• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad: Jared Leto seems less than thrilled his Joker scenes got cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

megamerican

The studio did him a massive favor considering how embarrassing his performance was.

The shot at Ledger makes him look like even more of an asshole than his reputation suggests. Hopefully they can figure out a way to re-cast this try hard douche version of the Joker.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Probably not, apparently a lot of those scenes show cased Joker and Harley's abusive relationship and the new cut of the movie took out all of those references plus others where characters said some 'bad guy' type stuff.

Ugh. If this is true that sucks. You could see the glimmers of the abuse in the film, shoulda been more pronounced.

Nudull

Banned
I feel like the cast and crew worked really hard on the movie and were pleased of the thing they got to be a part of and became friends, practically bonding on set and then WB slashed apart and moved around the thing they were so proud of.

Jared is just the only one venting(atleast publicly) and it makes sense considering his character was the one to lose out the most. Here's a list of the scenes that were cut from the movie, be sure to ctrl+f Joker: https://www.reddit.com/r/DC_Cinemat...st_of_the_deleted_scenes/d65ifd0?compact=true

A few of those cut scenes sound even worse than what we actually got. About on par with some of BvS' own issues.

Azerare

His performance was defintely flawed but some people are acting like Leto personally pooped in their breakfast.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
He's just having a Sadffleck moment: realizing you're trapped in the hell that is the DC Cinematic Universe, and its turds all the way down.

I bet Will Smith is on this train too.

That Rick Ross video is actually a better showcase for Leto than the actual movie

I think there's something spectacularly underwhelming about it. Like they thought taking Leto out with Ross and Skrillex would be a gas, but when Leto got on set he didn't really know what to do but waltz around with his cane and pose with a grimace on his face.

Zakalwe

Banned
He's a self-important twit. I've never seen an actor work so hard to prepare for roles and still give such mediocre performances. His Oscar win for Dallas Buyer's Club was embarrassing and unfortunate.

Absolute nonsense. You're going to be in a vocal minority (at best) calling that performance bad, friend.

WHY would you cut this out!?

Seriously, it's not a hilarious joke or anything, but it's at least something and it was featured fairly predominately in your early marketing

Man...this movie truly sounds like it was ripped apart in editing

If that list is true it sounds like a lot of potentially good character development moments were cut out, but to be perfectly honest I side with whoever made the "cut the bar scene down" call. The whole "what are you drinking?" routine is already a massive cliche; going through it for an entire ensemble cast would have been way too on the nose. I remember thinking that when that trailer first aired.

His performance was defintely flawed but some people are acting like Leto personally pooped in their breakfast.

I don't even get how anyone could criticise his performance when all we've got to judge it is the butchered mess WB's stupid execs shat out.

Monocle

Ledger as the Joker was totally unrecognizable to me the first three times I saw The Dark Knight. Leto as the Joker looks like Jared Leto mugging for the camera from scene one. He tried really really hard and that effort looks like acting. You see him and you think to yourself, "This is an actor trying to act unhinged."

They should have found someone who could be the Joker, not act like him. Hell, cast Tilda Swinton. I guarantee she would have killed it.

Glass Rebel

I feel like the cast and crew worked really hard on the movie and were pleased of the thing they got to be a part of and became friends, practically bonding on set and then WB slashed apart and moved around the thing they were so proud of.

Jared is just the only one venting(atleast publicly) and it makes sense considering his character was the one to lose out the most. Here's a list of the scenes that were cut from the movie, be sure to ctrl+f Joker: https://www.reddit.com/r/DC_Cinemat...st_of_the_deleted_scenes/d65ifd0?compact=true

So Devin was right? If this stuff is true, DC and WB really have lost the plot.

Ledger as the Joker was totally unrecognizable to me the first three times I saw The Dark Knight. Leto as the Joker looks like Jared Leto mugging for the camera from scene one. He tried really really hard and that effort looks like acting. You see him and you think to yourself, "This is an actor trying to act unhinged."

They should have found someone who could be the Joker, not act like him. Hell, cast Tilda Swinton. I guarantee she would have killed it.

This would be the greatest actor/character combination of all time.

I am imagining an insane, creepy, borderline ethereal Joker that gets under Batman's skin like no one else.

tilda1_2101063b.jpg

"You'll never be sad, and you'll never be lonely. You'll always have me to dance with."

JimiNutz

Banned
People saying that The Joker should have been in the film less are absolutely crazy.
Joker should have been the main fucking villain!

Instead we got a disastrous main villain and a final battle that was way over the top and didn't really suit the tone of the film.

Joker as the main villain would have been way better. How would HQ react? Would her inclusion in the squad simply have been as bait to lure Mr J out? Would she betray her team to run off with him? Would she overcome the abusive relationship that she had endured up to this point and find redemption at the end?

They should have focused the film around HQ and Joker and maybe given Deadshot a separate villain that he can shoot at (maybe deranged zombies infected by some kind of Joker serum instead of those strange rock people).

Only issue I can see with having Joker as main villain is why Batman wasnt involved in taking him down. Which they could maybe explain by Batman being obsessed with taking down Superman at the time that all this was happening?

Monocle

This would be the greatest actor/character combination of all time.

I am imagining an insane, creepy, borderline ethereal Joker that gets under Batman's skin like no one else.

tilda1_2101063b.jpg
YES. I would sacrifice the next ten DC movies to see this in just one. No way Tilda would mess it up. Hand her a good script, stand back, and let her work.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Man, I don't get the ego. I am an actor, I've had directors want to dub me (ended up just ADRing myself), cut scenes I've been proud of, fight scenes, you name it. You do what's right for the directors vision and the audience.

Bebpo

Banned
Would work best like in Assault on Arkham, the wildcard that throws a wrench in their plans and fucks everything up. The squad should be more scared of him than the main antagonist.

I don't really understand why this movie wasn't just a live-action remake of Assault on Arkham. Like I'll admit I don't know much about Suicide Squad but Assault on Arkham seemed like the perfect SS movie and would've made for a great live-action film with a few script changes.

Honestly, I need to watch the film in English to make a better judgement.

Here in Spain the dubbing was just lame. I almost could swear it had the same voice as Jim Carrey in films like Batman Forever or The Mask.

EGM1966

People saying that The Joker should have been in the film less are absolutely crazy.
Joker should have been the main fucking villain!

Instead we got a disastrous main villain and a final battle that was way over the top and didn't really suit the tone of the film.

Joker as the main villain would have been way better. How would HQ react? Would her inclusion in the squad simply have been as bait to lure Mr J out? Would she betray her team to run off with him? Would she overcome the abusive relationship that she had endured up to this point and find redemption at the end?

They should have focused the film around HQ and Joker and maybe given Deadshot a separate villain that he can shoot at (maybe deranged zombies infected by some kind of Joker serum instead of those strange rock people).

Only issue I can see with having Joker as main villain is why Batman wasnt involved in taking him down. Which they could maybe explain by Batman being obsessed with taking down Superman at the time that all this was happening?
The film they made doesn't allow for much Joker presence: hence why I and others are pointing out this film would be better with less of him.

They could make a film with more of him but it would need to be fairly different structure and plot and it would no longer focus on the squad: because it would be nigh impossible to have a decent plot that had a lot of joker and still focus on the squad as the leads.

People like yourself wanting more of the Joker want a different film, which is fine, but his presence hurts more than helps this one, and unbalances focus on squad and in particular HQ.

The simplest and easiest way to make a good SS film would be to have a narrative that keeps Batman and Joker well away and an antagonist who makes sense for them to combat (which I don't think SS managed as an aside).

The medium of film makes large ensemble a challenge, and it takes very good script, narrative and scene construction to make it work. SS struggled just handling the squad as an ensemble hence why adding more Joker (and then having to explain where Batman is) would only make it worse: the films already muddled and messy in its editing with less Joker. Adding more scenes into the film is more likely to simply make it worse than better.

vareon

I didn't like his performance as Joker, but this Joker didn't have many things to do in the movie either. The scene where he (minor spoiler)
laughed in the middle of knives
tried way too hard.

Arkeband

Banned
Probably not, apparently a lot of those scenes show cased Joker and Harley's abusive relationship and the new cut of the movie took out all of those references plus others where characters said some 'bad guy' type stuff.

They had to go back for reshoots to add "jokes", like Harley Quinn's punchline "now that's a 'killer App!'"

Hollywood writing at its finest.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Maybe I am in the minority but I thought that he played a pretty good Joker. There are some things that needed to be done to make it better - Show more abuse from Joker to Harley. They showed her as the psychologist then she was madly in love? Wah? Why not show her mind fucking her during sessions and then abusing her creating a Stockholm Syndrome type relationship? - Way more interplay between them and the rest of the world would have been good too. That scene in the club was a horrible throw away.

In all I thought that the Joker wasn't even necessary to the movie. They wanted to add depth to Harley but I feel they could have executed differently.

I don't really understand why this movie wasn't just a live-action remake of Assault on Arkham. Like I'll admit I don't know much about Suicide Squad but Assault on Arkham seemed like the perfect SS movie and would've made for a great live-action film with a few script changes.

It seems that most of the massive budget was used on the CGI McGuffin and the villain(s), so a more straightforward black ops story (or fight/shootout a la Deadpool) might have saved them close to $100 million as well.

Lots of questionable choices around WB's script and editing teams. At least the casting was great.

With a better script they would have shown those scenes and then have Harley
go through a character arc where she slowly realizes she doesn't need him anymore instead of being madly in love with him.
The Joker scenes in the movie already show him doing some slight abuse to her.

EGM1966

Tilda Swinton would be amazing choice. Have to be a Joker centric film though: anything else would be a waste.

What a tit.

I haven't seen suicide squad, all I've seen of his joker is from trailers. Now I know he is a very good actor I am not going to lie and yeah it must be annoying when your work gets cut but to day about the death thing?

I always thought Heath Ledger was a pretty poor actor. He seemed to play very safe characters in pretty poor films. His death gave a lot of publicity onto his role as the Joker, but had he been alive he would have still got critical acclaim.

His joker was an amazing performance, it was Oscar worthy and that one performance is a curse to everyone who will ever play the Joker again as everyone will always remember Ledgers performance.

Leto you may have been an excellent joker, but don't try and make this about getting more acclaim once you die, its crass and shows you to be a whiny little c**t.

PS
Tilda Swindon as a joker? She could play a very interesting one. The idea of an androgynous looking joker would be very different and cool.

Still want to see them try a new Riddler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom