• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 8 |OT| Don’t H8 When Fist Meets Fate

Needlecrash

Funny you posted this. Since Tekken 2, I've been a big Baek Doo San player, which eventually turned into Hwoarang. Due to my martial arts background, he's been a perfect shoe in for me over the years. Now, I switch between Kazuya and Hwoarang due to what I train in now haha.

King is forever the champ! Anyone complaining about T8's customization options are out of their mind. I loved SF6 but beyond basic colour swaps and an alt outfit (that requires grinding through World Tour which was fine by me, I loved that mode), everything else is locked behind a paywall. I'm talking strictly about the main character roster, not Avatar Battles where there is freedom to do what you want. In T8 every character comes with 4 preset looks and the customization options are endless, the game really needs a proper Photo Mode 📸

5L0N43B.jpg

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
The Sound Track and "Music Arrangement" option that lets you set different music tracks for different parts of the game is bat shit awesome.

I haven't played Tekken since Tag 2 missed some great music tracks apparently. 6, 7, and 8 all have bangers.

Great feature, thanks Harada!

nikos

Arcade Quest is the place to learn. I haven’t played Tekken since Tekken 2. I went with the old boy Law and arcade quest is bringing me up to speed. This is how a tutorial should be done. Gradually introduce new moves and concepts through regular battles. It reveals how weak the practice-mode style of tutorial in SF6 truly is.

Yeah, it's done really well. That's where I started. Then I decided to change character and realized I had to increase my rank all over again, so I've been doing regular VS CPU to see who feels good to me.

Arachnid

I've beat the story mode and the arcade quest (this is a FANTASTIC tutorial for new players; legit had to figure all this out myself in previous games) modes so far. Also a few character stories. This may already be my favorite Tekken, and it's missing three of my my top 4 mains (thank fuk Eddie comes back in spring). Victor is my new main with Dragunov. Dude is a monster and fun as hell to play as.
It's a great game and an outstanding package, but the framerate hampers it imo. This is the choppiest Tekken outside of the GBA port. Heat system is neat but not a gamechanger.

SF6 is still the best current fighting game out there.
Idk man. Heat seams a bit cracked. People can't afford to turtle anymore when it's on. The chip damage is insane and I can make it last the entire round sometimes. It definitely encourages pressure and aggressiveness. Defensive players are basically screwed.

I've never actually gotten into SF since I'm not a fan of 2D fighters (Tekken and UFC are my jams). I've played MK a solid amount, though it's never been my bag. This is definitely better than the MK games I've played (though I haven't played the most recent).

Neff

Idk man. Heat seams a bit cracked. People can't afford to turtle anymore when it's on.

Yeah I've seen the light. I was looking at it from the perspective of a simple buff but it's more versatile and dominating than that. Having seen it used by competent players it's a scary thing. Like you say it completely changes the flow of the game. I also wasn't aware it enhances characters' specific perks, making their gameplay style even more unique.

SkylineRKR

The Sound Track and "Music Arrangement" option that lets you set different music tracks for different parts of the game is bat shit awesome.

I haven't played Tekken since Tag 2 missed some great music tracks apparently. 6, 7, and 8 all have bangers.

Great feature, thanks Harada!
It was in T7 too though the volume of the classic pre-HD Tekken songs was very low. Now they all seem to sound good.

Tekken 6 might have the best soundtrack in Tekken period. I have TTT1's character select but I might change to Dist thins out from T6 because its that fucking good.

Klosshufvud

Finished up Story mode. The presentation was excellent but I thought the story itself was mediocre at best.
It was nonsensical, shallow, redundant and retconning shounen battle anime IMO. Makes me sad the more budget and time they pour in the story, the worse it gets. Luckily the character stories are full of heart and character.

SCB3

I've beat the story mode and the arcade quest (this is a FANTASTIC tutorial for new players; legit had to figure all this out myself in previous games)
Thats good to hear, I really need a refresher on Tekken, i used to be really good at it, but my god am I not anymore

NT80

Since you can only download ghosts from your friends list, and you can only add people to your friends list by being in the same room together (why even have codes/IDs...), I made a little player match room.
I believe you should be able to come in, open the profile and send me an invite (or anyone else who's in it).
I'll keep it running for a bit AFK, the name is 'tgaf' and the pass is 6190
You can download ghosts from the leaderboard and from player avatars in the lounge.

Klosshufvud

If you feel like you're being pressured too hard by button mashers, use that Heat Activation. It instantly throws them off their game. This is IMO the best way to use Heat for lower ranked players. This is especially useful against Hwoarang, Steve and Paul. It's a good way to give some much needed breathing space and break their automated combo structure. Sloppy Heat activation against King though seems to be a death sentence. So that's the other end of it. Another thing is don't rely too much on Rage Arts. IMO lots of new players are very predictable precisely because they jump to the panic button. I don't blame them, that's what the game sadly teaches you but it's also a death sentence. And Rage Art wins are rarely satisfying anyways IMO.

SCB3

ok, I may have found a new main in King, basically double perfecting the Arcade Quest players with him there, so many good options, still cannot deal with being Juggled so may have to accept that

Gonna go play through the rest of the story now I've practiced, I remember being hard stuck on Akuma on 7's story for awhile

So that's the other end of it. Another thing is don't rely too much on Rage Arts. IMO lots of new players are very predictable precisely because they jump to the panic button. I don't blame them, that's what the game sadly teaches you but it's also a death sentence. And Rage Art wins are rarely satisfying anyways IMO.
This is something I had to beat out of my friends in T7, they don't understand the concept of safe/unsafe and just throw it, and other super mechanics in other games, out whenever it's available; this translated really well in my AI Ghost though, it never throws out random rages, only in combos or hard punishes.

Klosshufvud

This is something I had to beat out of my friends in T7, they don't understand the concept of safe/unsafe and just throw it, and other super mechanics in other games, out whenever it's available; this translated really well in my AI Ghost though, it never throws out random rages, only in combos or hard punishes.
Yup. whenever a beginner gets his Rage Art available, I know his loss is imminent because he's going to panic hit that button. It's really only viable if your opponent has a massive health lead AND you also have enough health to absorb a hit without KO'ing. Even then, it's usually better just opting for an easy launcher and learning a simple ass air juggle than taking the bet. This is why I don't like these comeback mechanics, they just condition new players into bad habits of hail marys.

Whereas Heat on the other hand is a really strategic tool that can be employed both offensively and defensively. I think it's really cleverly made and every player can use it to their preference. I like to keep it in reserve so whenever the momentum shifts, I can use the Heat to "reset" and get a fresh start. It's not without risk but still preferable to many other tools.

SkylineRKR

I could do without RA. But it works both ways. Usually, players will throw it when they enter rage and are about to lose. And if you anticipate it, all you need to do is be neutral and punish it to close out. But sometimes I forget its a thing, and I go in only to eat an RA because I forget about their health bar. The problem is the super armor on them.

But you know novice players are going to use it, so you know you are going to win. Just move and bait when they enter Rage mode, don't input when they activate their RA.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I could do without RA. But it works both ways. Usually, players will throw it when they enter rage and are about to lose. And if you anticipate it, all you need to do is be neutral and punish it to close out. But sometimes I forget its a thing, and I go in only to eat an RA because I forget about their health bar. The problem is the super armor on them.

But you know novice players are going to use it, so you know you are going to win. Just move and bait when they enter Rage mode, don't input when they activate their RA.

When both players are low health rocking Rage Art, and still sitting on Heat, or just popped heat, it's a giant game of chicken. First person to even breathe incorrectly is going to be eradicated...

Klosshufvud

When both players are low health rocking Rage Art, and still sitting on Heat, or just popped heat, it's a giant game of chicken. First person to even breathe incorrectly is going to be eradicated...
It's a shame that heat activation does not cancel the Rage Art on impact IMO. Lost many rounds due to forgetting about Rage Art and activating my Heat only to see the other guy's been clicking his nuclear bomb button. I now am cautious with heat when other player has RA.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
It's a shame that heat activation does not cancel the Rage Art on impact IMO. Lost many rounds due to forgetting about Rage Art and activating my Heat only to see the other guy's been clicking his nuclear bomb button. I now am cautious with heat when other player has RA.
There are combo strings that activate Heat. I know for Reina it's a two hit string where she headbutts. I didn't test if it activates even if they block, but on hit it fires it up. No need for R1 heat button.

Klosshufvud

There are combo strings that activate Heat. I know for Reina it's a two hit string where she headbutts. I didn't test if it activates even if they block, but on hit it fires it up. No need for R1 heat button.
Yeah that's true, I usually don't use the combos that open heat on this character I'm using. Kinda glad for that because I prefer using it separately. They don't activate on block, so regarding the RA/Heat dynamic, it doesn't change much. However I think you can activate Heat without the attack animation. Not sure if that blocks the RA. Probably should.

Crayon

I like what the ra do for new players. Every round, they get to use this one move one time and it could swing the whole outcome. In the lowest levels it is just plain fun because they are going to be thrown out wildly and make surprise wins. But there will be lessons:

Lesson 1. Don't forget to use it. It's too strong to let it sit there.

Lesson 2. Make sure it hits. They may have been mashing on it a few times waking up and done it right into the air with nobody to hit.

Lesson 3. Try not to walk into the other guy's. They have one shot at this so if you can trick them into wasting it you are way ahead.

Lesson 4. Omg if one of these gets blocked, the other guy can do theirs and it's guaranteed to hit. You even get the huge time stop to prepare your fingers when you realize you blocked it.

All these lessons apply to every risky move in the game, when you think about it. I think it helps like training wheels to give the beginner this one big thing to start forming simple strategies around.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I just got home and bought the game for PS5. As I was checking out the editions I couldn't believe that the only thing that makes the ultimate edition "ultimate" is a handful of avatar costumes and skins. It's kind of disgraceful.

Lesson 4. Omg if one of these gets blocked, the other guy can do theirs and it's guaranteed to hit. You even get the huge time stop to prepare your fingers when you realize you blocked it.
Not always true though, azucena can't punish rage with rage in a mirror match, it just gets blocked and puts you negative lol.

And if you anticipate it, all you need to do is be neutral and punish it to close out.
I wouldn't recommend just being in neutral if you are in recovery though, tekken has this weird system where even if a move is supposed to be safe, it's only safe if you actively cancel out of the animation by pressing any direction or other attack; this means that some moves that are, lets say, -13 on block, might still get hit by a move that's 20 startup if you remain in neutral, but if you hold back it stops the animation the second the unsafe frames are over.

Basically if you are unsure, hold back lol.

Last edited:

EruditeHobo

If you feel like you're being pressured too hard by button mashers, use that Heat Activation. It instantly throws them off their game. This is IMO the best way to use Heat for lower ranked players. This is especially useful against Hwoarang, Steve and Paul.

Thanks for the tip, because of the mere handful of matches I played I did lose close matches to button-mash-y, non-stop-pressure Steves and Pauls.

EruditeHobo

Yeah that's true, I usually don't use the combos that open heat on this character I'm using. Kinda glad for that because I prefer using it separately. They don't activate on block, so regarding the RA/Heat dynamic, it doesn't change much. However I think you can activate Heat without the attack animation. Not sure if that blocks the RA. Probably should.

Activating heat from combos keeps more of the heat bar... the single 3+4 activation takes a chunk off. You probably already know this, but just FYI in case.

I like the idea, at least at low(er) levels, of as you were saying activation being defensive, against someone super into pressuring for instance... and then having the option of deploying heat via combos, to be more offensive and maintaining more heat.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

Argh my goddamn thumbs.

No regrets. What a great weekend.
Played 20 hours this weekend. Insanely fun game so far. The offensive system is really growing on me as I get into the flow. And I have next week off too so I'm in gaming heaven now.

Activating heat from combos keeps more of the heat bar... the single 3+4 activation takes a chunk off. You probably already know this, but just FYI in case.

I like the idea, at least at low(er) levels, of as you were saying activation being defensive, against someone super into pressuring for instance... and then having the option of deploying heat via combos, to be more offensive and maintaining more heat.
Yeah that's the flexibility I enjoy too. And just like you said, great tool to shut down oppressive Steve and Paul players. They can really get in your face and it's easy to feel lost there. Actually didn't know that combo into heat gave additional bar. Thanks.

Last edited:

Edmund

I just played it nonstop and realised that it's already 5am and I gotta turn off my ps5 and go to bed. Arrrgh.

I'm a xiaoyu main and I've been watching so many replays by Sodam and other high level Xiaoyu players and I've learnt so much just by watching.

So far every single match in rank have been smooth. Everyone's on cable which is rare lol.

When I play sf6, most people are on WiFi.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Sorry but the Online mode is fucked
They all using that Special Style mode and are just spamming it.
I've just thrown in the towel, my blocking and reversals or my 25 years experience are useless against because you don't get a chance to move with the spamming.
Game has no treasure battle?

SkylineRKR

Keep in mind you can also regain heat if you do character specific things. For King, you need to do throws for example. Against newbies spammers, use your armor breaks and your fastest moves. Against Hwoarang who likes to spam 4,4,4,4, you can crouch and WS launcher I think.

I've just thrown in the towel, my blocking and reversals or my 25 years experience are useless against because you don't get a chance to move with the spamming.

Yeah special style is very shitty if you don't want to use it. You can deliberately switch mid battle. I've played Kazuyas who switch it on and off, basically gaining EWGF whenever they want. And a guaranteed juggle that never drops, though not the most damaging one, still fairly strong.

Last edited:
Reactions: TGO

decisions

Got to Warrior with Lee. He seems like he will be a lot better than this time as they gave him these new just frames that either integrate into the heat system in normal ways and can actually let you regenerate heat if you get them while heat is activated.

How many characters can regain heat like that?

Also the story mode has so much more production value than T7, it's awesome how ridiculous it is.

Klosshufvud

Special Style seems overwhelming but then you see it's just doing the same three things over and over again. Maybe you're being too defensive? Whenever someone activates Special Style, their defense just falls apart from my experience. Get in their face with the lows, highs and mids and suddenly you'll see they switched back to traditional controls lol.

Reactions: TGO

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Special Style seems overwhelming but then you see it's just doing the same three things over and over again. Maybe you're being too defensive? Whenever someone activates Special Style, their defense just falls apart from my experience. Get in their face with the lows, highs and mids and suddenly you'll see they switched back to traditional controls lol.
It's probably because I ain't got my Boy
2PwdMGs.jpg

Asuka & Jun are still okay but the other character so far I'm just getting hammered when they got that Special shit on
Also where's my girl Lidia
RUtP5Ii.jpg

Edmund

Treasure Battles are in arcade quest mode.

Special style is useless if you understand more about the core gameplay and character move set.
Maybe try to block a move and punish after that. Most of attack moves in Tekken are punishable with a jab.

Last edited:
Not always true though, azucena can't punish rage with rage in a mirror match, it just gets blocked and puts you negative lol.
I just tested this with every character, and it's actually not true ever lol.
All rage arts are 20 startup and -15 on block, so if someone gets hit, they are pressing buttons or staying neutral.
Heat is different though, all heat activations are 16 startup (+1 block), so can't use that to punish rage either, however some heat smashes have sub 16 frame startup, so those can be used to punish rage:
Azucena 15
Dragunov 15
Jack-8 10
Jin 15
Jun 13
Kuma 13
Law 14
Leroy 15
Panda 15
Xiaoyu 15
Zafina 12

For these characters it might be a good idea to go into heat when the opponent has rage available, as you'll get an easy juicy punish on block.
King and Reina can kinda get away with it too, because even though they can't punish with it, it puts them in a state for a throw mixup.
Kazuya and Victor probably as well against people with low experience, because theirs hit low; everyone else don't bother, find your other 15 frame punish instead.

Majukun

the
"tekken force"
part of the main story was disappointing, they forgot the most important thing, make it actually fun

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
It's probably because I ain't got my Boy
2PwdMGs.jpg

Asuka & Jun are still okay but the other character so far I'm just getting hammered when they got that Special shit on
Also where's my girl Lidia
RUtP5Ii.jpg
I'm kind of bummed about no Lidia. Straight up karate in Tekken 7 was kind of refreshing.

I'm kind of bummed about no Lidia. Straight up karate in Tekken 7 was kind of refreshing.
I think she'll be back, she kinda seems to have been created to fill the gap now that jin seems to be moving away from the karate style he adopted since tekken 4

anyone who wants to add me up please do
Haven't played online yet, and it will be awhile before I do, but I def need more ghosts to fight lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom