• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad GOTY Extended Cut announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely. It's just hilarious to see this happen twice, back-to-back.

At some point maybe someone will realize that audiences might be willing to sit for an extra 20 minutes if it means a halfway coherent film, and just get it right the first time!

Did the extended cut stop Batman being a murderous psycho and Superman being a miserable fucker?
And Luthor being,,,,whatever the fuck that was?

No; Kinda yes; and No. It did at least reshape the plot into something that made basic sense getting from A to B to C.

Well, it certainly doesn't deserve the title of MOTY.
Suicide Squad was my least favorite movie this year.

The BvS extended cut didn't really change my thoughts on the movie but if this is actually the Ayer cut and SS is significantly retooled, I'll give it a shot.

The last act of the movie was bad but the first half hour is what infuriated me the most, just a bunch of random clips. I hope the beginning is completely recut but I'm probably too optimistic.

So, serious question: How much better was the Batman v. Superman extended cut? I feel like I never really heard.

For me it went from a 3/10 to a 3.1/10
The plot makes more sense but it's still the same movie, only longer.

So, serious question: How much better was the Batman v. Superman extended cut? I feel like I never really heard.

I'd say it takes it from being a bad film into a good film. Not a great one. If I were to rank these DC things I'd probably say:

BvS UC > MoS > BvS TC > SS.

ezekial45

Banned
It still had a number of problem, it made some from the original version worse, but it's far superior to the theatrical release. I'd even call a pretty cool movie.

Theatrical 6/10
Extended cut 8/10

Sheppard

I fuckin knew it. I thought David Ayer said this wasn't going to happen. Or I wonder if he said a Directors cut wouldn't happen.

Primarily it just plugged up a lot of plot holes and stuff that didn't flow in the theatrical version. Like the whole plot line of Lois Lane investigating the staged massacre in Africa and connecting it back to Lexcorp actually made some semblance of sense (relative to comic book movie standards anyway). Also it felt like it added back a lot of Superman footage making the movie feel less like a Batman story with a Superman cameo.

guek

Banned

The TC was a soggy 7-11 hotdog you find in a puddle of piss. The DC is a now a hotdog from the warmer with a few toppings but it's still gonna give you the shits afterwards.

Sephzilla

It bumps it from being a 3/10 movie to a 4/10 movie. Adding more run time to an already overly long movie was never going to magically fix it. If anything the movie needed more trimming.

Justice League teases? Out
Wonder Woman? Out
Doomsday? Out
Knightmare sequence/dreams? Out
Flash scene? Out

Shit, I'd even cut Luthor out of the movie because the conflict between Batman and Superman works way better before Luthor shits it up with the kidnapping plot.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

Its worse in every way I can think of, pretty much.

Just to be clear here, this is one of the only people anyone has seen say this. He is the only person I can remember in the OT for the Ultimate Cut that has expressed this opinion.

Most people will agree that what's in the Ultimate Cut is better, but whether you'll like the movie or not is still up in there.

Alpende

How many extra scenes (minutes) are in there? I'll watch it regardless, the ultimate edition of BvS was better too.

I liked this movie from the point where Enchantress started doing her thing and the plot started going. The beginning and their way of introducing you to the squad is terrible though, it's like they got the licenses for like a dozen songs and they need to play every one of them!

RDreamer

Interested in seeing this. Not sure it'll hit the highs of BvS extended, but it could be better than the theater.

Elevated from a great movie to a masterpiece in my opinion.

I liked this movie from the point where Enchantress started doing her thing and the plot started going. The beginning and their way of introducing you to the squad is terrible though, it's like they got the licenses for like a dozen songs and they need to play every one of them!

I took that as a sign of how chopped up the movie was.

Primarily it just plugged up a lot of plot holes and stuff that didn't flow in the theatrical version. Like the whole plot line of Lois Lane investigating the staged massacre in Africa and connecting it back to Lexcorp actually made some semblance of sense (relative to comic book movie standards anyway). Also it felt like it added back a lot of Superman footage making the movie feel less like a Batman story with a Superman cameo.

That was the biggest takeaway for me. It reframes the film more as a story of Superman's darkest hour, with Batman more clearly serving as the villain, until the end. A lot of the cut stuff is sympathetic character work for Supes and even a few moments of heroism. It makes it a better film by making the themes of post-9/11 xenophobia stand out further.

It also improves on Lex's character, at least for me. While the performance isn't changed, having a more clear view of Lex's scheme kind of reframes the character into something a little more threatening and calculated than in the TC.

It still is really overstuffed, and has story-telling issues, but it definitely improves the film.

Toa TAK

Banned

giphy.gif

Sephzilla

I can't wait for the Justice League Extended (It's Good This Time We Swear) Edition.

Basically this. They're basically telling audiences that we have to wait until bluray in order to get the "good" release. Why bother seeing the theatrical cut?

It's the "I'll wait for the GOTY edition" except in movie form

ElNarez

Banned

BvS was good all along, but people tend to say the extra stuff in the ultimate cut made it make sense in a way the theatrical cut didn't.

Litan

Interested in seeing this. Not sure it'll hit the highs of BvS extended, but it could be better than the theater.

I always laugh when I see people say BvS is a masterpiece. Anyone that so much as implies this movie is in the same league as the greatest that cinema has to offer is delusional.
Fuck opinions and subjectivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom