• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The critical role of ps4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good, here is what I consider to be the right interpretation of Sony's move into the next gen (as usual)

1 - They expect the previous console to be the cash cow for the next few years
2 - They expect PS4 users to upgrade as time goes
3 - Because of these they will still support the PS4 with first party content

Like they always do, after a new console is launched they release exclusive games on it - made for it - but they keep releasing games on their previous console for a while as well, a well known example is God of War 2 on the PS2, but it is far from the exception.

This is also what market dynamics call for when you are the leader, the ground falls off pretty fast underneath secondary platforms, but PlayStations enjoyed a lot of sales after their followup was released - the PS2 outsold both the 360 and the PS3 for a long time, it also enjoyed both first and third party support for a few years into the following generation, OG xbox fell off pretty fast (OG xbox was my platform of choice during that generation).

But Sony also always release games made exclusively for the new console - they always do both, it was just not clearly stated (I think this is Cerny that mentioned the PS5 would have games made exclusively for it, which would be like saying that the PS3 would have launch games, despite the fact that it could run PS2 games).

mcz117chief

"price appealing to gamers in light of its advanced feature set" = $599+. How else will you get those "1080ti" equivalent GPU and 2TB SSD? SSD are still expensive. A 2TB SSD costs almost as much as a brand new PS4 (around $200). Either the console will be way less powerful than most people thing (I think it will), the price will be higher than PS4 at launch or SONY will lose hundreds of dollars on each sold console.

Last edited:

FranXico

Sony has a track record of supporting the ending generation with its own exclusives while also releasing exclusives for the new generation.
This is especially true when BC is there.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Dial it back on antagonistic console warring. Your entire post history reeks of which you are intending to complain about.
So Microsoft doing this was plain stupid, but now if Sony does it as well, it is going to be a smart move.
That’s how it works around here. The Sony defense force is an embarrassment. Hilarious to see them trip over themselves when Horizon and Death Stranding was announced for PC 😂😂😂

vkbest

So Microsoft doing this was plain stupid, but now if Sony does it as well, it is going to be a smart move.

Sony is not making this strategy (despite I think is the right plan). You only need to see, Sony not announced any new AAA game for PS4 at least for 2 years

sdrawkcab

Banned
aXXjxTd.png

I'll just leave this here...

Anyone who thought Sony was going to leave 90 million people, and hundreds of millions of dollars behind is an absolute idiot!

I remember someone called me an "ass-hat" for that post. I guess that's the new term for someone who has common sense?

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
Holy misinterpretation.

Ofcourse PS4 is going to be their main source of income as people gradually transition to next-gen.
Literally nobody has made a claim saying otherwise.

Psykodad

Banned
You don't read these forums, huh?
I do.
People are saying that Sony will be releasing 1st party PS5 exclusive games.
Nobody said that Sony is going to completely ignore PS4.

Besides, all that quote in the tweet showed was that Sony is banking on PS4 income while they shift towards PS5.
No idea how that somehow relates to Sony doing the same as MS.

Aion002

That’s how it works around here. The Sony defense force is an embarrassment. Hilarious to see them trip over themselves when Horizon and Death Stranding was announced for PC 😂😂😂
How old are you guys?

Sony did that on Ps1, Ps2, Ps3 and Psp...

Heck ps3 got TLU and GT 6 near the Ps4 release.

Sony always support her consoles until the end.

And definitely the Ps5 will have exclusives on launch, just like the other Playstations.

Is this guy retarded?
Welcome to Kid Smoove's Twitter page.

Horizon was never confirmed, and yet you're trash talking PS fans? If you were an adult you wouldn't care about this crap.

Last edited:

hunthunt

Banned
We got Ape Escape 3, Siren 2 and God of War 2 for PS2 on PS3 release window, we got Gram Turismo 6, Pupeteer and The Last of Us the year the Ps4 was released, we will get Ghost of Tsushima, The last of Us 2 and Dreams the year where PS5 is released.

See the difference? for stuff like this Sony sells 3x than Microsoft, deal with it.

DonF

also consider that games like fifa and just dance will still release on ps4 until the year 2024 .

dave_d

I'll just leave this here...

Anyone who thought Sony was going to leave 90 million people, and hundreds of millions of dollars behind is an absolute idiot!

I remember someone called me an "ass-hat" for that post. I guess that's the new term for someone who has common sense?

I just like to point out that leaving behind millions of users is part of the problem that got Sega in trouble with the Saturn. (Dumping tons of Genesis owners with pretty much no Triple-A titles after Sonic and Knuckles.)

PocoJoe

Banned
"price appealing to gamers in light of its advanced feature set" = $599+. How else will you get those "1080ti" equivalent GPU and 2TB SSD? SSD are still expensive. A 2TB SSD costs almost as much as a brand new PS4 (around $200). Either the console will be way less powerful than most people thing (I think it will), the price will be higher than PS4 at launch or SONY will lose hundreds of dollars on each sold console.

How can so many people compare retail prices, you really think that Sony walks to a store and buys SSDs with retail pricing instead of hude quantities with much lower Price?

sdrawkcab

Banned
I just like to point out that leaving behind millions of users is part of the problem that got Sega in trouble with the Saturn. (Dumping tons of Genesis owners with pretty much no Triple-A titles after Sonic and Knuckles.)
Precisely! This is just basic common sense.

I'd hate for some of these guys at gaf to be running Sony or any video game company, they'd go under in 2 weeks.

nikolino840

Sony Is 4the players

mcz117chief

How can so many people compare retail prices, you really think that Sony walks to a store and buys SSDs with retail pricing instead of hude quantities with much lower Price?
Well obviously, but the price difference won't be that big will it? It will be at least a half.

Psykodad

Banned
Sony was never going to be leaving behind millions of users.

They are merely shifting focus onto next-gen.
This has alway been the case and next-gen won't be any different. Nor is anyone expecting it.

The only difference this time is that MS isn't doing that because they are forced to play it safe due to being 3rd place and having lost a very large chunk of their 360 installbase.
And honestly, it's the "Xbox Defence Force" that is concern trolling.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom