• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part 1 on PC; another casualty added to the list of bad ports?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Currently sitting at 40% on Steam user reviews, ouch!

sglDILm.png

Among the most commonly cited problems are: Frequent crashes, jittery camera movement with the mouse, excessive VRAM usage, and overall poor performance with high-end hardware.

Apparently, Naughty Dog has handled this one in-house but I wonder how much they were involved given that the system requirements page has Iron Galaxy's logo on it. Iron Galaxy's Uncharted 4 PC port was alright, not great but passable with the only issues being the jittery mouse movements...and extreme demands compared to the PS5 version.

Last edited:

kingyala

Banned

Among the most commonly cited problems are: Frequent crashes, jittery camera movement with the mouse, excessive VRAM usage, and overall poor performance with high-end hardware.

Apparently, Naughty Dog has handled this one in-house but I wonder how much they were involved given that the system requirements page has Iron Galaxy's logo on it. Iron Galaxy's Uncharted 4 PC port was alright, not great but passable with the only issues being the jittery mouse movements...and extreme demands compared to the PS5 version.
excessie vram usage! what did you expect its a ps5 remake its obviously going to tank the memory budgets and this is expected any gpu with less than 12gb and 32gb system ram is not compatible going forward

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The vram usage makes no sense. The PS5 has a total of 13 GB reserved for games, 13.5 GB if we go by XSX's allocation. My PC has 10 GB of VRAM and 32 GB. They should be able to stream data in and out of that smaller vram pool. Should be way better than getting it from the SSD like they do on PS5.

The game doesnt even use RT like Gotham Knights, Dead Space, Callisto, Hogwarts and RE4, no idea why vram usage is so high here.

If my 3080 which is 2x more powerful than the PS5 runs the game at medium settings because of the vram limitations then thats just fucked up.

Last edited:

squarealex

sglDILm.png

Just the PS5 effect with SSD I/O

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I'm more shocked over steams definition of similar games when I check it on the store.

Screenshot-20230328-202003.jpg

I mean. I think I only made it about half way through on ps4, but I wouldn't say there's similarities behind these two games gameplay wise.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The vram usage makes no sense. The PS5 has a total of 13 GB reserved for games, 13.5 GB if we go by XSX's allocation. My PC has 10 GB of VRAM and 32 GB. They should be able to stream data in and out of that smaller vram pool. Should be way better than getting it from the SSD like they do on PS5.

The game doesnt even use RT like Gotham Knights, Dead Space, Callisto, Hogwarts and RE4, no idea why vram usage is so high here.

If my 3080 which is 2x more powerful than the PS5 runs the game at medium settings because of the vram limitations then thats just fucked up.
So you're saying 4090 fixes the problem?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I find it funny that prior to these consoles launching, some PC users were saying, "just run 128GB of RAM to get around the SSD/IO/Decompression advantages on the PS5. Problem solved." VFX guy was notorious for this narrative.

Now, it doesn't seem to make sense anymore. I feel like I am taking crazy pills every other narrative shifting on this forum.

Meanwhile, there were those of us saying we like that these new consoles will raise the min-spec bar in the PC arena once the current-gen built games get ported.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

The game uses around 12GB. It's not excessive.
The PS5 has 16GB, with a unified memory system.
The issue is that NVidia has been so cheap with memory, to force people to upgrade much sooner.

giSvitk.jpg
PS5 has 16 GB total and if its anything like last gen, its actually only 13 GB for games. Of course, we dont know because sony has kept it top secret for some reason. XSX uses 2.5 GB. So at best, it has 13.5 GB available and it needs to split that with the CPU tasks as well. also your screenshot shows 16 GB vram plus 22 GB system ram. A PS5 game that can run on 13 GB of RAM shouldnt need 38 GB of RAM on PC. THats just poor optimization.

winjer

Gold Member
I find it funny that prior to these consoles launching, some PC users were saying, "just run 128GB of RAM to get around the SSD/IO/Decompression advantages on the PS5. Problem solved." VFX guy was notorious for this narrative.

Now, it doesn't seem to make sense anymore. I feel like I am taking crazy pills every other narrative shifting on this forum.

You do realize that vram and ram are different things?
One thing is to cache data on ram, instead of fetching from the SSD. Another thing is to cache data on vram.
An SSD, even the one on the PS5 is much slower than DDR4, both on latency and bandwidth.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You do realize that vram and ram are different things?
One thing is to cache data on ram, instead of fetching from the SSD. Another thing is to cache data on vram.
An SSD, even the one on the PS5 is much slower than DDR4, both on latency and bandwidth.
You Dont Say The Big Lebowski GIF

I didn't invent the argument that was being propagated back then in those threads. Just repeating how the tides always change on here.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'd be wary to call the game "VRAM hungry" and rather go after Nvidia for being too reluctant to put a decent amount of it on their GPUs, I'm sure AMD won't have that issue on their mid range cards

winjer

Gold Member
PS5 has 16 GB total and if its anything like last gen, its actually only 13 GB for games. Of course, we dont know because sony has kept it top secret for some reason. XSX uses 2.5 GB. So at best, it has 13.5 GB available and it needs to split that with the CPU tasks as well. also your screenshot shows 16 GB vram plus 22 GB system ram. A PS5 game that can run on 13 GB of RAM shouldnt need 38 GB of RAM on PC. THats just poor optimization.

You are right that the game is poorly optimized. And I mistook the vram reading for the ram reading. My bad.
But still, that is running with other things on the background. That's why ram is so high.
But in the case of vram, we have to consider that it's running at 4K, with higher settings than the PS5.

MadPanda

Banned
I'm more shocked over steams definition of similar games when I check it on the store.

I mean. I think I only made it about half way through on ps4, but I wouldn't say there's similarities behind these two games gameplay wise.
Similar to games you've played, not similar to this particular game.

winjer

Gold Member
You Dont Say The Big Lebowski GIF

I didn't invent the argument that was being propagated back then in those threads. Just repeating how the tides always change on here.

From what I remember, the thing that was proposed at the time, was that since the PC is bottlenecked by not having Direct Storage (at the time), devs could cache more data into ram.
Thus instead of fetching from the SSD, it would fetch data from ram, which is much faster than any SSD, including the one of the PS5.
But be it on the PS5 or the PC, it has nothing to do with caching data on vram.

Pelao

Post-apocalyptic Boston.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
LOL it doesn't use that much RAM maxed out (12GB). 10GB in 2023 tho and wanting to max from systems that have 16GB unified, good luck.
LOL at you fools looking like even more fools when they patch this shit up and everyones going to be happy even people with less VRAM. LOL imagine thinking a linear game requires more VRAM than an open-world game with full raytracing on.

Cmon.

Playing PlayStation games on PC is like ordering a steak at a Mexican restaurant.

Sure, it's passable, but if you want the best experience, go to where they're known for steak. Similarly, don't order the enchiladas at the steak restaurant.

We've seen this over and over. Sony makes games for PlayStation hardware. Later, thet get them to run on PC. But, it's clearly not the focus.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
LOL at you fools looking like even more fools when they patch this shit up and everyones going to be happy even people with less VRAM. LOL imagine thinking a linear game requires more VRAM than an open-world game with full raytracing on.

Cmon.
Yeah, they will have to scale back on some things, probably. But 12GB is not obscene for a maxed out current-gen engine/game.

PC gamers are funny. Constantly credit their hardware when they can run a game as they desire, but blame everything except their hardware when they can't.
boom smile GIF

Kataploom

Gold Member
The game uses around 12GB. It's not excessive.
The PS5 has 16GB, with a unified memory system.
The issue is that NVidia has been so cheap with memory, to force people to upgrade much sooner.

giSvitk.jpg
That sole reason makes me suggest AMD more these days, my card is for 1440p yet I can play many games at 4K at or above 60 fps easily due to VRAM and infinite cache to compensate the bandwidth, Nvidia is no doubt better at the highest end and RT, but that's it

Last edited:

ClosBSAS

lmao wtf do you ppl have on your pcs man? do you clean them? do a fresh install every 6 months? thats what i do and my shit is running smooth as fuck.

Flabagast

As soon as we switch to full-on next gen games a LOT of PC will suffer (lmao at people playing at max graphics on games running on a 2013 Xbox one shitty hardware crying when it's not the same for current gen, what are they thinking ?)

Prepare your wallets & at least 1,000$ in it guys, this one will be painful.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
As soon as we switch to full-on next gen games a LOT of PC will suffer (lmao at people playing at max graphics on games running on a 2013 Xbox one shitty hardware crying when it's not the same for current gen, what are they thinking ?)

Prepare your wallets & at least 1,000$ in it guys, this one will be painful.
Curb Your Enthusiasm Bingo GIF by Jason Clarke

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
PS5 runs the game at 1440p resolution most of the time, so what is the VRAM usage at this same resolution?

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Yeah, they will have to scale back on some things, probably
Nah, they wont. VRAM requirements can easily be optimized. They prolly used a ton of uncompressed textures instead of optimizing them without any visual loss. Its just lazy work which considering who did the port, makes sense. If the game at PS5 graphic levels consumes more than 12, it's pretty bad. Most maxed out games this gen should not surpass 10gb and I mean vram per process not allocated. No idea if in that screenshot or the complaints are about the game allocating too much or using too much.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Nah, they wont. VRAM requirements can easily be optimized. They prolly used a ton of uncompressed textures instead of optimizing them without any visual loss. Its just lazy work which considering who did the port, makes sense. If the game at PS5 graphic levels consumes more than 12, it's pretty bad. Most maxed out games this gen should not surpass 10gb and I mean vram per process not allocated. No idea if in that screenshot or the complaints are about the game allocating too much or using too much.
NS04Ny04OS5qcGc

SlimySnake

Meanwhile, there were those of us saying we like that these new consoles will raise the min-spec bar in the PC arena once the current-gen built games get ported.
Dude I was there with you. No one has shilled Cerny's road to ps5 slides than i have on this board.

But this is not a new problem. PCs have system ram that should be used to transfer data in and out vram without having to go to the SSD every time like the PS5 does. Cerny made his IO to get around these limitations, but this is something most PC games should already be doing. If sony wants to be taken seriously in the gaming space then they have to program their ports around PC architectures. 10 GB vs 13 GB isnt as large a difference as last gen when most GTX 500 series cards only had 1GB of vram and PS5 shipped with 8GB with 5 available for games.

In fact, I remember the GTX 970 which had that vram fiasco ran the games 2x better than the PS4 despite having just 3 GB available for games after the nvidia fuck up. Thats almost half what the PS4 had available for games. If a 2x more powerful GPU like the 3080 is being vram limited than its simply not an optimized port. And yes, fuck nvidia as well for releasing this card with just 10 GB of ram.

Top Bottom