• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 8 |OT| Don’t H8 When Fist Meets Fate

ManaByte

I think this is the only game I can think of where on ps5 I’ve had to download it, and then it has to install itself.

Download took 3 minutes, and now it’s been over 20 while I can only do me vs a cpu with a tiny roster as it installs.

Why? I find this to be a terrible first time user experience.

It's not installing, it's still downloading. You didn't download 80GB in 3 minutes.

Luipadre

Tried online first time. Only won like 5 rounds in 1 hour, but im new to tekken and fighting games too. Game is so fun even if im getting my ass kicked. Sick visuals and banger music. Only had 1 laggy match againts a wifi player, rest was great. I dunno how rank mm works, but nobody is on the level of me, aka newb :D

Tried online first time. Only won like 5 rounds in 1 hour, but im new to tekken and fighting games too. Game is so fun even if im getting my ass kicked. Sick visuals and banger music. Only had 1 laggy match againts a wifi player, rest was great. I dunno how rank mm works, but nobody is on the level of me, aka newb :D
3 words for u practice practice practice and u will be great in no time

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Im trying, but my brain just stops working when i see the combo buttons. Atleast im getting decent at blocking
Ways to gradually be better:

Go to training mode and pull up your characters full move list. Try each one.

From this memorize your poke combo string which is usually fast and something like 1,1 or 2,1 or 1,2. AKA square button is 1, triangle is 2, X is 3, and circle is 4.

Then memorize which string is a launcher. Often it’s up+forward and 4, or 3. Victor for example is up forward and 2.

Now learn a solid hitting string while they are juggled, and end it on a cork screw. In the move list it has a red symbol with a twister icon almost. Then you find a finisher which is usually the heaviest hitting button like forward forward and 4.

Now you know what to look for in each character at a fundamental level. “This is their poke, this is their launcher, and this is an easy combo to do”

The easy mode button with L1 actually lets you see those combos and I believe they are damage scaled to do less and the first page of moves that isn’t the all list, shows you basic combos to learn. Aim for 56+ damage before hitting a wall. When you get really good and start using heat, walls, etc then go past 60-80 depending on resources used.

Hope that helps.

Ah ok so the blizzard download style then. Wish it didn’t call it installing lol.
It’s the standard “quick play” we’ve always had on PlayStation. Every game has a partial amount of the download required and then you can launch and play while you wait for the rest to download or copy from disc. It’s the same whether you have disc or digital.

Since you can only download ghosts from your friends list, and you can only add people to your friends list by being in the same room together (why even have codes/IDs...), I made a little player match room.
I believe you should be able to come in, open the profile and send me an invite (or anyone else who's in it).
I'll keep it running for a bit AFK, the name is 'tgaf' and the pass is 6190

vXhAhID.jpg

@@

The Stig

I've been a fan since the first game (though im officially not good at it) but tekken 7 really left me cold.

story mode was pants and while I liked tekken bowl it was too expensive for what it was.

the hype around this one and the fact that tekken ball is back (woo!) and tekken force is coming (my fave mode, honestly) made me buy a key.

I just built a new PC so this is gonna look pretty

any tips?

Last edited:

Edmund

I've been a fan since the first game (though im officially not good at it) but tekken 7 really left me cold.

story mode was pants and while I liked tekken bowl it was too expensive for what it was.

the hype around this one and the fact that tekken ball is back (woo!) and tekken force is coming (my fave mode, honestly) made me buy a key.

I just built a new PC so this is gonna look pretty

any tips?

Check out the following YouTube channels for guides.
Themainmanswe
Blasted Salami
Rooflemonger
Applay

Last edited:

Valt7786

What determines whether someone is top tier in tekken? Ive been a SF boy since the early days but new to this, or is it just similar to what makes a top tier in SF?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Holy shit at the basement virgins in Ranked as Devin Jin using Special controls.
How do you disable this? It's annoying as fuck.
I gone into ranked and even though I've already switched that shit off it's been set to on and I don't like it and I can't see where to disable it.

Edmund

How do you disable this? It's annoying as fuck.
I gone into ranked and even though I've already switched that shit off it's been set to on and I don't like it and I can't see where to disable it.

Map another move to the special controls button.

That's what I did.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TGO

stn

What determines whether someone is top tier in tekken? Ive been a SF boy since the early days but new to this, or is it just similar to what makes a top tier in SF?
Good movement (ex. fast backdash with good range), good pokes, good punish situations based on negative frames, wall carry, damage, etc...

Whats everybody’s gamer tag? We need to get a GAF player match going.
PSN: Dai__Kaiju (with two underscores)
Your tag doesn't matter, since the game doesn't use a 2nd account for matchmaking, you can only invite people on your own platform that way.
The only way to add cross play people is to either play against them or lobby up.

Crayon

I want to pick azucena just because that fucking running man she does on the select screen. It almost makes me want to get up off the couch and try moving around.

TGO

left shoulder button on the controller disables/enables it.
My Shoulder Buttons are assigned like this
L1 - LP/LK
R1 - RP/RK
L2 - LP/RP
R2 - LK/RK
how can I disable it if I don't have the button 😬

SegaManAU

Gold Member
Game is amazing.

I've been playing Tekken since the first game was released at arcades. Over the last two days, I've smashed out the story mode, and all of the arcade quests and had heaps of fun online. The game looks stunning and plays well. I've got a few more achievements to chase down. This game is right up there as one of the best Tekken games!

//DEVIL//

Man.. I always had the impression I am good at tekken... play with friends most of the time I win..... in general good vibe.... i went online.... i am 3 for 2 and i am shitting bricks going to the next fight. shit its not easy online lol.

I never thought I am going to have so much fun. but i stopped playing Cod completely for this... next month ill spent most of my time with Tekken and Final fantasy 7 remake part 2.... so far 2024 is a blast when it comes to gaming.

Last edited:

Crayon

Man.. I always had the impression I am good at tekken... play with friends most of the time I win..... in general good vibe.... i went online.... i am 3 for 2 and i am shitting bricks going to the next fight. shit its not easy online lol.

I never thought I am going to have so much fun. but i stopped playing Cod completely for this... next month ill spent most of my time with Tekken and Final fantasy 7 remake part 2.... so far 2024 is a blast when it comes to gaming.

People who are washing you on the first ranks probably have just a little more playtime and aren't really way better than you. They've just picked up some muscle memory so you will too.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
People who are washing you on the first ranks probably have just a little more playtime and aren't really way better than you. They've just picked up some muscle memory so you will too.
Unless you’re me who ran into a Bryan doing full ass 70+ combos without issues off lows, overhead axe kick, and CH. Boy was cooking me…

Crayon

Unless you’re me who ran into a Bryan doing full ass 70+ combos without issues off lows, overhead axe kick, and CH. Boy was cooking me…

Well that's true there are vets just putting the game in now and they'll be briefly passing through the low ranks. I'm getting those like 1-5 I think.

TGO

if you can't assign it to a different button, then you probably don't.
But the game remembers your choice, so if you turn it off once it should stay off.
It's disabled during Online battles, but it was on during the evaluation match at the beginning.
Kinda stupid

Raonak

Banned
What a fantastic story mode, probably the best Tekken story mode. I love how seemlessly the battles flow onto each other ("Fight!") The story does a good job at providing the context of the battles and I liked how every character was featured. As a long time Tekken fan, it was so satisfying to see the payoff.

I also loved the tournament structure and how they allowed us to select the character we want to fight as. And the Tekken force style gameplay was a cool unexpected twist!

Anyway, now onto the rest of the game.

SkylineRKR

Its up there with the very best Tekken games but I am not entirely sold on the lineup since they took my mains away. This always happens with a new game though. But seeing how good it already is at launch makes me wonder how good it will be a year down the line. T7 improved by a ton over the years in everything except for resolution lol.

The story is whatever, but KING, KING, KING! is probably my number one moment in any Tekken story. I did like the tournament, and the fact Lenne Hardt was used here as well so she IS in the game. Force mode left me wanting for more but I am secretly a fan of this always somewhat clunky mode. I loved it in T3, T4 and I was addicted to T6 Scenario Campaign.

Celcius

°Temp. member
TTT2 was my all time fav Tekken game but I think this has finally surpassed it.

Also, the heat from my PC case while playing this game is unreal lol. At least I'm not cold while playing.

Last edited:

EekTheKat

Pretty good so far, but I still hate how Tekken highlights my inability to press a button with my right hand while holding a direction with my left hand within one frame.

Just frames have been the bane of my days playing fighting games, and it hasn't gotten any better since I've gotten older.

so without looking at any guides, I'm currently stuck at 72 damage (73 in rage) with azucena), rage combo brings that up to 83, but that should be a good baseline for juggle combos atm

Top Bottom