• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part I - PS5 - Coming September 2 (PC version in development)

kyliethicc

I hated him since the ending of the first game.
Funny thing is everyone I know that played both games back to back (a few people I know played them for the first time this year!) felt the same.
Not that he is badly written, not at all.
He’s just not a nice person and he had it coming.
Lol well sure but that’s the point of an anti-hero.

Michael Corleone is a terrible person but I love The Godfather. Part 1 and 2.

Mean people make for great stories.

Stuart360

Funny thing is everyone I know that played both games back to back (a few people I know played them for the first time this year!) felt the same.
Jesus, i know you want to defend TLOU2 but come on.
Joel was a great character, and he did what he did because he loved Ellie (who also literally saved his life), and obvioulsy viewed her ina fatherly way after losing his daughter.
If the game was real life, many people would of done the same under those circumstances.

Last edited:

Vick

I prefer Ellie’s and Joel’s faces in the cutscenes in the original 2 versions. I like how they look almost drawing-esque.
Art style in the original was impeccable. I grew up with Goosebumps covers by Tim Jacobus and that aesthetic really had a huge impact on me, the game looked exactly like those. Countless rooms and locations in terms of lighting, AO, light bounces, HDR and use of color in particular were literal 100% 90's Jacobus in 3D.

Even if it can be played at 1800p 60fps already i still hope the original will make its way to PC someday.

Vick

Retcon Joel’s death lol some people just can’t accept it. The guy is gone, he was shit anyway.
You would probably like to know you completely failed the TLoU experience, along with many other psychopaths incapable of feeling empathy.
The entire point of the game, the only one, was to make you develop such a strong and visceral bond to these digital characters that by the end of the game you would feel not only just okay, but actually compelled to say fuck humanity, the same humanity which deprived Joel of his daughter, and shown as literal monsters worse than the infected for the entire experience, just to save Ellie, the only good thing in a such rotten world.

I would legit never trust a person like you, and i mean it.

P.S. Believe it or not, Druckmann himself is Joel nº 1 fan, as the character is a literal transposition of his persona into videogame form, a sort of gift for his daughter just like the entire game is. And Druckmann himself revealed how every single time he played the game he brutally slaughtered every single doctor by the end of the game.

Last edited:

Rykan

You would probably like to know you completely failed the TLoU experience, along with many other psychopaths incapable of feeling empathy.
The entire point of the game, the only one, was to make you develop such a strong and visceral bond to these digital characters that by the end of the game you would feel not only just okay, but actually compelled to say fuck humanity, the same humanity which deprived Joel to his daughter, and shown as literal monsters worse than the infected for the entire experience, just to save Ellie, the only good things in a such a rotten world.

P.S. Believe it or not, Druckmann himself is Joel nº 1 fan, as the character is a literal transposition of his persona into videogame form, a sort of gift for his daughter just like the entire game is. And Druckmann himself revealed how every single time he played the game he brutally slaughtered every single doctor by the end of the game.
Are you okay brother? Do you need some help? How about a nice cup of tea?

Stuart360

The entire point of the game, the only one, was to make you develop such a strong and visceral bond to these digital characters that by the end of the game you would feel not only just okay, but actually compelled to say fuck humanity, the same humanity which deprived Joel to his daughter, and shown as literal monsters worse than the infected for the entire experience, just to save Ellie, the only good things in a such a rotten world.

I dont think (or hope anyway) that he actually believes what he said, its just there are some poeple that will defend TLOU2 at all costs due to it being a major exclusive.
I agree with you and was going to talk about the whole 'empathy' angle. We are supposed to feel so much for these characters, and undertsand their motives by the end thta we can empathise with Joel, even if we dont all agree with what he did, we can understand it though, and empathise with what he was obviously going through at the time.
Thats a clear sign of fantastic writing and fantasticly acted characters.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I usually like your posts but this is a trash take. Joel did nothing wrong in Part 1. He acted like any normal human would act in that situation to save Ellie.

The fireflies were terrorists and sadistic.

I know they will rewrite his character and that ending so it fits better with the flashbacks in Part 2 but he was fine in the original ending.

Why would you even sympathize with a random NPC doctor that you only see once after playing 20 hours as Joel and Ellie? You guys are weird.

Come On Joel GIF by Naughty Dog

Kokoloko85

I’ve never really seen the point in this remake, especially when ND could have been working on a new IP instead, but no doubt I’ll bite.

I dont think Naughty dog worked on it? Probably not the main team

If they add some new story/world stuff, Im willing to buy it. I thought the graphics would blow me away but it just looks like TLOU2 on PS4….

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I usually like your posts but this is a trash take. Joel did nothing wrong in Part 1. He acted like any normal human would act in that situation to save Ellie.

I know they will rewrite his character and that ending so it fits better with the flashbacks in Part 2 but he was fine in the original ending.

Why would you even sympathize with a random NPC doctor that you only see once after playing 20 hours as Joel and Ellie? You guys are weird.

Exactly, that's the thing. If you can't put yourself in the fatherly figure position at the end of number 1 you have completely missed the point.

"You're telling me that some random Dr's are gonna kill and dissect my little girl (adopted or not, but the only thing I love in this world) because they think they may find a cure....and I'm not gonna do everything in my power to save her...even if that means killing your ass to make sure you don't come looking for her again"

If you can't get that then you miss the entire point of the game.

I'm all for understanding how that Dr's daughter would then see the man who killed her father as a monster and want revenge in the most brutal way possible, but you gotta understand that first game and its perfect.

Is it just me or ... do the graphics look the same as The Last of Us 2?

Yes but....TLOU2 looks 5 times better then the original TLOU. They are using the same engine...did you expect a remake of the first to be a generational leap over the second part? Seriously, some of you really have unrealistic expectations. And fuck me if TLOU2 is considered an average looking game so that this doesnt impress you. Wether its worth $70, thast another story.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

I get what Swift_Star Swift_Star is saying. The fact that people go either #Joeldidnothingwrong and #Joelhaditcoming is proof to the great writing of his character.

I really think, however that people need to differentiate understandable from inexcusable. At the end of the day, Joel sacrifices humanity to save the person that gives meaning to his life, in a world he hardly cares for, anymore.

But once Joel and Ellie die, humanity is still stuck in a postapolyptic hell which will probably annihilate it.

On a personal, egotistical level, Joel did nothing wrong.

On a humanitarian, social, evolutionary level, Joel is the fucking AntiChrist.

Rykan

Nah i'm okay fam. Bothered by game discussions on videogame boards?
Nah bruh, Just thinking that stuff like .."...If you don't share my opinion on this game, you're a psychopath incapable of feeling empathy and I would never trust a person like you.." is more suitable for a shrink office rather than a video game board.

Nickolaidas

Exactly, that's the thing. If you can't put yourself in the fatherly figure position at the end of number 1 you have completely missed the point.

"You're telling me that some random Dr's are gonna kill and dissect my little girl (adopted or not, but the only thing I love in this world) because they think they may find a cure....and I'm not gonna do everything in my power to save her...even if that means killing your ass to make sure you don't come looking for her again"

I'm all for understanding how that Dr's daughter would then see the man who killed her father as a monster and want revenge in the most brutal way possible, but you gotta understand that first game and its perfect.
Lots of people would want to kill Joel.

K2D

Banned
In the original she looks like a teenage kid. In the remake they made her nose and features bigger like she is 4 years older . Weird take.
It's all subjective - how is that so weird?

Edit: I might have read last part wrong.

I fell in love with one set of characters back way back when, and when I see the new characters, all I see is a face-rig.

Last edited:

Vick

I agree with you and was going to talk about the whole 'empathy' angle. We are supposed to feel so much for these characters, and undertsand their motives by the end thta we can empathise with Joel, even if we dont all agree with what he did, we can understand it though, and empathise with what he was obviously going through at the time.
Thats a clear sign of fantastic writing and fantasticly acted characters.
The thing is though, if you don't agree with what he did, or felt disconnected while playing as him in the last chapter, the game simply failed. It just did.

And i'm glad it couldn't have had possibly succeeded anymore than it did with me. From the Winter chapter to the end of the game, i was Joel. And that's why it instantly became my favorite piece of media at the time.

On a humanitarian, social, evolutionary level, Joel is the fucking AntiChrist.
Vaccine was not even granted, just a possibility. I'd also like to know what in the game made you believe humanity was redeemable at that point.

Nah bruh, Just thinking that stuff like .."...If you don't share my opinion on this game, you're a psychopath incapable of feeling empathy and I would never trust a person like you.." is more suitable for a shrink office rather than a video game board.
5062361a-ad25-42a2-b6b6-bc67b51c1dcb_text.gif

Appreciate the input though.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Lots of people would want to kill Joel.

Absolutely, just like lots of people would want to kill Rick Grimes.

It it was the apocalypse and you killed one person, there's a high chance that some people would want to kill you....guess what....nearly every person has loved ones who may want revenge for their beloveds brutal murder.....its literally the whole point of the last of us part 2. The cycle of violence driven by revenge. That is literally THE point.

Between this:
jHrKCou.png
In the original she looks like a teenage kid. In the remake they made her nose and features bigger like she is 4 years older . Weird take.
It's all subjective - how is that so weird?

I fell in love with one set of characters back way back when, and when I see the new characters, all I see is a face-rig.
You misunderstood me, I didnt say your take is weird, I meant THEIR take on the redesign is weird :) I am agreeing with you.

Reactions: K2D

Nickolaidas

The thing is though, if you don't agree with what he did, or felt disconnected while playing as him in the last chapter, the game simply failed. It just did.

And i'm glad it couldn't have had possibly succeeded anymore than it did with me. From the Winter chapter to the end of the game, i was Joel. And that's why it instantly became my favorite piece of media at the time.

Vaccine was not even granted, just a possibility. I'd also like to know what in the game made you believe humanity was redeemable at that point.

The fact that there were loads of good people despite living on hell on Earth. If you judged humanity based on the people who tried to kill you, you've only been looking one side of the coin.

And just because you bonded with Joel doesn't mean his actions were correct. It just means you became biased.

Stuart360

5062361a-ad25-42a2-b6b6-bc67b51c1dcb_text.gif

Appreciate the input though.
Oh dont get me wrong, i would of done the same thing, and i did agree with Joel because as you just put above, they made it clear that the research may not even work anyway.
I just meant i could def see people empathizing and understanding Joels decision ,but when the human race was possibly at risk, they may not of 100% agreed with Joel, even if they 100% understand his decision.

But yeah for me, i would of 100% done what Joel did. no question about it.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Buy TLOU Remastered the next time it’s on sale for £7.99 if you’re interested as it wouldn’t surprise me if Sony yank it from the shop at some point.

It's included in PS Plus Collections. But if I'm gonna play it I would happily pay $70 but I don't replay games I finished.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Why make this? The game aged very well visually, and is already playable on PS4 and PS5. Who the hell is this for?
Set the stage for PS5 and PC gamers with LoU 1 again. Then LoU 2 Remake in 2024. And LoU 3 in 2026. Big budget games need big sales from peak user base. Similar to the first two games when they launched at the end of their cycle, the third game will release when there's a giant PS5 console base and PS6 is around the corner. No point do it now.

The sequel will come. The game ended with the characters going separate ways. I highly doubt the PS5 generation will pass without a LoU 3 sequel.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
At $70 US, that's $90 CDN. A full budget priced game.

Last of Us Remastered on PS4 had improvements all round and also MP. And it sold for $50. I just googled it, and it was originally going to sell for $60 US, but they dropped the price right before launch to $50.

Like the original version, The Last of Us Remastered received "universal acclaim" according to Metacritic, based on 69 critics.[96] It is the third-highest-rated PlayStation 4 game on Metacritic, behind Grand Theft Auto V and Red Dead Redemption 2.[104][c]

The game's enhanced graphics received positive reactions. Colin Moriarty of IGN felt that the graphical fidelity of Remastered was an improvement over The Last of Us, despite the latter being "the most beautiful game [he'd] seen on any console".[99] GamesRadar's David Houghton echoed this statement, calling the visuals "jaw-dropping".[105] VideoGamer.com reiterated the graphical improvement over the original game, particularly praising the increased draw distance and improved lighting technology.[101] Liam Martin of Digital Spy also felt that the lighting system improves the gameplay and makes the game "feel even more dangerous".[106] Game Informer's Tim Turi stated that the game is "even more breathtaking" than The Last of Us.[98] Matt Swider of TechRadar appreciated the minor detail changes and the technical improvements.[107] The Independent's Jack Fleming felt that the original game's visual flaws were enhanced in Remastered, but greatly complimented the updated graphics regardless.[108]

Many reviewers considered the technical enhancements, such as the increased frame rate, a welcome advancement from the original game. Turi of Game Informer felt that the frame rate "dramatically elevate" the game above the original.[98] Jim Sterling of The Escapist complimented the upgraded frame rate, commenting that the original frame rate is a "noticeably inferior experience".[102] IGN's Moriarty stated that, though the change was initially "jarring", he appreciated it through further gameplay.[76] Tom Hoggins of The Daily Telegraph echoed these statements, feeling as though the increased frame rate heightened the intensity of the gameplay.[103] Philip Kollar of Polygon appreciated the game's improved textures and loading times.[100]

The addition of Photo Mode was well received. TechRadar's Swider named the mode as a standout feature,[109] while IGN's Moriarty complimented the availability to capture "gorgeous" images using the feature.[99] The adjustment of the controls received praise, with Moriarty of IGN particularly approving the DualShock 4's triggers.[99] Swider of TechRadar felt that the additional controls result in a better functioning game,[107] while Digital Spy's Martin felt that it improves the game's combat, commenting that it "increase this sense of immersion".[106] Reviewers also appreciated the inclusion of the DLC and the audio commentary.[99][97][100][103][109][110] These features led The Escapist's Sterling to dub Remastered as "the definitive version of the game".[102]

Last edited:

Paasei

A great game that never needed a remake. I’m more interested that the game can be played on PC in the (near) future.

Stooky

I’ve never seen a game so endlessly debated as the Last of Us. Every thread that mentions this games goes on forever. Which means it did it’s job job. As for the remake ND did what any company would do with a succesful product. People are still buying the same Jordan’s that came out in 90’s willing to wait in long lines and pay stupid money for them too. I Just about rebuy my entire Dvd blu ray 4k blu ray collection every time a better version comes out. For people who haven’t played it the game or want the updated experience I think we are in for treat especially if it has the last of us 2 quality. For those who say they aren’t picking it up , I don’t believe you lol.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

At $70 US, that's $90 CDN. A full budget priced game.

Last of Us Remastered on PS4 had improvements all round and also MP. And it sold for $50. I just googled it, and it was originally going to sell for $60 US, but they dropped the price right before launch to $50.
Improvements all around. No just the frame rate and resolution. Maybe some slight graphical enhancements. The remake is going to have better AI,the animation system and gore from the second game.

kungfuian

Less than 3 months from announce to release might be a record. Curious to see if Sony sticks with such short marketing cycles as the generation goes on. Also wonder what this says about how long they will hold back release dates for already announced games.

Makes the idea of a late July/early August announce for a November 11th God of War release seem totally plausible.

ParaSeoul

Less than 3 months from announce to release might be a record. Curious to see if Sony sticks with such short marketing cycles as the generation goes on. Also wonder what this says about how long they will hold back release dates for already announced games.

Makes the idea of a late July/early August announce for a November 11th God of War release seem totally plausible.
Hoping so,Capcom started it with RE7. The rest of industry should follow this instead of showing some shit cgi trailer and making people wait 3 years.

8BiTw0LF

Banned

Well Done Ok GIF by funk

Top Bottom