• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The possible console PS5 Slim leaked? (Update: possible video)

Kilau

Again, you guys are confused and trying to confuse.

What you showing me is the PS5 Digita Edition BOX, if someone buy this by mistake the PS5 DE they can simple back to the shop and buy the regular PS5 and pay the difference. This happens A LOT, more in the Xbox case than the PS5 because Xbox have a bunch of SKUs.

Now, what about the PS5 slim? Will come with disc drive or not? If not, are they gonna sell another SKU with the disc drive or the shop will sell a bunch of separete disc drives with the Playstation logo? If so, why do we need to buy the official disc drive if everyone could replace with generic ones? What the box of the PS5 will suggest?

Those are the questions. There will be no more 2 SKUs (PS5 + PS5 DE), instead you guys are suggesting replace 2 SKU with one single SKU that have the ability to replace a disc drive, but are consumers asking those question before buying? Is easy for us from a gaming forum to understand those questions, but in a consumers pespective this can be very confusing.
Both scenarios are possible. Having only one SKU without the drive included and giving the option to add one or having two SKUs still, just now the DE will have the option to add a drive later. I don't know that retailers will be interested in stocking an addon drive, I like the option, but it seems like Sony could be creating a hassle for everyone including themselves.

Kilau

I think they would if they want to sell physical copies. In a way it would be bad for them to not stock the drive.
I could see Sony initially only selling it through their online store and then "select partners". There is the potential benefit to the retailer in selling the addon to get potential sales on physical games later, but I still think it's a tough sell to stock it with no guarantee on adoption.

I could see Sony initially only selling it through their online store and then "select partners". There is the potential benefit to the retailer in selling the addon to get potential sales on physical games later, but I still think it's a tough sell to stock it with no guarantee on adoption.

People still buy physical copies. If it wasn't for that then I would agree with you. Pretty sure retailer's will stock this since they still want to sell physical copies.

I think the issue here is that people are seeing it as a sort of Sega CD add on which it really isn't. There's an already established market for physical copies and physical copies haven't been abandoned yet. People who want to stick with physical will purchase this drive. It shouldn't be difficult to get it.

Thats the point John from Digital Foundry make. 'If they want.'

All this process can affect physical copies.

I don't see why they wouldn't. Retailers make income from physical copies and the second hand market. The ones that want to continue this will stock the drive.

Kilau

People still buy physical copies. If it wasn't for that then I would agree with you. Pretty sure retailer's will stock this since they still want to sell physical copies.

I think the issue here is that people are seeing it as a sort of Sega CD add on which it really isn't. There's an already established market for physical copies and physical copies haven't been abandoned yet. People who want to stick with physical will purchase this drive. It shouldn't be difficult to get it.
How many should a store stock? 1 for every system they stock? What if Sony has a system that includes the drive still, then it's just an addon for the drive less systems they sell? Buyers going for the drive less system over the drive system certainly won't be buying the addon then, maybe later but when and where? If it's just a SKU with no drive then I could see a lot of buyers opting to get the addon later to lower their cost of entry, then the store is sitting on a bunch of addons wait for buyers that may never come back. I like the option because I like physical media but I see Sony selling the drive on their store online at least initially.

How many should a store stock? 1 for every system they stock? What if Sony has a system that includes the drive still, then it's just an addon for the drive less systems they sell? Buyers going for the drive less system over the drive system certainly won't be buying the addon then, maybe later but when and where? If it's just a SKU with no drive then I could see a lot of buyers opting to get the addon later to lower their cost of entry, then the store is sitting on a bunch of addons wait for buyers that may never come back. I like the option because I like physical media but I see Sony selling the drive on their store online at least initially.

I wouldn't worry about logistics if I was you. The drive will be sold through multiple places. I'm sure online retailers and physical stores will have them.

Also let's wait and see what kind of plans Sony has for this first. I'm sure we will find out about it soon.

Mr.Phoenix

Why are you being purposefully difficult?

Again, you guys are confused and trying to confuse.

What you showing me is the PS5 Digital Edition BOX, if someone buy this by mistake the PS5 DE they can simple back to the shop and buy the regular PS5 and pay the difference. This happens A LOT, more in the Xbox case than the PS5 because Xbox have a bunch of SKUs.
f someone buys the New PS5 by mistake and finds out it doesn't come with a disc drive. They can simply go back to the store and buy the disc drive. like wtf? Doesn't what you are saying go both ways? Furthermore, lets say they even make the mistake of buying the PS5 that boldly says disc drive needed to play discs on the box, then go on to buy a few games. I am sure the store people will inform them they need to get a disc drive for it too.

How is it fine in your head, to buy a PS5 digital edition (by mistake) and just easily go to the store with your reboxed PS5 and swap for the PS5 disc version and pay the difference, but you cant somehow see that is all a more complex scenario than just going back to the store with your new console comfortably still plugged in at home (no reboxing needed) and just buy a disc add on instead????
Now, what about the PS5 slim? Will come with disc drive or not? If not, are they gonna sell another SKU with the disc drive or the shop will sell a bunch of separete disc drives with the Playstation logo? If so, why do we need to buy the official disc drive if everyone could replace with generic ones? What the box of the PS5 will suggest?
Now you are just reaching.
Those are the questions. There will be no more 2 SKUs (PS5 + PS5 DE), instead you guys are suggesting replace 2 SKU with one single SKU that have the ability to replace a disc drive, but are consumers asking those question before buying? Is easy for us from a gaming forum to understand those questions, but in a consumers pespective this can be very confusing.
At this point, you are just arguing for the sake of arguing...

Why are you being purposefully difficult?

f someone buys the New PS5 by mistake and finds out it doesn't come with a disc drive. They can simply go back to the store and buy the disc drive. like wtf? Doesn't what you are saying go both ways? Furthermore, lets say they even make the mistake of buying the PS5 that boldly says disc drive needed to play discs on the box, then go on to buy a few games. I am sure the store people will inform them they need to get a disc drive for it too.

How is it fine in your head, to buy a PS5 digital edition (by mistake) and just easily go to the store with your reboxed PS5 and swap for the PS5 disc version and pay the difference, but you cant somehow see that is all a more complex scenario than just going back to the store with your new console comfortably still plugged in at home (no reboxing needed) and just buy a disc add on instead????

Now you are just reaching.

At this point, you are just arguing for the sake of arguing...

You make a good point there. It would be a lot easier to just get the drive to solve the issue than turning in a PS5 DE for a PS5 Disk version.

I honestly don't see this becoming some huge issue. Just like I didn't see the NVME upgrade being a big issue.

Kilau

I wouldn't worry about logistics if I was you. The drive will be sold through multiple places. I'm sure online retailers and physical stores will have them.

Also let's wait and see what kind of plans Sony has for this first. I'm sure we will find out about it soon.
I’m not worried, just looking at potential scenarios. As you say though, we will find out their plans soon enough.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Now, what about the PS5 slim?
Person buys the new PS5. Wants a drive and didn't realize it was missing. Goes back to the shop and pays 99$ for the drive, and now has a Drive enabled PS5. No need for returns.

Will come with disc drive or not? If not, are they gonna sell another SKU with the disc drive
Possibly - though I hypothesized they could just skip official bundling and let shops bundle it for a reduced MSRP.
Ie:
PS5 - 399
DiscDrive - 129
PS5 + Drive when bought together - 499 (discount at tilt).

If so, why do we need to buy the official disc drive if everyone could replace with generic ones?
But you can't replace it with generic anything. Or to put it another way - you buy official drive for the same reason you buy/bought official XBox Series storage accessory, official 360 HDD accessory, official 360 HDVD drive accessory, official PSVita memory card, official PSP Memory Stick Pro, official PS2 HDD+Network Adapter box...

Is easy for us from a gaming forum to understand those questions, but in a consumers pespective this can be very confusing.
I don't really know what questions are confusing here? Buying the console vs not buying the console? Is that new?
The above short-list is not even close to exhaustive - market's always been full of 'options' like these, and it didn't confuse consumers before - not sure why it'd suddenly start now.

Mr.Phoenix

You make a good point there. It would be a lot easier to just get the drive to solve the issue than turning in a PS5 DE for a PS5 Disk version.

I honestly don't see this becoming some huge issue. Just like I didn't see the NVME upgrade being a big issue.
Of course it would... and what I find shocking is that its a common sense issue.And he had the sense to point out that `you can easily go to store to swap consoles and pay the difference` but somehow didn't think that if you are willing to do all that, then you would be better off just going to pickup a disc drive ad on instead.

And of course, its being made out to be some huge logistic nightmare, whereas its an even more straightforward and elegant solution than having two totally different consoles on the market. Its the whole concern-mongering rearing its ugly head again. Good you mentioned the NVME thing.. just look at how much of a massive issue that has become! All that concern is vindicated!!! lol. When we now actually have PS-branded NVME SSDs.

Of course it would... and what I find shocking is that its a common sense issue.And he had the sense to point out that `you can easily go to store to swap consoles and pay the difference` but somehow didn't think that if you are willing to do all that, then you would be better off just going to pickup a disc drive ad on instead.

And of course, its being made out to be some huge logistic nightmare, whereas its an even more straightforward and elegant solution than having two totally different consoles on the market. Its the whole concern-mongering rearing its ugly head again. Good you mentioned the NVME thing.. just look at how much of a massive issue that has become! All that concern is vindicated!!! lol. When we now actually have PS-branded NVME SSDs.

My NVME wasn't PS branded but it had a sticker on the box saying that it's compatible with the PS5.

Maybe in the beginning there will be some stock issues but I'm sure they won't last long. We shouldn't go a year with scalpers selling the drives on ebay.

Audiophile

Gold Member
Big supporter of physical media, but like the idea of an add-on drive. Gives every future buyer an option to upgrade to disc capabilities rather than be forever locked into the digital-only ecosystem if they go that way initially. Also reduces number of SKUs required from 3-4 to 2 if they also do a Pro next year. Bonus points if the drive is interchangeable between the "Slim" & Pro. One other little extra is it's easier to replace a faulty drive on the rare occasion one kicks the bucket.

It also gives a more budget-oriented buyer a slightly cheaper initial entry to the PS platform; where even if they do want a disc drive, they can maybe get the console now -- enjoy their digital library in the meantime and then pick up the drive in a month or two for eg.

Would also be cool if Sony sold a dirt-cheap official enclosure for the new add-on drive with a USB-A connection for existing Digital Edition owners to have an upgrade path.

I can see a $349 "Slim" & $499 Pro. I'm hoping it's $49 for the drive add-on at most. The manufacture BoM for the entire drive unit should be max $25. Of course, like with the disc console they'll be marking up to subsidise, but I don't think they can get away with a $99 drive add-on. Even though it would effectively be the same deal as a Digital vs Disc Console; I don't believe the consumer will be as accepting when it's framed that way. Buying a complete console for $100 extra vs buying a $99 peripheral; it just comes off different psychologically.

Last edited:

sachos

If this is real they kinda made it look even weirder than before no? I guess that split in the plastic cover is for you to slide the disc drive in/out?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don't think he is saying what he posted was a fake its for people saying its not a complete system which its not

Where ever he works seems to mold the entire outer shell of the PS5 before all the electronics get put in and he is just showing the shell before it gets shipped off to have the guts installed
Shipped off to China for their new knock off...
Funny Dance Dancing GIF by Norwalk Brew House

Last edited:
I do not get why people is trying to decided the final cost of the console and the drive by matching the actual cost, 499 dollars / 549 euros. For me the bluray drive should cost 49 bucks. Really how much an ultra simple device like a disc reader should cost?

supernova8

Banned
I do not get why people is trying to decided the final cost of the console and the drive by matching the actual cost, 499 dollars / 549 euros. For me the bluray drive should cost 49 bucks. Really how much an ultra simple device like a disc reader should cost?
Without any context, sure it should be something cheap like $50, but look at it from Sony's perspective. Sony (like the other platform holders) don't really want us to have access to physical media.

What they really want is for the consoles to be digital-only so that:
1) all transactions (since they're digital and via the Playstation store) go through them
2) they won't have give anyone a "cut" of their first party title sales (ie retailers and the cost of burning to discs, packaging, shipping, etc.etc.etc.)

I can absolutely see Sony pricing the attachable drive at $100 because think about the two types of consumers involved:

A) you want a disc drive no matter so you'll pay whatever they charge (because they'll probably make it with some sort of proprietary connection so you have no choice)
B) you're not really that bothered about having a disc drive, and $100 is "phew a lot of money for a blu ray drive" so you opt to buy digital instead at least initially, and then sit on the decision of whether to get a disc drive later.

Sony wins either way.

Plus, imagine if they priced the redesigned console (without a drive) at $249 and then offered the disc drive for $149. That's $400 total, so still a saving over the current disc edition price, but you'd also get a bunch of people impulse buying it at $249. Even bigger killer is that it would essentially force Microsoft to discount the Series S (which is currently $299) or at least offer several months of Game Pass to sweeten the deal.

More realistically, I could imagine them saying $349 for the redesign and then $99 for the attachable disc drive. That gives them a total price of $449, which is still a price cut but leaves room to discount later on. I think the disc drive will stay at $99 though.

Assuming this is not a precursor to them completely taking away the ability to have a disc drive with the PS6, I think it's a good move all round because (I'm making some assumptions here) a lower "entry" price for PS5 increases the PS5 installed base even faster, which hopefully leads to developers/publishers dropping cross-gen sooner, which hopefully leads to more games really making use of the hardware, which hopefully leads to more people wanting a PS5, which hopefully....and so on and so forth.

Last edited:

Ronin_7

Banned

It'll be 399 the Console at least in the US.

The drive will be sold separately to whoever wants one.

Without any context, sure it should be something cheap like $50, but look at it from Sony's perspective. Sony (like the other platform holders) don't really want us to have access to physical media.

What they really want is for the consoles to be digital-only so that:
1) all transactions (since they're digital and via the Playstation store) go through them
2) they won't have give anyone a "cut" of their first party title sales (ie retailers and the cost of burning to discs, packaging, shipping, etc.etc.etc.)

I can absolutely see Sony pricing the attachable drive at $100 because think about the two types of consumers involved:

A) you want a disc drive no matter so you'll pay whatever they charge (because they'll probably make it with some sort of proprietary connection so you have no choice)
B) you're not really that bothered about having a disc drive, and $100 is "phew a lot of money for a blu ray drive" so you opt to buy digital instead at least initially, and then sit on the decision of whether to get a disc drive later.

Sony wins either way.

Plus, imagine if they priced the redesigned console (without a drive) at $249 and then offered the disc drive for $149. That's $400 total, so still a saving over the current disc edition price, but you'd also get a bunch of people impulse buying it at $249. Even bigger killer is that it would essentially force Microsoft to discount the Series S (which is currently $299) or at least offer several months of Game Pass to sweeten the deal.

More realistically, I could imagine them saying $349 for the redesign and then $99 for the attachable disc drive. That gives them a total price of $449, which is still a price cut but leaves room to discount later on. I think the disc drive will stay at $99 though.

Assuming this is not a precursor to them completely taking away the ability to have a disc drive with the PS6, I think it's a good move all round because (I'm making some assumptions here) a lower "entry" price for PS5 increases the PS5 installed base even faster, which hopefully leads to developers/publishers dropping cross-gen sooner, which hopefully leads to more games really making use of the hardware, which hopefully leads to more people wanting a PS5, which hopefully....and so on and so forth.
I understand your points and I'm not want to attack your opinion/scenarios; that is not where I would put the attention with my previous comment. My point is that you are still justify to be robbed from Sony (or any other company) for whatever reason with your assumptions.
I do not understand why people is obsessed in justify, or using your words, thinking from a company perspective, why a peripheral should cost or act or whatever. I mean, for the sake of God, why not start to judge things only from a customer perspective?
For example, this is a disk drive reader; that technology is from the nineties. It should cost like 19, 29, 39, or even 49 bucks. There is no justification in paying more than that, up to 100 bucks or more. Are people really happy to find an excuse and justify an inflated price for whatever reason they think even without any proof that their thoughts/ideas are validated?
Let's compare it with the dual sense cost. The dual sense has some research and development costs and maybe royalties for the new features it has. How can a disk drive cost more than that? No way.

I would pay that drive with an "inflated price" IF I would be 100% sure that any laws, environmental law, worker rights and whatever would be fulfilled. But that is far from reality.

I would like to stress the point to shift to a "less marketing" towards a "more objective" approach.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I understand your points and I'm not want to attack your opinion/scenarios; that is not where I would put the attention with my previous comment. My point is that you are still justify to be robbed from Sony (or any other company) for whatever reason with your assumptions.
I do not understand why people is obsessed in justify, or using your words, thinking from a company perspective, why a peripheral should cost or act or whatever. I mean, for the sake of God, why not start to judge things only from a customer perspective?
For example, this is a disk drive reader; that technology is from the nineties. It should cost like 19, 29, 39, or even 49 bucks. There is no justification in paying more than that, up to 100 bucks or more. Are people really happy to find an excuse and justify an inflated price for whatever reason they think even without any proof that their thoughts/ideas are validated?
Let's compare it with the dual sense cost. The dual sense has some research and development costs and maybe royalties for the new features it has. How can a disk drive cost more than that? No way.

I would pay that drive with an "inflated price" IF I would be 100% sure that any laws, environmental law, worker rights and whatever would be fulfilled. But that is far from reality.

I would like to stress the point to shift to a "less marketing" towards a "more objective" approach.

First, no one is getting "robbed" by Sony regardless of the price. No one is forced to pay a thing. Second, from a customer perspective, Sony pricing can be viewed not just from a cost basis, but value added. Obviously Sony believes that the DE console removed $100 of value from the PS5. Makes sense that the option to add the drive to the PS5 slim adds $100 of value.

Ultimately, pricing of products is based just as much on what the company thinks the product will sell for. Supply and demand.

Sony believes that the DE console removed $100 of value from the PS5. Makes sense that the option to add the drive to the PS5 slim adds $100 of value.
That is exactly what I'm talking about; Sony/a company does the premise and almost everyone is following (justify) it without any dubt on what is happening. You are justify a price 100 bucks for a disk reader.
Instead I do not follow any premise. I'm just asking myself what should be the cost for a disk reader which doesn't use a particular technology. And of course I would not buying it at an inflated price and waiting for a discount even if I need it (almost all my games are on disk).

Topher

Gold Member
That is exactly what I'm talking about; Sony/a company does the premise and almost everyone is following (justify) it without any dubt on what is happening. You are justify a price 100 bucks for a disk reader.
Instead I do not follow any premise. I'm just asking myself what should be the cost for a disk reader which doesn't use a particular technology. And of course I would not buying it at an inflated price and waiting for a discount even if I need it (almost all my games are on disk).

I don't need to "justify" anything. If I decide I'm fine paying $100 for the drive then that's that. Otherwise, I'll wait for a sale just like you. Either way, I'm not going to obsess over how much it cost the company to make the thing. If you feel the need to do that then that is up to you.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Microsoft told us this before the gen started, it's detailed with Digital Foundry before launch.
Indeed. It's why they created the Series S - they saw no benefit in waiting for process shrinks to create revised hardware given that the cost per transistor was likely to remain flat or even go up in future revisions. Whether or not the Series S itself was a good decision is debatable, but their rationale seems to have proven out. This gives us some insight into what to expect moving forward. If Sony is trying to price drop the PS5, it could be why we're seeing a hardware revision where the drive is optional - it's the only way to offset the price drop because digital only consoles provide bigger margins. If all that true, the "Pro" console would likely be priced much higher than the base PS5 - with no mid-gen process shrink price improvement, if the Pro has beefier specs, it's simply going to cost that much more. Perhaps this is why Microsoft doesn't seem to have a Pro console in the works - they know the price of the hardware would be too much for them to offset in their current market position.

Three

There is no reason why they wouldn't sell it. It's likely to be sold at a profit with a retailer margin, along with the potential for physical sales.

supernova8

Banned
I understand what you're saying. My counter argument is that it actually makes MORE sense to look at things in terms of what Sony is likely to actually do rather than "the customer perspective".

Why? Because there are millions upon millions of customers all with their own thoughts, desires, hopes, dreams, fears and, more importantly, budget for this sort of thing. Like I said, I agree that it should cost no more than $49 if it were up to me considering what it actually is, but it's not up to me and Sony doesn't care what I think.

There's only one Sony and therefore only one direction they can take in the end (ie one of many options, but only one, as opposed to the overall customer base that is extremely varied).

Besides, you say there's no excuse to pay $100 or more for a disc drive. Likewise, there's no reason for Sony to only charge $49 when there will be consumers out there willing to pay $100 for that same disc drive. It works both ways. Using your logic, the Nintendo Switch should only cost about $99 by now (they most likely already made back their investment and then some), but it doesn't because people are still willing to pay RRP for it.

Last edited:

Kilau

There is no reason why they wouldn't sell it. It's likely to be sold at a profit with a retailer margin, along with the potential for physical sales.
I think it could depend on how Sony can market it. Their trend lately is starting with their online store. Still have to wait and see what the actual SKU/s will be.

Elios83

This is wrong on different levels.
Even if a die shrink doesn't traslate in a cheaper APU anymore, they'll still lower power consumption and that will lead on savings on heatsink, power supply, materials and cheaper components with lower ratings.
Sony is able to cut PS5 manufacturing costs every year with new models. They already had a 6nm shrink and we'll find out what they're using in this new PS5 model.

Also console manufacturers rarely target the most advanced manufacturing process available at the time where you end up paying a premium and yields are not excellent but the most widely available and proven for mass manufacturing so the fact they won't save even just on silicon is all to be proved.

REDRZA MWS

You can sell them and loan them, they are also cheaper most of the time. Savings > clutter.
To each their own, but I’ve noticed used physical prices going WAY down, and not just the clutter, the pain in the ass of having to get up and switch discs to verify sone physical dem.

If physical games were still played off the the disc drive I’d have zero problem with any of this. lastly , i only buy games I REALLY WANT, so i dont mind paying full price.

Lastly , you are forgetting, if you have someone to game share with you are literally paying half price all gen. Pretty sure you save much more than selling or trading in useless clutter.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Microsoft told us this before the gen started, it's detailed with Digital Foundry before launch.
It goes beyond that… it is far less of a proof that the S was a great idea than you think (it is not), it goes beyond that.

Unless we have true breakthroughs, generations should be getting longer not shorter if you honestly care about maximising user value (releasing Pro consoles or iterative HW every few years is the opposite of that).
Consoles are already big and expensive, they do not have a lot to grow there. It is possible that the next generation will launch at $499-599 (latter with the disc reader bundled with it), but that is the last big bump they can have without pushing themselves off of the mainstream market.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Indeed. It's why they created the Series S - they saw no benefit in waiting for process shrinks to create revised hardware given that the cost per transistor was likely to remain flat or even go up in future revisions. Whether or not the Series S itself was a good decision is debatable, but their rationale seems to have proven out. This gives us some insight into what to expect moving forward. If Sony is trying to price drop the PS5, it could be why we're seeing a hardware revision where the drive is optional - it's the only way to offset the price drop because digital only consoles provide bigger margins. If all that true, the "Pro" console would likely be priced much higher than the base PS5 - with no mid-gen process shrink price improvement, if the Pro has beefier specs, it's simply going to cost that much more. Perhaps this is why Microsoft doesn't seem to have a Pro console in the works - they know the price of the hardware would be too much for them to offset in their current market position.

I don't think it's smart to base this off of what MS is doing. They are the last people I'd listen to about this actually.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

So no 5nm and removal of the LM? So they'll just stick with the current 6nm, unless a deal was cut for the pro and base to be on the same fab process. My gut still says the same 6nm for the new base model which is for a streamlined assembly process and a more available $400 SKU going into the holidays for the 25m projection.

What seems strange to me is that Sony is trying by all means at its disposal to manufacture the largest number of PS5 at the lowest cost and to be able to lower the price through reviews and Xbox nothing, the Series S and Series X that are being sold now It is the same one that came out almost 3 years ago.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
DF discusses it and seems John can't wrap his head around the drive being optional as he says he thinks should stay with 2 skus and selling the disk model is the best option

Timestamped

Last edited:
Top Bottom