• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 88th Academy Awards |OT| Sixth Time's A Charm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

Reflecting after a sleep, I have two things in mind about last night:

-Public Enemy's "Fight the Power" was a terrible, ridiculous and patronizing song to play over the end credits. I cringed HARD

-Leo seemed like he was on sedatives and gave a pretty boring speech. Thank your fans, thank the internet, thank memes, shout, smile...do SOMETHING

Hmm, speak (inter)nationally about climate change or talk about shitty memes, what a dilemma.

Man, people go on about Leo, but Morricone has had to deal with DECADES worth of snubs and indignities like the one you mentioned, and he's an undisputed master of his craft. As I said earlier when he won, I felt like crying with the man because you could tell how happy he was, and especially to win for a western.

Yes. Shed a few tears, so happy he won. I still don't see how he never got nominated at the very least for Once Upon A Time in America ,not to mention the countless other things he did? *facepalm*

Maxim726X

Man, prognostigaf was right- Spotlight won movie of the year.

... Which I couldn't believe then, and I can't believe now. It was a good film, don't get me wrong, but it felt like something I could have seen as a network television special. Honestly surprised that it won, but it was a pretty weak year for movies overall.

Hmm, speak (inter)nationally about climate change or talk about shitty memes, what a dilemma.

You're oversimplifying my quote. He didn't even say anything like, "it's been a long time in the making" "thanks for all the support" "six nominations" "finally"

no jokes or really anything interesting at all, TBH. If I was never on the internet and wasn't aware of all the Leo Oscar hype going into the evening, I wouldn't think there was anything particularly special about his win based on his speech.

good. the leo oscar hype was embarrassing and just made him look like a man thirsty for an award. why would he want to bring attention to that.

strafer

Alicia Vikander is DAMN good looking.

giphy.gif

Thinking about it my favorite moment last night was Iñárritu's pissy look when Fury Road won costume design and he realized Revenant wasn't going to sweep the awards.

Addi

Not really a fan of Spotlight winning. It felt really uncinematic too me (everything is conveyed through dialogue in small rooms) and I felt I had seen this movie a hundred times before (like a longer episode of Law & Order: SVU). I might have preferred it as a documentary. It does have good performances and it's an important subject matter, but all in all a safe and boring choice.

Other than that I was pleased with most of the prices. Really happy for Morricone! Lubezki was also deserved, though I couldn't pick my favourite between him and Robert Richardson (I also want Deakins to finally win, but Sicario didn't left me in awe as some of his other movies). Sly could have won, but I think Tom Hardy was the one who should have won.

Blader

You're oversimplifying my quote. He didn't even say anything like, "it's been a long time in the making" "thanks for all the support" "six nominations" "finally"

no jokes or really anything interesting at all, TBH. If I was never on the internet and wasn't aware of all the Leo Oscar hype going into the evening, I wouldn't think there was anything particularly special about his win based on his speech.

I think if Leo got up on stage and said "Wow, this has been a long time coming, finally, after six nominations!" everyone would absolutely hate him. :lol

I don't think there is anything particularly special about internet Leo/Oscar internet jokes or Leo failing to acknowledge them either.

Not really a fan of Spotlight winning. It felt really uncinematic too me (everything is conveyed through dialogue in small rooms) and I felt I had seen this movie a hundred times before (like a longer episode of Law & Order: SVU). I might have preferred it as a documentary. It does have good performances and it's an important subject matter, but all in all a safe and boring choice.
Eh, I felt the lack for the most part of too much melodrama and the understated nature of it worked well for it. Showing the grind of investigative journalism and also highlighting the quiet, insidious culture that kept this stuff out of the public consciousness for years. I thought it did a good job at being deeply disturbing with regard to general lack of outrage about the whole thing and sort of showing brick by brick how the story was built. The understated performances matched that. I thought Stanley Tucci was especially good in the way that you could feel his empathy and outrage in his mannerisms and distrust, but in a restrained way.

Solo

So Leo became yet another case of the Academy fucking up and not giving him an Oscar several times before for deserving performances, and instead rewarding him with almost a mulligan Oscar later on for a lesser performance in a lesser film. Amazing how many times this has happened.

CcW3X8KVIAAjUjq.jpg:large

Wanted Miller to win, but I'm still happy with the showing. A Mad Max movie got six Oscars. Crazy.

I would have been happy if they won one, but six? I also would have loved to see Miller get best director, but I knew it wasn't going to happen. I also just knew that Fury Road wouldn't win best picture either, even though it was my favorite movie of 2015. But well deserved, especially on best editing and sound design/ mixing.

Ithil

I'm gonna work my way through a bunch of the BP noms (and the winner) I haven't seen yet. It would make more sense to do it before the Oscars, but I didn't, so not much can be done about that now.

Maxim726X

I've seen every best picture nominee except for Brooklyn. Spotlight is the least remarkable for me. Nothing about it stands out. It's well made, the story is interesting enough, but completely forgettable.

I think this Vox video gives a good explanation for why such bland movies win best picture so often. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_V_Pg5eWU8

Well, now it makes sense.

Pretty shit system. Certainly rewards safe, by the numbers movies. Again, not saying Spotlight wasn't a good movie... But it didn't really stand out in any particular way.

Revolver

I've seen every best picture nominee except for Brooklyn. Spotlight is the least remarkable for me. Nothing about it stands out. It's well made, the story is interesting enough, but completely forgettable.

I think this Vox video gives a good explanation for why such bland movies win best picture so often. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_V_Pg5eWU8

I've said it before but I think Doubt was better than Spotlight on the subject and it didn't even receive any nominations the year it was eligible. Great performances from Streep, Philip Seymor Hoffman and Amy Adams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom