• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The possible console PS5 Slim leaked? (Update: possible video)

BlackTron

If I were to buy this console at say £399 and wanted to play discs then I'd have to pay more....wouldn't i?
Nice job intentionally ignoring the rest of my post.

Sony has been making disk users pay more the second they introduced a diskless option. It's another way of saying non-disk users have the option to pay less, which is what they did when they released PS5. All they are doing here is giving people who take that path the option to reach parity with a full console, for (presumably) the same price

Your language is intentionally disingenuous. Imagine you want a set of two gamepads for $100. You find the controllers, but only sold singly at $50. You complain that if you buy one, you will have to pay more for another one. Technically that is correct, but you are presenting "pay more" as a price increase even though none has occured.

mrmustard

Banned
I can definitely see Sony trying to stick to the current pricing model or to at least decrease it a bit. Can't see them going over it.
I can see them make 399 DE + 150 drive. Makes digital much more attractive without rasing prices for the disc version. I can also see them produce low disc numbers, so they are hard to get. But that's just what the scummy business man inside me would do.

BlackTron

I can see them make 399 DE + 150 drive. Makes digital much more attractive without rasing prices for the disc version. I can also see them produce low disc numbers, so they are hard to get. But that's just what the scummy business man inside me would do.
Hold on though. I think that if they do this, it is the only PS5 sku going forward, that's the point. There is no more disk version, there is an add on drive instead.

I can see that happening. Just not a 500$ console with a 100$/150$ disk drive.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Love the design. Thinking’s cool to have a detachable bd drive for whom needs it.

Likely to give the PS fans an illusion of choice, as they can easily artificial constrain the supply of the drive to further push the fanbase to digital.

BlackTron

Sure, but if you want the disc drive it's the same as before you pay extra.
He seems to have some sort of impediment that makes it impossible to understand this. It's actually the same as before BUT BETTER because shitty pure digital, incapable of ever taking a disk PS5s become a thing of the past, while initial cost of entry goes down for everyone

mrmustard

Banned
Hold on though. I think that if they do this, it is the only PS5 sku going forward, that's the point. There is no more disk version, there is an add on drive instead.
Sure, that's what i mean by 'disc version'. 399 DE +150 drive = current disc version price.

mrmustard

Banned
Damn I can walk into a target or best buy and get a disk drive version marked down right now for 449. That's painful
Yeah, it's hard. We don't even have offical offers in Europe. While the US PS Store has a sale for 449 $, EU PS stores are at 549 Euro.
For example Spain:

mrmustard

Banned
I can definitely see Sony trying to stick to the current pricing model or to at least decrease it a bit. Can't see them going over it.
That's what i'm saying. Right now the normal price in the USA is 399 for DE and in most other countries it's 449. Making the DE wordwide 399 is an overall decrease. It would only be a little bit more expensive in the USA if you want the drive and staying the same if you don't want it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Do we but the original PS5 as long as it's still on sale and never unbox it?!
It's the last moment to do so. WE all know original consoles are always the best

dotnotbot

This video gives me Playstation 3 slim china black market vibes.

Nobody believe It but It was the real deal.

Does anybody remember It??

Some photos on page 4.

Last edited:
WE all know original consoles are always the best
No they aren't.

original PS3 and PS4 were not as good as slim models. not that they were bad but they were more likely to have hardware issues. Once the slim models are out there's no reason to buy the OG model anymore.

REDRZA MWS

I kind of doubt a PS5 would be a failure. Even if they revert to a base model with an optional add on for disks. From the sounds of it they will probably do bundles instead of selling it separately. So essentially you would still have 2 SKUs in a way.

Edit: By add ons I know your talking about things like the Sega CD or the 360 HD-DVD drive. This isn't exactly that kind of a thing.
Where did I ever once PS5 ever being a failure? Please dont put words in my mouth. I said add ons, historically fail. Which is why I don’t think Sony cares how many add on disk drives the sell. They are preparing for all digital.

Where did I ever once PS5 ever being a failure? Please dont put words in my mouth. I said add ons, historically fail. Which is why I don’t think Sony cares how many add on disk drives the sell. They are preparing for all digital.

Well how popular is an all digital PS5 in the first place? If people don't want the new model and add ons typically fail like you said then that means many won't get it due to it requiring an add on to play physical copies.

I personally don't see it failing either way. I really don't see the PS5 + Disk Drive failing because people still want physical copies. This isn't like the situation with Sega where the CDs were not available since launch. Asking people to buy an add on to play them when they already have cartridges is a bit different than this situation.

I'm happy that you clarified things though.

mrcroket

I'm genuinely curious how will be priced, and how will be (likely) bundle with the disk-drive. I will say the same price that the current models of digital and disk drive respectively.

King Dazzar

I'll never get the continued push for the white aesthetic this gen. But leave the piano/gloss black centre and add matt black plates and this will look good.

Aside from the potential 2 x USB C-ports, removal of disc drive, do we know what other specs changes there are? Maybe they've added the additional C port for the disc drive?

Last edited:

Fake

100% they will discontinue regular ps5. thats the whole point of new version

Would agree with you, but one come with disc drive and the other don't. This is likely replacing the PS5 DE because both lack disc drive.
The regular PS5 still selling surprising high in comparison with DE, would be a bad move for them replace for a machine with a totally different vision (replaceable disc drive).

Maybe one year or two after release, but they are not equal to PS4 and PS4 slim.

Last edited:
Looks gash no doubt about it, perhaps a little worse than the Ps5. Bottom line though is that this unit will he cheaper to produce and so make more profit for Sony so it does the job. If they can sell it for 399 then it's going to put pressure on microsoft to respond some how.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

No they aren't.

original PS3 and PS4 were not as good as slim models. not that they were bad but they were more likely to have hardware issues. Once the slim models are out there's no reason to buy the OG model anymore.

Yeah, a lot of times that second model represents the best one. The OG PS3/360 slims were the best hardware for each IMO. The last revisions went a bit into the ultra cheap direction in terms of the housing and the feel of the external build quality, the PS3 more so than the 360e. Last gen I though both the refreshes were top notch, even though I know a lot of PS4 players thought the PS4 slim was a bit cheap looking.

Looks gash no doubt about it, perhaps a little worse than the Ps5. Bottom line though is that this unit will he cheaper to produce and so make more profit for Sony so it does the job. If they can sell it for 399 then it's going to out pressure on microsoft to respond some how.

Microsoft does have the Series S. Plus this is just like another model Sony already has the PS5 DE. I'm not sure if Microsoft will produce a new model to compete with this one. Maybe cut the price of the systems they already have but I doubt it due to the losses they said they are taking.

I'll never get the continued push for the white aesthetic this gen. But leave the piano/gloss black centre and add matt black plates and this will look good.

Aside from the potential 2 x USB C-ports, removal of disc drive, do we know what other specs changes there are? Maybe they've added the additional C port for the disc drive?
Because they're selling you the solution to the problem they invented.

wipeout364

I really don’t like the midpoint notches on the front panel. I question whether this is legit based on those. That seems like a bad design to have edges like that and not something Sony would do based on their original ascetic design philosophy for the PS5.

BlackTron

IMHO new ps5 without drive should cost 350$ and bundled with drive 400$, also drive alone would cost 100$.

This, I find it highly unlikely that console + drive will cost MORE than existing console with built-in drive. I want to say that unless Sony is insane, the worst case scenario is that if you buy both, it costs the same you would spend today.

Meaning this is only an improvement both for Sony and for customers. There isn't anything bad about it. I don't get all the negativity. Sure, maybe a wasted opportunity to redesign the thing, but it's still an overall improvement from where we stand now, and it's not a slim. It's a strategic redesign to turn two SKUs into one SKU.

Top Bottom