• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taboo |OT| TV miniseries starring Tom Hardy, Tuesdays on FX / Saturdays on BBC One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tovarisc

I couldn't get into this after the first episode. Does it get better?

Depends on why you didn't get into it. Pacing of the show doesn't show, it keeps its somewhat slow and methodological way of telling its narrative and building the world. Things do start to ramp up tho and the game is on so events start to unfold.

IronRinn

Going to try to watch it before bed. I'm ashamed I forgot it was on -_-

67b.jpg

EGM1966

I couldn't get into this after the first episode. Does it get better?

What do you mean by "better"? It doesn't change tone and style although obviously as the threads of narrative start to coalesce it does pick up more pace and urgency but unless it goes full ham in its closing episodes it doesn't change much: it's murky, opaque and methodical and probably plays better the more you know about that period (and like terrific actors delivering interesting performances)

I think my favorite thing about this series is there literally are no "good guys." Every character in it is repulsive.

I enjoy it for how brutal it shows life 200 years ago was. You hear people always talking about how they would like to live in simpler times blah blah but goddamn most people today would not be able to survive in that day and age. Every other scene was basically "fuck me, I am glad I didn't live back then".

The husband is growing on me, he is literally completely clueless and does the exact opposite of sensible every chance. He is mega racist George Costanza.

Voodoo sex was weird as fuck. I really can't get a handle on this show - what James is trying to do (sell gunpowder to China?), if magic is real or not, and what the British, East India Company, and America spies are trying to do. I'm always in though for a show that keeps me guessing.

jett

D-Member
This show's pretty weird, and disappointingly slow-paced. I figured they would be in America by now. I guess the show's scope is much more limited than it initially seemed.

It's well-made, but eh, I dunno.

Klocker

What do you mean by "better"? It doesn't change tone and style although obviously as the threads of narrative start to coalesce it does pick up more pace and urgency but unless it goes full ham in its closing episodes it doesn't change much: it's murky, opaque and methodical and probably plays better the more you know about that period (and like terrific actors delivering interesting performances)

Good description

I like the show a lot for all of those reasons actually

BeeDog

Decided to pick up the show today and burned through the first three episodes. I read some of the comments here beforehand and had also heard from friends that people find this show slow, but there's something with this one that managed to set its hooks with me. Love the methodical pacing, the great acting, the production values and the constant sense of dread. I can see the pacing being on the slower side, but there's no way I consider this show more "boring" than, for example, "The Americans" which is another fantastic show.

Decided to pick up the show today and burned through the first three episodes. I read some of the comments here beforehand and had also heard from friends that people find this show slow, but there's something with this one that managed to set its hooks with me. Love the methodical pacing, the great acting, the production values and the constant sense of dread. I can see the pacing being on the slower side, but there's no way I consider this show more "boring" than, for example, "The Americans" which is another fantastic show.
Same here. It's slow burn and it doesn't answer much yet, but Hardy's character, the grimy setting, and the wider intrigue between America, England, and the East India keeps the show quite compelling

I know this is going to be a werid comparison but there's something about this show that reminds me of the Hannibal tv series, the seasons two and three at least. The slow pace, the untrustworthy characters, the dark subject matter. But you keep coming back for more.

Tom Hardy's performance is what keeps this show going. He has no equal on this show, not yet at least. The supporting cast is fine but this is Tom Hardy's show from the beginning and he established that.

I really can't get a handle on this show - what James is trying to do (sell gunpowder to China?), if magic is real or not, and what the British, East India Company, and America spies are trying to do. I'm always in though for a show that keeps me guessing.
Nootka is in a crucial spot for trading.
America, England, and East India all want it so they can trade with the Chinese.
James has the same goals, and wants to trade gunpower for pelts from China. Thus the whole thing about wanting a monopoly

BeeDog

Gotta say, Tom Hollander as the pervy chemist is a damn good addition to the cast. Always found that actor intriguing.

The last two episodes were great, as usual. But it's time to show some of the cards now with only three episodes left.

If i hated Locke, would i like this? What other shows is it being compared to?

Possibly. I thought Locke was very dull. A man on a phone in a car talking about cement.

This has a lot more going for it. I wouldn't say it's particularly good, but it has it's merits (sets, costumes, music, Jonathan Pryce). Tom Hardy mumbles, whispers and stares his way though it as expected.

sammex

I heard an interview with the creator/showrunner this morning on the radio in the UK and he said that he wants the series to run for a total of 3 seasons. I think he's mentioned a second before but apparently the whole thing is planned for 3.

EGM1966

Only person I don't like is the sister.
I think they did overextend her role being to look wide eyed surprised: one more of few narrative flaws thus far. She should be more pivotal really. That said seems they're going somewhere with her character finally even if the path seems obvious as teased.

jett

D-Member
Episode 5

So the kid is James and his sister's s son huh. I guess that's the real "taboo." Not sure I get titling the show that to be honest, since this stuff seems to be way off on a secondary if not a tertiary plane.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Damn, I don't even know why anyone would consider betraying him. Dude is crazy.

IronRinn

Good episode but everything with the sister continues to be pretty gross. If the only point of that character is to be assaulted in various ways that's gonna be really shitty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom