• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears Of The Kingdom has sold over 10 million copies worldwide in less than 3 days

GymWolf

Yeah. We won’t know if it’s a success until we know how many meals have been cooked and how many people have had a wank over Purah
tears-of-the-kingdom-purah.gif

Eotheod

I'm barely into the start of the game, like second shrine not even started, and I am incredibly overwhelmed and I love it. I'm just going full mechano on this shit and it is the best thing ever.

I haven't even found a shirt for Link yet!

Last edited:
Ive got one, but it looks like shit on 65" qoled and i dont like playing in handheld, so I'm holding out in the hope they release a new console soon.
You could always dump your cart and play it on pc :^)

I actually am thinking of doing the same. Bought the physical version and played on the switch a bit.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
You could always dump your cart and play it on pc :^)

I actually am thinking of doing the same. Bought the physical version and played on the switch a bit.
I think you need a 2017/2018 Switch to dump your game. Anyone running TOTK on their PC without such a console is likely doing so illegally.

When the Europe numbers dropped and it was performing like Scarlet/Violet then you knew it would be big, considering that Zelda has always been bigger in the United States it was going to be the fastest selling Nintendo game ever in the America's region. Given that the United States makes up about 82% of the America's region for Nintendo Switch sales then around 3.3 million came from there.

We have an idea of how the game sold in five countries:

United States: 3.3 million
Japan: 2.24 million
France: 770K (Assuming 35% digital ratio)
United Kingdom: 320K (Assuming 35% digital ratio)
Spain: 260K (Assuming 35% digital Ratio)

Last edited:

Metnut

Impossible! I was told that no one would pay $70 to own world class games and that everyone wanted to pay $15 a month to rent mostly old games.

Alebrije

Deserved, I played it a couple of hours yesterday and just the beginning shows you the scope but specially the diverse approach for the puzzles and how to attack enemies...

If this Zelda is not GOTY...do not know which one.

daclynk

I think Nintendo's own developers will suffer from burnout and desire variety as much as gamers will. I don't think open-world Zelda is over, but I expect some variety like Mario. BOTW/TOTK feels like Galaxy 1/2 to me. Groundbreaking, but you don't know what they will do next. They even eventually spun back to the 64 formula. I think this is the only open-world Zelda we need for a LONG time, so they might hit us with some more focused Zelda gameplay in the interim (with time, this game deserves a lot of space). They will want TOTK DX on Switch 2, but they will need another exclusive game on it as well to draw in all the Zelda fans who already played TOTK on Switch, and it ISNT going to be another massive open-world game so fast, we just got it.
no i think will evolve like they always do. people forget that we were stuck with the OOT fomula for a long time. let not go back. let them continue to evolve. Keep the OOT formula for the 2D Zelda games.

decisions

well Nintendo is not Sony. The day nintendo start releasing their game on PC they can kiss their hardware sell goodbye.
Considering Nintendo’s console is significantly cheaper than Sony’s and they have a larger audience share of kids who will are unlikely to own a high-powered gaming PC, I would argue that releasing games on PC would hurt Nintendo less than it would Sony (this is why Sony will not release games day 1 on PC).

near

Gold Member
Not surprised. If there was anything to learn from BotW selling 30 million copies, it was that Zelda as a franchise now has massive appeal.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
If by soon you mean late 2024 or early 2025 then sure.

The Switch is designed for 720-1080p so yeah it's going to look shit on your 65" QLED lol.

Nintendo doesn't chase resolution or framerate. The WiiU could do 1080p but the Switch needs to do handheld which means it only runs games at around standard HD. The 3DS had a 800x240 screen.

There is no way Nintendo is giving up on the hybrid model so you can still expect any future consoles to accommodate running on battery so at best I'd say the next gen console will target 1080p in handheld. They might go for 1440-1800p and upscale to 4K when in docked/TV mode.
Nintendo games look good no matter the resolution because of their artstyle.

daclynk

Considering Nintendo’s console is significantly cheaper than Sony’s and they have a larger audience share of kids who will are unlikely to own a high-powered gaming PC, I would argue that releasing games on PC would hurt Nintendo less than it would Sony (this is why Sony will not release games day 1 on PC).
well Nintendo software are designed with their hardware in mind, that why it not going to happen.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Pokemon Scarlet and Violet numbers, probably less legs than that but very impressive
You mean the opposite. BOTW continued to sell better than Pokémon games. Not only because it's actually good but also because Pokémon games come at a much higher frequency.
- Over 20 Million players reached.
- 25 million shrines completed.
- At least 1 million Koroks abused, killed, sacrificed, euthanized, burned, put on gas chambers.
- 69.420 million cock and ball contraptions created.
- At least 1 game completion.
20M players reached but only 1M Koroks abused/killed? Nah.

daclynk

I gots a funny feelings Nintendos gonna DRM the crud out of Switch 2 and then resell Zelda on its with a buncha additional contents.
i dont think nintendo would port it to their next console. They could have done that for the LOZ: SS but they didnt. The only time they did was when their previous console didnt sell well as you can see with GameCube to Wii with LOZ:TP and Wiiu to Switch LOZ: BOTW.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I gots a funny feelings Nintendos gonna DRM the crud out of Switch 2 and then resell Zelda on its with a buncha additional contents.
I think if it’s already sold 10m it’ll probably be at 20m by the end of 2024 when the next Switch could launch.

I think you need a 2017/2018 Switch to dump your game. Anyone running TOTK on their PC without such a console is likely doing so illegally.
I specifically bought an old switch so I could do that, lol. I thought things had changed and you could now pull the data directly though Yuzu, though. I actually looked into it last night, albeit breifly and while distracted by children. Looking more, it seems I was wrong.

It would be like an hour of work to get all the stuff together I need to dump it again, sigh.

Last edited:
Congrats. I’m tempted to buy the OLED to replace my launch release Switch or hold off to see if their next system offers backward compatibility.

Should be a pretty exciting battle between TotK and Hogwarts Legacy for the crown of best seller this year with apparently no CoD to compete with.

Quietly I'm rooting for HL so it will be even more funny when the entire gaming media pretends it doesn't exist when GOTY voting starts and it's not an available option to vote for!

Top Bottom