• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part 1 on PC; another casualty added to the list of bad ports?

Thebonehead

Banned
Playing PlayStation games on PC is like ordering a steak at a Mexican restaurant.

Sure, it's passable, but if you want the best experience, go to where they're known for steak. Similarly, don't order the enchiladas at the steak restaurant.

We've seen this over and over. Sony makes games for PlayStation hardware. Later, thet get them to run on PC. But, it's clearly not the focus.

So Argentinian steakhouse then

Or on the steak deck

Danknugz

where are all the pc gamers who actually want to play this game though? i thought this game was just kind of like a showcase for PS5 and a lot of playstation gamers love it. but is it actually something that people who don't already own a ps4/ps5 care about?

Solarstrike

Gold Member
If running at higher than 2560x1440p, don't need to have sharpening at maximum settings. Nor AA (anti-aliasing). At near 4k resolution in this game, having BOTH AA and sharpening On at maximum settings will bottleneck the
CPU/GPU into oblivion. Further, any sort of Volumetric/Raymarch cloud shit turn that Off or to Low.

Last edited:

zeroluck

No problem, plays like a dream on 4090, only complain so far is that there seems to be aggressive sharpening that can't be turn off.

SolidQ

The issue is that NVidia has been so cheap with memory, to force people to upgrade much sooner.
never understand people when new consoles arrives, people buyed like GTX 680/780 with 2\3gb in PS4 era, RTX 3060ti/3070/3080 with 8/10gig in PS5 era. Because is green label NVIDIA? I'm understand NVIDIA have strong brainwash marketing.
That video show reality. 780ti was faster at start, and then :messenger_tears_of_joy: Same will happen with 3060ti/3070/3080

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dude I was there with you. No one has shilled Cerny's road to ps5 slides than i have on this board.

But this is not a new problem. PCs have system ram that should be used to transfer data in and out vram without having to go to the SSD every time like the PS5 does. Cerny made his IO to get around these limitations, but this is something most PC games should already be doing. If sony wants to be taken seriously in the gaming space then they have to program their ports around PC architectures. 10 GB vs 13 GB isnt as large a difference as last gen when most GTX 500 series cards only had 1GB of vram and PS5 shipped with 8GB with 5 available for games.

In fact, I remember the GTX 970 which had that vram fiasco ran the games 2x better than the PS4 despite having just 3 GB available for games after the nvidia fuck up. Thats almost half what the PS4 had available for games. If a 2x more powerful GPU like the 3080 is being vram limited than its simply not an optimized port. And yes, fuck nvidia as well for releasing this card with just 10 GB of ram.
I agree for the most part, but 10 to 13 is a big difference if games are using 12 fully maxed. Scale your game back to your memory requirements. It's what we always had to do back in the day with GF 2,3,4 cards, etc,. We've just been spoiled on the PC side with 2013 games and memory footprints of 8GB unified 5.5-6GB effective all the way to 2023.

A lot of us were saying this was going to happen. IMO, 10 is going to show it's limitations, we've said this back in 2020 as well.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
never understand people when new consoles arrives, people buyed like GTX 680/780 with 2\3gb in PS4 era, RTX 3060ti/3070/3080 with 8/10gig in PS5 era. Because is green label NVIDIA? I'm understand NVIDIA have strong brainwash marketing.
That video show reality. 780ti was faster at start, and then :messenger_tears_of_joy: Same will happen with 3060ti/3070/3080

And now consider that nvidia plans to have only 8GB of vram, with an 8X PCIe bus, for the RTX 4060 and 4060Ti.
people will buy this crap, then complain games are not optimized. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Stuart360

You would of thought Sony would of given something like 'The Last of Us' to Nixxes, not fucking Iron Galaxy.
Having said that, Uncharted 4 had these similar problems and ran perfect for me at 1080p/60.

Midn1ght

This thread:

BDyG9vO.jpg
erection GIF

Lots of fanboy having a hard one right now. These people love bad PC ports, helps them feel secure about their purchase decisions.

Game will probably be fix quickly, just like every other Sony ports.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
What console gamer is running the game at 4k?
the game runs at native 4k 35-40 fps on the PS5.

Thats why I figured id be able to run it at 4k 60 fps on my 3080. I revised my expectations after Uncharted launched on PC and the 3070 was more or less performing like a PS5. But even then i figured 4k 40 fps would be on the cards. Did not realize vram would be this heavy.

Kataploom

Gold Member
PC gamers are funny. Constantly credit their hardware when they can run a game as they desire, but blame everything except their hardware when they can't.
Maybe because similarly looking or more complex games run with way less resource consumption on their PC?

I mean, this is a problem mostly present on Sony ports, they are just too resource heavy, and it's not because they look better or whatever, this game is heavier than AssCreed Valhalla which is heavy itself and it's an enormous open fully dynamic open world lol

The only reason I can think for this is PC port being second class citizen for PS, which I can understand, their main business is in consoles and PC is just too recoup some of the money spent.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Maybe because similarly looking or more complex games run with way less resource consumption on their PC?

I mean, this is a problem mostly present on Sony ports, they are just too resource heavy, and it's not because they look better or whatever, this game is heavier than AssCreed Valhalla which is heavy itself and it's an enormous open fully dynamic open world lol

The only reason I can think for this is PC port being second class citizen for PS, which I can understand, their main business is in consoles and PC is just too recoup some of the money spent.
Most ports are fine. The heavy ones are Spidey and Uncharted. It could be due to their engines being made for Playstation consoles. Death Stranding, Days Gone, GOW, Returnal, and all the others run fine.
i think this generation for xx6x NV/AMD should be minimum 10gb for 1080p
Nah.

1080p : 8GB
1440p: 10GB
4K: 12GB
4K+RT: 16GB

Should be that.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I dont see how this is possible, according to some "experts" on gaf, pc gaming is as plug and play as owning a console, and that anyone experiencing issues is an idiot who can't run a pc. This must therefore just be user error.

But seriously, I'm sure naughty dog will iron out any issues given a bit of time.

Stuart360

Most ports are fine. The heavy ones are Spidey and Uncharted. It could be due to their engines being made for Playstation consoles. Death Stranding, Days Gone, GOW, Returnal, and all the others run fine.
To be fair Miles Morales runs great, and is miles better than SpiderMan. In fact i'm not sure exactly why they couldnt use the Miles Morales improvements on the orig SpidrMan with it being basically the same game.

Kataploom

Gold Member

Nah.

Should be that.
You're right, but include Horizon in the list too, the game is too heavy for a PS4 port and was polemic on release iirc, maybe they should handle ports to the same team that made the Returnal port

Last edited:

SolidQ

4070ti already have problem with 12 gig in 4k. 12 good for 1440p

That is PS4 ports, but we talking about pure PS5 games. When crossgen period will be end, you will see more heavy games

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Nah.

Should be that.
I shouldve never returned my 12 GB 3080.

But the fucking thing was pulling 400-425 Watts and crashing in half of the games I played.

Oh well, time to upgrade.

embarrassed-sad.gif

Stuart360

To be fair the actual game is only using 10gb vram, at 1440p, and i assume max settings.
Its heavy but not overly so for a PS5 built port.

And like Deep said earlier, turn down settings if you need to, turn down resolution if you need to, swallow that pride. Eventually the game will be fixed, or at least in a better state.

Sleepwalker

Why are people pretending that the maxed out settings will look like what you get on console? I'm sure if you max it out on a pc that can, itll look better than PS5 fidelity at a higher framerate at 4k.

Top Bottom