• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SUPPOSEDLY Leaked Non-Final XBOX 2 Specifications

pilonv1

shpankey said:
btw... why are they only putting 256 megs of ram in it? Damn them... they fucked up when they only put 64 in Xbox, now they're fucking up again. They should be talking 1 gig IMO. At least 512 minimum. 256 is just going to be a bottleneck this gen... AGAIN.

If they would output 1080p, with 6x FSAA and 16x AF with trilinear (which ATI can do already and is my dream for next gen consoles), then if you account for the ram for the game code, then the ram for the textures and buffers and all that other shit, 256 is just not enough... AGAIN. Fuckers. They always skimp in the wrong spots.

Missing must have items for Xbox Next...

Hard Drive
Backwards Compatibility
gig of ram
1080p
DVI output
6x FSAA (they only mention 4x)

damnit.

All in a $300 console? Some people expect everything for nothing.

aaaaa0

GigaDrive said:
4 gigapixels/sec is less than Radeon X800 XT.

I'm thinking once you can run really long pixel shaders, fillrate isn't as interesting as the number of shader ops you can run, since you only write to the framebuffer after you've run your shader.

IJoel

aaaaa0 said:
How's that?

I thought the X800 only had 6 vertex shader units and 16 pixel shader units?

According to this document (if it's not total BS), the xenon GPU has 48 shader units, which are dynamically assignable between vertex and pixel shading.

That's quite an upgrade from X800...

That's way beyond anything on PC cards right now.

You are not precisely right, but neither am I... well I think.

Each pipeline has 2 ALUs (ATI's latest architecture that is), 1 full and 1 mini ALU and both can do Vec3/Scal computations. The current X800XT configuration is 16x1 which would represent 16x2 ALUs, or 32 ALUs. Considering the Xenon has 48, it seems a step up from the X800XT configuration, and most likely, what will become the base for the R500 release for ATI which would have a 24x1 configuration (24x2 or 48 ALUs).

Anyway... move on... nothing to see here... :p

In any case, it does seem quite reasonable.

GigaDrive

Banned
and 22+ GB/sec memory bandwidth is less than 4x higher than Xbox's 6.4 GB/sec ...although the EDRAM will alieviate that bottleneck I guess.

BeOnEdge

Banned
"If these specs are close to true, Xbox 2 is gonna get creamed in fillrate by PS3."

doesnt the fill rate relate to how much is displayed on screen? wouldnt TV rez be a bottleneck making sonys claims of mega fillrates worthless? we invented the printing press!

shpankey

not an idiot
BeOnEdge said:
1, a gig of ram does nothing. if sega can get outrun 2 running flawlessly with 1/2 the ram from its arcade board, 4 times the ram is FINE. this isnt a resource hogging PC. 256 is perfect.
2, its 1080i not 1080p
3, DVI can be sold seperately like todays HD pack. its not mainstream enough to be standard.
4, Please dont bring up BC ever again.

You have got to be kidding with this post?

1. More ram means better textures, higher resolution, higher FSAA and AF and saying a gig of ram "does nothing" is just not true (and I find it hard to believe you even said it).

2. First of all, there *IS* a 1080p (progressive). Not to be confused with 1080i. Yes, it's out there already and more and more displays will be doing it.

3. As long as I can get DVI, I'll be happy.

4. I personally am not a big proponent of BC, but whatever will make people happy I'm all for.

element

give me a break!! 1080p sets will hardly be consumer reachable within 5 years. There isn't any programming for 1080p commercially avalible today. Once the move to HD siginal goes through, the standards will be 480p and 1080i. 1080p just not needed.

IJoel

MightyHedgehog said:
Aha! Element enters the thread. So, does this mean that these specs are close to the real thing, then?

Please, don't put Element in that position as he can't be MS' official nor unofficial voice. ;)

----

Banned
Suikoguy said:
I think Wi-Fi should be an addon, not everybody has a wireless home network.
But it should be a cheaper addon then the current one.
Well they're only going to become even more common place once DS and PSP hit the market. If both of those systems take off and sell in the millions then just about everyone is going to want to have wireless access in their homes to play their PSP or DS online. During Xbox 2's planned lifetime WiFi home access should be very prevalent. I would expect Xbox 2 to have at least as good hardware as the average budget laptop of the last 6 months, but I guess not.

shpankey

not an idiot
element said:
give me a break!! 1080p sets will hardly be consumer reachable within 5 years. There isn't any programming for 1080p commercially avalible today. Once the move to HD siginal goes through, the standards will be 480p and 1080i. 1080p just not needed.

They're consumer reachable right now. Serious.

Also, this years Sony LCD rear projection sets are also gonna do it, which will make it even more mainstream.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
are both 720p and 1080i heavily supported by tvs? isnt 720p better then 1080i?

IJoel

element said:

I only ask for 1080i. I sure hope they don't try pushing 720p on gamers because... RAWRRRRRRRRRRRR!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
GuntherBait said:
Depends on the TV that displays it. Some that can do 1080i and 720p look like shit in one or the other.

well, if xenon is designed to run 720p without stressing at all, couldnt it also do 1080i, or is that more demanding?

----

Banned
IJoel said:
I am somewhat disappointed by the lack of wireless controllers out of the box. Oh well...
Gimmie a nice wireless controller that charges when plugged into the console and I'll be happy. When are we gonna reach this point?

op_ivy said:
well, if xenon is designed to run 720p without stressing at all, couldnt it also do 1080i, or is that more demanding?
Doubtful since it sounds like their CPU can handle the user input of the selected output which would mean that 1080i (HD) for the Xenon (Xbox 2) is very likely. :)

Yeah....if this shit's true...

In addition to an extremely powerful GPU, Xenon also includes a very high-quality resize filter. This filter allows consumers to choose whatever output mode they desire. Xenon automatically scales the game’s output buffer to the consumer-chosen resolution.

shpankey

not an idiot
teepo said:
1080p is worthless right now. there isn't even a damn camera that can record at 1080p.

What does a camera have to do with a console and 1080p?

How is 1080p worthless exactly? If a display devices can render 1080p (they are already here and they are going to become more and more available in the next year), and a console could output at 1080p (shouldn't be hard, plenty of fillrate and ram in next gen systems should make it absolutely no problem at all) what does anything else you can bring up matter? I mean really. Who the fuck cares what a camera can record at?

all i have to say is that
The media format will be similar to Xbox, with approximately 6 GB of usable space on the disk. As on Xbox, media will be stored on a single side in two 3 GB layers.
is not true, so i can only assume the rest is fake too

thorns

Banned
All those 'extras' rack up the cost considerably.. and 1 gig of ram is waay over the top and totally unnecessary, considering very very few % of people will have HDTVs even after five years.

My guess is those if you want all the extras (BC, HDD, wireless etc) you'll have to pay for it yourself, since most likely the hardware itself, cpus etc. cost a lot themselves.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
The Faceless Master said:
all i have to say is that is not true, so i can only assume the rest is fake too

There is security information, anybody who worked on Xbox games can confirm that.

----

Banned
thorns said:
All those 'extras' rack up the cost considerably.. and 1 gig of ram is waay over the top and totally unnecessary, considering very very few % of people will have HDTVs even after five years.

My guess is those if you want all the extras (BC, HDD, wireless etc) you'll have to pay for it yourself, since most likely the hardware itself, cpus etc. cost a lot themselves.
Excuse me, a HDD isn't an "extra" it is a major component of all modern PC's. Would you buy a computer without a HDD? I don't think so. After Xbox any console that told me I had to buy a HD as an extra would sound like a major downgrade from the system I already had.

No thank you. I don't want to be told I'm going to have to buy tons of expensive add-ons for an already expensive console that doesn't do what I want it to do out of the box. Forget it, if this is true, Microsoft is going backwards not forwards. The next generation of hardware is supposed to advance us forward from where we already are, not take us back to the shortcomings we had to deal with in the past. If MS thinks I'm going to run out and buy a USB hard drive for my video game console they are insane.

They're going to remove the expansion ports from the controllers? They're going to remove the hard drive? They're going to tell us we need to buy new microphones, hard drives, cameras and that all of the accessories and games we have for Xbox are worthless? I don't care how powerful this system could be it sounds like a complete rip off and a major feature downgrade from Xbox 1. I want at a bare minimum all the features that were in Xbox 1, and I'd appreciate it very much if all the hardware and software you had me buy for Xbox 1 didn't become useless the day Xbox 2 replaces it.

Akira

So audio will be processed by the CPU? Couldn't this possibly be a bad thing?

Also, 512MB of RAM would be ideal. 1GB would be perfect.

---- said:
Excuse me, a HDD isn't an "extra" it is a major component of all modern PC's. Would you buy a computer without a HDD? I don't think so. After Xbox any console that told me I had to buy a HD as an extra would sound like a major downgrade from the system I already had.

No thank you. I don't want to be told I'm going to have to buy tons of expensive add-ons for an already expensive console that doesn't do what I want it to do out of the box. Forget it, if this is true, Microsoft is going backwards not forwards. The next generation of hardware is supposed to advance us forward from where we already are, not take us back to the shortcomings we had to deal with in the past. If MS thinks I'm going to run out and buy a USB hard drive for my video game console they are insane.

They're going to remove the expansion ports from the controllers? They're going to remove the hard drive? They're going to tell us we need to buy new microphones, hard drives, cameras and that all of the accessories and games we have for Xbox are worthless? I don't care how powerful this system could be it sounds like a complete rip off and a major feature downgrade from Xbox 1. I want at a bare minimum all the features that were in Xbox 1, and I'd appreciate it very much if all the hardware and software you had me buy for Xbox 1 didn't become useless the day Xbox 2 replaces it.
yeah, after dreamcast, i saw any console without native vga as a downgrade :-/

There is security information, anybody who worked on Xbox games can confirm that.

That's a fuckload of security information. Do they enjoy throwing away disc space? PS2 doesn't do that.

Oh, and really, I want more RAM. My freaking graphics card has 128MB. The Xenon is STILL going to have memory limitations. RAM is probably the most important spec as far as gameplay is concerned, stop skimping.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
aaaa0 said:
Does that mean I can potentially afford to run complicated (25-100 instruction) shaders on nearly every triangle and still run at near peak efficiency?
It gets better when you think about pixel shaders that you can afford.
Take a Z-Pass first to eliminate overdraw, and then consider how many ops you can do per-pixel in say, 640x480P... ;)

Gigadrive said:
If these specs are close to true, Xbox 2 is gonna get creamed in fillrate by PS3.
Well it's "doing a DC" afterall, it only makes sense spec ratio will be similar too. :p

----

Banned
What the hell is there to get excited about this system, the CPU and GPU? Big deal, Sony and Nintendo will release their systems a year later and eclipse the performance of whatever MS puts out. Where does that leave Xbox 2 owners then? With an underpowered and featureless console that requires tons of expensive add-ons (which 3rd party devs probably won't support) many of which will probably come standard in the consoles that Nintendo and Sony provide us with. To throw all your money into the CPU and GPU and strip the machine bare of anything extra and release it a year early is a huge mistake. It's certainly not the type of machine I would ever consider buying. I'm supposed to be satisfied with them replacing the 8GB HDD with two 64MB memory cards on the front of the console? What is this the original Gamecube spec sheet? This better be fake.

Pug

So what are the games like and to ---- what do you think is going to come standard on the PS3, Revoulution. HD, tivo functions? Because they wont.

Pug said:
So what are the games like and to ---- what do you think is going to come standard on the PS3, Revoulution. HD, tivo functions? Because they wont.

Don't be surprised if they get an HD involved, specifically the one they're using for the PS2. It's going to be backwards compatible with the PS2, so it only makes sense that the harddrive will work with it. Throw in that they're basically charing 50 dollars for the harddrive now (it's $100 with FF, so 50 for each), i'm sure they'll be able to bring the price down by the time the PS3 is released. So i'd say there's a good chance you'll be getting a harddrive with the PS3.

Pug

Come on Faf for all us 'normal' who have no idea what all these numbers and bit things mean does the spec of the machine look good, taking into consideration that factors such as ram etc could change. Simple answer much aprecaited!

aaaaa0

Pug said:
Come on Faf for all us 'normal' who have no idea what all these numbers and bit things mean does the spec of the machine look good, taking into consideration that factors such as ram etc could change. Simple answer much aprecaited!

Long story short, technically it looks quite good, if they ship in 2005.

That's assuming this spec isn't total BS of course. Which it might be.

Pug

Snake I'm sure that PS3 will have HD functions, but as we have seen with Xbox having the HD standard has caused MS all sorts of problems with mods besides the cost factor. I don't think Sony would be that receptive to the mod scene. I'm sure there will be a PS3 version with HD but I can't see it being in the base unit. However I think the Xbox2 will also launch with a hardrive option it will just be more expensive. I know very little about specs really I have no idea what these leaked specs mean, what I do do know if MS can market a machine with graphical capabilities that are virtually the same as the competition for a price say ($100) less than the competition and have mainstream wanted games (EA etc) they have a chance of taken a decent % of the market.

Pug said:
I'm sure that PS3 will have HD functions, but as we have seen with Xbox having the HD standard has caused MS all sorts of problems with mods besides the cost factor. I'm sure there will be a PS3 version with HD but I can't see it being the base unit.

I think Sony's basically going to take every advantage they can get over MS. If they can get the harddrive in the base unit at a cheap price without any real drawbacks, it's going to happen because it's an advantage. Launching first always puts the people launching after you in the drivers seat because they're able to make sure what they've got is going to be better than your system in everyway. That's why it's not always a good thing.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Pug said:
I know very little about specs really I have no idea what these leaked specs mean, what I do do know if MS can market a machine with graphical capabilities that are virtually the same as the competition for a price say ($100) less than the competition and have mainstream wanted games (EA etc) they have a chance of taken a decent % of the market.

aka GC

DrGAKMAN

Banned
That's something I didn't think of Solid...that's a good point. And since Sony is an electronic's giant they can get the HD in theer for cheaper since they can make it themselves.

The whole idea of a HD in the system for creating your own "mini-server" is an idea I've heard about in regard's to rumors to the "Revolution". I mean, if Nintendo doesn't have the influence/money to create a huge network (like MS with XBL) then why not sell the idea of a "mini-server" dirrectly to the owner of the system?

It'd be funny to see Sony & Nintendo purposely going for a HD (even if it means a lil' more upfront red per system sold), BC and next generation media formats (HD-DVD or BR) just to SPITE Microsoft's next X-BOX...I mean really, if Sony & Nintendo both have these things and Microsoft doesn't then the next X-BOX will look even more alientated...especially with such an early launch.

I know this basic info isn't really confirmed *cough*yet*cough*, but if everything we've been hearing recently is true then these specs really fall in line with Microsoft's plans and are quite believable...and I'd hate to say it, but...I told ya so...

element

Pug said:
I know very little about specs really I have no idea what these leaked specs mean, what I do do know if MS can market a machine with graphical capabilities that are virtually the same as the competition for a price say ($100) less than the competition and have mainstream wanted games (EA etc) they have a chance of taken a decent % of the market.
aka Genesis
corrected :)

And since Sony is an electronic's giant they can get the HD in theer for cheaper since they can make it themselves.
Sony doesn't have a HDD business. They buy them from the same companies as everyone else. Samsung, Hitachi, Segate, Maxtor, Western Digital.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Redbeard said:
Also minus the unshakeable kiddy stigma and waning third-party support.

Also minus a large chunk of their existing fanbase (and potential fanbase) due to lack of BC, HD, other features, the power edge they had this generation...not to mention recent fans who just bought an X-BOX who'll be pissed/shocked to hear that their system will be cut short 'cos MS wants to have some sort of "headstart" on the competition.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Only thing that worries me if that is real is the 6gig DVD media, the size of games exploded this gen, with big xbox games already topping 3.5gig, i dont want multidisk games.

As for the rest, its hard to say without a similar sheet for PS3 (which no doubt wont be forthcoming)

If this is real though, seems to me the message is "work with ATI, get your shit leaked"

Top Bottom