• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Ayer Blasts ‘Suicide Squad’: “The Studio Cut Is Not My Movie”

ManaByte

Gold Member

“I put my life into Suicide Squad,” Ayer wrote in a lengthy tweet titled “My Turn.” “I made something amazing. My cut is intricate and emotional journey with some bad people who are shit on and discarded (a theme that resonates in my soul). The studio cut is not my movie. Read that again. And my cut is not the 10 week director’s cut — it’s a fully mature edit by Lee Smith standing on the incredible work by John Gilroy. It’s all Steven Price’s brilliant score, with not a single radio song in the whole thing. It has traditional character arcs, amazing performances, a solid third-act resolution. A handful of people have seen it.”

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
No, it is. They showed it to test audiences before butchering it with a trailer house.

It‘s closer in tone to this:

There‘s a lot more Harley/Joker relationship stuff in it, and there’s a whole action sequence where the Squad fights Joker in a subway.

Yea, more Jared Leto joker would surely make this movie good. Sorry man, this stuff just stinks. Like the snyder cut I could see it being better than what initially released but still not what I would consider a good movie.

Stuart360

He's basically telling us its shit. Not that i expected any different anyway.

Edit. My bad, thought this was on about the new film lol.

Last edited:

INC

tqTW98H.jpg

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The DCEU fans all want to blame everything on the WB executives, without once acknowledging that the biggest mistake they made was handing the keys over to Zack Snyder to control it.

its true the Snyder cut of justice league was just as bad as the theatrical release.it was just filled with stupid ..sssssllllooooowwww mooooo sssccceeeneess ffffooorrr nnnnoooo rrrreeeaassssoonnnnn….

Umbasaborne

Banned
Wb was so desperate to get to marvels status right away that they handicapped their creators and focus tested their movies to shit. They wanted to be the mcu, but they didnt want to put in the work. Bunch of lazy trend chasers

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
The theatrical cut of the first SS was the result of WB trying to make it into Guardians of the Galaxy and using a trailer house to do it.
Then for the second movie they literally got the Guardians of the Galaxy director to come in. Couldn't make this shit up.

Laughing at the Joker fighting the entire Suicide Squad when he's a street level fighter at best versus like 5 people on equal terms? Lmao okay.

I'm hyped for the Gunn sequel.

I never hated the original movie either. First appearance of a great Harley. Will Smith was honestly a decent character. I'm a huge fan of the Altered Carbon dude, and he's always good. The cut as it exists now was decent for a watch, so I'm sure the original is probably a bit better.

LordCBH

No, it is. They showed it to test audiences before butchering it with a trailer house.

There‘s a lot more Harley/Joker relationship stuff in it, and there’s a whole action sequence where the Squad fights Joker in a subway.

Yup. If I remember right the dumb execs decided well after it was done that they wanted it to be like GOTG instead and sent it off to get murdered. WB executives are almost entirely incompetent.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Yup. If I remember right the dumb execs decided well after it was done that they wanted it to be like GOTG instead and sent it off to get murdered. WB executives are almost entirely incompetent.

They had the Ayer cut, which they tested in front of a test audience (my friend was there and says it was like 95% finished) and then they took that and gave it to a trailer house that WB uses to cut their trailers to butcher it down into a GOTG clone. That cut and the Ayer cut then competed in front of the WB execs and they chose the stupid version.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Lmaozz

Common dude, you can’t say “more Leto Joker” and suggest that could be a good thing in the same breath. Leto’s joker is the worst thing in the DCU… a universe already filled with horrible choices. Having more of him can only make something worse.

Arimer

Id like to see it. The whole DC universe seems like it was planned to be a more serious take and then someone said be Marvel. None of them have really felt right because of that.

He's just upset that James Gunn's vision is better.
TBH looks like OP is farming some drama.

Ayer said he wishes Gunn and the new Suicide Squad movie the best.
The director concluded by saying he is “so proud” of Gunn and “I support WB and am thrilled the franchise is getting the legs it needs … James’ brilliant work will be the miracles of miracles,” and that, “I will no longer speak publicly on the matter [about releasing an Ayer cut].”

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You have to feel bad for him. Ayer as a director has a better critical pedigree than Snyder, especially in terms of character work. So his cut getting buried because he doesn't have as active a fanbase as Zack does seems unjust to me.

ManaByte

Gold Member
TBH looks like OP is farming some drama.

1. I don't write for THR.
2. This is the first time Ayer has commented on the whole situation with his cut in such a way.

You have to feel bad for him. Ayer as a director has a better critical pedigree than Snyder, especially in terms of character work. So his cut getting buried because he doesn't have as active a fanbase as Zack does seems unjust to me.

It cost HBO over $70M to finish Snyder's Justice League. Ayer's Suicide Squad is basically finished. There are like, at most, five shots that need the effects finished. It'd cost nothing to finish those shots and upload it to HBO.

Last edited:
1. I don't write for THR.
2. This is the first time Ayer has commented on the whole situation with his cut in such a way
[1] Ok. But you signal blast their click-bait headline and purposefully ignore all the details that have nuance in Ayer’s 3-page statement.
[2] See [1] (i.e.—what about the rest of Ayer’s statement)

Last edited:

LordCBH

They had the Ayer cut, which they tested in front of a test audience (my friend was there and says it was like 95% finished) and then they took that and gave it to a trailer house that WB uses to cut their trailers to butcher it down into a GOTG clone. That cut and the Ayer cut then competed in front of the WB execs and they chose the stupid version.

Gotta love incompetence. I have been wanting to see the actual Ayer cut forever.

Like some of have said, it seriously can't get any better as long as the Joker they envisioned was the forgettable Leto attempt at the character.

No amount of traditional arcs and the likes can save a shit performance and pretty average written lines.

At least with JL, you knew the issue was the reshoots and changes in the script that led to huge disparity between two directors.. Jared Leto's performance is as is, and likely so is the stupid giant totally not a superhero battle with the out-of-nowhere villain, but just spliced and edited differently.

It's not Kingdom of Heaven: Director's Cut level of difference is what I'm saying.

sounds like he's desperate to do an "Ayer Cut". not happening!

i watched it last night and it's not great but not terrible either. doesn't need another version. the guy sounds a bit salty cause there's a new suicide squad out today. oh well.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

It never ends with dceu fans. This movie was shit it must be because of studio interference! No. It was just shit.
I'm neither a DC nor Marvel fan. I don't care for comics at all. However, I've watched all Marvel and DC films, and I was really looking forward to the DC Snyderverse, as a legitimate alternative to what Marvel was offering.

Zack Snyder doesn't do happy movies. David Ayer doesn't do happy movies. Warner execs completely fucked Justice League and Suicide Squad, and that's not an excuse at all. You can look at the final results of both movies, and look at the rest of the body of work of the directors, and it is indisputable that they are both a tonal a mess. It's like the Fantastic 4 reboot, which was also a fucking disaster that was clearly not the director's vision (though his behavior apparently helped to scuttle that vision).

You don't hire Snyder and Ayer for a project that you want to be chock full of humor and glee. They don't make funny films. They were brought on to create dark takes on the comics, which was part of the Snyderverse. That is the only thing that makes logical sense, because both directors are known for darker and grittier types of films. If you don't want dark and gritty, don't fucking hire these 2 directors. WB then trying to alter the projects midstream was never going to work, and we ended up with 2 movies that are fucking awful by every conceivable metric.

If you don't like Snyder films, you won't like the Snyder Cut, but it is a hell of a lot better than the theatrical release. The story is far more cohesive, and the fact that Cyborg plays a major role in his cut, while being almost completely removed from the theatrical release is just baffling. I'm trying to think of a similar scenario for Marvel movies. Like cutting Loki out of Ragnarok is probably the best example I can think of. The 3rd most-important character, who plays a significant role in the team overcoming the odds, while also gaining some character development.

Warner sabotaged the films. You can think they might not have been good anyway, but I can't imagine they would have been the disasters that they ended up being. The theatrical Snyder Cut wouldn't have had the runtime to flesh everything out the way it ultimately did, but there was some fluff that could be cut without losing the development that Cyborg got, and the actual team building that took place. Likewise, I imagine Suicide Squad would have felt much grittier, with a group of psychopaths struggling to not kill each other, while trying to save the world. Instead they were a capricious gang of losers that I couldn't have cared less about, with some of the team members like Boomerang and Croc getting almost no screentime nor development.

Warner Brothers doesn't deserve the DC comics. They'll just cash in on another Batman movie, because it's almost impossible to do those wrong. You can do dark and moody, or neon camp, and it will all sell. The Patterson Batman looks awesome, and it is not funny or fun. It looks dark and gritty. It's how I expected the DC films to progress, but then they gave us 2 schizo films in JL and SS, because they were afraid of the kind of films the people they hired have always been known for. They can just fuck off and give the IP to a studio that cares.

Watched this garbage not too long ago and it was the absolute definition of cringe and trying too hard for a laugh. John Cena should stick to making faces on WWE and the widely respected Idris Elba should stick to dramas as comedy isn’t his thing.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Watched this garbage not too long ago and it was the absolute definition of cringe and trying too hard for a laugh. John Cena should stick to making faces on WWE and the widely respected Idris Elba should stick to dramas as comedy isn’t his thing.
By "not too long ago" do you mean earlier today? The movie with Cena and Elba just released in the UK today.

Shubh_C63

Where are all these incompetent WB executives when it comes to animated movies or WB TV shows.

Top Bottom