• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Studios consider Baldur’s Gate 3 anomaly : “It’s Rockstar-level nonsense for scope”

Buggy Loop

Having the ability to make trans characters in a game is not woke, jesus lol.

Fuck, I might build a dwarf with a huge cock and tits and call him Tyrion for the shits and giggles. It's brilliant.

this is how the subject should be addressed - RPG's are about freedom of choice, character creation, builds, and role playing. The tools should be provided to accurately create whatever you want, and this is what is being done.

I mean they allow you to make your character look like a clown

Baldurs-Gate-3-interesting-character-5.jpg

or Orc Dafoe

z8r5pzb3pcs51.png

And they let you put whatever you want between legs.

choice

Guilty_AI

or Orc Dafoe

z8r5pzb3pcs51.png

choice
Tbf, this is the typical kind of thing that if they didn't do, modders would. You could say they had no choice in the matter.

peish

Buying it now upgrades you to deluxe version, but yeah dont play until launch. The current playable build is missing a ton of stuff that will be there day 1 still

couldn't help myself, downloaded the ea. it runs well on 1440p 21:9 max settings with dlss quality. like 120-140fps on 3080ti :messenger_grinning_sweat:

comparing to my memories of bg2, the camera now is too closed up. it also looks way more toony shaded. i don't remember the dice rolling thing in bg2

Filben

or Orc Dafoe

z8r5pzb3pcs51.png

choice

Tbf, this is the typical kind of thing that if they didn't do, modders would. You could say they had no choice in the matter.
And it's mostly streamers thinking this is funny or don't want to put their taste, as in how they really liked their alter ego, under scrutiny of their audience, so they make the most ridiculous looking character. My guess is the majority just use the default preset, choose another hair style and colour and start playing and a few go really all in but still make a descent looking character.

Guilty_AI

And it's mostly streamers thinking this is funny or don't want to put their taste, as in how they really liked their alter ego, under scrutiny of their audience, so they make the most ridiculous looking character. My guess is the majority just use the default preset, choose another hair style and colour and start playing and a few go really all in but still make a descent looking character.
I see no issue with making funny-looking characters. My first Elden Ring character that i beat the game with was this semi-bald, big-mustached, exceptionally thic-legged guy with a subtle beer belly.

Last edited:

ahtlas7

I’d buy this game, even if I wasn’t already, just to put my finger in the eye of these shit studio’s running their mouth.

go fuck yourself middle finger GIF by IFC
Off. Worry about your own shit, you’ll get better results.

Dr_Salt

I've already said in this thread that if they can pull off all the other RPG aspects that they're hyping up then none of the technical problems will matter.

I also never said the faces are bad, I said the facial animation, like when they're talking.

The thing that concerns me is that your screenshots look fantastic. The problem is they look 10 times better than any trailer I've seen. So are they bullshots?
Those are in game screenshots and it is how it looks on PC. If you think this game has dated graphics you are delusional. Stop watching the ps5 trailers.

Baldur-Gate-3.png

Baldurs-Gate-3-Character-Elf-01.jpg

-1584187608221.jpg

EjnAlqjWsAAXZ-6

ManaByte

Gold Member
Those are in game screenshots and it is how it looks on PC. If you think this game has dated graphics you are delusional. Stop watching the ps5 trailers.

Baldur-Gate-3.png

-1584187608221.jpg

EjnAlqjWsAAXZ-6
I find it funny this is how the game is being marketed, as if it’s like GOW or TLOU when it has a top down camera more like Diablo. Even the screens on the PS store are all from cinematics or conversations, no actual gameplay.

Robbinhood

Banned
Sorry I might have asked this before but I’ve only played about an hour of DOS, I liked the combat from what I played, how does BG3 combat compare?

Dr_Salt

I find it funny this is how the game is being marketed, as if it’s like GOW or TLOU when it has a top down camera more like Diablo. Even the screens on the PS store are all from cinematics or conversations, no actual gameplay.
You don't have to take my word for it the game is in early access. You can play it right now and find out for yourself.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Doesn't the trailer in the PS page literally shows gameplay footage tho?

Raven77

Baldur-Gate-3.png

-1584187608221.jpg

EjnAlqjWsAAXZ-6

I'm not going to give them a free pass because the PC version looks decent. And you also posted cutscene screenshots which are often better looking than actual gameplay.

Quit watching cutscene trailers and watch some gameplay. Graphics are mediocre.

Guilty_AI

I'm not going to give them a free pass because the PC version looks decent.
Calm your tits, ps5 version is more than a month away, no one knows how it'll actually look when compared to the PC version. You can make judgements then.

And you also posted cutscene screenshots which are often better looking than actual gameplay.
The cutscene model swapping thing doesn't apply here, because this is something last gen consoles exclusives did to optimize their games for the hardware. There's 0 reason to do this in a PC game where you can just adjust the settings if your PC can't handle it. Not to mention the way this game is designed makes it almost impossible to carefully craft every "cutscene".

Last edited:

Raven77

Calm your tits, ps5 version is more than a month away, no one knows how it'll actually look when compared to the PC version. You can make judgements then.

The cutscene model swapping thing doesn't apply here, because this is something last gen consoles exclusives did to optimize their games for the hardware. There's 0 reason to do this in a PC game where you can just adjust the settings if your PC can't handle it. Not to mention the way this game is designed makes it almost impossible to carefully craft every "cutscene".

Nearly every game out there, on current gen consoles and PC, that has in game cutscenes, applies extra graphical effects to them. See FFXVI as an example.

And I don't need to wait for the PS5 version to release, there are recent in-game gameplay videos. It looks a bit meh graphically. Just my opinion.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
except BG3 is a whole new system with completely different combat and rules. Just comes off as salty.
Is it more similar to BG2? I haven't been following but I found Divinity too overwhelming for me. Does this has the pause like the previous game where I can assign what I want my chars to do?

Guilty_AI

Nearly every game out there, on current gen consoles and PC, that has in game cutscenes, applies extra graphical effects to them. See FFXVI as an example.
And thats why i'm saying, these won't work here, these cutscenes are like the witcher 3, you can't craft cutscene effects for every single NPC you have a conversation with. The pics above represent the FFXVI equivalent of speaking with side-quest givers NPCs.
And I don't need to wait for the PS5 version to release, there are recent in-game gameplay videos. It looks a bit meh graphically. Just my opinion.
Thats not an opinion, its called being blind. Anyone who looks at the previous pics and say it look bad must have some severe case of cataract

Last edited:
Good video from Destin, Elden Ring, Baldur's Gate and TOTK are great games that pass the standard set before and gamers are clearly loving them but at the same time a lot of junk/jank and predatory games/practices are supported by gamers hence they keep on appearing and selling well so I don't expect things to change much.

People will recognize brilliance, competence and honorable principles but also continually eat the crap out there.

Tedditalk

Bumping this one as Destin from IGN just posted a video on this recent hot topic.

This video abit of a misrepresentation of what I seen some devs say, which is essentially that baldur gate 3 level of scope is not going to be possible for most devs to recreate mostly because of the time it takes and the team configuration they have. Honestly, publishers alone makes this impossible, as you damn well know the bear scene would have been 86ed if they had a publisher, and the game would have been fairly generalized by idiots in suits. Only games that are frequently outstanding are ones that do not have publishers, or just let the developers cook.

Dr_Salt

I'm not going to give them a free pass because the PC version looks decent. And you also posted cutscene screenshots which are often better looking than actual gameplay.

Quit watching cutscene trailers and watch some gameplay. Graphics are mediocre.
What the hell are you even talking about, that is gameplay. Those are all from ingame conversations. You people must be malding after game turned out as good as it did.

Last edited:

Dane

What Baldur Gate 3 does that is so out of the curve? Creating outcomes that really matter? Yeah this is something that WRPGs used to do.

I get that the some of the worries are about scope being nonsense for everybody else because they're not in the same financial and management independence position as Larian, but they worded so badly and instead of just keep doing what they're good at it. GTA, Souls and whatever that got acclaimed didn't kill genres for anybody else to work on it. I think its a trauma that WRPGs tends to carry curses on studios who work on it, many bankrupt over the decades (Interplay - Black Isle, Troika) others got worse (Bioware, CDPR), which makes the Larian the seemingly the only exception for being independent with more resources.

Last edited:

Raven77

What the hell are you even talking about, that is gameplay. Those are all from ingame conversations. You people must be malding after game turned out as good as it did.

Graphical effects can be applied to in game cutscenes / conversations that aren't in the actual game when moving your character around (gameplay).

I figured this would be common knowledge by now...

And I'm extremely happy the game is doing great. BG2 is in my top 5 all time. Are you insinuating that someone can't criticize something that they like?

Dr_Salt

Graphical effects can be applied to in game cutscenes / conversations that aren't in the actual game when moving your character around (gameplay).

And I'm extremely happy the game is doing great. BG2 is in my top 5 all time. Are you insinuating that someone can't criticize something that they like?
It's ingine but ok stay malding.

Last edited:

Vox Machina

Banned
POE is not a innovative game. It's just a copy of the IE games from the late 90s. It plays exactly the same except for a different set of combat rules, it's still RTWP combat, the dialogue system is exactly the same, there is no new interactivity with the environment. It's mostly nostalgia bait. Larian actually is one of the few developers that is doing innovative game play within the RPG genre.

I'm not super familiar with the story behind the development of PoE and PoE: Deadfire, but wasn't that the point?

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

It's that time of the year again. After Elden Ring's 22 release and devs being salty of its success, now it seems some are already going on the defensive against Baldur's Gate 3

Salt Bae Steak GIF

Imagine these replies. Josh Sawyer from Obsidian entertainment! Why didn't he make a game of that scope after Pillars of Eternity was done and the engine was known? Since he's got Microsoft funding now i hope he can make a masterpiece for his next project! Apparently that's all you need.

ToTK DLC narrative transpires in that last tweet. BG3's easy because they had the DOS2 done, hell, Sven loves Ultima 7, and that game had 12 years of previous titles feeding into it! SEE? RECIPE IS EASY!

In the meantime, AAA devs have been working on the same foundation baseline since PS3 roughly. Barely any progress in any genres. What's their excuse?

Imagine being threatened by Larian. The studio was small and indie-like not even that many years ago. Much like From Software being thought of as a niche Japanese developer pre-Souls.
Sven worked his fucking soul into that studio. This ain't no fucking ubisoft recipe where they throw 700 peoples at the problem and hope for the best. If this game has the biggest scope of ANY cRPG in existence its because the studio worked for it. Baldur's Gate 3 ain't quick cash grab like the 15th Assassin's creed.

It looks fucking dire for most studios out there, they lost the plot.

starship-troopers-paul-verhoeven.gif

These publishers and devs need to shut it and step up.

Stand Up What GIF by 800 Pound Gorilla Media

Have you even played it?

Last edited:

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Where is the salt? It's all true. Conditions to the game is not typical. No one said something 'bad' about the game, but that development of it is very different and cannot be applied to typical AAA bullshit.
Absolutely love the game!

peish

This video abit of a misrepresentation of what I seen some devs say, which is essentially that baldur gate 3 level of scope is not going to be possible for most devs to recreate mostly because of the time it takes and the team configuration they have. Honestly, publishers alone makes this impossible, as you damn well know the bear scene would have been 86ed if they had a publisher, and the game would have been fairly generalized by idiots in suits. Only games that are frequently outstanding are ones that do not have publishers, or just let the developers cook.

that's how i see it too. the whole anomaly narrative started by some zealous media person fanboys after reading some developers tweets on the reality of games development.

damn shame paparazzi shenanigans

Ozzie666

I guess D: OS2 sort of flying under the radar was a blessing. Larian might not have been able to do so well with Baldur's Gate 3 under all that corporate pressure.

Corporate pressure and shareholders is what is killing games in general. That is exactly why this game is succeeding, the passion and the time it took to finish. To my knowledge, the lunch has been pretty flawless too.
It does throw shade on Triple A developers through and through, this game goes against the norms and reminds people what finished polish products look like.

I do have to wonder how much the license has given them more exposure, if this had been DS3. A lot of nostalgia at work for BG 1 and 2.

Worthy contender for GOTY, would send a great message to the big players.

Top Bottom