• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2011/2012 Off-Season Thread |OT| The Year of the Red Bull

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Fantastic insight into the Hamilton family, it's very rare to see such a documentary in this day and age delving into a Formula 1 driver's life. Well done BBC.

mblitek

Edmond Dantès;35791240 said:
Fantastic insight into the Hamilton family, it's very rare to see such a documentary in this day and age delving into a Formula 1 driver's life. Well done BBC.

What documentary? "Life in the Fast Lane" is the only one I know of and I haven't seen it either.

Someone murdered their car?

that made me laugh, definitely a possibility… Maybe Alonso stole some documents and took them to a Barcelona copying and printing store…

Dibbz

Edmond Dantès;35791240 said:

Just watched it. Great stuff. Touching to see how the family is really close and helpful.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Word on Twitter that Ferrari have redesigned their sidepods and put the car through the required crash tests.

Also, from the same source, saying that more teams are repeating the front crash tests which we has to mean they have redesigned the front wing, nose area already..

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Word on Twitter that Ferrari have redesigned their sidepods and put the car through the required crash tests.

Also, from the same source, saying that more teams are repeating the front crash tests which we has to mean they have redesigned the front wing, nose area already..

It looks like derivate info from Gazzeto dello Sport (printed version), where they are stating that Ferrari is working on chasis redesign around sidepods - this require another FIA crashtest.

Adamm

Hopefully these changes work for Ferrari & they are fighting for a podium finish in Australia.

And Ive chose my team for F1racemanager! Hopefully I wont fall behind at the start and spend the rest of the year playing catch up like last year :(

Dead Man

Hopefully these changes work for Ferrari & they are fighting for a podium finish in Australia.

And Ive chose my team for F1racemanager! Hopefully I wont fall behind at the start and spend the rest of the year playing catch up like last year :(

I have chosen my team, but I will still fall behind:(

TylerD

Probably a dumb question but for those of us who have no access to Sky Sports F1 programming, there isn't anything to prevent certain unscrupulous individuals from offering up live streams on the usual sites for us to search out is there?

I am really going to miss being able to fire up good ole BBC player for every race on the calendar.

olore

Hamilton WDC and Mclaren WCC 2012. You heard it here first, ladies and gents.

One could hope. Barring that at least a tighter fight between all the big birds of prey.

ED: I haven´t really delved into the Haynes Titanic book yet, just leafed through it. The text is reasonable accurate and detailed considering the subject matter is long sunk and records is scarce. There are a lot of b/w photos of it during it´s construction. The author admit that they in some portions of the text are describing the Titanics sister ship Olympic and making assumptions that the Titanic was constructed in the same way. Overall though a very interesting insight into the ship that almost floated above the laws of physics...

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Probably a dumb question but for those of us who have no access to Sky Sports F1 programming, there isn't anything to prevent certain unscrupulous individuals from offering up live streams on the usual sites for us to search out is there?

I am really going to miss being able to fire up good ole BBC player for every race on the calendar.
I don't think there's anything Sky can do to prevent people from putting up streams of the coverage. Whether there's something similar to the BBC-Player for the Sky coverage... I'm not really sure.

Adamm

Apart from the Law.....no

There are legeal steams if you can find some one to give you their Sky Go login details, as its allowed to be shared on 2 devices.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Crap, I think I need to join that. Is there anything I need to know? I literally have no idea how it works.
You and me both mate. Never actually tried one of these things but why not start this year?
You pick a team which comprises of two drivers, one chassis, one engine and one fuel manufacturer with the money you're initially given. The elements of your chosen team accumulate points throughout a race weekend and the season depending on how their real life counterparts do. You can upgrade the individual elements of your team throughout the season with the prize money you're given after each race weekend. You can change your team up until qualifying, from that point on you're stuck with the team you have. Keeping an eye on the practice sessions is therefore quite important to really judge where everyone is pace wise. There's also a bonus question each race weekend, where you earn a sum of money if you answer it correctly and bets which allow you to make some extra cash on top by predicting certain things (race winner, pole position, who retires first etc). The top three this year get a championship winners cap. There's also a sub-league competition against other leagues. We finished first in our debut season and second last year. We've beaten the autosport forums league two years running.

And finally the league was set-up by Subzero9285 originally and he's still the league manager I think.

That's pretty much everything you need to know.

Shaneus

Ah, cheers! I was thinking I'd be tempted to go favourites and pick maybe, say, Petrov and Ricciardo, but if there's an entire league thing at stake should I be more conservative?

And do we compete against each other or just as teams against teams?

Dead Man

Ah, cheers! I was thinking I'd be tempted to go favourites and pick maybe, say, Petrov and Ricciardo, but if there's an entire league thing at stake should I be more conservative?

Both. We have an intra team ladder, and each team competes against the rest.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White

As Dead Man said.

Adamm

Pick who you want, I dont think anyone will mind. But if you stick with those 2 drivers for the whole thing then dont expect to get near the top :p

S. L.

S. L.'s super tips said:
Some general pointers for new players:
First of all, if you want to change your team after a weekend, there is a selling penalty called Broker Fee. The percentage of that fee depends on how high you are in the rankings, but generally it gives a pretty big penalty up to 10%. Which means: PLAN LONG TERM! If you switch up your complete team from race to race the broker fee will eat up any extra winnings you make. If you think your Sauber chassi won’t do any good for the next race but will do fine the following races just sit it out, you just can’t earn back that much money you lose by switching back and forth for one race.
If you invest in your team your priorities should be Chassi/Engine/Fuel first and the drivers last. This is because Fuel will count double or triple for BOTH drivers and all teams included, and Engine/Chassi will count double for both drivers in the team. Since fuel is cheap you might want to get it to the ‘best’ fuel asap.
You can look up the scoring table here:
http://f1racemanager.com/faqrules.asp

Also don't forget to answer bonus questions between the race weekends and bets before the races for a little extra cash.

How does the subleague competition work?
Last year the subleague score was calculated by the average of the top six scorers after a race; so it is pretty much impossible to sabotage subleagues in the competition by deliberately playing poorly.

Name/Password for our subleague is: NeoGAF/ gaffers

some tips for playing f1racemanager

Shaneus

Well, I have joined. Big prize for he who guesses which one (unless you can tell usernames behind teams, in which case, no prize).

Edit: You can see join date. There goes that bit of fun :(

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
#skyf1
Lots of people have asked about the title music we'll be using. Today we'll be revealing all. So any final guesses?
It won't be as iconic as The Chain, but Sky are normally very good at picking music. Their superior football coverage is testament to that.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Sky Sports F1 reveals iPad app.

AnX--ToCEAAX1mg.jpg

http://www.whathifi.com/news/sky-sports-f1-hd-channel-launches-on-new-sky-sports-for-ipad-app

Sky's F1 studio:

3_1331119042_Screen%20shot%202012-03-07%20at%2011.13.58.png

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Does this mean that are not going to be down pitside like BBC was?
Or is this for other F1 programming?
Other programming. They'll have a team at races just like the BBC.

It'll be pretty awkward when they cross paths, especially Martin and Jake and co.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Something to look forward to this weekend if you like season reviews and Ayrton Senna.
Sat 10 March:

12pm F1 Season Review 1988
4pm F1 Season Review 1989
8pm F1 Season Review 2011 - part 1
9.15pm F1 Season Review 2011 - part 2

Sun 11 March:

12pm F1 Season Review 1990
4pm F1 Season Review 1991
8pm F1 Season Review 2011 - part 3

Upscaled classic F1 footage of some of the greatest seasons in F1 history.

Lovely

Adamm

Edmond Dantès;35806277 said:
Something to look forward to this weekend if you like season reviews and Ayrton Senna.

Upscaled classic F1 footage of some of the greatest seasons in F1 history.

Lovely
Yeah was looking through the programme list this week. I could literally watch that channel non-stop all weekend.

(Gonna get my monies worth!)

Lucius86

Banned
Well, I have joined. Big prize for he who guesses which one (unless you can tell usernames behind teams, in which case, no prize).

Edit: You can see join date. There goes that bit of fun :(

Without looking at join date - Manwithaduck Engineering?

Nah I doubt it. They seemed like good mates. I bet they're still on good terms.

Aye. I'm looking forward to their first grid walk encounter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom