• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ashes |OT| Australia v England 2013-2014 - All this fuss just for a lil' urn

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a thing of beauty. Amazing work Australia but boy England were terrible in every match.

Australia made them terrible. They came into the tour pretty confident but we're shattered on day two.

Too much pace and bounce, the pressure by the bowlers was unbelievable. The fielding backed up the bowling and the batting was good enough.

Best bowling attack in the world. Trumps Sth Africa as they don't have a fourth seamer now or a decent spinner.

5-0 with an unchanged 11. Mitch Johnson 37 wickets. All Aussie top 7 finished higher runs than any of the poms. Couldn't have asked for much more.

Give them their OBE's!

I think the telling stat is that in the first innings, England's top 5 wickets scored more runs than Australia's.

So still need to fix that up, but they are heading in the right direction. When you are winning it is always easier to bring somebody in and tweak.

Johnson broke their spirit. In ten years time he will be the one everyone remembers first.

A lot of work to do in getting our top order making consistent runs while still valuing their wicket.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Eh, I don't quite buy that. I think England's brittle batting and mental attitude after Brisbane made us look better, although no doubt we have bowled very well.

I'd say the scoreboard reflects both sides. England is shite and we've been able to restrict them to embarrassingly low scores, which reflects on how good the bowlers are, especially with the likes of cook, Pietersen and bell, who just couldn't cope. Consistency is the key here.

Can't wait to see how they deal with the likes of ab de villiers and Hashim amla.

Eh, I don't quite buy that. I think England's brittle batting and mental attitude after Brisbane made us look better, although no doubt we have bowled very well.

Gee whizz, I've never seen that consistent bowling pressure over a whole series. English batsmen were made to look brittle by the bowling. Never given respite.

I'd like to know any series where it's been that consistently accurate, by anyone. Definitely I can't remember one in my watching of cricket in the last 25 years.

I like how Shane Watson is always treated like zoidberg.

"Well done everyone... And Shane Watson."

And so he should be.

The Poms being scared of Johnson was the number 1 reason why they crumbled a lot imo. But then bowling from Harris and Lyon
(I still think you could replace Siddle, but he would have played his role.)
helped tighten the screws to help Johnson out.

Without looking ahead to much, I worry Johnson won't have the some impact in SA.

But for now, let's celebrate the whitewash. Amazing effort.

Well done Pup and Boof for turning this team around.

Oh nah, I dunno about him being well liked or not, but it's just funny that whenever they talk about the bowling unit they throw Watson in as an afterthought.

It is pretty funny when they do that. He didn't seem to make much of an impression on the bowling, so I guess they keep forgetting about him.

He's a knob.

Haha. That's what I gathered from my guy (an Aussie) who also seems to dislike him greatly*, but why is he considered a knob? Is he a jerk or just useless? Or both?

*He expresses this more colorfully, of course.

EDIT: Just saw your responses. Useless it is!

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
He doesn't seem well liked… Is there a reason for this?

Not too sure, but on the cricket show the other day they were talking about watson, and how he got told if he wanted a place in the team.. he had to bowl as well, not just bat.

so I guess he doesn't like bowling lol.

edit:
1388899448458.gif

I remember when he was dropped from India, pat Howard said he is only a bit of a team player. He worries about his own performance ahead of the teams' and hence didn't want to bowl to concentrate and keep him fit for his batting.

Lehman telling him that he has to bowl if he plays is telling Watson that if he wants to play, he has to put the team first ahead of any personal risk to injury.

Good man management example by boof.

Without looking ahead to much, I worry Johnson won't have the some impact in SA.

He'll be fine. He has been bowling well for over a year now, when he was recalled for the sth Africa test in 2012.

He now understands his technique and himself that I am confident that he will repeat his performance of the 2009 Sth Africa tour.

Rezbit

Did a fist-pump when they televised the "Australia, you fucking beauty." Nine might get a few complaints but definitely worth it lol.

What an excellent series from Australia. If the bowling stocks stay healthy what a world-beating pace battery we potentially have. I think it's positive that even though the top order still had wobbles, different people have started to stand up. Before it would just be Clarke and we'd probably stumble to something around 220. Haddin is just in ridiculous touch with bat and gloves. Smith looks like he's sorting out his game, Rogers has done really well to blunt the new ball, and Warner looks like he's in a decent head space. The bowlers are chipping in with useful runs too, something which England sorely missed.

Still some tinkering to do, but I think probably 9 out of the 11 players will be guaranteed for South Africa and should be very competitive.

EDIT: Oh, and it's also worth saying, I wasn't the biggest fan of his, and for all I know he might still be a tosser as a person, but Michael Clarke has become a fucking good captain.

I remember when he was dropped from India, pat Howard said he is only a bit of a team player. He worries about his own performance ahead of the teams' and hence didn't want to bowl to concentrate and keep him fit for his batting.

Lehman telling him that he has to bowl if he plays is telling Watson that if he wants to play, he has to put the team first ahead of any personal risk to injury.

Good man management example by boof.

He'll be fine. He has been bowling well for over a year now, when he was recalled for the sth Africa test in 2012.

He now understands his technique and himself that I am confident that he will repeat his performance of the 2009 Sth Africa tour.

Fingers crossed. I don't want to get my hopes up. A well deserved man of the series though.

AxeMan

Wow.

Just heard a stat on the telecast of the BBL

It's the first time England have lost all 100 wickets in a 5 test series against Australia.
Cook has also said that it's the best bowling attack he has come up against (apparently Cook said that)

Shaneus

I completely missed most of today's play because of a pinball thing. It sounds like complete decimation. I was surprised when I got to the pub at 1pmish that we had gone all out (or declared) but heard we were 450 ahead.

Because I take more joy in giving someone the pleasure of telling me the score (rather than look it up) how much did England go all out for today?

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Wow.

Just heard a stat on the telecast of the BBL

It's the first time England have lost all 100 wickets in a 5 test series against Australia.
Cook has also said that it's the best bowling attack he has come up against (apparently Cook said that)

Well you'd have to get 100 wickets to win 5-0? Unless there was an injured player somewhere.

dejay

Banned
I completely missed most of today's play because of a pinball thing. It sounds like complete decimation. I was surprised when I got to the pub at 1pmish that we had gone all out (or declared) but heard we were 450 ahead.

Because I take more joy in giving someone the pleasure of telling me the score (rather than look it up) how much did England go all out for today?

166 in the 32nd over. Broad was second best at 42 off of 35 (Carberry got 43). Stokes looked ok for a while.

legend166

Well you'd have to get 100 wickets to win 5-0? Unless there was an injured player somewhere.

You don't have to take 20 wickets to win a match - see declarations. It doesn't happen often, but it happens. For example, the Adelaide test in the 06/07 series, England declared their first innings at 6/551 and ended up losing.

AxeMan

An injury or a stupid declaration perhaps.

Someone with access to the records could probably work it out but for now I'll live with what I heard along with a healthy amount of scepticism

Edit
You don't have to take 20 wickets to win a match - see declarations. It doesn't happen often, but it happens. For example, the Adelaide test in the 06/07 series, England declared their first innings at 6/551 and ended up losing.

So it's more than likely true then

Shaneus

166 in the 32nd over. Broad was second best at 42 off of 35 (Carberry got 43). Stokes looked ok for a while.
Crikey. Shameful effort. Strange how the same/similar side couldn't be beaten by us over there not 12 months ago.

Owe it all to Boof, I guess.

dejay

Banned
Hewitt winning? That brings back memories.

Crikey. Shameful effort. Strange how the same/similar side couldn't be beaten by us over there not 12 months ago.

Owe it all to Boof, I guess.

In Boof we trust. All signs seem to point to him having a dramatic effect on the way the team operates, on and off the field.

Lets see how they go in SA. Should be good.

liger05

Australia have a real good balanced attack now. I think they will lose in SA as there are still problems with the top 5 and low scores v SA will be punished big time.

liger05

England must want to just get on the plane but they have the odi as well. Serious analysis needs to be done on why this was such a horrific tour. Losing is one thing but the lack of fight is something else.

As a West Indies fan I expect that from our side.

21 days of cricket for a 5-0 whitewash. Unprecedented in Australian cricket.

Poms only lasted about 2 and a half hours in the second innings didn't they? Was over and done with insanely fast!

6/10 innings this series England failed to reach 200. The extent to which they rolled over and gave up time and time and time again was shocking.

Test 1 - 381 run loss, only took 20 runs out of Australia's second innings
Test 2 - 218 run loss, still 86 runs short of Australia's first innings
Test 3 - 150 run loss, 120 run second innings by Stokes helped England to an impressive second innings total of 353
Test 4 - 8 wicket loss when Australia cruised to 2/231, at a blistering speed compared to the rest of the match
Test 5 - 281 run loss, again falling short of Australia's first innings by 5 runs just to rub it in

Mentally disintegrated by the bowling and staunch rearguard batting of the first 2 games, England looked listless and downtrodden for the majority of the last 3 games. Even Stokes coming in firing couldn't get the rest of the team interested.

Haddin averaged 61.62, (Lyon 60 I guess but he didn't get out all series....), Warner 58.11, Rogers 46.30, Smith 40.87, Clarke 40.33, Watson 38.33.
Haddin fell just short of 500 with 493 runs, considering he batted 8 innings rather than 10 he could have top scored for the series above Warner who made 523 opening. Baileys 26.14 was even less than Johnson's 27.50 so it will be interesting to see if he heads to SA in the 11 or just in the squad.

Unsurprisingly Stoke averaged 34.87 outscoring the rest of the English aside from Pietersen & CarBerry who averaged 29.40 & 28.10 respectively. Root 27.42, Bell 26.11, Captain Cook 24.60.
Carberry's strike rate of 40.43 was lower than any other batsmen in the series (and 7 bowlers!). His opposition opener Warner struck his 523 runs at 74.39 to get things off to a quick start for the Aussie innings.

In terms of bowling Johnson (37) & Harris (22) took 58 wickets between them, Broad ended up with 21 just ahead of Lyon with 19. Siddle picked up 16 and would look to be the only one at risk of missing out in SA while Jimmy Anderson bowled the most overs of any bowler to grab 14.
Borthwick only bowled 13 overs in his first test match, getting tonked for 6.3 runs per over despite picking up 4 wickets.

I like how Shane Watson is always treated like zoidberg.

"Well done everyone... And Shane Watson."
He's been the ugly duckling for his whole career. Not quite good enough with the ball, not quite good enough with the bat to make up one whole cricketer without both sides of him up and playing.

Seems to have wavered in the selectors/Clarke's hearts and minds over the years. Quite entertaining to watch, although that seems to have gone out the window with Boof in charge now.

Pretty boy, has gone through long periods of time performing below expectations/not performing at all, was once groomed to be a future captain, blonde hair and rockstar attitude in years past.
Also has a hot wife much to the chagrin of my best mate who wonders how anyone could deal with Watsons moaning and groaning.

Mainly because he is incredibly unpredictable with the bat. He really needs to pull his weight, otherwise it drags down the team and puts too much pressure on the lower order.

Oh, and it's also worth saying, I wasn't the biggest fan of his, and for all I know he might still be a tosser as a person, but Michael Clarke has become a fucking good captain.
Yep he has really come a long way with his captaincy, was brilliant the whole series with a constantly attacking approach that suffocated the English batsmen. Really enjoyable to watch for 95% of the time we were bowling.

Jezbollah

Still got the Australia vs England ODIs left, might as well keep it open.

Actually, after the non-stop tests, ODIs will be fun and refreshing.

Got a soft spot for them in Australia after being brought up on the World Series.

Do we have an official Cricket OT around here somewhere? as much as it's hurt talking about the current series, it would be nice to carry on talking about the great sport with you guys :)

dejay

Banned

Got a soft spot for them in Australia after being brought up on the World Series.

Do we have an official Cricket OT around here somewhere? as much as it's hurt talking about the current series, it would be nice to carry on talking about the great sport with you guys :)

It's in community of course. Haven't visited in a while myself.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241102

Official cricket OT here.

Yeah it's a bit like the wild west in there at times!

Heh, England retain Ashes 6-0

The England cricket team have come back from the brink and recorded a 6-0 Ashes victory thanks to a superb team effort in editing Wikipedia. Captain Alistair Cook said the emphatic victory should silence all the knockers who thought the team couldn’t tie their own shoelaces, let alone competently operate a laptop computer.

England coach Andy Flower said he was proud of the boys, especially Kevin Pietersen who hadn’t previously written anything longer than a tweet.

Monty Panesar also provided some high class paragraphs after making the starting 11 when Graeme Swann retired midway through the tour after recurring problems in getting Windows 7 to work on his laptop. Panesar’s reference to his bowling being the difference between the teams because of its fantastic flight and artful guile had Wikipedia readers in raptures, with all agreeing that Panesar is truly a master of spin.

Also people need to lay off Hawkey, dude is fucking 84, let him enjoy some attention every now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom