• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Crow - Official Trailer (2024)Bill Skarsgård,Danny Huston

jufonuk

not tag worthy
My comment about this being the devil may cry reboot in aesthetics still stands. It’s nice they show us the whole film in the trailer.
Now this is a trailer
which movie would you rather see based on trailer alone ?

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
This looks like trash.
The music is crap, especially when compared to the soundtrack from the original The Crow.
The actor has no charisma and looks like the desk in the back of the classroom. All that's missing is the chewing gum stuck to his forehead.
The visuals are generic. They lack the weigh, ambience and darkness of the original. Even the The Crow II looked better than this.
Seems like it is just another worthless remake, that no one asked for.
The only positive thing about it, is that it reminded me I haven't watched the original in a few years. So I'll do that instead of watching this thing.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
This looks like trash.
The music is crap, especially when compared to the soundtrack from the original The Crow.
The actor has no charisma and looks like the desk in the back of the classroom. All that's missing is the chewing gum stuck to his forehead.
The visuals are generic. They lack the weigh, ambience and darkness of the original. Even the The Crow II looked better than this.
The only positive thing about it, is that it reminded me I haven't watched the original in a few years. So I'll do that instead of watching this thing.
I expect to see posts about new crow remake reignites interest in the original film

mortal

Gold Member
This looks so mediocre and uninspired.

Man, I hate modern trailer so music much. Regardles of the genre or themes it's almost always the same formulaic bombatsic arragment of a liscened song. Boring as hell.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This looks like trash.
The original Crow CD is one the best music CDs I ever bought back in the 90s.

GhSKqRz.jpg

Last edited:

GymWolf

This looks like trash.
That must be the strangest comparison i heard in a hot minute...

How the fuck does a skinny dude looks like a desk? :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Edit: saw the trailer, lol now i kinda get it :lollipop_squinting:

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I kind of liked it! The amount of graphic violence piqued my interest. Not sure if it will stand up to the original, but it easily looks better than any of the terrible sequels.

kunonabi

The new premise of Shelley's death is so woefully misguided even im surprised at how badly they're screwing this up.

midnightAI

What the fuck was that?

I'm pissed they even remade a film that the actor died making which should have been left as a shrine to his memory (helps that the film is amazing). I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt but they have removed everything that made the original awesome (except maybe the soundtrack but that is yet to be seen but Ozzy is a good start at least)

I'll probably watch it at some point while whinging and complaining all the way through it (so not a cinema watch then)

the crow fire GIF by FilmStruck

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member

Are they doing those trailers to bait the nerd out of fans of the original ? James O Barr wrote the original to deal with the death of his fiancée killed by a drunk driver and what he perceived as an escalation of aimless violence in society. Having rich satanists as villains is a total miscomprehension of the original.
It’s the fallout trailer all over again god dammit im too much of a nerd with ip i love 😬

Wow the atmosphere is non-existent

Looks barely average
There is something about the ultra-HD generation we're in now that erases any feeling of mystery or even "distance". Everything looks so crystal clear and clean to the point of just looking like actors cosplaying in front of my face to me.

I don't even know how to properly explain my reaction to it. It feels like I'm seeing how the sausage is made to clearly despite many old films having more obvious sets. I don't feel like I'm witnessing some other place anymore in many modern films and series but just watching actors cosplay in...reality. I find it fucking dull and depressing and even period pieces like Killers... gave me that vibe recently. It just all looks like "reality" vs. some art design creating a particular emotional space to be in for the run time.

Rambling but it's the best I can do. I can't stand it quite frankly. I'd rather watch an old VHS even than this Hyper HD shit anymore.

Little Mac

I’m a huge … huge … fan of the original. I was 14 years old when it came out and the soundtrack to that movie was fucking amazing.

Having said all that, I’m not offended by this trailer and will give it a shot. Honestly it looks fun … but I also said that about the Roadhouse remake and I’m hearing it’s dumb.

dorkimoe

the original is my favorite movie ever, ill watch this because the violence looked fun but i dont expect it to be good.

needs more the CUREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

jufonuk

not tag worthy
There is something about the ultra-HD generation we're in now that erases any feeling of mystery or even "distance". Everything looks so crystal clear and clean to the point of just looking like actors cosplaying in front of my face to me.

I don't even know how to properly explain my reaction to it. It feels like I'm seeing how the sausage is made to clearly despite many old films having more obvious sets. I don't feel like I'm witnessing some other place anymore in many modern films and series but just watching actors cosplay in...reality. I find it fucking dull and depressing and even period pieces like Killers... gave me that vibe recently. It just all looks like "reality" vs. some art design creating a particular emotional space to be in for the run time.

Rambling but it's the best I can do. I can't stand it quite frankly. I'd rather watch an old VHS even than this Hyper HD shit anymore.
It’s too well lit. The original had atmosphere look at the lovely contrast and the grimy sets. This one looks too clean. It looks like John wick cos playing the crow.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
My comment about this being the devil may cry reboot in aesthetics still stands. It’s nice they show us the whole film in the trailer.
Now this is a trailer

I'm definitely gonna rewatch the original. But the new one might be good in it has some solid action and is less ab focused than the trailer.

I have never seen the original and because of that I hold no nostalgia for it.

From my perspective after watching both trailers, they both look like different flavors of cheese. One of them is 1990s cheese and the other is 2020s cheese.

I guess it's kind of cool that he can revive like he hit a checkpoint in a video game 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Looks like complete trash. The atmosphere is gone, the violence is uninspiring and unimpressive, cg blood, terrible makeup on Skarsgård. The list goes on. The original is one of my all time favorite movies and this reboot is a total disgrace to the legacy of Brandon Lee and what Alex Proyas accomplished back in 94. Good thing the 4K edition of the original is dropping so I can rewatch that instead.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I have hopes that this new version will have some hyperviolence and maybe introduce a bit of new lore to the franchise. Not sold on the villain but I'm willing to give it a chance, like I have for all the others. I want some spin on the revenge tale though, like the girl was was cheatin' 304 and his quest for vengeance was really a MGTOW journey or some shit like that.

But who am I kidding. Guys killing themselves to get with the girl is crack for chicks and I'm sure that what we are gonna get.

wondermega

Saw the original in the theater, barely recall it. Maybe worth a rewatch? Like so many, I felt the film was decent but the soundtrack was absolutely pivotal.

As for this? Trailer looked fine, nothing that I care about and not likely that I'll bother with it, but unlike most folks talking about it, I am not offended by its existence. I think it's a little wacky when people get so worked up that these reimaginings are somehow voiding the existence of the older work. If you dig that old film -especially something like the Crow which has a decent following - it really is never in danger of going away. And if the new film is just garbage, then it will come and go just like everything else and eventually get washed away with time, leaving only the original for people to remember and care about. And on the off chance that it's actually any GOOD, then even better - as fans you get a new thing to enjoy!

Makes me think of Robocop and Total Recall, two similarly iconic films from my youth. Both got remade a bunch of years ago, each of which have been hastily forgotten while the OGs still enjoy plenty of nostalgia today. Actually I kinda want to see the Total Recall re-do, it does look a bit interesting..

This feels off on a lot of levels. I don’t get a true love vibe off of these characters at all. Feels more like a MGK & Megan Fox love story 😄. The set designs are too clean and borrowed from John Wick franchise. Like the main actor but I wouldn’t put money on this to be a “good” movie, let alone a classic.

FunkMiller

No, no, no, no!

The Crow is a meditation on anger, grief and loss, for crying out loud. It's meant to be O'Barr's way of dealing with the absolute impotence he felt in the face of random, unfair death.

Shelley and Eric were murdered by thugs. Not in some grand fucking idiotic supernatural conspiracy.

This looks and feels completely off, because they've turned it into a full blown action movie.

Garbage.

Top Bottom