be the result of your actions : sending a D-Mail.

Here, you have worldline changes when you answer or not your phone. Why would this lead to a worldline change ? Why does deleting Kurisu's memories from Kagari's brain lead to a worldline change ? You are not changing the past at all in fact... Memories should be erased and that's it.

So I suppose that something/someone else triggers the worldline change, but I was not explained. Or I completely overlooked it.

Well, for one of them, it's pretty heavily implied that Russia tested their time machine and threw everyone into and then out of the Okinawa war worldline. I didn't really understand the others, but someone said it basically happened every time Kurisu's "knowledge" changed hands -- as in, her computer, or Amadeus, etc. Not really sure I understand that, but, something to think about.

The one thing I didn't like is how isolated some of the routes are. Especially since my favorite route
Maho Ending
isn't really relevant to either major path. Lol

Was really bummed that the character development in that path didn't really manifest itself at all in the other routes.

As for Kagari
I don't feel she was really planned out. She was the most confusing element in the entire game and did a lot of things I can't make any sense out of. Like manipulating Moeka to no real end.

cireza

Well, for one of them, it's pretty heavily implied that Russia tested their time machine and threw everyone into and then out of the Okinawa war worldline. I didn't really understand the others, but someone said it basically happened every time Kurisu's "knowledge" changed hands -- as in, her computer, or Amadeus, etc. Not really sure I understand that, but, something to think about.
I also got that implication concerning the fact that
Russia was testing the time machine.

My guess is that altering the possession of Kurisu's memories at one point in time will trigger in the future actions from Russia, Stratfor or whatever other participant in the race [for the time machine].

Thus leading to an instant change in worldline.

To sum this up :
The actions of the team towards Kurisu's memories bring changes to the future, BUT they are instantly reflected.
Hope this makes sense.

I still find that the game did not take enough time to explain this properly. Thoughts ?

The one thing I didn't like is how isolated some of the routes are. Especially since my favorite route
Maho Ending
isn't really relevant to either major path. Lol

Well, as someone pointed out to me, each route does
involve a piece of the puzzle used to reach Steins Gate. For example, "This is not a box."

Fowler

I still find that the game did not take enough time to explain this properly. Thoughts ?

Totally. It's especially frustrating because they can really OVER-explain sometimes. And then with big things like this it's a bit "figure it out yourself lol"

Just got to my first ending
where Okabe is held hostage by Leskinen, then gives up after being rescued.

So far this is nowhere as good as the first, the way it escalated midway through and just kept that momentum for the rest of the game was too good.

Still enjoying it though and keen to see the rest of the endings.

zakujanai

I've had to turn the voice acting off because Mayuuri and Faris are completely unbearable. It's also too slow so I'm sat waiting for the auto to carry on. Is there a way to make the auto carry on before the voices have stopped? The unspoken parts are nice and fast but it grinds to a halt as soon as anyone speaks.

I've had to turn the voice acting off because Mayuuri and Faris are completely unbearable. It's also too slow so I'm sat waiting for the auto to carry on. Is there a way to make the auto carry on before the voices have stopped? The unspoken parts are nice and fast but it grinds to a halt as soon as anyone speaks.
Just click through manually?

Dario ff

Banned
Finished the game and
I feel a bit disappointed at the author's reluctance on introducing new male characters to the circle of friends, especially considering Okabe has been more active as a student. While I understand his PTSD would've caused him to have a harder time forming new relationships, he's shown to have a relationship with Izaki and an unnamed student during his time at University. Neither of them have character sprites and one of them has a very minor role on one of the plots.

This would be less of a problem if the new female characters had more interesting personalities, but Kaede and Kagari were the two I felt it was a bit too much. When I start thinking of the cast as mostly "nice girl", it's hard to think it's well balanced. Introducing new male characters wouldn't necessarily fix the problem if they were as badly written, but it would've been an easier start point IMO.

On Daru
his character growth and development is awesome in this game. Definitely the high point from 0 for me.

Cloukyo

Banned
Just got to my first ending
where Okabe is held hostage by Leskinen, then gives up after being rescued.

So far this is nowhere as good as the first, the way it escalated midway through and just kept that momentum for the rest of the game was too good.

Still enjoying it though and keen to see the rest of the endings.

Yeah, I was underwhelmed when I did the first ending, but honestly, you've got about another 20 or so hours of story left. Unlike SG you need to see every ending to fully appreciate the story, and because the timeline diverges pretty early in the game, they're all very different.

One thing I will say is, when you finish the game, go straight to a youtube video of the end of episode 23 of the anime for closure. I'm sure you're aware how the game will end, but 23 really beefs it up.

Gonna get this game later today, but I remember seeing some problems one of the versions had but I can't remember which. Is the Vita version ok?

Gonna get this game later today, but I remember seeing some problems one of the versions had but I can't remember which. Is the Vita version ok?

It's fine, yeah. The notable issues were fixed with a post-release patch, just make sure to update before you start playing.

So been a fan of Stein's Gate since the anime came out and i got the game last year and played it. My GF got me this game for christmas, and im only in chapter 2, but this game is just making me really depressed, i just feel for okabe so much. I miss the other world line ;_;

Top Bottom