• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ashes 2015 |OT| Three Mitchells v Three Lions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Well done to the women's team! Managed to catch some of it, couldn't catch more because for some ungodly reason I can watch it on the mobile app seeing that I bought the 365 pass but they don't stream on the net client.

kmag

What's happened to Mitchell Starc? He got worse the longer the Ashes when on and he bowled that first over like a drunk 2009 era Mitchell Johnson.

kmag

Cummins is rapid, but he's doing that fucking annoying thing of landing right front of the stumps on his follow through. Shouldn't matter so much in a t20, but it's crept into the game far too much. It's like umpires can't be arsed looking at anything other than where the ball pitches and what the batter does.

kmag

Some hitting by Morgan and Ali (although both have been pretty lucky with miscues falling short), but fuck me Smith is either a terrible captain or has been told to bowl through his allrounders come what may. Because they're getting creamed here and he's done fuck all to try to stop it.

Antiwhippy

Lol cameron boyce.

Why do they not have lyon in the ODI side again? He did great in the zimbabwe tri-series and then they decide he suddenly can't bowl in ODIs.

kmag

Great display of batting

Pretty lucky stuff to be honest. I mean the hits are great and there's been some cracking 6's, but on another day Morgan certainly would have been gone about 8 times with the amount of miscues falling short or safe.

Antiwhippy

Relax Kmag.

Not like 200 is all that uncommon for T20s anyway.

Fully expecting maxwell to not deliver though. It's always hilarious to me that he's considered the T20 guy when he is significantly more accomplished in ODIs compared to his T20i career, even early on.

kmag

Relax Kmag.

Not like 200 is all that uncommon for T20s anyway.

Fully expecting maxwell to not deliver though. It's always hilarious to me that he's considered the T20 guy when he is significantly more accomplished in ODIs compared to his T20i career, even early on.

They were well on top, 27-2 in the 6th over but then Smith went round the allrounder houses , I mean Maxwell only bowled 2 and only went at a run a ball but Marsh, Stoinis and Watson had to have a couple of overs each and all disappeared for 10.50, 13.00, 16.50 an over respectively. That's just bad captaincy regardless of the format.

Antiwhippy

Hmm, that's true, though people do love to play around with all-rounders in t20s.

I dunno, it'll be interesting times to see how smith develops as a captain, but part of me feels like we're missing a few more years of clarke's captaincy for smith to glean off.

Jezbollah

LMFAO WATSON!

EDIT: I actually thought he had kicked his stumps or the ball onto the stumps. Was actually unlucky not booting the ball away..

kmag

Australia have managed to lose this. None of their allrounders are any cop they lost the game both with ball and especially with the bat. Not one of them contributed anything positive. They all bowled filth, none of them did anything with the bat. Marsh made the cardinal mistake in T20 of not doing much but taking up a crapload of balls to do it.

The WACA is dead.

All tests/ODI/T20 involving England, India and South Africa will be moved to the new Burswood stadium. I always though we need to remove uniqueness from cricket, more dull drop in pitches for all!

Other teams and WA will still play at the WACA but it will be downsized and probably neutered..

Probably why Dennis Lillee resigned yesterday.

Kuros

The WACA is dead.

All tests/ODI/T20 involving England SA and South Africa will be moved to the new Burswood stadium. I always though we need to remove uniqueness from cricket, more dull drop in pitches for all!

Other teams and WA will still play at the WACA but it will be downsized and probably neutered..

Probably why Dennis Lillee resigned yesterday.

Horrendous.

After what they did to the Adelaide oval now this.

We're very lucky in England winger sports don't use our cricket grounds so that they stay looking like cricket grounds.

What's next drop in at the Gabba?

bomma_man

Horrendous.

After what they did to the Adelaide oval now this.

We're very lucky in England winger sports don't use our cricket grounds so that they stay looking like cricket grounds.

What's next drop in at the Gabba?

The gabba's had a drop in for years

Pretty sure the Gabba's still a hold out, apparently due to climactic conditions they don't think they can replicate the pitch with a drop in. Annoys the AFL to no end, but the Lions are so terrible no one notices.

The SCG trust, on the otherhand, have basically told the AFL to get fucked.

Kuros

The Gabba is not a drop in. They have resisted the AFL for a while. The SCG also not a drop in and not a lot of chance of either changing given the two grounds administrations current stances.

What they did to Adelaide was a travesty imo.

Edit beaten.

Antiwhippy

Going a bit slowly now, but we have a whole slew of heavy hitters and smith is known for accelerating out of nowhere.

kmag

Going a bit slowly now, but we have a whole slew of heavy hitters and smith is known for accelerating out of nowhere.

Too many wickets off terrible balls, and not scoring well enough on what looks an absolute belter of a pitch. You'll need Watson, Maxwell, Marsh and Wade to come off big time to post a decent score. Anything under 300 should be easily gettable for England even with the new rules. It's an absolute belter of a pitch.

Maxwell gone. Australia aren't winning this unless they blast England out. 192/5 in the 36th over. I give Wade two overs of scratching around before he gets out.

bomma_man

Pretty sure the Gabba's still a hold out, apparently due to climactic conditions they don't think they can replicate the pitch with a drop in. Annoys the AFL to no end, but the Lions are so terrible no one notices.

The SCG trust, on the otherhand, have basically told the AFL to get fucked.

The Gabba is not a drop in. They have resisted the AFL for a while. The SCG also not a drop in and not a lot of chance of either changing given the two grounds administrations current stances.

What they did to Adelaide was a travesty imo.

Edit beaten.

Oh really? I distinctly remember that there used to be a big pitch square in the middle during AFL games and now there isn't. Must be thinking of something else.

Well that's that.

Why is Wade playing. He's fucking terrible.

LOL

Antiwhippy

Good stuff by our bowling unit, and our batting depth is still terrifyingly long. I actually honestly do think that our ODI team travels faaaaaar better than our test team.

kmag

Oh really? I distinctly remember that there used to be a big pitch square in the middle during AFL games and now there isn't. Must be thinking of something else.

LOL

He's a decent batsman, but a poor keeper and repeat offender as being an absolute moron. From pointless runouts to pointless appeals to baffling DRS reviews. He's like a less bright Shane Watson.

bomma_man

He's a decent batsman, but a poor keeper and repeat offender as being an absolute moron. From pointless runouts to pointless appeals to baffling DRS reviews. He's like a less bright Shane Watson.

I agree, and have heard first hand hearsay to the effect that he's a dick, but funny given he won the match for us.

Antiwhippy

I'm glad he's not our test keeper where I actually value the ability to keep over the ability to bat, but I don't mind him as the ODI keeper.

Kuros

LOL

100% the gabba is not a drop in. Google it. Pisses the AFL off no end as they bring in more money so it may happen one day.

The SCG is extremely unlikely to ever go drop in as it's basically owned by a cricket first trust.

bomma_man

100% the gabba is not a drop in. Google it. Pisses the AFL off no end as they bring in more money so it may happen one day.

The SCG is extremely unlikely to ever go drop in as it's basically owned by a cricket first trust.

Just watching the footy now, you're right. Very distinct square.

I'm loathe to make a comment as it will probably result in a wicket, but this will get out of hand for England soon. Hope Warner's Thumb is Ok, I don't think Australia have another batsman on tour.

DeSo

Banned
Moeen Ali is the luckiest cricketer in the world. All of a sudden he's turning it more than a leg spinner and missing the edge with the bat about twenty times.

kmag

Australia need to get a move on here.

The new rules mean you want to go after 30 if you've got wickets in hand. No point waiting until the extra fielder goes out.

kmag

They'll make a decent total. And with Starc and NCN in their arsenal I don't think they'll be too worried.

I don't know it looks a pretty decent deck for spin bowling and Australia only have Maxwell. They'll need at least 300 which will be bit of an ask from here. They'll basically need to go at 10's from here.

DeSo

Banned
There's definitely something there for the quicks, I thought Woakes bowled really well. Finn had a few good deliveries but Stokes and Plunkett were disappointing.

kmag

Maxwell gone, 218/4. 9 overs left. Still a lot of work on to post a score toward 300, it still looks like it's doing something for the seamers and the spinners.

kmag

Watson's left a ton of runs on the table here with slow running and sclaffed hitting. Thank christ he's out. Bizarre innings given the platform and the resources in hand.

Watson's left a ton of runs on the table here with slow running and sclaffed hitting. Thank christ he's out. Bizarre innings given the platform and the resources in hand.

Wasn't it bumble who said "If he was a horse they would take him out the back and shoot him" at one point?

Great innings from MMarsh really showing that Watto's days are numbered. Why he's playing at 6 I'll never know. Though if Warner is out for the series he or maybe wade will open.

kmag

Australia's bowling has been very very very ordinary. It's a bit easier to bat now the sky has cleared up but they're bowling lots of wide filth and not building any pressure. Unless it significantly improves, England will canter this, they're well up with the rate.

Starc in particular has bowled like a drain. Cummins had one good over but has bowled poorly since.

Frankly Australia have been lackadaisical all day, no sense of urgency at all, very un-Australian like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom