• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 8 |OT| Don’t H8 When Fist Meets Fate

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
You can roll forward or backward, roll left or right, some characters can kick themselves forward or you can roll forward and leap at them. Learn how to block, block low, parry, parry low, or reversal. You can also kick high or kick low from being downed. There’s a Punishment tutorial in Practice mode that teaches you what moves punish on block. I see a lot of super arts thrown on wake up or during a potential KO attack animation. Which honestly takes away a lot of life. I’d recommend playing each character’s combo trials and learning how they control. That gets you a better idea of matchups. lol I remember reading that in the Tekken 3 strategy guide years ago. I’ve been picking a random character and performing their combo trials.

Great ideas, thank you i will do that!

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
When I first went online, the game offered me a placement match against the AI to calculate my starting rank. I did it and was rightfully placed as beginner. Do most people just skip this?
Well you're always going to have a few asshole smurfs, but that's the case with any online competitive games

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
When I first went online, the game offered me a placement match against the AI to calculate my starting rank. I did it and was rightfully placed as beginner. Do most people just skip this?

I don't know about most people, but i did that match too and did my best. I think what some of these shitheads are doing is going into that AI match and just standing there and letting the AI clobber them so the game thinks that they're really bad when in reality they aren't, so they are then matched up with people that are learning and squash everyone.

How very brave of them....

ReBurn

Gold Member
It's not so much less experienced players skipping it. A lot of the more skilled players cheese systems that so that they can be placed against less experienced players early on.

NT80

Well, yeah. To differentiate the games. It seems like playing PS1 tekken but with nicer visuals. Just look at Mortal Kombat. You csn easily differentiate every entry from the other, animations, character designs, etc. While put Tekken 3, Tekken 6 and Tekken 8 next to each other and they look like the same game but with different levels of visuals.
MK's animations have always looked garbage. The worst of all fighting games from the first game to the latest. Stiff as a board. Tekken's animations have always been far superior some of them have even been mo capped from real martial artists. Although some of them have been carried over from older games others have been updated and new moves have been added over time. T8 has updated various moves too like some characters generic df1 pokes or df2 launchers. Lili's back turned low poke from T7 has got dramatic new look as have a number of Hwoarang's moves among others.

NT80

It's not so much less experienced players skipping it. A lot of the more skilled players cheese systems that so that they can be placed against less experienced players early on.
The placement match system is just rubbish. You can demolish the AI it puts you against and it'll still put you at 2nd dan which is just the 3rd rank. It should be placing experienced players much higher but there's no way to start any higher. Once a good player's rank goes up and up though their other characters do get raised so they eventually get taken out of circulation of the lower ranks completely.

ReBurn

Gold Member
The placement match system is just rubbish. You can demolish the AI it puts you against and it'll still put you at 2nd dan which is just the 3rd rank. It should be placing experienced players much higher but there's no way to start any higher. Once a good player's rank goes up and up though their other characters do get raised so they eventually get taken out of circulation of the lower ranks completely.
That's why I wait a while before I join ranked. It gives them time to rotate out of the pool so normies like me arent punished with unreasonable w/l records from the jump.

makaveli60

MK's animations have always looked garbage. The worst of all fighting games from the first game to the latest. Stiff as a board. Tekken's animations have always been far superior some of them have even been mo capped from real martial artists. Although some of them have been carried over from older games others have been updated and new moves have been added over time. T8 has updated various moves too like some characters generic df1 pokes or df2 launchers. Lili's back turned low poke from T7 has got dramatic new look as have a number of Hwoarang's moves among others.
Look, I don‘t argue if MK or Tekken is better. All my problem is that all Tekken games look the same besides the slight visual upgrade between them. I could also compare it to SF. All SF games have a unique visual identity, you can put 3, 4, 5 and 6 and all look different. This is definitely not true of Tekken.

Klosshufvud

Look, I don‘t argue if MK or Tekken is better. All my problem is that all Tekken games look the same besides the slight visual upgrade between them. I could also compare it to SF. All SF games have a unique visual identity, you can put 3, 4, 5 and 6 and all look different. This is definitely not true of Tekken.
Animations are similar and probably recycled to some extent. But I don't agree on the slight visual upgrade. Went back to Tekken 7 today and man does it look rough compared to T8. And I remember people gushing over how much of an upgrade T7 was over TTT2/T6. Tekken 8 is currently the best looking fighting game and where they saved on animation, they made up in sheer brilliance of its models and lightning system. That final chapter in the story is just insane visually. My grievance is more with the particles making animations a bit incoherent and can be real messy when two characters are in the corner with Heat and Rage activated. Makes it a guess what's coming next.

SF6 looks very different from SF5 and IMO for the worse. SF6 should've been on Unreal aswell. I just don't like how SF6 looks and I know I'm not the only one feeling like this. It lacks that colorful pop that would elevate it.

NT80

But we were talking about the animation which the whole MK series has been notoriously bad at. Tekken's art style hasn't really changed in the way say another 3d fighter like Virtua Fighter did with VF4 did but there were massive upgrades from Tekken 1 to Tekken Tag 1 and this latest entry is still a lot more than a minor visual upgrade. It's far more so than MK11 to MK1. Those games barely look any different to me in art style or the quality of the graphics.

makaveli60

But we were talking about the animation which the whole MK series has been notoriously bad at. Tekken's art style hasn't really changed in the way say another 3d fighter like Virtua Fighter did with VF4 did but there were massive upgrades from Tekken 1 to Tekken Tag 1 and this latest entry is still a lot more than a minor visual upgrade. It's far more so than MK11 to MK1. Those games barely look any different to me in art style or the quality of the graphics.
But I’m not saying that MK’s animations are better or worse, I’m just saying that they are always different between instalments. While if you look at Tekken some animations are straight up from the PS1 days.

J9o5dSP.jpg

Griffon

If you don't want Tekken to look and feel like Tekken, I suggest you go play something else and stay there.

Klosshufvud

Having played 50 hours in these days, I feel a little bit burnt out. Definitely progressing a lot but there are some frustrations that bring the game down. Rage Arts still annoy me. And I think the balancing is very poor. Victor, Devil Jin, Paul and some others are just crazy damage dealers. Victor is the biggest offender because you can't even intuitively tell what he's doing. This is a pretty big sin for Tekken to commit because I've always felt that it was a series that was very intuitive regarding moves. You basically need to look up his vulnerabilities online or play him to get a sense of what you can do against him. This game is also crazy on the aggression. I meet fairly high ranked players occasionally and I notice they get by with exploiting some very dirty tricks that leave you confused. And by the time the they are exposed, the FT2 is already over and done. And some of these players have basically nonexistent defense because of how the game conditions relentless assault in low/mid ranks. This is something that will probably be tweaked with patches I am sure.

I'm taking a break just to melt all the muscle memory and knowledge from these past days. Learning Lili has been a ton of fun.

Last edited:

NT80

But I’m not saying that MK’s animations are better or worse, I’m just saying that they are always different between instalments. While if you look at Tekken some animations are straight up from the PS1 days.
Really? MK's stiff rigor mortis animations look mostly the same to me from game to game although I haven't played them very much in recent years. MK1 looks an awful lot more like MK11 overall than T8 does with T7. Of course MK as with SF went from 2d to 3d at some point in its history which would've changed everything. Tekken has far more moves than those games though and still there have been a lot of changes and new moves over time despite some carry over. T7 has a good example in the same game where you have King with a new Tombstone Pile Driver animation while Armor King has the old one.

Dr. Suchong

Finally got my copy and put it through it's paces today.
Without a doubt, the best Tekken I've played in years.
Astonishingly awesome.
Totally reignited my interest in the series again.
Sublime.

SkylineRKR

Having played 50 hours in these days, I feel a little bit burnt out. Definitely progressing a lot but there are some frustrations that bring the game down. Rage Arts still annoy me. And I think the balancing is very poor. Victor, Devil Jin, Paul and some others are just crazy damage dealers. Victor is the biggest offender because you can't even intuitively tell what he's doing. This is a pretty big sin for Tekken to commit because I've always felt that it was a series that was very intuitive regarding moves. You basically need to look up his vulnerabilities online or play him to get a sense of what you can do against him. This game is also crazy on the aggression. I meet fairly high ranked players occasionally and I notice they get by with exploiting some very dirty tricks that leave you confused. And by the time the they are exposed, the FT2 is already over and done. And some of these players have basically nonexistent defense because of how the game conditions relentless assault in low/mid ranks. This is something that will probably be tweaked with patches I am sure.

I'm taking a break just to melt all the muscle memory and knowledge from these past days. Learning Lili has been a ton of fun.

I am in the same boat, kinda. And while the netcode can be very solid I also have a fair share of laggy games (i am wired 500mb, and server in correct region).

Some characters are really erratic and play very well into what T8 is going for; relentless offense. Add the easy controls toggle on top of it and it can be rather frustrating. Generally you don't know the match up after 2 or 3 games, if they even rematch at all. I think this game relies on 50/50's more than anything before. There is essentially 2 panic buttons now too, RA and Heat smash.

A thing of note is that Tekken 8 hasn't been cooking in the arcade for a year. Its safe to say the game is in a different place next year.

Klosshufvud

I am in the same boat, kinda. And while the netcode can be very solid I also have a fair share of laggy games (i am wired 500mb, and server in correct region).

Some characters are really erratic and play very well into what T8 is going for; relentless offense. Add the easy controls toggle on top of it and it can be rather frustrating. Generally you don't know the match up after 2 or 3 games, if they even rematch at all. I think this game relies on 50/50's more than anything before. There is essentially 2 panic buttons now too, RA and Heat smash.

A thing of note is that Tekken 8 hasn't been cooking in the arcade for a year. Its safe to say the game is in a different place next year.
You're right. It's very visible that this game hadn't its arcade "beta" run of sorting things out. They will absolutely revamp this game drastically because it's currently way too stressful for certain reasons.

I just had some lobby matches and I felt like it was so much more satisfying than just fighting strangers with no means of communication. I feel like all these online fighting games miss out on making these games feel social online. It creates a sort of bad attitude where everyone is just gunning for one another without learning. Maybe I'm just spoiled by native PC games where going online often means you make virtual buddies and build a community from there. I think fighting game devs have a lot to learn in making online feel like a decent place to hang out and not just a beating ground. The arcade thing is just not working at all for what they intended. I feel like I'm going off tangent here lol but I have to say it.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I swear I’m cursed for fighting games. I always come in with a plan to main X character, try out the whole cast, and then land on maining a big boy character. Like Reina looks great, then find out how hard she is cuz I can’t do perfect EWGF to save my life, but then I try Jack 8.

The low end all my confirms are hitting for 67, normal 74+, and crazy hits or rage lead to over 100 damage.

Did 128 earlier with him, and yeah I’ll likely never land that one set up, but to brain dead dial in 70+ ? Yeah I’ll do that all day over sweating for barely 60 with the rest of the roster.

I swear I’m cursed for fighting games. I always come in with a plan to main X character, try out the whole cast, and then land on maining a big boy character. Like Reina looks great, then find out how hard she is cuz I can’t do perfect EWGF to save my life, but then I try Jack 8.

The low end all my confirms are hitting for 67, normal 74+, and crazy hits or rage lead to over 100 damage.

Did 128 earlier with him, and yeah I’ll likely never land that one set up, but to brain dead dial in 70+ ? Yeah I’ll do that all day over sweating for barely 60 with the rest of the roster.
You could probably pick up Yoshimitsu and easily exceed that damage. Also, Kuma is more versatile.

When it comes to absurd characters in Tekken I prefer Mokujin and Roger.
You probably can't play Mokujin as you can only play Jack-8 worth a damn and Roger has not been in a game since the original Tekken Tag Tournament.

Last edited:
I had an awesome time playing Tekken Ball online yesterday, but it is hard to find matches in lobbies. I am sad that there is no quick match for it and I can't do Tekken Ball Practice waiting for it. It is so much fun. I am also surprised the stage for it is not selectable during regular fights. Maybe it will be in an update as it already has its own Jukebox slots.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Patch notes are up:

Seems like there have been a couple nerfs, but azucena has been left untouched
Season 9 Thank You GIF by The Office

Patch notes are up:

Law and Kuma too!
iu

Last edited:

nbkicker

Would love to get back into tekken, but got this day one on steam and sound was none stop popping and cracking on any speaker , tried allsorts but still same yet every other game music movies etc works fine so just got a refund, and cba with ps5 as tempted to sell it as never turned it on since sf6 was released and then only for few days

SSfox

Hey nice to see you all there hehe

I have question (specifically PS5 version), does HDR being ON of OFF in main menu of console affect input lag?

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Patch notes are up:

Jack 8 no nerfs. Feels good.

Climbing with him, and feeling more confident.

I did play Yoshi in training for a few hours like others suggested. He absolutely can do big dick damage but almost 200 moves and multiple stances made my head hurt…

At that point I would rather learn like Steve Fox, but I play tekken fairly casually. I don’t want to deep dive .

Top Bottom