• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 |OT| How I killed your mother

What did it mimic besides having 2 pairs of characters?

Both Tag1 and Tag2 were great because they evolved characters adding the best or most useful moves ever.

Jin's b+4 steel pedal? Made in Tag1. Now in T7 half of the cast is using this move.

Kaz without df+2 is not Kaz. Made for Tag1.

1/3 if the moveset Asuka is using now was created for Jun in Tag1.

Does anyone imagine Paul now without ws 3,2 or qcb+4? I don't.

Paul's df+1 B into sway. His most used tool? Tag1.

Lee's running 3,4. Tag2.

Lee's hitman stance. Tag1.

Ect.

Moveset additions for Tag1 and Tag2 were brilliant. With additions so fundamental they are impossible to remove now without not ruining the characters.

Kaz and Jun are the primary reason I even bothered with Tag 1. Kaz has had ws+2 since Tekken 2...I know it's not exactly the same as d/f+2. Asuka is a palette swap of Jun. I imagine Namco could do something like that to keep Kazumi in Tekken 8.

Not denying the influence of Tag. I just dislike the concept.

As far as you want.

'knowing the correct punishes' and 'knowing frame data' are not the same thing. The numbers are just an easy way to talk about that stuff, but you can find it all out by yourself by trial and error too if you -really hate- spreadsheets for some reason.

All that said, Tekken is a game in which knowledge is important. If you can't deal with certain things (and the correct way to deal with a lot of things is to punish them severely, yes), the opponent will surely abuse this fact until you're ready to tear your hair out.

So if a certain move or string is giving you trouble, remember what it is, then go into practice mode and try to find the solution to it (Ask someone if you can't find anything by yourself). Frame data is just information that can streamline that process a little bit for you, it doesn't change what you'll have to do to improve.

I wonder how far in rank a Leo can get by spamming his sweep....

It's an unseeable knockdown low with some tracking and alright range, you're -supposed- to be using it.

Don't think actual spamming is a good idea though. If it gets blocked it's your own fault~

I played against a Leo once who did nothing but that move for an entire round, and beat me soundly. If it's unseeable, the only way is getting blocked is if your opponent guesses or they just stay crouching. If they stay crouching, you can just punish that. But if they guess correctly, that's not going to stop you from using it again....

I played against a Leo once who did nothing but that move for an entire round, and beat me soundly. If it's unseeable, the only way is getting blocked is if your opponent guesses or they just stay crouching. If they stay crouching, you can just punish that. But if they guess correctly, that's not going to stop you from using it again....

You could try locking your opponent down or space yourself out enough for it to whiff

You could try locking your opponent down or space yourself out enough for it to whiff

When I played against him, I was Ling. Not really a lockdown character. And spacing...is a struggle. Leo players like to get in your face and do those mixup chains. Creating space is difficult, especially when Ling also has to be close to do damage.

Speaking of a long-range character, I have not seen a Gigas in like two months!

The no-mixup mixup is the best.

"He wouldn't do it a seventh time, right? Right?!"

IF IT WORKED SIX TIMES IT'S GONNA WORK A SEVENTH

XD.

I was like, "I have to be able to block this on reaction at some point."

Nope.

Maybe we should have a thread where we could exchange psn/xbox/steam names and region to find people to play more easily?

We already have a username thread on the discord (which I would like to encourage more people to join btw), and I don't think the community for Tekken on GAF is large enough to warrant it's own thread. Not gonna stop you if you wanna do it though!

This is one of my favourite things to do with Lars.

*He just did d/b+4 like six times in a row SURELY HE'S NOT GONNA DO IT A SEVENTH TIME?*

*Does it a seventh time and gets a CH*

Maybe we should have a thread where we could exchange psn/xbox/steam names and region to find people to play more easily?

And i checked the google spreadsheet and we got almost 35 people on it. Looking good.

If you haven't added your info yet, quote this post to see the link so you can add your PSN, steam id, gamertag for other gaffers to match up with ya.

Maybe the link can be added onto the OT so I can stop reposting it?

GrayFoxPL

I don't have access to discord outside PC in the evening. I'll check CSX posts later, I'm on PS4.

Update 1.08 is live.

Edit: WOW! This is great!

I only had 1 connection lost. Everyone else connected and I don't fight same dudes over and over.

Rematches load faster but it depends on a stage. Arctic reloads in seconds but Dragons Nest close to what it was.

The connection status now looks little different and shows players country. No player names.

maomaoIYP

I don't have access to discord outside PC in the evening. I'll check CSX posts later, I'm on PS4.

Update 1.08 is live.

Edit: WOW! This is great!

I only had 1 connection lost. Everyone else connected and I don't fight same dudes over and over.

Rematches load faster but it depends on a stage. Arctic reloads in seconds but Dragons Nest close to what it was.

The connection status now looks little different and shows players country. No player names.
Player's country or player's region? It was never that meaningful because on PS4 it shows whatever region your account was set up to be. I play on a US account but I live in Asia. It show up as US when I get matches previously.

Do you consider the character you play with the most to be your main, or the character that you feel you are best with your main?

Because I've doubled the playtime of all other characters combined on my Ling because she is my favorite, but I feel my Asuka is stronger.

GrayFoxPL

I think it's just the language you have set, I've always showed up as EN.

Oh, yeah, might be.

Seems like stages reload faster the better the sync is and maybe custom costumes. With one dude same stage reloaded much faster than the other guy.

This patch is great!

Spuck-uk

Banned
Kaz and Jun are the primary reason I even bothered with Tag 1. Kaz has had ws+2 since Tekken 2...I know it's not exactly the same as d/f+2. Asuka is a palette swap of Jun. I imagine Namco could do something like that to keep Kazumi in Tekken 8.

Not denying the influence of Tag. I just dislike the concept.

I wonder how far in rank a Leo can get by spamming his sweep....

If you're going to hellsweep your way up the ranks, then either Bob (way more range) or D.Jin (full combo for some reason) would be the way to go. Leos sweep has mediocre range and is easy to backdash in neutral from range 1.

A whole bunch of panic snake-edging Yellow ranks Bryans out there too

Spuck-uk

Banned
Do you consider the character you play with the most to be your main, or the character that you feel you are best with your main?

Because I've doubled the playtime of all other characters combined on my Ling because she is my favorite, but I feel my Asuka is stronger.

Your main is whoever you would go to instinctively at character select.

GrayFoxPL

Unlisted patch change:

Promotions and demotions don't show up until fight starts, ranks don't glow during loading.

Unless that's a bug, lol.

GrayFoxPL

I noticed this this morning with my struggle Kazuya.

Funny, I struggled with my Kazuya today too. I was Usurper and got demoted to hell.

I try not to cry.

Too hard...

3qJVetl.gif

Wow I play Josie for 2 days, go back to Asuka, and all my brain is scrambled with the wrong combos. Doing f+3 after a launcher, it's a mess. How do people play multiple characters in fighting games.

Wow I play Josie for 2 days, go back to Asuka, and all my brain is scrambled with the wrong combos. Doing f+3 after a launcher, it's a mess. How do people play multiple characters in fighting games.
In my experience at least, you can't learn two characters side by side.

Stick with one character until your muscle memory is always on point. Then learn another character where it'll be a tough transition at the beginning but then you'll get used to it. Then you can switch forth at will because your brain will have stored two "sets" of muscle memories and very rarely do I ever have trouble with them intermixing.

Try playing one 3D game then playing another 3D game afterwards (or 2D after a 2D) that can trip you up.

Yeah I switched to Josie because I felt like my Asuka had kind of reached a plateau and my muscle memory was pretty on point but switching back after playing only Josie for a bit still messed with me. I adjusted after my first few matches but it was real ugly at the start. I think I'll probably stick with Josie for a while, I like playing her a lot. Even though I feel like Asuka is generally way easier to play. I have a lot more trouble opening people up as Josie.

GrayFoxPL

I noticed something about Leo's bullshit ws4,1+2. When I tried blocking normally by holding back the 10 frame jab punish almost never hit because it seems that if you move even 2 pixels back during blocking, the jabs whiff.

But If I used neutral block on both hits the jab punish connected almost every time.

Hope this shit will be -12 someday. :p

Where is that spreadsheet?

Funny, I struggled with my Kazuya today too. I was Usurper and got demoted to hell.

I try not to cry.

Too hard...

3qJVetl.gif

Na, my Kaz is Joke tier. The highest I've ever gotten with him is Fighter. I'm so bad with him, and there's like 0 information out there except DORYA, but he's my "legacy" character.

Just been playing for a long time. I actually have not picked up Bryan yet because there's like 100000 of them already, but he used to be my #2.

I've never played Raven so I'm putting a LOT of time into her. I just now got to the point where I can switch into LAB and 3+4 in the middle of a juggle. That timing is a bit on the tricky side.

I noticed something about Leo's bullshit ws4,1+2. When I tried blocking normally by holding back the 10 frame jab punish almost never hit because it seems that if you move even 2 pixels back during blocking, the jabs whiff.

But If I used neutral block on both hits the jab punish connected almost every time.

Hope this shit will be -12 someday. :p

Where is that spreadsheet?

Quote CSX's post and you'll find a google doc link.

Marvel

could never
I haven't played this in a while, the Tekken World Tour got me hyped to do so though. Might learn Brian, looks fun but I am not super great at Tekken being a newcomer.

Dragunov was my guy but really fancy someone new.

Got my new pad so I am ready to rock tomorrow.

GrayFoxPL

Quote CSX's post and you'll find a google doc link.

Thanks!

For those sending me invites on PSN, sorry. I'm currently doing the "Set turbo mode to X button with Katarina in Treasure Mode" trick to unlock everything without having to play lol. I'm still available on PC though.

And i checked the google spreadsheet and we got almost 35 people on it. Looking good.

If you haven't added your info yet, quote this post to see the link so you can add your PSN, steam id, gamertag for other gaffers to match up with ya.

Maybe the link can be added onto the OT so I can stop reposting it?

Added myself.

This should be more visible to everyone. I'm guessing most ppl will miss it entirely.

fatalexe

Stuck at Brawler with Josie for like 2 months and right after I got a new PC with monitor, 2 weeks and I'm now Vindicator ranked. Wow. Hitting those d3,4 after a ws2,1 easily now whereas I couldn't do it to save my life on my old laptop. Guess it was input lag screwing me up.

I still have no idea how to fight vs Capo and Lings. Can someone give me some tips on what moves I should use vs them when they are in relax stance and crouching stance?

I tried practice mode and I still don't know what to do. To punish Eddy's BS low sweep I have to crouch cancel into df2 and that's really hard to do in a real match. WS1, WS3, hopkick all whiffs and WS2,1 only manage to land the second hit which means super low damage.

maomaoIYP

Stuck at Brawler with Josie for like 2 months and right after I got a new PC with monitor, 2 weeks and I'm now Vindicator ranked. Wow. Hitting those d3,4 after a ws2,1 easily now whereas I couldn't do it to save my life on my old laptop. Guess it was input lag screwing me up.

I still have no idea how to fight vs Capo and Lings. Can someone give me some tips on what moves I should use vs them when they are in relax stance and crouching stance?

I tried practice mode and I still don't know what to do. To punish Eddy's BS low sweep I have to crouch cancel into df2 and that's really hard to do in a real match. WS1, WS3, hopkick all whiffs and WS2,1 only manage to land the second hit which means super low damage.

You should be able to kick them out of the stance with d+3+4.

Edit: just remembered, Josie's d/f+4 hits AOP and RLX

Got from Expert to Brawler with Josie deathmatching the same guy, a Grand Master Jin with 0 wins. What rank do you have to reach to start at GM? Orange?

Probably gonna get knocked out of green instantly when I fight someone who knows their character again.

fatalexe

Got from Expert to Brawler with Josie deathmatching the same guy, a Grand Master Jin with 0 wins. What rank do you have to reach to start at GM? Orange?

Probably gonna get knocked out of green instantly when I fight someone who knows their character again.

Have to reach Warrior rank

XD that is beyond at Deathmatch. That's getting boosted.

Ask someone else already said, Warrior rank put everybody at GM.

Top Bottom