• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ashes |OT| Australia v England 2013-2014 - All this fuss just for a lil' urn

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what the conversation between Joe Root and the batsman down the other end is like? By now it must be like the boy who cried wolf, this time I'm sure I'm not out, promise for realsies.

kmag

Given Englands issues with serious pace I can't believe Australia haven't played one bowler with serious pace just to keep the threat up. The Ball isn't turning at all which might be an issue if Clarke wants to go through the middle overs with Doherty and Maxwell.

kmag

Clarke might want to not to bowl Maxwell. 3 overs for 21. He's fine if it's turning but bowling him so soon has let England off the hook a bit.

Do think Australia look a strike bowler short.

I can understand not selecting Harris for the 1-days, he's held together by stretchy tape and magic spray, but there's a guy in the commentary box who's handy, fit but for some unknown reason banned from 1-day cricket.

cant understand the hate for McKay in here.

He has been our most consistent ODI bowler of the last couple of years, if anyone has been watching...

Kmag - Aussies are a decent spin bowler short. Doherty is pretty bad as a full time spinner. He is only marginally better than a part timer but cant bat or field well. I think Lyon should be in the ODI team ahead of him. Lyon is a better batsman and fielder as well.

Today, McKay, NCN, Doherty all should bowl their 10, then get the rest from Faulkiner, Watson and Maxwell. If we had another decent spin/allrounder, we could get away with a seam bowler instead of Doherty, like Johnson.

Warner, Finch, Watson, Clarke, Bailey and Haddin are locks for the world cup batting wise.

I would say Maxwell, Faulkiner, McKay, and Johnson are all pretty much locks for the world cup starting XI as well.

Its just the spinner place is really up for grabs in the best XI. You would back Johnson, Mckay, Faulkiner to bowl 30 overs each game. Then need to get 20 overs out of Maxwell, Watson, and the spinner (hopefully not Doherty).

If Clarke still bowled it would make selection so much easier.

kmag

Why doesn't Lyon get a game as the ODI spinner? I know he's not considered anything more than someone who can hold up an end as a batter but he's a more threatening bowler than Doherty.

lol, imagine getting out to Maxwell!

I'd throw myself under a bus.

I would be more upset getting clean bowled by Doherty, ala Bell earlier!

I saw your response to the pads last page, yeah they were sort of like them. Disgusting PVC pipes!

have you been in the runs lately? I ask because I want to boast about my return to opener in my last four matches - averaging 47! Got a good 34not out yesterday when we bowled the top team out for 60 and got the runs in 12 overs with no wickets lost. We should now be top of the table.

nice one Faulkner!

Nothing better than bowling someone who youre having a bit of lip with. Was good fun to watch while it lasted, there will definitely be some good viewing for the Faulkner v Stokes encounters this series.

elfinke

I would be more upset getting clean bowled by Doherty, ala Bell earlier!

I saw your response to the pads last page, yeah they were sort of like them. Disgusting PVC pipes!

have you been in the runs lately? I ask because I want to boast about my return to opener in my last four matches - averaging 47! Got a good 34not out yesterday when we bowled the top team out for 60 and got the runs in 12 overs with no wickets lost. We should now be top of the table.

Yep, unattractive pads those Aero's.

Congrats on your average (and running through the top team like that, well done), you're killing it! Miles ahead of me. I've been playing in-between grades, and in-between opening and batting middle order. Averaging 30 in the opening/first drop position in second grade (and even that is inflated due to a solid 59* and 30* earlier), but only 12 at 4-7 in first grade :/ This time last year I had double that average and many, many more runs.

Been a terrible year with the bat, just trying to hit everything too hard (I blame my currently outstanding run of form on the golf course). I'm not playing 20/20, so hopefully will return to good form in late Jan/early Feb when the comp resumes.

/edit: just saw the comp resumes next weekend!

kmag

Australia didn't bowl particularly well but 270 should be a gettable total on this wicket. At under 5.39 an over there's no need to go crazy early.

kmag

Australia going at a pretty good pace here.

They've got Warner a bit bogged down. Even though the overall scoring rate is good and well above England's comparative point, you feel Warner is going to do something silly if he can't get one or two away soon.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
They've got Warner a bit bogged down. Even though the overall scoring rate is good and well above England's comparative point, you feel Warner is going to do something silly if he can't get one or two away soon.

Haha, yeah, though england seems to have ran out of luck in the ODIs too.

Haha SkySports are going mental.

Sucks since Warner took his word, when the batman is taking the catcher at his word the umpires should drop it. Certainly looked like it bounced on ground not glove for that kind of deflection up.

elfinke

lol, good to see both Warner walk off and the benefit of the doubt go to the batsman, but jeez. Not sure technology did The Game of Cricket any real favours there.

Sucks since Warner took his word, when the batman is taking the catcher at his word the umpires should drop it. Certainly looked like it bounced on ground not glove for that kind of deflection up.

100% agreed.

kmag

Haha SkySports are going mental.

Sucks since Warner took his word, when the batman is taking the catcher at his word the umpires should drop it.

It's always difficult for the 3rd umpire due to the camera foreshortening. On the camera it didn't look out, if the catcher is calling for it and the batter is happy to accept it I'd be happy to accept it as well. I know cricket can be hard played but you have to accept the catchers word, it's been very rare that has been shown to be wrong.

At the end of the day the umpire didn't call it out, they wanted it sent to replays.

On video you couldn't see the keepers gloves under the ball before it bounced.

No way for the 3rd umpire to give it out. No conclusive evidence.

Enjoying the salt on the English stream :)

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Finch should let himself got and grow a sick moustache, Boonie up this piece.

Jimi-Stephens-Boon-Infatuation.png

crickets-david-boon-in-our-defence-its-hard-to-find-5864330.jpg%3Fw%3D600

Edit: Damn Ashes highlight DVD out already. Tempting.

Lay down Bresnan, you drunk.

That's a quality beer gut, he hadn't let himself go that much!

:)

Seeing quite a few tummies on players today. At least Bresnan seems to have an undershirt this time to hide his diamond nipples.

If I had the money I'd just buy them some tickets home with a little note on them

"You gave it your best"

or

"Go home and be a family man"

Salt in open wounds…! :D

jambo

$29.95 for the Cricket Australia Ashes 2013/14 Highlights DVD.

PLEASE NOTE THIS ITEM FOR PREORDER
DELIVERY EARLY FEBRUARY 2014
Title: The Official Highlights of the Commonwealth Bank Ashes series 2013 - 2014: The Urn Returns

Product Synopsis: (holding copy)
17 December 2013. After four long years, the urn is back in Australia's hands - and where it belongs. Gone is the frustration, disappointment and despair of losing the coveted Ashes for three straight series. Australia's pride has been restored following an emphatic victory over England, the team strongly favoured to hold onto cricket's most prized trophy. It took just 14 days of cricket for the Aussies to attain their unassailable three-nil Ashes lead - and they achieved it with spirit, determination and brute force.

The Urn Returns gives you the chance to replay every triumphant moment of Australia''s journey out of defeat and onto glory, including:
  • The game saving centuries scored by Warner and Smith
  • Mitchell Johnson's enthralling 7/40 wickets in an innings
  • George Bailey's blistering 28 runs in one over, a world-record-equalling achievement
  • Watson's mesmerising quick-fire 100; and
  • The relentless pressure poured on by the Aussies that shattered the confidence of the English team.

It's 3 discs, so it should be a fair bit of footage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom