• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter VI |OT| VI is for VICTORY

Pasta la Vista

Gold Member
You mean like the hori fighting commander? I was thinking of buying one but I'm not sure. Do you press those buttons with just your right thumb or do you hold your right hand over it like a fight stick? Sorry if that's a dumb question.
Mostly thumb but sometimes I switch to holding my hand over it like a fight stick. I'm purely a pad player for SF and I just feel way more accurate with the genesis dpad.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
FYI I’ve seen a-lot of people say that you can’t get ken as a master until after the first tournament. This is not true.

reektann

It's crazy how frequent you get matches in this. On PC i go into the training mode, turn on the ranked matches, filter it to be 4-5 bars only then within like 5 seconds im in a game. Go back to training and 5 seconds later its another one.

It's really cool as you get to play such a mix of skills and characters. I got destroyed by a Dhalsim last night and it was the first time I had seen one.

It's a great game if you have 30-60 mins and dont fancy a story game - just bang out some matches.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I figured somebody would make a guild or whatever they're calling it for this game on here, has anyone done that?

I hope the game slows down a bit once people start figuring out matchups and defense more.

Right now it's just full on rush down.
I started doing my ranking matches and my first match was flowchart ken, it's been so so long I miss that guy. I lost though lmao.

Last edited:

Shake Your Rump

Gold Member
I’m thinking I want a PS5 fight stick.
After only one night of this game, I am already considering this. I have a problem where my thumb seems to angle on the D-pad. When I try to do moves like Chun-Li fireball, I often end up jumping when pressing forward.

I honestly wonder if the Xbox controller would be better than the dual sense.

SCB3

playing some matches as Juri and I'm liking her alot as well, a nice change from Luke, but her Special is confusing, what does it do? It seems to power something up, I think I may need to go consult YT for some guides here

kondorBonk

Can you play the main story section as a standard street fighter or does it have to be custom?
I would get more fun out of sticking to one character and progressing instead of a broken build I would need to eventually discard.

SCB3

Can you play the main story section as a standard street fighter or does it have to be custom?
I would get more fun out of sticking to one character and progressing instead of a broken build I would need to eventually discard.
You can do that, its a custom character sure but you can just stick with one of the masters and use their moves only

yurinka

You can do that, its a custom character sure but you can just stick with one of the masters and use their moves only
It must be a custom character. Across the story mode you unlock as possible masters the normal characters of the game. You choose which ones are your masters.

Once you become apprentice of one of them, you unlock their fighting style, meaning you unlock their basic animations (intro, victory pose, idle...) and normal attacks or basic grabs, plus a couple special attacks.

Then depending how much you use this style (which increases your style rank for this master) or how do you increase your bond with the master (via giving him/her gifts), you keep learning / unlocking new moves from that master.

Each master gets unlocked in a different point of the story mode: the first one is Luke, the one unlocked just before the end is Juri, and the only one unlocked just after completing the main story of the World Tour, starting the endgame is JP.

So to use the moves of your favorite character, or better, mixing your favorite moves from different characters, you'll have to unlock and take them as masters and then to upgrade their style rank/bond to unlock the special attacks or super arts you want.

As a reference, the level 3 super art gets unlocked when you max out at level 20 the style rank with that master. Also, the stuff like your Super art levels or the Drive meter bars get unlocked as you play the World Tour mode, not sure if when reaching certain level with your character or at certain points of the story.

GHG

Anyone know what the timing is for Dee Jay's lowkey sunrise festival?

I can initiate it but can't seem to get the rest of the combo out no matter what I'm trying at the moment. This one specifically:

6lXEka.jpeg

Really wish this game had the combo/move timing sound in training mode like MK11 does.

Last edited:

BossLackey

Gold Member
I gotta say, I'm pretty blown away with this game. I'm a diehard Street Fighter fan and I don't know if I've had this much fun with a new Street Fighter since Third Strike.

There's still a ton to dissect and weaknesses to suss out, but it has everything I could possibly ever want in a fighting game. The whole cast is just so fun. It's so nice to see Capcom treating Street Fighter with as much respect as their other IP again. The difference between launch day Street Fighter V and Street Fighter 6 couldn't be more apparent and at the moment, I can honestly say I don't have any complaints besides JP being a fucking nightmare until he can be figured out (and nerfed a bit, let's be honest.)

FGC eatin' goooooood this year.

Please Harada. I need Tekken in 2023. Please.

Needlecrash

I can initiate it but can't seem to get the rest of the combo out no matter what I'm trying at the moment. This one specifically:

6lXEka.jpeg

Really wish this game had the combo/move timing sound in training mode like MK11 does.
For this one you can mash the buttons in sequence. The other ones? Not so much.

GHG

For this one you can mash the buttons in sequence. The other ones? Not so much.

Just figured it out. It's strange because the combo start is a kick despite you inputing a punch. But you input the rest of the buttons after that kick lands, not before. If you do it too fast as if it's one big sequence nothing will happen.

Is there lag on the modern controls' special moves? In tour mode all of chun li's special moves dont come out consistently. Sometimes I mash triangle, sometimes I hold it, but it never comes out when I first press

Dr. Suchong

6lXEka.jpeg

This one puzzled me too. I think I left a slight pause after the first 3 hits and it came out more consistently?
Is the second of the two variants?
I'm terrible at remembering this stuff lol.
I remember Tekken 2 (?) having some almost glockenspiel type sounds when inputting combos in training. Really useful.
I can still hear Paul Phoenix's now.

Reactions: GHG

Pasta la Vista

Gold Member
Having some weird issue where my saved custom controls for anything other than Custom 1 aren't being reflected in-game.
I use a different custom set for my genesis 6 button and my standard PC controller. Was not having this issue yesterday. I basically have to reset the controls each time I start the game now. Really annoying.

After only one night of this game, I am already considering this. I have a problem where my thumb seems to angle on the D-pad. When I try to do moves like Chun-Li fireball, I often end up jumping when pressing forward.

Both controllers kinda suck for fighting games. The dual sense d pad is just so dead feeling and the Xbox controller's plastic is so gd LOUD.

GHG

This one puzzled me too. I think I left a slight pause after the first 3 hits and it came out more consistently?
Is the second of the two variants?
I'm terrible at remembering this stuff lol.
I remember Tekken 2 (?) having some almost glockenspiel type sounds when inputting combos in training. Really useful.
I can still hear Paul Phoenix's now.

For the medium and heavy versions it's 5 hits then a slight pause before the final 2.

The game needs to do a better job of giving everyone an indication for the timing in the training mode.

Last edited:

Shake Your Rump

Gold Member
For some reason the PS5 version now is crashing at the title screen. Weird. Anyone else have this happen? I’m going to try reinstalling. It worked fine yesterday.

Last edited:

Wpx

Neo Member
I’m a total newb. In the combo trials how do you get the buttons you neee to press to show on the screen. It just says the name of the moves I need to do?

Wpx

Neo Member

6lXEka.jpeg

Is this during the combo trials? How did you get the buttons to show?

Wpx

Neo Member
What is the typical button layout people use when using a ps5 controller. Trying to hit square triangle and R1 for an OD move in a combo just feels so clunky

GreatnessRD

6lXEka.jpeg

From my experience, you can go kinda slow to be honest. But then again, I equate this combo to Geese and Rock's from SNK, Deadly Rave. I can't explain the cadence though. Guess a form of muscle memory.

What is the typical button layout people use when using a ps5 controller. Trying to hit square triangle and R1 for an OD move in a combo just feels so clunky
What OD move are you doing? You should only have to hit two buttons unless it's Gief's EX lariat

Lasha

I had an idiot moment last night. I spent half an hour trying to figure out why I was being forced to use modern controls in world tour. My avatar battle settings were configured correctly but each fight reverted to modern controls. Finally searched and realized that I had to finish the first chapter to unlock classic controls.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I have good execution on pad now but man it just feels so stiff to play this game without an arcade stick.

Mine dying before launch really killed my wanting to grind this and instead I’ve been on Diablo 4.

It used to be so simple… just buy the latest TE from MadCatz cuz Markman told me to during a tournament stream.

I thought you had to do three, total newb I am.
Yeah, the rule of thumb is two buttons. Mind which two buttons you hit though, as sometimes the same OD move can hold different properties depending on which two buttons are pressed. At least that's how it was in SFV.

Edit:
Damn, I guess I need to go back to SFV for my rainbow edition needs.

Last edited:

Icymanipulator

Gold Member
Love adding Hondas hundred hands to all my created characters. Lol, the combinations of moves is so ridiculous, going to have to try avatar battles online here soon.

Want to see a side tournament at some event of avatar characters, wonder which set ups the pros would go with.

Last edited:

GHG

Is this during the combo trials? How did you get the buttons to show?

I'm using the character guides mostly at the moment.

But if you want to practice in world tour or in the general training mode there's an option to have the buttons show up and you can choose what side of the screen they appear on.

Xbox pad is only slightly better in my opinion. I think it depends how you hold the pad though and everyone will have a different opinion I’m sure.

Are there any recommendations for PC fighting pads? I’d prefer a pad over stick to reduce the amount of noise. I was looking at the HORI Octa and it seems like it would be good. I want to try and keep it relatively cheap too, spent way too much on this hobby the last few months lol.

Lasha

I have good execution on pad now but man it just feels so stiff to play this game without an arcade stick.

Mine dying before launch really killed my wanting to grind this and instead I’ve been on Diablo 4.

It used to be so simple… just buy the latest TE from MadCatz cuz Markman told me to during a tournament stream.

Fight sticks are easy to fix. Everything from a broken button to a new PCB can be fixed in half an hour.

Haemi

Don't lift your thumb off the d pad, you should just be wiggling on it for the double. It could be a speed issue too.

Practice. You know how to do inputs? Inputs are to be done smoothly. Then, double it for supers.

Using a pad is hard iirc. Try the dpad as its more accurate than an analog stick. Try rolling your thumb. If you can throw a shoryuken, practice doing the motion over and over.

Do the motions slowly and aim for accuracy rather than speed. And use the D-Pad.

Thanks. Looking at the numbers in practice mode, it's a combination of accuracy, speed and a too long pause between both quarter circles. Rolling the thumb is worse for me than sliding the tip of my thumb quickly over the d-pad.

Playing as Cammy and it gets slowly better.

Naked Lunch

For some reason the PS5 version now is crashing at the title screen. Weird. Anyone else have this happen? I’m going to try reinstalling. It worked fine yesterday.
The Xbox SX version crashes for me on the opening company logos and title screen. Happened twice.
A full exit and restart gets it working.

Calverz

Thanks. Looking at the numbers in practice mode, it's a combination of accuracy, speed and a too long pause between both quarter circles. Rolling the thumb is worse for me than sliding the tip of my thumb quickly over the d-pad.

Playing as Cammy and it gets slowly better.
It’s funny you mention this because it’s one of my pet peeves with street fighter training. There is no sound queues as to when you press buttons to pull of combos. Tekken training hs done this for years. I wish street fighter did too.

KXVXII9X

Bought the game today. The first time i played this type of game was SFII on the SNES but i've never played them the right way before.

I don't understand how you can execute the more complex moves consistently. Is there a trick to it, or does someone have a tipp for me? Should i use the analog stick or the d-pad?
I mean something like this:

pNILd0r.png
I also started with SFII and been a very casual fighting game player for years. I still have some trouble pulling these moves off 100% everytime but have gotten better.

For me, knowing the speed and timing to execute these moves have helped. You have to do them fast.

Figuring out how to do a quarter circle motion in training mode without pressure helps. Then you can move on to doing it twice to execute these more complex moves. You have to do the qc input twice without any pause.

I don't use the D-pad. I think it is easier with the analog because you can do it smoothly and you get that motion ingrained. Also, don't overdo the motion. I'm not sure if any of this is helpful. I'm not a pro 😅

[Sigma]

Ugh this surgery has been kicking my ass so I haven't played much the past of days.:messenger_frowning_ That Dreamhack tournament was fun to watch even though the game just game out. Crazy that HSM performed that well with DeeJay with only a couple of days at best practice. That character is so him lol.

My plan was to buy the game on xbox, get used to its basics by going into training mode and arcade mode and THEN pay for an XBL Gold subscription, so I could play online.
I bought the game tonight, went to install it and couldnt find it in my games list anywhere. Then I noticed this on the store page...

"Game requires Xbox Game Pass Ultimate or Xbox Live Gold to play on console (subscription sold separately)."

Am I missing something, or is this really scummy? Why do I need an online subscription to play single player content in a game that isnt even free-to-play? I paid $100 AUD for this and I cant play it at all, without a subscription?
Is the same thing happening to Playstation players too, or is this just Microsoft being anti-consumer?

EDIT: Offline components work fine WITHOUT XBL Gold. My mistake.

Last edited:
Top Bottom