• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PlayStation VR2 PC adapter launches August 7

Minsc

Gold Member
No adaptive triggers sucks a lot too, one of the nicer things about the device for the RE games. And the headset vibration is a unique feature that I imagine is not making it over either. All in all a pretty watered down set of features compared to what it's capable of on the the PS5.

Rudius

The missing features are not supported by PCVR games. I don't even think they are impossible with the adapter, just not supported officially.

Last edited:

XXL

It sucks that there are missing features, those are some of the best parts of PSVR 2.

But overall, I'm still interested.

Minsc

Gold Member
The missing features are not supported by PCVR games. I don't even think they are impossible with the adapter, just not supported officially.

HDR would be nice for watching HDR media. I'm sure people will figure it out for games, especially if you're using UEVR injector and playing games with HDR modes already. Analog triggers don't exist? That seems unlikely, but maybe? The fact all these features exist and are used in the same ports of the games on the PS5 to me means they could have been added in to the PC ports if the developers had a way. So it's a shame Sony is blocking them off from the start.

Rudius

HDR would be nice for watching HDR media. I'm sure people will figure it out for games, especially if you're using UEVR injector and playing games with HDR modes already. Analog triggers don't exist? That seems unlikely, but maybe? The fact all these features exist and are used in the same ports of the games on the PS5 to me means they could have been added in to the PC ports if the developers had a way. So it's a shame Sony is blocking them off from the start.
Analog triggers will be supported natively, just not the motors they calk adaptive triggers, since devs would need to implement the feature.

HDR would work with flat mods, but VR games with HDR only exist on PS5 at the moment.

And I'm not sure Sony is really blocking those features. With a dualsense on PC you can potentially use all the features, but for over 99% of the games it will be just like a Xbox controller.

Rudius

They say some features "are not available when playing on PC". To me that reads like PCVR games don't support those features, not that the adapter is blocking them.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
They say some features" are not available when playing on PC". To me that reads like PCVR games don't support those features, not that the adapter is blocking them.

But HDR10 is supported by SteamVR... so why not have this have it? I dunno, I think the period of realizing it's going to be a bit gimped compared to way it operates on the PS5 needs a bit to settle in for me anyway. I was under the impression that this adapter would have it working in full just like it does on the PS5, but it really doesn't.

And I was pretty sure eye tracking is supported on PC VR, stuff like VR Chat uses that afaik.

diffusionx

Gold Member
But HDR10 is supported by SteamVR... so why not have this have it? I dunno, I think the period of realizing it's going to be a bit gimped compared to way it operates on the PS5 needs a bit to settle in for me anyway. I was under the impression that this adapter would have it working in full just like it does on the PS5, but it really doesn't.

And I was pretty sure eye tracking is supported on PC VR, stuff like VR Chat uses that afaik.
The next question is that if a dev wanted to implement PSVR2 eye tracking, could they? Or adaptive triggers? My guess is yes but it is not out of the box supported the way it is on PS5.

Rudius

Games need to support HDR natively. HDR is not like flipping a switch, they have to master the games for a proper look; even so in many cases it looks worse than SDR. I bet people will get it to work, but it will be worthy only for some games. Flight Simulator supports HDR in flat, so I believe it will be possible to mod it to support HDR on PSVR2.

In any case, I think their wording means that PCVR games don't support the features of PSVR2, not that they are stripped by the adapter.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I haven't paid any attention to VR since the GTX 970 days so I have I question

Does this thing have the same functionality as

Sony HMZ-T2 Wearable HDTV 2D/3D but connected to a PC (maybe minus the 3D) via some type of cinema mode?

Because that would be cool to watch my uhhh japanese animes with

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Does the PSVR2 have hands free options? Because hands free is pretty helpful when you want to view webpages without a controller in your hand.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
using Alyx to advertise it... sony has no shame
Come on and don't be naive and understand how marketing works. They have steam right in their freaking wording. You don't think that this is a happy accident? If anything it shows you that they're smart, literally.

A slight bit expensive but more than acceptable considering it's going to open up the door to massive amounts of VR in the PC space. It's one of the best headsets out there and you can find them probably used for a certain price. I think this is great.

sncvsrtoip

Come on and don't be naive and understand how marketing works. They have steam right in their freaking wording. You don't think that this is a happy accident? If anything it shows you that they're smart, literally.

A slight bit expensive but more than acceptable considering it's going to open up the door to massive amounts of VR in the PC space. It's one of the best headsets out there and you can find them probably used for a certain price. I think this is great.
Lack of Alyx on psvr2 is big Sony fail and I think its false advertising because its open nothing to ps5 owners and without eye tracking and hdr pc players should chose cheaper quest 3 with better pancake lenses.

A bit disappointing it won't come with the haptics or eye tracking but I'm still pleased.

I've always wanted to use one headset for my PS5 and PC and this allows that.

The PSVR2 is the most comfortable VR headset I own and the clarity on it is superb. I'm going to enjoy using it very much on my PC.

Lack of Alyx on psvr2 is big Sony fail and I think its false advertising because its open nothing to ps5 owners and without eye tracking and hdr pc players should chose cheaper quest 3 with better pancake lenses.

The level of discourse in gaming is reaching all time lows.

Sony doesn't own Half Life. Valve does. Only Valve will decide if one of their games is on a platform.

How is this at all false advertising when it's not at all advertising Half Life on PS5?

Whether people SHOULD choose a different headset is up to them, but has nothing to do with the advertising here.

sort of odd it needs the box at all, isn’t the usb-c on the PS5 a regular port? In theory this should have been possible using just drivers, I wonder why that isn’t the case.

Rudius

A bit disappointing it won't come with the haptics or eye tracking but I'm still pleased.

I've always wanted to use one headset for my PS5 and PC and this allows that.

The PSVR2 is the most comfortable VR headset I own and the clarity on it is superb. I'm going to enjoy using it very much on my PC.
If you conect a dualsense controller to PC it has access to the adaptive triggers and it's more subtle rumble motors, but play basically any game and see that the triggers do nothing at all and the rumble is old fashioned. These features have to be implemented on a game by game basis and PCVR game don't support PSVR2 features.

MarkMe2525

G Gamertag VR just stated that none of the feature set, that makes the PSVR2 attractive, will work on PC. No eye tracking, advanced haptics, nor HDR when connected to PC 😔. The only thing that this has over a Quest 2 is the OLED blacks.

How could they fuck this up. Shooting themselves in the foot before it is even available.

If you conect a dualsense controller to PC it has access to the adaptive triggers and it's more subtle rumble motors, but play basically any game and see that the triggers do nothing at all and the rumble is old fashioned. These features have to be implemented on a game by game basis and PCVR game don't support PSVR2 features.
That makes sense.

I guess gamers will have to find ways to mod these features in to games individually.

I'm just happy that I'll be able to use my PSVR2 on my PC.

MarkMe2525

successful? you gotta be kidding me. How much money has Meta dumped into this? its far from a success. They lost SO MUCH money from VR efforts with little return. It doesn't matter if they sold 10 million headsets or w/e
Success is relative and in the VR market, Quest is the greatest success, by far. How many headsets they have sold absolutely matters and its closer to 30 million, not 10.

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
This is all very well, but the VR market is stagnating thanks to a distinct lack of highly polished, full length experiences. But I guess the PSVR2 owners who haven't played Alyx will get the chance to play what is still the best VR game... FOUR years later.
It's more of a curation issue than anything. Why make quality experiences when you let any garbage app on your store? Same reason why mobile apps tried and failed to create premium experiences.

fart town usa

Gold Member
G Gamertag VR just stated that none of the feature set, that makes the PSVR2 attractive, will work on PC. No eye tracking, advanced haptics, nor HDR when connected to PC 😔. The only thing that this has over a Quest 2 is the OLED blacks.

How could they fuck this up. Shooting themselves in the foot before it is even available.
I would imagine that these features need to be baked into the game code, how is a display (the headset) going to know to utilize those features?

Also, Gamertag VR is a complete twat.

MarkMe2525

I would imagine that these features need to be baked into the game code, how is a display (the headset) going to know to utilize those features?

Also, Gamertag VR is a complete twat.
So the release notes mention that these features are not supported, which suggests that PC VR developers will not be given access to the sdk to "bake" in the necessary game code. This isn't just a case of games not supporting eye tracking at release, but potentially a situation where games will never being able to utilize eye tracking. Third party devs may find a solution, but undoubtedly would be ad-hoc which would ensure it never gets widespread support in PCVR games.

GamerTag VR being a twat has nothing to do with the content of release notes that Sony provided. He is a big PSVR2 2 fan, so it isn't likely that he misrepresenting this information.

Last edited:

Bry0

sort of odd it needs the box at all, isn’t the usb-c on the PS5 a regular port? In theory this should have been possible using just drivers, I wonder why that isn’t the case.
No it’s not a regular port on the ps5, it supports virtual link, hence the need for the box since most hardware on pc ditched that protocol,

KaiserBecks

The IQ with cable is far better than wireless. At least with Quest 2 that has 300mbps 200mbps limit wireless.
I don't know about the Quest 2 but IQ with Quest 3 is fine. I'm not sure about the numbers but I remember I read that the mbps limit is higher with the Quest 3. I'm sure there's always a tradeoff, but it's significantly more comfortable to play wireless.

Neofire

"The PlayStation VR2 PC adapter launches August 7, letting players expand their game library with thousands of SteamVR titles."

All at a low low price of a psvr2 and a 1500 plus PC to be able to run PCVR games 👀

Nah best vr experience is GT7
lol...

GIF by Giphy QA

tmlDan

Success is relative and in the VR market, Quest is the greatest success, by far. How many headsets they have sold absolutely matters and its closer to 30 million, not 10.
Success is not relative when you spend 10's of billions on VR and lost a ton of money, anyone can be successful if they brute force it into the market. It happens all the time. For Meta level corporations? that is not success, that's a dud.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
This is great news and the adaptor is cheaper than I thought it would be. Time to look out for a good second hand PSVR2 deal.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Can someone in layman's terms explain to me why HDR and Eye Tracking won't work on PC when using this PSVR2 adapter, don't other existing PC VR devices already do that?
It could be that Sony relies on discrete components* of the ps5 for HDR pass through.

Eye tracking might be a license thing depending on what they are using for the tech. Not wanting to pay an additional fee for another platform (I.e. white labeling Tobii for the ps2vr).

Also…being pessimistic here…but those features were not supported in PSVR, so if Sony wants to release any of their first party PSVR1 games on pc they don’t have to do additional work.

Last edited:

octos

Neo Member
Pretty sure that Eye tracking will eventually work, my guess is that games need to be specifically designed to take advantage of it. Otherwise, there's no point in having foveated rendering. I will get the adapter and hopefully can make some UE5 demos with it.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

Well, you never know if this leads to a PSVR2 version of HL Alyx announcement.

Top Bottom