• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT18| - Ma-ma-ma-MAXIMUM! Haram Achieved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

Superman is boring.

1911873-comet.png

zeemumu

Superman is boring.

Spider-Man's my favorite superhero because he gets absolutely dumped on by life, just as much as a lot of the heroes that he interacts with, and yet he's always able to brush himself off and keep moving with that same light-hearted attitude, and it's something that I really respect about him. Also that powerset is awesome.

I don't really get that from Superman. It seems like every hardship that he takes rocks him considerably. I guess that's because of the weight of his station as one of the strongest heroes (if not the strongest) but it just seems like a steady decline in his personality every time. He never really seems to recover, just constantly decay.

Walking in the grocery store. Near the Redbox there's these 2 white guys talking and all I hear is one guy yelling "the niggas are coming the niggas are coming! There's a bunch..." And I was inside

Spider-Man's my favorite superhero because he gets absolutely dumped on by life, just as much as a lot of the heroes that he interacts with, and yet he's always able to brush himself off and keep moving with that same light-hearted attitude, and it's something that I really respect about him. Also that powerset is awesome.

I don't really get that from Superman. It seems like every hardship that he takes rocks him considerably. I guess that's because of the weight of his station as one of the strongest heroes (if not the strongest) but it just seems like a steady decline in his personality every time. He never really seems to recover, just constantly decay.

This is kind of a misreading of Spidey. He absolutely doesn't recover from his mistakes, and he constantly beats himself up. The quips are an act and part of his persona as Spidey, but he is absolutely covering up a deep-seated need to save everyone and stop every crime he possibly can. Anytime he doesn't, it's like Uncle Ben is killed all over again. Peter hates himself. He takes it all on his shoulders. He doesn't give up because he's trying every day to make up his failure to his uncle.

I don't want to ruin your enjoyment of Spidey, though. It's just a lot more complicated with Peter than that.

LionPride

Banned

Peter Parker shits on himself as much as life does, he makes jokes to get through the day as Spider-Man because if he didn't life would be even worse. He doesn't really keep moving, shits with him constantly and forever.

zeemumu

Peter Parker shits on himself as much as life does, he makes jokes to get through the day as Spider-Man because if he didn't life would be even worse. He doesn't really keep moving, shits with him constantly and forever.

This is kind of a misreading of Spidey. He absolutely doesn't recover from his mistakes, and he constantly beats himself up. The quips are an act and part of his persona as Spidey, but he is absolutely covering up a deep-seated need to save everyone and stop every crime he possibly can. Anytime he doesn't, it's like Uncle Ben is killed all over again. Peter hates himself. He takes it all on his shoulders. He doesn't give up because he's trying every day to make up his failure to his uncle.

I don't want to ruin your enjoyment of Spidey, though. It's just a lot more complicated with Peter than that.

Even so, I appreciate that he doesn't go all Batman with it. Or, you know, enslave humanity because of his fuck ups. At least not currently. It's hard to even keep going after taking shit like that.

How you gonna be strong af but get killed?

He's solar powered. Doomsday wore him down.

I really enjoy Spider-man for both these reasons.
Love his powers and how they lend themselves to his personality when he's wearing the suit. He can't catch a break either. The pressure he puts on himself and how he may hide behind it, very relatable.

tbf,

they've always been a mistake in my eyes.

E: Obviously I just hate anything LeBron James associated, though. And my unconditional love from the Spurs that dates back to my finding a Tim Duncan player card when I was like 6.

I mean I don't want to say I hate him, I just hope nothing good happens for him again. I feel the same for the warriors.

So... go spurs?
(Knicks aint shit! watch them win more games now that they should tank the rest of the season)

LionPride

Banned
I really enjoy Spider-man for both these reasons.
Love his powers and how they lend themselves to his personality when he's wearing the suit. He can't catch a break either. The pressure he puts on himself and how he may hide behind it, very relatable.

Very true, I have gotten rejected from almost every college I applied to. Yet my personality does not allow me to show it. I beat myself up constantly, I want to do everything I can to better the lives of those around me, but I constantly act like shit don't bother me.

I've always related to Peter.

Slayven

How you gonna be strong af but get killed?

Not to get too nerdy but Superman is a battery. Everyone of his powers come from the energy he has stored in his cells. The more he goes all out the less energy there is to keep him invulnerable.

There was a crossover called Final Night where the sun got eaten. By the end of it he was huffing and puffing to keep up with Batman

390353303018_1_0_1.jpg

While I want Spidey to quip and think that's an essential part of his character, I feel like a lot of people want it for the wrong reasons and don't get who Peter is. Same as people who think Hulk is just Hulk smash. I hope they get that aspect right in the new movies. I think they will, though.

Reposting in here.
In 2008, James Jackson (White supremacist sword killer from Bmore) said, he voted for Barack Obama for President, one of the few people of mixed race he said he could respect. “I couldn’t let Palin get in there. She’s stupid,” he said, referencing then-Republican candidate for vice president Sarah Palin

Im sick of seeing apologists for Trump supporters saying "theyre not racists!" by bringing up the 10% or so that voted for Obama in 2008 or 2012. James Jackson was one of those Obama voters.

Not to get too nerdy but Superman is a battery. Everyone of his powers come from the energy he has stored in his cells. The more he goes all out the less energy there is to keep him invulnerable.

There was a crossover called Final Night where the sun got eaten. By the end of it he was huffing and puffing to keep up with Batman

390353303018_1_0_1.jpg
smh strongest dude gotta go home when the streetlights come on.

zeemumu

While I want Spidey to quip and think that's an essential part of his character, I feel like a lot of people want it for the wrong reasons and don't get who Peter is. I hope they get that aspect right in the new movies. Same as people who think Hulk is just Hulk smash.

They do kinda fine with Hulk being more than Hulk smash but there isn't a lot said about his relationship with Banner. We only get one line about it and it's kind of a throwaway during his fight with Tony.

When I said that Peter brushes himself off and keeps going, I didn't mean that he just forgets it and moves on. I mean that he literally keeps moving with all of that on him with the jokes and whatnot even though he's as fucked up as the rest of them.

Remember that time Supes teamed up with Captain Marvel, not knowing who he was, and then...

And to think, Superman would later go on to burn a hole through this kid's skull because he dared to question his totalitarian dictatorship. And Wonder Woman would go on to murder several children because she and Aquaman had a bad breakup after she beheaded his wife.

Dai101

Banned
Do you think Hitler was a hell of a public speaker? Do you feel like Richard Spencer doesn't deserve to be punched? Do you want to engage in a eugenics program to rid the Earth of inferior races? Don't. Don't do any of those things. Don't do them, say them, think them, or believe them. History has taken a pretty decent look at the Nazi phenomenon, and those of us on the right side of everything normal have concurred that Nazis are fucksticks. Don't look for a silver lining. Don't read that Hitler liked dogs and think "Huh, well that's good." It's not fucking good. That's good like an unchewed peanut in a turd is good. It's not good!

I know, Cracked and all that, but this made laugh, hard

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-ultimate-guide-to-navigating-online-fame/

cdyhybrid

When motherfuckers try to critique the language you use in emails but can't coherently explain why they don't like it over email...

shingi70

Banned
They do kinda fine with Hulk being more than Hulk smash but there isn't a lot said about his relationship with Banner. We only get one line about it and it's kind of a throwaway during his fight with Tony.

When I said that Peter brushes himself off and keeps going, I didn't mean that he just forgets it and moves on. I mean that he literally keeps moving with all of that on him with the jokes and whatnot even though he's as fucked up as the rest of them.

And to think, Superman would later go on to burn a hole through this kid's skull because he dared to question his totalitarian dictatorship. And Wonder Woman would go on to murder several children because she and Aquaman had a bad breakup after she beheaded his wife.

I mean it's easy to shit or films a char Ater if your using an alternate version of them. Like everything you like about Spider-man goes away if you sue regin as look at the character.

That said alot of that is on WB/DC for putting their spotlight character in a bad light.

zeemumu

I mean it's easy to shit or films a char Ater if your using an alternate version of them. Like everything you like about Spider-man goes away if you sue regin as look at the character.

That said alot of that is on WB/DC for putting their spotlight character in a bad light.

We'll leave cancer due to radioactive spider cum out of this, thank you.

Slayven

Never cared for the Injustice or Justice Lords.

Flash Point Wonder Woman and Aquaman are one thing, but Superman to go evil? That is too much of a stretch

LionPride

Banned
My name is identified as "That King"
I'll let y'all worry about a list, I'm on some other shit
A difference between accomplishments and astonishments
You know what time it is, ante up, this is in forever
Y'all got 'til April the 7th to get y'all shit together

Nudull

Banned
Never cared for the Injustice or Justice Lords.

Flash Point Wonder Woman and Aquaman are one thing, but Superman to go evil? That is too much of a stretch

Remember that time Billy Batson went evil in a post-apoc Earth because he got thirsty over Wonder Woman?

Johndoey

Banned
I don't know I think there's value in Superman being this relatively simple character whose defining trait is he's a good man, no self-flagellation, no death wish, just a good person. The interesting thing about Supes is how he ends up relating to the world at large. Synder's Superman feels more like a version of Superboy-Prime than anything else.

shingi70

Banned
We'll leave cancer due to radioactive spider cum out of this, thank you.

Regin is like the prime example of someone reading DKR and not understanding the reason why that particular book works.

Despite the avatar I have Superman is my favorite character. Superman can beat himself up alot, but only through the lens of bad writers does he go off the deep end. One of my favorite aspects of the character is how mundane Clark Kent is. He's the everyman and despite having all the power in the world he doesn't let tragedies define him. Spider-man and Batman are marred so much by their personal tragedies that the only reason they are heroes are out of a broken Obligation to ghosts. Superman is what Clark Kent thinks he should do to make a world a better place to be more progressive than reactive. Clark Kent even knows that their are problems that superman can't fix which is why him being a journalist is an inspired move, He historically has always fought for the little men and fights for change in both his dual identities.

Sch1sm

My name is identified as "That King"
I'll let y'all worry about a list, I'm on some other shit
A difference between accomplishments and astonishments
You know what time it is, ante up, this is in forever
Y'all got 'til April the 7th to get y'all shit together

Still don't have my shit together.

I always loved the idea of Pa Kent dying from a heart attack or stroke, so that Superman literally could do nothing to save him, because Superman isn't a god and needed to learn that lesson early.

Superman isn't Jesus and Snyder doesn't understand that. Superman might as well have walked on water in Man of Steel, and had a Last Supper shot like Alien: Covenant, then been nailed to a cross.

Speaking of superheroes, I'm extremely excited for the Deadpool: Home-Coming trailer tomorrow.

SAY IT AGAIN FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK

Superman is not a Jesus analogue. He's a MOSES analogue. His creators were Jewish, why the fuck would they make Super Jesus?

He was put in a floating spaceship (basket) as a baby and sent away so that others could care for him. That's Moses!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom