• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Studios consider Baldur’s Gate 3 anomaly : “It’s Rockstar-level nonsense for scope”

I played BG 1 and 2 when they released centuries ago. I only found now that there are enhanced editions for Ps4 of both games. How are those versions?
I dunno about the PS4 versions specifically, but the PC versions were great IMO. I played BG way back when and still have a physical copy, but bought the Enhanced for ease of use on my modern PC. I wasn't disappointed. Played just like I could remember it as far as I can tell, nice scaling options for UI.. looked clean. Ran great. I'm not an expert, but I loved it. It was 6 dollars on sale or less with Steam. I already picked up and played through BG2 EE, same opinion. Now I'm playing through Icewind Dale Enhanced. So if there are things wrong with them I'm not privy to them. There are some changes I think related to the cutscenes or something but it didn't bother me much. Not sure about playing these games on a controller though.

Fair enough.
Anyway, Daggerfall is huge and fully explorable - you can enter every single house. If they manage to make a city so big, realistic and believable I'll be impressed.
Daggerfall is one of the first games I ever played that really exploded my imagination, allowed it to run wild and really feel like anything was possible. I loved and love that game.

Ar¢tos

I dunno about the PS4 versions specifically, but the PC versions were great IMO. I played BG way back when and still have a physical copy, but bought the Enhanced for ease of use on my modern PC. I wasn't disappointed. Played just like I could remember it as far as I can tell, nice scaling options for UI.. looked clean. Ran great. I'm not an expert, but I loved it. It was 6 dollars on sale or less with Steam. I already picked up and played through BG2 EE, same opinion. Now I'm playing through Icewind Dale Enhanced. So if there are things wrong with them I'm not privy to them. There are some changes I think related to the cutscenes or something but it didn't bother me much. Not sure about playing these games on a controller though.
I'll buy them the next time they go on sale (seems to be very often) for the nostalgia. I barely remember the games... it was 20+ years ago 😔

I'll buy them the next time they go on sale (seems to be very often) for the nostalgia. I barely remember the games... it was 20+ years ago 😔
Same for me. I hadn't played it in a very long time, but something made me give it a try again this year when they were on sale. At first I was a little "eh" but the more I played BG the more I fell into it. I really enjoy how combat works in that game and the 2E D&D ruleset (easy enough to understand mostly). I don't mind the dated graphics one bit and I love the isometric viewpoint. I like real time with pause. I really enjoyed when the game started challenging me a little more and I had to really think some encounters through, pausing to use the right magic or whatever from my sorcerer or adjust my thief to be an archer to help from the back.. Had a ton of fun. Icewind Dale so far providing similar fun, though some encounters seem way more challenging. The challenge factor could also be related to how I structure my party etc though, not sure. I definitely think it's worth it to check out at least the first one on sale and if you like that, grab the rest on sale when they come. That's how I did it, it is pretty often. (y)

Fredrik

Yeah, BG2 EE is really great, I've had no problems with it and you can even play them 4k as far as i know.
Played some Baldur’s Gate 1 Enhanced Edition yesterday. Made me sad, I used to play this a lot, original edition I mean, but time has not been kind to this game, I really can’t enjoy it anymore.
Or is the enhanced edition worse?
Is BG2 a lot better? BG1 literally just made me sad, dreams of wonderful nostalgia were crushed.

Fredrik

Why? What nostalgia was crushed in your opinion?
It just looked bad and felt bad to play, blurry and choppy movement and animations and janky, not at all like I remember it, felt old.
Character art was nice though, have so many memories of some of those faces. Actually still have the original on a shelf from the good old days.

Fools idol

Banned
It just looked bad and felt bad to play, blurry and choppy movement and animations and janky, not at all like I remember it, felt old.
Character art was nice though, have so many memories of some of those faces. Actually still have the original on a shelf from the good old days.

sorry to do this but..

>Plays 25 year old game
>Complains it feels 25 years old

XD

I jest, BG2 is an all time favourite cRPG for a reason, but playing it new now, is just going to highlight how far the industry has moved on.

I have no doubt Baldur's Gate 3 will not disappoint, considering Larian's past releases. All their games are great, minus that dragon game I don't remember the title.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
It's crazy how people can have totally different experiences, I can't put em down right now.

I completely devoured every corner of BG1 and 2: Shadows of Amn for entire summers when I was a kid.

I remember a play session when I had been off school with a broken leg and I think I played it for 15 hours a day for almost 6 weeks. Just fully addicted.

I must have around 3,500 hours in total playtime over the years. I'd complete a run and then just start a new one right after. It never seemed to get old.

I ended up losing my copy somewhere between going to college and moving to stay with my grandparents, and the computer I had the game installed on eventually broke and I couldn't play it anymore, as I was too broke at the time to buy a new PC. It was hard times in the old country for me.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I don't understand what's going on, going in semi-blind (just because I don't care to follow most games closely nowadays I guess, it's not like I am actively avoiding it or anything) means I'll have some unprecedented awe inspiring jaw dropping experience even if I've played Larian games and other RPGs before? I thought it's basically just Divinity OS 3: We D&D & Dragon Age Now. Well, not "just" given those games were good and got way better. Will it make Disco Elysium alongside other genre favorites feel like shit because it's too amazing? Wouldn't it have made waves like that from the early access already if it really was something far beyond anything? What's the deal? Okay so the dev team is huge (but still not some 1000-man Ubisoft AAAA production or anything), so? People enjoyed awesome if smaller scope RPGs after playing whatever was the century's/generation's/decade's/year's pinnacle and will again after BG III. Plenty people still think the BG saga was the best trilogy ever (BG, II, TOB) and still enjoyed all kinds of RPGs that did things differently since then and carved their own way and path and style or even went ultra traditional/retro just fine.

Last edited:

EDMIX

But I think they are misguided in their views of what makes a "good, modern RPG". BioWare's current view seems to be to make it cinematic as fuck with very simple gameplay (but sometimes fun! Andromeda's combat was good)
Maybe, I think with art, there isn't a proper way to guide anything. If they feel they made a good RPG and some of us disagree, I can't argue it was misguided, it merely means we disagree.

I also disagree with the idea of how cinematic the game is having really anything to do with the gameplay, the original trilogy is very cinematic as well, merely a generational difference, but it maintains that cinematic look nonetheless. The gameplay was solid enough (my favorite of the series) that I don't feel how it looked had any impact on that.
. Which is what Inquisition and Andromeda are. Wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle, all embedded in cinematography.

Sure, but I can't fault the artist for the job of the programmer or something.

Dragon Age 3 is greatly underrated and if that is an example of a bad RPG by Bioware, they must be doing a great job then as that is still better then MOST RPGs imho. Even with how great Dragon Age 3 looks, it still has lots of branching choices, relationship options, classes and all the stuff you come to expect in an RPG. Seeing BG3 actually makes me want to reply Dragon Age 3 later this year lol

I do also hope that with better funding, Obsidian is able to make massive waves with Avowed, I didn't care for the last trailer they showed, but I want to see more of it. Hopefully they see what this team does right with BG3 to apply it to Pillars Of Eternity 3 or something.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
How the hell is any of this supposed to be considered salt? They're literally praising Larian for the insane amount of work they put into BG3.

Do any of you consider RDR2 the bare minimum of what a successful 3rd person game should be? Are the horse testicles really that important to you?

People on the internet are stupid. It's the only explanation.

Guilty_AI

I don't understand what's going on, going in semi-blind (just because I don't care to follow most games closely nowadays I guess, it's not like I am actively avoiding it or anything) means I'll have some unprecedented awe inspiring jaw dropping experience even if I've played Larian games and other RPGs before? I thought it's basically just Divinity OS 3: We D&D & Dragon Age Now. Well, not "just" given those games were good and got way better. Will it make Disco Elysium alongside other genre favorites feel like shit because it's too amazing? Wouldn't it have made waves like that from the early access already if it really was something far beyond anything? What's the deal? Okay so the dev team is huge (but still not some 1000-man Ubisoft AAAA production or anything), so? People enjoyed awesome if smaller scope RPGs after playing whatever was the century's/generation's/decade's/year's pinnacle and will again after BG III. Plenty people still think the BG saga was the best trilogy ever (BG, II, TOB) and still enjoyed all kinds of RPGs that did things differently since then and carved their own way and path and style or even went ultra traditional/retro just fine.
Basically until now we either had deep rpgs that were mostly text and slide-show based, game presentation being mainly like visual novels or text games. Or we had more cinematic high production RPGs that were as deep as puddles, with very few meaningful choices, not much role-playing options, bad combat/gampeplay, among other issues.

The hype is because BG3 is promising to be the best of both worlds. Classic BG/cRPG depth of roleplaying and mechanics, coupled with The Witcher 3 levels of production. According to people who played it, even immersive-sim elements to some degree. Closest we ever had to stuff like that were bethesda games, and those had their own myriad of issues with writing, mechanics, VA, etc.

Naturally it matters little if either you don't care about presentation and is fine with just the more 'pure' rpg elements, or you don't care much about the rpg elements and just want some cool adventure in fantasy-land.

Last edited:

amigastar

I just saw you can pick male genitals for a female character, what you guys think about that. Too woke or just a natural choice?
I mean i don't really care but people who got offended by the bear scene might be also be offended by this.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I just saw you can pick male genitals for a female character, what you guys think about that. Too woke or just a natural choice?

I mean... they have non-binary as a selection even in early access.

But think about it, this makes complete sense. This is a FANTASY game, it's based around people being something they could never be in real life, in many ways non-binary fits right in with things like Elves, Gnomes and other fantasy creatures.

amigastar

But think about it, this makes complete sense. This is a FANTASY game, it's based around people being something they could never be in real life, in many ways non-binary fits right in with things like Elves, Gnomes and other fantasy creatures.
Agreed, it's really a fantasy after all.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Instead of shitting on the game you haven't even worked on, how about go and do something similar or even better instead? Effin' idiots.

Last edited:

amigastar

Instead of shitting on the game you haven't even worked on, how about go and do something similar or even better instead? Effin' idiots.
Dude, I'm not shitting on the game at all. It's just that all the offended people made me sensible for this kind of matter. Look at my upper comment.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Dude, I'm not shitting on the game at all. It's just that all the offended people made me sensible for this kind of matter. Look at my upper comment.
I'm not talking about you, I'm sorry if you think I did:messenger_persevering:
I'm talking about those who defending their creative impotence by trying to go on the defensive against Baldur's Gate 3.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I mean i don't really care but people who got offended by the bear scene might be also be offended by this.

Girls look hot and not at all the "strang wamen" troupe. Hard to see this as woke, probably did just to appease to more people, and it fits the setting.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Character creation freedom should mean character creation freedom.

Who cares about those whiny perpetually-offended snowflakes.

This is the part I wonder about, like haven't people already been playing the first 1/3 of this game for over a year? I see people say it's pretty good here and there but nothing to the level of the hype that's been rolling out the last few weeks.

Gorgon

A natural choice. People who are offended at that have an option: fuck off and go play something else.

This. Also, it allows you to bring a fantasy version of yourself into the game if that's your thing. You're gay? You can be gay here too. It increases attachment to the game. And it's a fantasy world, not Europe in the middle ages/renaissance. Make it as progressive as you want, it's you fantasy as much as the devs. Representativeness is a good thing when done right, unlike e.g. turning a white historical character into a black person like they did on HBO's Vikings for no good reason whatsoever.

And finally: both the "woke" and the "anti-woke" pitchfork wielding, witch hunting mobs can both go fuck themselves.

This is the part I wonder about, like haven't people already been playing the first 1/3 of this game for over a year? I see people say it's pretty good here and there but nothing to the level of the hype that's been rolling out the last few weeks.
They've been adding substantial things with each update, launch including.

Plus now that launch got moved a month up the FERVOR has begun!

TIGERCOOL

Really? I've seen really high praise for it on Steam tempered by the fact that progress is getting wiped with every update in EA. Most recommend waiting for full release while acknowledging that it could be GOAT tier

amigastar

A natural choice. People who are offended at that have an option: fuck off and go play something else.

This. Also, it allows you to bring a fantasy version of yourself into the game if that's your thing. You're gay? You can be gay here too. It increases attachment to the game. And it's a fantasy world, not Europe in the middle ages/renaissance. Make it as progressive as you want, it's you fantasy as much as the devs. Representativeness is a good thing when done right, unlike e.g. turning a white historical character into a black person like they did on HBO's Vikings for no good reason whatsoever.

And finally: both the "woke" and the "anti-woke" pitchfork wielding, witch hunting mobs can both go fuck themselves.
I think the same, it's just i've seen so many people offended i slowly don't know what to believe. Is it too woke, probably not but people complain.
But like people said it already, its just a fantasy.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned

Having the ability to make trans characters in a game is not woke, jesus lol.

Fuck, I might build a dwarf with a huge cock and tits and call him Tyrion for the shits and giggles. It's brilliant.

this is how the subject should be addressed - RPG's are about freedom of choice, character creation, builds, and role playing. The tools should be provided to accurately create whatever you want, and this is what is being done.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I don't know if its even complete, but the OST on youtube is 5h45m :messenger_hushed:

Bonker

And Larian always has good music. Oh damn.
I doubt that OST is complete. The playlist is mostly unnofficial, probably from people ripping from the files or the game itself.

The bits of the final game we've seen, as well as some of the trailers, often had tracks we hadn't heard of before.

Oh, and reminder who bought the game already on pc will also get the official soundtrack, since it upgrades to deluxe

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Early access is 1/4 of the game. Even during that period there was tons of praise for the game, early access jank aside.

But now its nearing release and all the rest of the game will be available, with many more people who saved themselves for the full release jumping in, the hype naturally builds.

Top Bottom