• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disaster of Redfall (GVMERS)

nani17

are in a big trouble

download.jpg

Last edited:

feynoob

Gold Member
When you have a publisher forcing a dev making a game which they don't like, this is what you get. A Frankenstein monster of a game.

Phil and matt booty could have prevented this disaster. But when you have 80+ metacritic inhouse review, then something is clearly wrong there.

fart town usa

Gold Member
When you have a publisher forcing a dev making a game which they don't like, this is what you get. A Frankenstein monster of a game.

Phil and matt booty could have prevented this disaster. But when you have 80+ metacritic inhouse review, then something is clearly wrong there.
No.

Arkane could have owned it and made a quality title. Releasing a broken turd is 100% on Arkane.

No.

Arkane could have owned it and made a quality title. Releasing a broken turd is 100% on Arkane.
Has anyone ever asked you to work on a project for which you had no experience, skill, or interest? Something completely unrelated to your talents and those of your colleagues? And during the course of this work, did your company end up losing employees because they didn't want to be on this project?

And to make matters worse, you had already warned that 1) you wouldn't be able to handle it; 2) it was turning out terribly and it would be better to cancel.
Have you ever had this experience?

fart town usa

Gold Member
It's better if you actually bother to read the real story.

Arkane workers begged Phil and others to reconsider the game. They didn't care. Zenimax forced this shit on them.
No one forced them to develop a busted game. That's the point. They may have hated looter shooters but they could have made something worthwhile. They worked on a game for years and it was a busted mess. That's on them.
Has anyone ever asked you to work on a project for which you had no experience, skill, or interest? Something completely unrelated to your talents and those of your colleagues? And during the course of this work, did your company end up losing employees because they didn't want to be on this project?

And to make matters worse, you had already warned that 1) you wouldn't be able to handle it; 2) it was turning out terribly and it would be better to cancel.
Have you ever had this experience?
Yes, I have been in countless situations like that. It's called life. Rise to the occasion or suffer the consequences. It's not fair but it is what it is.

Last edited:

feynoob

Gold Member
No one forced them to develop a busted game. That's the point. They may have hated looter shooters but they could have made something worthwhile. They worked on a game for years and it was a busted mess. That's on them.

Yes, I have been in countless situations like that. It's called life. Rise to the occasion or suffer the consequences. It's not fair but it is what it is.
The zenimax management literally wanted them to work on this game.

I agree
But what I wanted to say was that it was bound to fail since the leadership lacked common sense/vision
its not like they did not want to make a good game

fart town usa

Gold Member
The zenimax management literally wanted them to work on this game.

I know. Everyone knows.

It has nothing to do with the busted state of Redfall at launch.

It was their job to develop a worthwhile game. Blaming others is an infantile excuse that will get you nowhere in life. They developed it. It's a shame, I'm not trashing the developers and it sucks that the studio closed but the responsibility is on them because they could have been professional and come together as a team and made something they could proudly stand behind. Unfortunately that didn't happen.

feynoob

Gold Member
I know. Everyone knows.

It has nothing to do with the busted state of Redfall at launch.

It was their job to develop a worthwhile game. Blaming others is an infantile excuse that will get you nowhere in life. They developed it. It's a shame, I'm not trashing the developers and it sucks that the studio closed but the responsibility is on them because they could have been professional and come together as a team and made something they could proudly stand behind. Unfortunately that didn't happen.
It literally does everything.

Zenimax forced a single player dev to make a MP game, which they literally have 0 experience on it.

The staff wanted MS to stop the game and salvage the development. They didn't and turn a blind eye.

Mossybrew

Gold Member
It's time to let Redfall go. Let it fade from memory, pass from the story of our times into forgotten legend.

fart town usa

Gold Member
It literally does everything.

Zenimax forced a single player dev to make a MP game, which they literally have 0 experience on it.

The staff wanted MS to stop the game and salvage the development. They didn't and turn a blind eye.
Picture yourself as a studio head, an ex-developer from Arkane Austin applies, you ask them about Redfall and what they learned from it. The ex-Arkane Austin developer starts parroting the things you're saying.

You'd have to be a complete fool to hire that person; someone who is diverting all responsibility to the publishers who funded the game. In a situation like Redfall, it is absolutely child-like to point the finger at others when the game released in such a terrible state. It wasn't even playable at launch, that has nothing to do with a SP focused dev being forced to make a MP game.

I can only assume you are a high schooler who has never had to work a serious job. Being asked to do things you aren't confidently trained on, or being tasked with things that seem overwhelming is life in general. Like I said earlier, you either rise to the occasion or don't. It sucks but it is what it is. In Arkane Austin's case, they had years of development, millions of dollars provided, a delay, and they still released an unfinished game. That is completely on them.

feynoob

Gold Member
Picture yourself as a studio head, an ex-developer from Arkane Austin applies, you ask them about Redfall and what they learned from it. The ex-Arkane Austin developer starts parroting the things you're saying.

You'd have to be a complete fool to hire that person; someone who is diverting all responsibility to the publishers who funded the game. In a situation like Redfall, it is absolutely child-like to point the finger at others when the game released in such a terrible state. It wasn't even playable at launch, that has nothing to do with a SP focused dev being forced to make a MP game.

I can only assume you are a high schooler who has never had to work a serious job. Being asked to do things you aren't confidently trained on, or being tasked with things that seem overwhelming is life in general. Like I said earlier, you either rise to the occasion or don't. It sucks but it is what it is. In Arkane Austin's case, they had years of development, millions of dollars provided, a delay, and they still released an unfinished game. That is completely on them.
I don't need to picture shit.

The reality is, the board gave an impossible task to them. Especially with how fallout 76 turned out to be.

Top Bottom