• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad: Jared Leto seems less than thrilled his Joker scenes got cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Having Batman trying to stop them changes the dynamic from "superpowered operatives on a mission" to "villlains on a mission". For all the talk of it being the Suicide Squad and the bad guys, do they even feel like "bad guys" here? It's different in the comics, where the reader knows the history, but you can't treat it it like that in the movie. People don't have the preconcieved notion that these are villains, or have history with these characters.

Heck, you can even have him take them out one-by-one over the course of the film like a horror movie.

jelly

giphy.gif

Ha, forgot he was in that. Batman does kill.

Kibbles

From a recent interview with IGN where they got the chance to sit down with the actor:

mqdefault.jpg

Jared mate, you're not Heath Ledger and that's okay.

Hurt me really, really bad if old.
Jared's always this weird and morbid. Has nothing to do with Heath he was talking about how actors footage always comes out after their deaths.

tumblr_inline_obh1mvzOFV1qz9244_540.jpg

Shit must suck, he spent 6 months with no eyebrows, green hair, and got jacked up for the role and dedicated himself and only ends up with 10min. It's not like he was only on set for a couple weeks, that's 6 months of his personal life invested in this film.

Also, y'all can stop with " his shit on set" everyone gives gifts to costars, he just decided to have fun and do it I'm character. Cara and Margot have talked about how he's sent thoughtful and nice gifts relating to their character too, but it's only fun to talk about the weird ones. The "used condoms" btw were clarified by David Ayer in Rolling Stone were just "open condoms" ripped out of their packaging, nothing more. It also makes sense given how Ayer has written this Joker to be more crude. The lines about Harley being the itch in his crotch and later on him saying he has a bare skin rubber waiting,,,

Jared has said the whole ,calling him "Mr. J" thing and separating Jim was entirely David Ayer's doing. A lot of you are confusing the actors telling the same marketing points in every interview about how Jared was in character and sent them gifts as him having a shit ton of antics on set. Sending some gifts is nothing and from interviews it sounds like the cast got themselves into a bunch their own weird crazy shit they refuse to talk about.

But Jared has talked about how it's the most fun he ever had on a movie and how he is looking forward to seeing this Joker go up against Batmam so he's really not all doom and gloom about it, just probably disappointed the movie ended up a lot different.

EGM1966

Having Batman trying to stop them changes the dynamic from "superpowered operatives on a mission" to "villlains on a mission". For all the talk of it being the Suicide Squad and the bad guys, do they even feel like "bad guys" here? It's different in the comics, where the reader knows the history, but you can't treat it like that in the movie. People don't have the preconcieved notion that these are villains, or have history with these characters.
Nah. It's still awful logic to have them government sanctioned AND have Batman after them. That's the kind of weak plotting that hurts legs and reviews.

The right approach for the film they were making is to have content that makes it clear who they are.

They clearly decided to softball idea they're villains anyway. The audience ultimately is supposed to root for them so they were always going to be defined as misfits.

They should have just completely ripped off Dirty Dozen completely and decided who's "thieves with honour" and who's legit bad guys who will be taken down in the end (by the honourable misfits on the team).

Of course the real big logic flaw is why not just have Batman solve stuff as he's clearly capable of and leave 'em in jail. Hell he had no trouble taking down Superman so if you're worried about next Superman being bad... Seems more obvious route to go. He's proven in the role why risk these guys?

Bottom line DC and WB do not have their internal logic ducks in a row for their cinematic Universe and it's showing painfully with every film thus far.

If all this stuff has to intercut nicely they need to at least match Marvel's fairly solid execution in keeping all the characters relevant to each other across different films.

Nah. It's still awful logic to have them government sanctioned AND have Batman after them. That's the kind of weak plotting that hurts legs and reviews.
You think Barman cares if they're government sanctioned or not? That's like saying the assassins in Bourne movies shouldn't be stopped because they're government-sanctioned

Astral Dog

poor Jared :(

The movie definetly needed more Joker scenes,they made the fucking Joker an accessory to Harley Queen. and even kind of symphatetic

EGM1966

You think Barman cares if they're government sanctioned or not? That's like saying the assassins in Bourne movies shouldn't be stopped because they're government-sanctioned
I think general audiences who don't read CB question weak logic. The evidence is there. For the budget and numbers WB want they need to reach general audiences like Nolan did and Marvel do.

Batman isn't real. None of it is. But it should still make sense. Having a dirty dozen film AND Batman AND Joker is too much to balance (as the messy edit of SS shows).

Throw everything into the blender and you get mediocre results like BvS and SS. It's not like the evidence isn't right there in the films themselves. They're bloated messes of movies.

You avoid confusion with why have SS at all by keeping Batman and Superman out of it or by including them sensibly.

Having the squad have s mission and antagonist AMD have to worry about Batman or other Heros is too much to juggle unless you have s really good script, narrative and director capable of executing that complexity.

I like Ayers other films bit on the evidence neither he nor the scriptwriters were up to it (although I'll concede many issues could be studio interference based if they tried to force stuff into the mix).

Erevador

People make fun of him, but he is a gifted, Oscar-winning actor.

It sucks that he had his work butchered by the studio. I think he has a right to be upset about it.

he has every right to be frustrated, i thought his joker was really intriguing but def needed more sceeentime to flesh out the character

EGM1966

Lol. I guess that's a low blow in heated comic book character discussions.

But I honestly don't care s not about their comic setting. Once they're in s film they need to work based on ful logic or get critiqued for failing to.

Honestly at this point it feels every DC film has to have a part for every character. They need to tone it down and show some damn patience and build this shit up sensibly.

The whole focus on Joker gor SS for him to be fairly minor role is a good microsm of the issue.

Sojgat

Can't say I blame him. I didn't like him in the film, but the way his scenes were edited definitely didn't help his performance at all.

I feel pretty sympathetic with him on this one. By all accounts he did a lot of filming and actual work on the film and had that all boiled down essentially to a cameo. That has to piss you off.

ShutterMunster

This thread, particularly the first page, is weird AF. Dude put a lot of work in and a lot of his scenes were cut. He's upset. Why is that hard to fathom? This actor's response is not specific to Leto—go read the responses of actors who were cut completely out of Terrence Malick's films.

Bringing Heath into this conversation is bizarre.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I greatly enjoyed his take on the Joker and was pretty peeved that most of his lines, and scenes from the trailers weren't in the movie. Can't wait to see him in the Batfleck movie, hopefully with an expanded role.

guggnichso

Banned
Of course the real big logic flaw is why not just have Batman solve stuff as he's clearly capable of and leave 'em in jail. Hell he had no trouble taking down Superman so if you're worried about next Superman being bad... Seems more obvious route to go. He's proven in the role why risk these guys?

But well, Batman doesn't work for the government.

watershed

Banned
This thread, particularly the first page, is weird AF. Dude put a lot of work in and a lot of his scenes were cut. He's upset. Why is that hard to fathom? This actor's response is not specific to Leto—go read the responses of actors who were cut completely out of Terrence Malick's films.

Bringing Heath into this conversation is bizarre.
I think it's Leto's own reference to dying that makes people think about HL. It's a natural connection to make give the context.

Not sure what's up with all the Leto hate. He's actually a pretty great actor.

Anyone would be piss after working so hard for this role. He was so excited for it too, just to see most of it being cut from the movie. It must feel pretty shitty.

I've not seen the film, but it does sound like ego tripping which isn't abnormal. I think it's difficult being an actor. Way more difficult than most people realize, but it is possible (speculating) that Jared Leto tried too hard.

Many great actors have fallen into the trap of overplaying, when portraying a psychopath characters. Why? Because playing crazy loonies is the favorite thing for actors. They get to be broad, express themselves, and are much more unhinged than playing good characters.

And there is something the audience picks up about an actor playing "crazy". Much like actors being drunk. It's very hard to pull off. The audience gets annoyed quickly because it robs the story of having to make sense. Having a psycho character means that the character can break the dramatically based structure and not adhere to the script. It doesn't have to make sense because the character is insane, and so the actor can do what it wants, acting like a baby. It gets old.

So to pull it off, an actor/actress need to find a very narrow window of being insane, and being coherent and relateable in some form, and Heath Ledgers Joker did that. Ledgers Joker, like Nickelson also absolutely nailed the one-liners ("why so serious?", "some men want to watch the world burn" and so on) and that was incredible entertaining.

I don't understand it because Jared Leto is a great actor, but he also has an ego. He won an Oscar even. He doesn't have to be so upset.

I think a good example of this is Jim Carreys Riddler.... Shit is insufferable

Sorcerer

Thinking about it know, if Joker is the antagonist of the solo Batman movie, then all the hype to a Joker reveal is blown. They may have wasted a good opportunity giving him such a tiny part in this movie. Some surprise is gone.

Kibbles

I wonder if Leto signed a multi-film contract. Doesn't sound like he might want to come back. :p
He did some more interviews recently where he sounded excited for the Joker's future so I think he's coming back. Rumor is Ryan Gosling turned down the role because he didn't want to sign on for a multi picture deal, so if that's true I assume Leto did.

benjipwns

Banned
Thinking about it know, if Joker is the antagonist of the solo Batman movie, then all the hype to a Joker reveal is blown. They may have wasted a good opportunity giving him such a tiny part in this movie. Some surprise is gone.
Joker being in a Batman movie is a big surprise to conceal?

Sorcerer

Joker being in a Batman movie is a big surprise to conceal?

Not Joker himself, but the revealing of the Joker. No we know what to expect because he had 8 minutes in SS that seem somewhat trivial.
Makes me wonder if they have other plans for that movie?

Staf

Not sure what's up with all the Leto hate. He's actually a pretty great actor.

Anyone would be piss after working so hard for this role. He was so excited for it too, just to see most of it being cut from the movie. It must feel pretty shitty.

I agree. He is a great actor, but a shit Joker.

hope we see an R Rated Version of this movie. I`m sick of DC trying to copy Marvel. Make your movies and stop fu**ing up such great characters. Filming alot of scenes with Joker and then leaving it out is such a stupid idea.

Not going to see this in the cinema. They wont get my money for acting like idiots.

Staf

hope we see an R Rated Version of this movie. I`m sick of DC trying to copy Marvel. Make your movies and stop fu**ing up such great characters. Filming alot of scenes with Joker and then leaving it out is such a stupid idea.

Not going to see this in the cinema. They wont get my money for acting like idiots.

How are they copying Marvel? Do you mean by having an interconnected cinematic universe?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I feel like the cast and crew worked really hard on the movie and were pleased of the thing they got to be a part of and became friends, practically bonding on set and then WB slashed apart and moved around the thing they were so proud of.

Jared is just the only one venting(atleast publicly) and it makes sense considering his character was the one to lose out the most. Here's a list of the scenes that were cut from the movie, be sure to ctrl+f Joker: https://www.reddit.com/r/DC_Cinemat...st_of_the_deleted_scenes/d65ifd0?compact=true

Dabanton

Tbh the trailers gave the impression that he'd be in it a lot more than he was.

I liked this version of the joker. Sort of embedded in the crime world. Loved the scene of him at the strip club with the prison guard. The anticipation of his arrival. His goons.

Hopefully we see some more of his Joker in another movie.

How are they copying Marvel? Do you mean by having an interconnected cinematic universe?

no by trying to copy Guardians of the galaxy. It`s clear that the movie was dark and gritty. So dark they cut almost everything Leto filmed and reshoot so much the reviews say it`s like watching 2 movies.

WB is all over the place and it`s annoying to see great characters like the Joker getting kicked in the metal teeth like that.

Memento

Well, good for him and the movie that it was cutted, because he is the worst Joker ever according to some critics I've read.

I feel like the cast and crew worked really hard on the movie and were pleased of the thing they got to be a part of and became friends, practically bonding on set and then WB slashed apart and moved around the thing they were so proud of.

Jared is just the only one venting(atleast so far) and it makes sense considering his character was the one to lose out the most. Here's a list of the scenes that were cut from the movie, be sure to ctrl+f Joker: https://www.reddit.com/r/DC_Cinemat...st_of_the_deleted_scenes/d65ifd0?compact=true
They really sliced this movie up. Removed all the character defining stuff that would have given the squad personality

Could have posted the video interview too:

https://youtu.be/sVKW0izq5ps

Somehow it's actually worse than I would have imagined.

Honestly he was better than I expected in Suicide Squad, in that I didn't cringe throughout all of his (blessedly few) scenes. But he also sucked all of the energy out of any scene he was in, so it's too bad future DC movies are stuck with his 'take' on the character. A Joker who isn't funny, scary, or really anything memorable at all is a strange approach to the character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom