• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part I - PS5 - Coming September 2 (PC version in development)

decisions

What part of the plot was changed exactly?

I was responding to a post which said that the trailer implied to them that the plot would be changed to better match the second game’s story. So I am reacting negatively to that idea, not saying that they definitely went ahead with it. We don’t know that yet.

Dorohedoro

It's a bit more than just Bryank uneased with a PC version xD but you guys are most likely right. I just wanted to see what thoughts from people outside the forums were WRT the announcement.

And it looks like the Firefly version has already sold out according to @remember_spinal 's post so that's a very good sign.

It's not just about graphics; fidelity, framerate, post-process effects, physics, enemy counts etc. were probably too much for PS4 to handle.

I bet the minimum specs for this on PC will be well beyond what a PS4 provides.
I would've accepted a downgrade in some aspects as long as it ran smoothly and still looked at least on par with TLoU2. But it looks like they just wanted to sell more PS5s... which is understandable since they aren't a charity but disappointing nonetheless. Of course they were always gonna kick the PS4 to the curb eventually like for their next major title, I was just hoping this would've been their last hurrah like Guerrilla with HFW and SSM with Ragnarok.

Last edited:

[Sigma]

No better than EA and Activision here. I can't believe they sat up there had this studio waste their time on this shit. Im disgusted Hermen allowed this
200.webp

ReBurn

Gold Member
If you've never played it before then this will probably be the way to do it. Not much hype from me for the third release, though. If you're a super fan of the series I could see this being exciting, though.

Last edited:
The one thing that'll make me bite this is if they drastically expand the environments and make them interesting to explore, like they did with part 2. If it's just a graphical upgrade it doesn't interest me that much and I'll just wait for when it hits PS+ Extra.
Probably not as the dialogue of the duo was contextual to where you were in the game ( the abandoned record store for example) . So you need more dialogue if the environments were larger thereby changing an aspect to the game's story. This is a 1:1 remake but with better combat.

kyliethicc

bitbydeath bitbydeath remember how you said this was a remake of Part 2, not Part 1

I think that’s what the rumour is about.
However it could just be a native PS5 remaster.
Why?

1. MP is coming to release alongside it.
2. TLOU1 doesn’t need a remake.
3. TLOU2 remake would continue the tradition of starting on one system and being redone for the other.

Now I also wouldn’t be surprised if they took this opportunity to retcon Joel’s death.
Why?

1. There’s a TV Show Pedro signed up for as the lead, and they’ll likely want that to continue for many seasons to come.
2. The same story would still work if Joel was beat badly/into a coma.
3. Almost everyone hates Abbey because of her actions, if she showed restraint it’d put her in a better light moving forward to TLOU3 and the audience the game may have lost would be more likely to return.

Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

Rykan

I'll pick it up when its on sale. It will probably be good, but its still the most unnecessary remake ever.

It's crazy that there will be now more versions of the first game than actual sequels. Least the box art is nice.

No better than EA and Activision here. I can't believe they sat up there had this studio waste their time on this shit. Im disgusted Hermen allowed this
200.webp
I'm glad they did it, I wanted a remake with the PS4 but all we got was a serviceable remaster. I want to be able to play both TLOU1 and TLOU2 with at least the same level of fidelity. The fact is this is a true remake not another remaster as some are saying. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy this and ND wouldn't have had another game ready any sooner if they hadn't worked on this. They just released TLOU2 two years ago, they are already working on an MP project so this was likely something to keep the rest of the team busy while the other game was early in development.

So there's no upgrade path? And 70$ for the Playstation fans who already has Remastered version? Fuck you Sony. I already owned and played the ps4 remaster. Not gonna spend a dime on this shit again.
I get your point but when was the last time any company offered an upgrade path for a Remake? I don't think that has ever happened.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i am up for them bring tlou in line with 2 in terms of graphics and performance but i hope they dont fuck around with the story. its fine as it is. its a good thing im waiting for the PC version. will give me time to check out reviews.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
200.webp
Herman didnt just allow it. He kinda forced it to happen. This was NOT a Naughty Dog project. It was VSG studio project. A support studio. After Herman came on, he saw the remake, wasnt impressed at all and asked why is it so expensive. Immediately after that, Naughty Dog started to take a bigger role and then completely took over the project after shipping TLOU2 forcing the VSG studio leads to quit and leave in protest. I fail to understand how wasting TWO full years of Naughty Dog's time is less expensive than a C-tier support studio's time.

Had they announced this game as a nice $40 budget title like the Ratchet remake, SOTC remake or Lost Legacy or had they bundled it with Factions and a PS5 TLOU2 remaster with ray tracing, the response wouldve been much more positive even at $70. $70 standalone makes it a Demon Souls quality title which it probably is, but again Demon Souls remake wasnt done by FromSoft. It's about expectations. People want Bloodborne 2 from FromSoft. People want a new IP from ND. A next gen balls to the ball showpiece.

Rea

I get your point but when was the last time any company offered an upgrade path for a Remake? I don't think that has ever happened.
I understand your point, but from the trailer, this game just looks like TLOU2 graphics with TLOU1 story and 60fps. Its not entirely new engine. Reused engine, Same dialogs, same music, etc.
At least demon's souls has redone mostly everything from scratch. But this game does not.

EDMIX

I fail to understand how wasting TWO full years of Naughty Dog's time is less expensive than a C-tier support studio's time.

Time is money my friend, you said it yourself "After Herman came on, he saw the remake, wasnt impressed at all" ....so spend money on a bad game? So yea, its a waste of money if the C-tier team is making a shit game, sir...if the product is SHIT, it is a waste of money, it means you won't get a better return and it makes sense to just get a better team like ND if part of that team is waiting for The Last Of Us 3 engine to be finished or something.

So its less expensive cause they are looking looking at a fucking flop now, they are looking at a solid, polished, day 1, unit moving machine. Big difference.

Had they announced this game as a nice $40 budget title like the Ratchet remake
More clearly went into such a remake and they don't see this as a budget game...

$70 standalone makes it a Demon Souls quality title which it probably is

True and Fromsoft not doing the remake is irrelevant to all this tbh.

People want Bloodborne 2 from FromSoft. People want a new IP from ND. A next gen balls to the ball showpiece.
So.,...JUST like FromSoft is working on different games, ALL OF ND is not fucking making this.

1 team is working on the online game
Team that did Uncharted 4 is working on the new IP
Team that did The Last Of Us 2 is working on the engine for Last Of Us 3
A team is working on this remake, as they fucking can't work on The Last Of Us 3 AS ITS ENGINE IS NOT DONE!

So saying people want a new IP from ND, is like asking the doorman to help fix the building or asking the janitor to make the big mac. Its making it sound as if every last person in ND is making this, when I see no evidence of any of that.

lachesis

I don't know - as I own PS3 ver (bought on day1 - but never got around to play, still in shrink wrap) & PS4 remaster (1st game I bought with my PS4 after divorce)

Not sure if I want to buy this remake, but may just get it if the price is at $9.99 or less in a deep discounted sale. I wonder if they are going to remaster this remake on PS6...

THEAP99

Banned
I understand your point, but from the trailer, this game just looks like TLOU2 graphics with TLOU1 story and 60fps. Its not entirely new engine. Reused engine, Same dialogs, same music, etc.
At least demon's souls has redone mostly everything from scratch. But this game does not.
So basically tlou 1 is being remade with assets & gameplay mechanics that don't exist in the original game and to you that's NOT a remake?! They're literally doing MORE than Bluepoint did with demon's souls

Lognor

Banned
Yeah $70 for all the Playstation fans? Fucking rip-off. I want to see how much it cost on Steam when the PC version comes out and how will the PC guys react if its 70$.
Have there been any $70 pc releases yet? I seem to recall one dev trying to do it but getting a huge backlash so they lowered it to $60.

If they do charge $10 less for the superior version though that would be hilarious.

Reactions: Rea
I think that they both made it more advanced but kind of broke the deliberate nature of the ambiance in some scenes (like the hospital, it feels completely different now).

The og looked pretty good, especially at 60fps on PS4.

boomcrab

I thought this remake wasn't all that necessary but after seeing it I think it looks pretty good!
PC players should be pretty happy with a full on remake coming their way if they never had the chance to play it themselves. They're not getting the ps4 remaster port but something much better. Lines up with sonys pc strategy. Masterpieces like these are what gets people in the ps ecosystem.

Rea

Have there been any $70 pc releases yet? I seem to recall one dev trying to do it but getting a huge backlash so they lowered it to $60.

If they do charge $10 less for the superior version though that would be hilarious.
If I'm not wrong, So far there's no game that cost $70 on steam. Correct me if I'm wrong.

"If they do charge $10 less for the superior version though that would be hilarious."

LOL!
Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

Fbh

Yeah $70 for all the Playstation fans? Fucking rip-off. I want to see how much it cost on Steam when the PC version comes out and how will the PC guys react if its 70$.

It's probably going to be $60. Cheaper in places with regional pricing (which they don't offer on console) and also on grey market sites (cd keys, G2A, etc).

They lure you in to the ps5 with a cheaper up front cost but in the long run they nickel and dime you with more expensive games, paid multiplayer, a ridiculous $10 next gen tax to just toggle some options in cross gen games, etc.

With more and more Sony games coming to PC the only real question when deciding between a PC and Ps5 now is "do you wan to pay a lot up front or in the long run?".

SlimySnake

Looks like the Principal Environment Artist over at Naughty Dog is feeling a bit defensive about the graphics backlash.

First he brings up the pre-rendered cutscenes vs realtime cutscenes argument and then deletes a tweet about UE5 comparisons.

Deleted this tweet below.

uQh5snh.jpg

Bizarre thing to say considering ND has gone for photorealism with TLOU series. I guess thats why he deleted that tweet?

kfE9qJ6.gif

oDErIXH.gif

the-last-of-us2-ellie-and-dina.gif

Last edited:

Rea

So basically tlou 1 is being remade with assets & gameplay mechanics that don't exist in the original game and to you that's NOT a remake?! They're literally doing MORE than Bluepoint did with demon's souls
Demon's souls Remake: new engine, new animation, facial expression. Remastered Music, sounds. VFX, weather system, new assets.

TLOU2: from the trailer..
Recycled engine from TLOU2, Joel model fron TLOU2 just younger, animations from PS4 Remastered, dialogs same, music? Maybe same. Same Gameplay from TLOU2? It literally looks like TLOU2 with 60fps on Ps5.

They shouldn't charge 70$, it's not worth it, even Demon's Souls is not worth 70$.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I will say that watching this on 4k looks a lot better. The problem is we didn’t get any gameplay, I think that would have done a lot more to sell the product if we could see the improvements in action and compare them to what we had before

SlimySnake SlimySnake

I just never really wanted this, and think $70 is a ripoff for those that already have bought this game multiple times.

It’s a wait for sale for me.

SlimySnake

Demon's souls Remake: new engine, new animation, facial expression. Remastered Music, sounds. VFX, weather system, new assets.

TLOU2: from the trailer..
Recycled engine from TLOU2, Joel model fron TLOU2 just younger, animations from PS4 Remastered, dialogs same, music? Maybe same. Same Gameplay from TLOU2? It literally looks like TLOU2 with 60fps on Ps5.

They shouldn't charge 70$, it's not worth it, even Demon's Souls is not worth 70$.
While I agree that the Demon Souls remake looks better, this is also a remake. In fact, they are changing the gameplay a lot more than Bluepoint ever did where they mostly just tweaked it. I think the biggest thing BP added was rolling in all directions when the original only had 4 rolling. I mean they didnt even have the plunging attack from future souls games. So yeah, the gameplay mechanics and combat are nearly identical whereas TLOU should play a lot like TLOU2 which overhauled the combat mechanics, animations, enemy A.I, Ellie's moveset (going prone, shooting from the ground etc.)

I agree that neither game shouldve been $70. $50 max like Miles, but this is definitely a remake. Just not as elaborate as RE2 and likely RE4 which looks to have new cutscenes and might have a new combat engine.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Rea

SlimySnake

I will say that watching this on 4k looks a lot better. The problem is we didn’t get any gameplay, I think that would have done a lot more to sell the product if we could see the improvements in action and compare them to what we had before

SlimySnake SlimySnake

I just never really wanted this, and think $70 is a ripoff for those that already have bought this game multiple times.

Just watched the 4k trailer. It looks fine to me. I think TLOU2 is still one of the best looking games out there and this looks pretty much on par with it. Top 5 behind HFW, Ratchet, Flight Sim, and Demon Souls. I just expected more from a PS5 only release from sony's best developer on Mark Cerny's masterpiece of a hardware. I still remember devs talking about how this console was revolutionary, and yet two years later, his developers have let him down.

EDIT: Took this screenshot of TLOU2 when I was playing the 60 fps patch last year. Was blown away by how good this shot looked.

FU3T7AZXsAINwUK

I was responding to a post which said that the trailer implied to them that the plot would be changed to better match the second game’s story. So I am reacting negatively to that idea, not saying that they definitely went ahead with it. We don’t know that yet.
We do know. Neil confirmed on stage that they did not re-record any lines or reshoot any mocap cutscenes. Both lead actors were on stage and saw this for the first time ever. They werent even part of the remake development. The only things changed for the cutscenes were character models, background assets, and facial animations which were redone to match the original mocap data back when they first shot the cutscenes.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
lol yeah it’s funny

Nah Joel’s a great character, very well written and acted.

And his death was a great way to make a dope sequel.
I hated him since the ending of the first game.
Funny thing is everyone I know that played both games back to back (a few people I know played them for the first time this year!) felt the same.
Not that he is badly written, not at all.
He’s just not a nice person and he had it coming.

Fbh

The $70 pricetag is a ripoff even for those who haven't bought it before.

I was ok with it when it was being sold as a necessary price increase to offer cool next gen games.

Instead I'm now being charged $10 extra than what I paid for TLOU2 for a TLO1 remake with similar visuals, half as long, without the original multiplayer mode and where I know they been able to recycle things like the voice acting, music, motion capture, etc.

Top Bottom