• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The hype around Starfield is massive, and growing.

Draugoth

Gold Member
The game is truly spacetaking, i've been playing it over the past kalpa, you can clearly see Elon Musk genious touch all over the game for sure ever since he did that collab with Bethesda,

The most impressive of all is that the game is completely bug free, expect on Terminus and Ageolda where the inhabitants ask you to kill some for them,

I think it might have some extra positive chance points of winning GOTY 2023 over Diablo IV

s4zBI9A.jpeg

Here is my character below, i put 16 times the amount of care making him than i did on Fallout 4, i think the looks breathtaking:

4Stxl3a.jpeg

How? Are people on Xbox just gonna buy it even when it's on game pass?

Can't see this selling 20 million on pc.
Skyrim has sold over 60million lifetime sales I don't think it's a reach to think the PC version has sold over 20 million on its own. Obviously GP will affect sales of Starfield but I don't think it will affect them as much as one would believe. My opinion is Starfield will become more popular than Skyrim, this is a huge release make no mistake about it.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The game is truly spacetaking, i've been playing it over the past kalpa, you can clearly see Elon Musk genious touch all over the game for sure ever since he did that collab with Bethesda,

The most impressive of all is that the game is completely bug free, expect on Terminus and Ageolda where the inhabitants ask you to kill some for them,

I think it might have some extra positive chance points of winning GOTY 2023 over Diablo IV

s4zBI9A.jpeg

Here is my character below, i put 16 times the amount of care making him than i did on Fallout 4, i think the looks breathtaking:

4Stxl3a.jpeg
Is that Saturn or Ur-Anus there? :)

Wulfer

Well dang, do I support a title I want or expect every game to be free? Hmm supporting games I want so, I get more or be a leech. It's a hard choice... Cotton I think I'll take option A. Lets see how it works out.

Vox Machina

Banned
I feel like this game is going to get a lot of crossover into people who normally don't make video games a hobby of theirs. I reached out to a couple of people on Twitter I follow who are focused on space content and never post anything remote close to video game content and asked them if they are interested in the game and quite a number of them were!

Perrott

It will have 50 million players within 18 months.
Not a stretch to think that 20 million will buy it.
The Xbox Series install base is smaller than that of the Xbox One in the similar period of time since launch. On top of that you have Game Pass butchering the sales, not only on Xbox but on PC as well, which is the platform where Game Pass is the most popular, meaning that Steam sales are going to be very hurt as well.

Cyberpunk 2077, which was in much better shape on PC than it was on consoles, has only done 20M in over 32 months since launch across all platforms. So PC sales for CDPR's latest must be in the ballpark of 8-12M, being very generous. And that's for a game which was never made available on any subscription service.

So 20 million sales? No fucking way.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I wonder if SKU from codes will unlock at the same time as digital purchases. For those with codes, I hope so. Waiting for your game to unlock while the whole world is already playing is not fun.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'm just wrapping up an outer worlds playthrough in perfect timing. Have a week off of just playing easy jump in and out stuff. Followed by two weeks vacation!

I'm getting more excited by each day...

Is this Christmas?

The Xbox Series install base is smaller than that of the Xbox One in the similar period of time since launch. On top of that you have Game Pass butchering the sales, not only on Xbox but on PC as well, which is the platform where Game Pass is the most popular, meaning that Steam sales are going to be very hurt as well.

Cyberpunk 2077, which was in much better shape on PC than it was on consoles, has only done 20M in over 32 months since launch across all platforms. So PC sales for CDPR's latest must be in the ballpark of 8-12M, being very generous. And that's for a game which was never made available on any subscription service.

You are going to be surprised.
There are a out 25 million XSXS out there.
You have about 135 million active users on Steam. Bethesda is one of the highest rated PC centric developers out there, so this will easily be one of the biggest selling games on PC.
Diablo 3 sold over 30 million copies on PC alone, and Starfield will have more mass appeal on PC than Diablo does.
While Gamepass will take away some sales for sure, you also have to add those users into the sales equation. There are also a ton of people paying for early access on top of their GP subscription cost.
MS pulls in between 4-5 Billion a year in subscriptions, which is people paying for their games in a different way.
This game is going to make a shit ton of money.

Ozriel

M$FT

Aside from the fact that the assumption that everyone is on Gamepass and nobody will buy Starfield on Xbox is mistaken, you’re also completely neglecting bundles which will count as sales.

I don’t see any scenario where Starfield comes out to great reviews and doesn’t sell millions on Xbox.

Hard to take your analysis serious when you claim GamePass is more popular on PC than console, or that historically Steam sales are significantly impacted by PC Gamepass.

Cyberpunk 2077 also sold approx 10.2 million copies in slightly over one year on PC alone

PuVRB7P.png

And much of this was under a cloud of bad reviews on Steam.

Dazraell

Cyberpunk 2077 also sold approx 10.2 million copies in slightly over one year on PC alone

PuVRB7P.png

And much of this was under a cloud of bad reviews on Steam.

No one denies that Starfield will sell millions, but let's be real here. Starfield is a new IP and is skipping one major platform on launch, which means more limited playerbase. GamePass will also definitely impact game sales. Microsoft themselves admitted game sales decrease because of GamePass during recent trial about Activision Blizzard's acquisition, so it's hardly a hot take

Also, if we follow data you showed, the game sold only slightly over 3 millions of copies on Xbox One in a year, which had much higher userbase than Xbox Series. Data from the chart also includes people who bought it for PS5 and Xbox Series as these versions were forward-compatible with new consoles

If i download starfield with gamepass ultimate, then buy the premium edition upgrade, do i fully own the game? (meaning, if i let my gamepass subscription lapse, i can still play it)
You own the full game sort of as long as you have GP or GP exists. If MS decides to stop GP for any reason in the future you’d have to buy the base game, but that chance is pretty small, and the chance that you’ll still be playing the game by that time is even smaller.

PanzerCute

I dont know and dont care about the others, but I'm hyped AF to play this game. This looks insane on almost every level.

foamdino

Looking forward to it. Going to grab it on PC when I get back home. I still think that the console version may not be the best and I expect there to be bugs galore (hopefully funny ones like being yeeted into orbit). But since Fallout games do nothing for me and Skyrim/Oblivion were watered down for consoles, my hope is that there's enough in this to satisfy my TES/Morrowind itch.

Ozriel

M$FT
No one denies that Starfield will sell millions, but let's be real here. Starfield is a new IP and is skipping one major platform on launch, which means more limited playerbase. GamePass will also definitely impact game sales. Microsoft themselves admitted game sales decrease because of GamePass during recent trial about Activision Blizzard's acquisition, so it's hardly a hot take

Can you please point out where I - or anyone else - claimed that it won’t sell less as a result of skipping PlayStation?

Or have you heard anyone claim GamePass won’t impact sales?

What I find illogical is claims (like the one I provided a rebuttal to) that the game will sell little or nothing on Console.

Also, if we follow data you showed, the game sold only slightly over 3 millions of copies on Xbox One in a year, which had much higher userbase than Xbox Series. Data from the chart also includes people who bought it for PS5 and Xbox Series as these versions were forward-compatible with new consoles

Again, you’re not looking at these things in the right context. We’re talking about the same game that launched to terrible reviews on last gen consoles. So it’s absolutely no surprise that sales were muted, and sales slowed significantly in 2021.

Mephisto40

I'd honestly be surprised if less than 5% of people playing this game on console actually pay full price for the game

And most people playing on PC will probably just buy a months worth of Xbox Gold rather than pay full price for it, any sensible person would anyway

Topher

Gold Member
I'd honestly be surprised if less than 5% of people playing this game on console actually pay full price for the game

And most people playing on PC will probably just buy a months worth of Xbox Gold rather than pay full price for it, any sensible person would anyway

I disagree with that. I expect to be playing Starfield for years just like I have with Skyrim and Oblivion. Plenty of games make sense to pay for a subscription, but I don't think Starfield is one of them. Not for me anyway.

They just got paid $7B and it came with a bonus QA department.

Didn't help Redfall much.

Last edited:
I'll still not understand why this game was 'chosen' by the masses to be hyped to begin with. Just another Beth game that'll be a buggy mess like the past titles from them.
MS badly need a big exclusive for their consoles. The Xbox'ers badly need a big exclusive to play on their consoles.

Last edited:

Mephisto40

I disagree with that. I expect to be playing Starfield for years just like I have with Skyrim and Oblivion. Plenty of games make sense to pay for a subscription, but I don't think Starfield is one of them.
It makes sense to play it on a subscription you already own and then buy it when you stop paying for said subscription later down the line if it really is something people will play for years, when the game is most likely going to be significantly cheaper

I don't really understand this mentality of "I'll pay full price to support the developer" either, shouldn't Microsoft be supporting their developers, they shouldn't need to be relying on charity from customers to make their games sustainable on gamepass

Last edited:
Top Bottom