• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Techradar's take on PS5 UI

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Is the card system the first thing you see when you click on the Playstation button?

Is the card system the first thing you see when you click on the Playstation button?
No, its when you press the PS button mid game. The home screen is separate and was shown later in the demo. In think Sony made a mistake starting the demo from a rest state, they should have done a cold boot. Moreover, there was discrepancy in what the guy was saying and what was on the screen. This was when he was talking about 'activites' cards but the cards actually read 'levels'. I also felt that there was inconsistency in card placement and chronology.

Ar¢tos

Isn't the cards up to devs to implement?
Why complain about it individually instead of complaining on a per game bases?
We know Sackboy has a lot, but that is Sumo Digital fault, not Sony. Other devs might take a more minimalistic approach.
Also, we don't know yet how customizable the card system is, there might be an option to turn it completely off, since Sony says the main thing of the ps5 is customization.

AetherMage

A "deal breaker" when you have already bought it?
It'll prevent me from using the in-game UI for sure. If it's bad enough I'll sell the machine or light it on fire. There's enough media out today to keep me entertained until the end of time if it comes to it.

cormack12

Gold Member
Think this is reaching a bit, you don't have to engage with the cards at all. Scroll to your game and hit 'X'

j8uZnA.jpg

It will scroll down one page where you can just hit play (above screenshot), or you can go down another level and interact with the cards

XGEgTD.jpg

Some cases those cards will be good shortcuts like in RDR:O, they can just be presented from the OS rather than booting up the game, like this

99651546.jpg

But not every game is going to incoporate all these things. Its best to think of Sackboy/Astrobot as a tech demo for every feature in the controller and UI

Fuz

Banned
It'll prevent me from using the in-game UI for sure. If it's bad enough I'll sell the machine or light it on fire. There's enough media out today to keep me entertained until the end of time if it comes to it.
And they'll still have your money and will keep designing those UIs.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
If you don’t like it then don’t use it?
How do you not use it? He seems to give the indication that you cannot ignore it when you are in a game:
Some players already dislike Achievements and Trophies for creating needless arbitrary tasks and, while I don’t necessarily share the same opinion – mostly because they’re entirely optional – Achievements and Trophies are still fairly unobtrusive and you can even turn off notifications. From the glimpse of the Activity Cards in Sackboy, you’ll be encouraged to play, try and do more things than ever every time you hit the PlayStation home button, and it’s a little exhausting to look at.

AetherMage

And they'll still have your money and will keep designing those UIs.
Maybe, I haven't given them a penny yet and haven't secured a preorder. In all likelihood I'll have hands on with the UI before buying my own machine. Either way, I'm not intending to spend my leisure time being annoyed.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
What's stopping you from ignoring it? Just because its there doesn't mean you need to interact with it

I fail to understand why that's so hard
That's like saying just ignore ads on the main screen, just because it's there doesn't mean you need to interact with it.

It's there, so you see it, you automatically read it, because that's how our brains work. And apparently for this person, it's too much.

That's like saying just ignore ads on the main screen, just because it's there doesn't mean you need to interact with it.

It's there, so you see it, you automatically read it, because that's how our brains work. And apparently for this person, it's too much.

If they were contantly in your face like ads you'd have a point

Just press down on the d-pad and problem solved

peetfeet

I reserve judgement on ‘cards’ until I see how they’re used, but on first glance they look a bit obtrusive (the level related ones at least) and I could see me wanting them either gone or pushed to the far end. So cards to jump into friends games for example, would be first on the bar and I wouldn’t have to scroll past a load of irrelevant stuff to get there.

i´m pretty basic in those terms and probably won´t ever mess around with the UI apart from booting up the game, ejecting the disc and shutting down the console. And the occasional visit into the settings menu for network, language, systemstorage. It was this way since the days an UI became a thing (dreamcast/ps2 if i remember correctly) and i don´t see why it should chang.

Last edited:
I don’t mind cards, but agree with the view that developers will underutilize the feature. Most notably, GameHelp seems contradictory and the market already provides a reasonably simple alternative in the form of user-generated content.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
How much do you sepnd in UI, bootup console, pres A/X and game, what more do you most likely need? In Game UI is what matters and I am not sure I saw that how it's going to be on PS5, on Xbox is for my linking, however most likely because I use it normally.

Ar¢tos

How much do you sepnd in UI, bootup console, pres A/X and game, what more do you most likely need? In Game UI is what matters and I am not sure I saw that how it's going to be on PS5, on Xbox is for my linking, however most likely because I use it normally.
Thousands and thousands of users will spend hours in the OS trying figure out how to unlock the playable Doom easter egg.

MastaKiiLA

Slow news day. All games are busywork, especially collectathons. Trophies are the definition of busywork. It's all superflous stuff that you choose to engage in at your own discretion.

BlvckFox

Gold Member
It doesn’t appear to be mentioned but I sure hope there is a significant amount of customization with the cards. Would definitely need to be getting most of those the fuck outta here

How do you not use it? He seems to give the indication that you cannot ignore it when you are in a game:
Well you can, by not pressing the PlayStation button every few minutes.

I mean how often does one hit the PlayStation button in your average gaming session? I would imagine its not very frequent, because one would hope that you're actually playing the game.

Also, we don't even know if there is or is not a way to disable the feature anyway. If you can disable it through the menus, in the same way you can disable trophies then its a moot point.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Well you can, by not pressing the PlayStation button every few minutes.

I mean how often does one hit the PlayStation button in your average gaming session? I would imagine its not very frequent, because one would hope that you're actually playing the game.

Also, we don't even know if there is or is not a way to disable the feature anyway. If you can disable it through the menus, in the same way you can disable trophies then its a moot point.
I barely use it when gaming (the xbox button that is), only if I want to switch games. So I agree, that you wouldn't press it that much, but maybe it's different in his case.

Nymphae

Banned
It all seems unnecessarily convoluted to me. Booting into game modes doesn't feel like something that requires a whole new UI system (I can envision doing this easily from the XMB of a PS4) and I don't really care about any of the other things cards are said to do.

Exoil

I'm sure it will feel convoluted at first, then you get used to it and know how to navigate around it. If the cards will be widely implemented at least I won't have to go and help the kids every time they get stuck to that's a plus I guess.

GreyHand23

Is this really an article about a video? This is the definition of clickbait. He can simply wait and try it for himself. Most likely you can turn them off or customize which ones are shown if it bother him that much.

Fuz

Banned
Maybe, I haven't given them a penny yet and haven't secured a preorder. In all likelihood I'll have hands on with the UI before buying my own machine. Either way, I'm not intending to spend my leisure time being annoyed.
I'm not talking about "you", anyway. I'm just tired of this trend of passively accepting any shit to quell the marketing-induced addiction instead of voting with your wallet.

Last edited:

MHubert

As much as I anticipate the ps5 and like the look of the UI, I simply have to agree with this.

The card system looks to be obtrusive and shoves the most aggravating game feature in my face every time I hit the home button: namely game progress, and to that extent, other 'spoilers'. Whenever I play a game that shows me my progress I have to look away or actively do something that makes me not see it. It kills the magic of surprise, immersion and discovery.

Maybe it's because I'm old and never understood the joy of sisyphos dopamine hacks such as filling out the checlists and to-do-lists that seems to be popular in modern games, but saying that most devs probably won't utilize those features anyway is a bleak relief.

Last edited:
Top Bottom