• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Acolyte premieres June 4th on Disney+

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
When this person says "they conflate our pain with violence", is she talking about the wanton looting in 2020? Are people really still defending that?

No. She's talking about how some (I said some, not all or most) conflate when we express pain with anger or violence. It's a thing ... I've seen it here in the South.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
No. She's talking about how some (I said some, not all or most) conflate when we express pain with anger or violence. It's a thing ... I've seen it here in the South.
Bored Season 3 GIF by The Office

simpatico

Can you define what you mean by "expressing pain"? For most, I think expressing pain would be saying "ouch" and other such moan and writhing.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Can you define what you mean by "expressing pain"? For most, I think expressing pain would be saying "ouch" and other such moan and writhing.
I think it's more that when the community expresses outrage (towards police profiling, lack of social services, etc) folks outside the community automatically assume its gonna be a riot or some sort of destructive event. Which isn't ALWAYS the case, but if you just assume the community "doesn't REALLY care" unless there is looting or vandalism then it kinda forces their hand if they want to be heard, right?

Just my take as a southern boy.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I think it's more that when the community expresses outrage (towards police profiling, lack of social services, etc) folks outside the community automatically assume its gonna be a riot or some sort of destructive event. Which isn't ALWAYS the case, but if you just assume the community "doesn't REALLY care" unless there is looting or vandalism then it kinda forces their hand if they want to be heard, right?

Just my take as a southern boy.

Exactly! I'm talking emotional pain, individually or as a community. Especially when tragedy strikes because of our long history being policed even when peaceful. Like Bloody Sunday.

8bitpill

I take these things with a grain of salt. Todays interest thrive on the unhinged and misinformation. It's hard to tell when someone is genuine about their statements since most of a younger generation is looking to be in the spotlight no matter the cost.

This leaked footage could have some truth. Look at The Witcher series. It has been stated from the people that worked on the show that they went out of their way to not make the cast full of whites.

Last edited:

NickFire

In the least shocking news possible based on the pre-release information we had:

1) There have been news articles over the past few days casting shade on "the haters".
2) It sits at 3.3 out of 10 on imdb.
3) Despite a glowing score from alleged professional reviewers, the rotten tomatoes average audience score is 13%.

Literally at 13% for audience score.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
In the least shocking news possible based on the pre-release information we had:

1) There have been news articles over the past few days casting shade on "the haters".
3) Despite a glowing score from alleged professional reviewers, the rotten tomatoes average audience score is 13%.

There is this idea that The Acolyte is not being “review bombed,” it’s just really that bad. But the data here is absurd, showing a clear tidal wave of users racing to make it the lowest user-scored product in 50 years of Star Wars history, and it’s amassed quadruple the reviews of the longest-running Star Wars series, The Clone Wars. The only thing even close is three seasons across five years of the massively-watched Mandalorian, and even then, that falls well short. Here’s the list of total user scores by TV project, across all of their season

• The Acolyte – 25,000
  • The Mandalorian – 17,500
  • Obi-Wan Kenobi – 10,000
  • The Clone Wars – 6,000
  • Andor – 5,000
  • Ahsoka – 5,000
  • The Book of Boba Fett – 2,500
  • Rebels – 2,000

Don't worry, RT will remove audience scores soon

jason10mm

Gold Member
See, if Acolyte is getting almost TEN THOUSAND more negative reviews than ALL the reviews of your best show, that should tell yah something. People don't go leave bad reviews when they just don't care. They do it when they are PISSED. Fett shows what apathy looks like, Acolyte is generating RAGE. And is it earning new viewers???

T-0800

Is this show being review bombed? Of course it is. Now the trick for Disney is understanding why this happening. They can just ignore it and claim racism or whatever but I think doing so would be a mistake.

These are like plot choices designed for a series about three times as long as 8 episodes.
You know what's amazing? It's a $180 million budget for 8 episodes

Disney budget bloat is hilariously out of control and they spend it on the worst wokeshit scripts imaginable. I would be embarrassed to have my name in the credits for dreck like this

Ironbunny

You know what's amazing? It's a $180 million budget for 8 episodes

Disney budget bloat is hilariously out of control and they spend it on the worst wokeshit scripts imaginable. I would be embarrassed to have my name in the credits for dreck like this

Yea its rather impressive what kind of shit they greenlit. And the fact it goes own show after show and movie after movie. I would really like to be the fly on the wall to listen what is said behind the closed doors. It all reminds me of that clip of Lucas sitting in the screening of was it Phantom Menace and everybody is looking like what the fuck did we just make.

StueyDuck

I just don't understand why Journos and MSM feel the need to be protectors of the entertainment.

if the populous doesn't like something then, oh well... Like why does some journo need to defend it's honor?

like it's just a form of childish butthurt.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I just don't understand why Journos and MSM feel the need to be protectors of the entertainment.

if the populous doesn't like something then, oh well... Like why does some journo need to defend it's honor?

They need the access. There are so few entertainment mega corps now, if you piss a few of them off you can be blacklisted and there are a dozen hungry media outlets to take your place.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber

How dare someone dispute a narrative with data and facts.

StueyDuck

How dare someone dispute a narrative with data and facts.
Dispute what though. People don't like the show. People who do like the show will watch, those who don't, won't.

What exactly even Is the point of this article, grr people who think one thing is bad and I like that thing.

They could simply just review with their positive opinions and ignore the so called "fake" hate. At least that's what adults do.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
This is called rejection, not review bombing.
It's actually much more organic than the 85% positive shills on rottentomatoes.
Yep. They need to let Star Wars rest for 5 years and in that time hire an extremely good writer, director and producer who will work on all three of an entire new trilogy. No Daisy. A fresh start with a fresh new set of characters not linked to Skywalker in anyway, set in an interesting time period where they can take creative risks without reinventing the wheel in terms of why people like Star Wars in the first place.

StueyDuck

It’s proof it’s being review bombed.
But like... who cares.

The only people who should care this much are the execs at Disney.

Sure make a rant in a tweet or something, but to write a whole article as some sort Knight of justice is just pointless.

It baffles me that they even had the thought that they should let alone actually go and write and publish it.

Like is this article meant to make everyone who didn't like the show now love it 🤷‍♂️ what does this achieve.

Again what is it disputing, is there a contingency where Disney will remove the show if the audience review isn't above 32% and this brave journo needs to save them.

This is all entirely subjective, like so what that some people left a cheeky downvote without seeing the show. What does that mean aside from an arbitrary number on a website.

Well we know what it's all about, to just add further to the social culture wars, they need their favorite show to have a higher number so that when they argue with someone online they can throw the high audience review number around as some sort of win.

Again from a media/journalistic point of view I find it embarrassing that the article even exists in the first place

StueyDuck

Obviously people care enough to make hundred of sock accounts to review bomb it.
But who cares about that?

Certainly enough to write an entire article to tell people off.

It's just so menial and it's pretty much corporate bootlicking from the journalist.

How is this journalists article any different from the people leaving those reviews. It's two sides of the same retard coin.

AJUMP23

Review bombing ultimately hurts getting good SW content later because it allows Disney to tell themselves that the show was targeted, it wasn't bad just targeted. And they can write it off and give more work to these bad writers and show runners and actors.

BlackTron

Gold Member
I take these things with a grain of salt. Todays interest thrive on the unhinged and misinformation. It's hard to tell when someone is genuine about their statements since most of a younger generation is looking to be in the spotlight no matter the cost.

This leaked footage could have some truth. Look at The Witcher series. It has been stated from the people that worked on the show that they went out of their way to not make the cast full of whites.

Discriminate against straight people too! lol

Hedland, who is a lesbian and married to Rebecca Henderson — who is featured in the The Acolyte as a high-ranking Jedi — specifically picked gay actors to be her featured players.

Hedland is desperately trying to dial back the gay. Trying to have it both ways, she now says you aren’t very smart to view the series as queer representation (if you’re a critic), and yet, she’s thrilled that it is viewed as queer representation (if you’re a fan).

Still haven't seen the show. I realized a new episode came out when I came here to post this. Disney didn't just double down, they tripled down. I will never pay for any kind of SW merchandise or content ever again unless we're talking the 99 cent sale on some 90s game. And they hardly deserve that cent.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Review bombing ultimately hurts getting good SW content later because it allows Disney to tell themselves that the show was targeted, it wasn't bad just targeted. And they can write it off and give more work to these bad writers and show runners and actors.
I don't think thats true. Their PR folks will spin it that way but the execs see the true viewer data and will ABSOLUTELY course correct if/when it hits them financially. If easy ESG money starts drying up (and I think reports suggest it is) then they will have to pivot back to a more traditional Star Wars story. Disney as a whole seems to be struggling a bit and trying to redefine itself back as a classic family company with less of an agenda focus.

BlackTron

Gold Member
I don't think thats true. Their PR folks will spin it that way but the execs see the true viewer data and will ABSOLUTELY course correct if/when it hits them financially. If easy ESG money starts drying up (and I think reports suggest it is) then they will have to pivot back to a more traditional Star Wars story. Disney as a whole seems to be struggling a bit and trying to redefine itself back as a classic family company with less of an agenda focus.

Personally, I hope that they are already past the point of irreversible opportunity cost by wrecking the franchise, no matter what they do at this point. For me the best outcome would be to see them just bleed money on new projects while being too stupid to stop it for like 10 years so it goes down in a massive F U fireball to Disney.

22:22:22

Banned
Personally, I hope that they are already past the point of irreversible opportunity cost by wrecking the franchise, no matter what they do at this point. For me the best outcome would be to see them just bleed money on new projects while being too stupid to stop it for like 10 years so it goes down in a massive F U fireball to Disney.

Hey. That's a great post 🤗

AJUMP23

I hope you are right, maybe there is still good in them. But I feel they live in an echo chamber of their own making. They have succumb to the dark side.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I hope you are right, maybe there is still good in them. But I feel they live in an echo chamber of their own making. They have succumb to the dark side.
There really is no good or evil at play here, it's just $$$. Kennedy has expectations and targets to meet and if her approach (probably sold as "the old fans are dying, we need to find a new fan base, so we will hit all these disparate groups in the hopes that they will support each other and collectively replace the core audience we will stop servicing directly") is deemed to not be working she will get new marching orders or will get replaced. Lucasarts was bought by Disney to bolster their brand appeal to boys, Star Wars used to be a MASSIVE merch cash cow. Somehow they lost the goal, tried to virtue target VERY niche audiences and hoped the core fans would just stick around like whipped puppies. That clearly isn't working, the new stuff has terrible merch tie-ins, and the whole ship is creaking to its demise. Some of this is inevitable, probably ALL toy sales are cratered compared to the heady 80's and 90's, but just go look at the high profile Star Wars legos and popular stuff, its almost ALL OT based, a whiff of PT, a slight flavor of ST, and a good dose of Mando, but that's about it. Disney is throwing hundred of millions at this other stuff with no tangible results. I've little doubt they will double down on Empire vs Rebels soon enough.

AJUMP23

There really is no good or evil at play here, it's just $$$. Kennedy has expectations and targets to meet and if her approach (probably sold as "the old fans are dying, we need to find a new fan base, so we will hit all these disparate groups in the hopes that they will support each other and collectively replace the core audience we will stop servicing directly") is deemed to not be working she will get new marching orders or will get replaced. Lucasarts was bought by Disney to bolster their brand appeal to boys, Star Wars used to be a MASSIVE merch cash cow. Somehow they lost the goal, tried to virtue target VERY niche audiences and hoped the core fans would just stick around like whipped puppies. That clearly isn't working, the new stuff has terrible merch tie-ins, and the whole ship is creaking to its demise. Some of this is inevitable, probably ALL toy sales are cratered compared to the heady 80's and 90's, but just go look at the high profile Star Wars legos and popular stuff, its almost ALL OT based, a whiff of PT, a slight flavor of ST, and a good dose of Mando, but that's about it. Disney is throwing hundred of millions at this other stuff with no tangible results. I've little doubt they will double down on Empire vs Rebels soon enough.

I was just trying to use Star Wars language. Business should correct itself, but sometimes ideology wins over business.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
They need the access. There are so few entertainment mega corps now, if you piss a few of them off you can be blacklisted and there are a dozen hungry media outlets to take your place.

Plenty of reviewers have given negative reviews to movies and shows and they STILL get access to premiere nights and early access to shows. I think if all you do is give negative reviews to EVERYTHING and call the people associated names, maybe THEN you'll get blacklisted. But not before that. Just give honest reviews of what you liked and what you don't like. IGN has given plenty of bad reviews and they STILL get early access to movies and shows. So has Rolling Stone and others.

Top Bottom