• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKK

I really don't get why telling people from the UK that they don't get to cut in line is a threat. It is simply a fact.

I mean, trade deals are incredibly complex and take an enormous of mount of time and effort. The trade agreements that the US is currently working on will obviously take priority over a British trade deal, especially since the British - US trade isnt comparatively massive. It will happen, but you don't get cutsees just because you are the UK

Though going by the stupidity displayed in this vote I guess we shouldnt be surprised that some people thought that statement was a threat

Of course, but there's a difference between stating the facts that trade deals are complex and may take a while, and reading from political propoganda supplied by a domestic political party (would Obama really use Queue instead of line?). It's just a big no no. Even though the whole UK political establishment may be against Trump, they don't get involved. It would be completely against political etiquette for a UK politician to support a partisan policy in the US. It was really considered politically unethical by a great many people in the UK.

Moosichu

Hahahahahaha.

Of course. That's probably it only took him hours to backpedal on the NHS bit when Leave won.

Farage is a snake disguised as a man.

This is from 2015. It's old news. He's never backpedalled on anything. UKIP have shown nothing but disdain for the NHS.

Turnout was high, but 2 of the countries that make up the UK disagreed with the decision entirely, and the ultimate results weren't even a 55-45 split. That's not really a decent mandate.

That might be a convincing argument for the UK, but the EU is going to need a lot more than that.

The problem that the majority of people disagreed with you?

Disagreed with me?

The only thing I care about is my stock portfolio. The UK can vote to blow itself up but don't expect the US to pick up the pieces.

Also, I highly doubt it is a majority, now. The regret I'm seeing across the board is real.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

J7Z9OIe.gif

Turnout was high, but 2 of the countries that make up the UK disagreed with the decision entirely, and the ultimate results weren't even a 55-45 split. That's not really a decent mandate.

although i voted remain, you cant say the countries that voted remain voted entirely. NI barely voted remain and a third of scotland voted leave.

I know many remain voters who wouldnt vote for a scottish independence just to go back to the eu.

Hasney

How's this related to brexit again?

The university she is with has a working relationship with Reykjavik University, so her third year would have been a funded stay but as she would still be with the UK university, student loans and bursaries from the UK would still apply. That relationship requires funding from the UK university, which the EU provided. That is now gone.

I'll get those links, but no I'm not asking for the US to fall over itself, just not to threaten the UK people that they will be "at the back of the queue" if they vote on a matter of sovereignty which doesn't precisely allign with US foreign policy.

Anyway, my original point was simply that Obama's statement was probably counter-productive.
It's not about just "aligning with US foreign policy" and it's not a threat to simply state the reality of the situation.

The US has just completed the thirteenth round of negotiations over the TTIP, which began in 2013, with the EU. Which the UK will no longer be party to. There shouldn't be any expectation that the UK will suddenly be top of the pile and that it's a quick and easy process to get a trade deal with the US, when by itself, as an export market it's similar to like a Hong Kong or Brazil than the remaining EU bloc. Which was one of the many falsehoods that Leave proponents put forward about the place of the UK in the world if they left.

Revel in the newfound further reduced relevance.

RefigeKru

Banned
I don't know what people wished to accomplish by voting Leave.

Like without branding you all racists and xenophobes because of immigration and what not.. What else? Was that it?

BKK

Tony Blair got fuck all for being Bush's attack poodle. I don't think you understand how American foreign policy works.

I'm pretty sure that we got everything that we publicly requested off of the US during that period. Not that I'm a fan of Blair's, and implying that he lacked US foreign policy understanding may be fair, but it was certainly not my opinion.

Hasney

I don't know what people wished to accomplish by voting Leave.

Like without branding you all racists and xenophobes because of immigration and what not.. What else? Was that it?

Other than immagration, I've heard protest vote a lot. I mean, they fucked themselves over yet more, but man, they gave Cameron the middle finger!

Zaph

Of course, but there's a difference between stating the facts that trade deals are complex and may take a while, and reading from political propoganda supplied by a domestic political party (would Obama really use Queue instead of line?). It's just a big no no. Even though the whole UK political establishment may be against Trump, they don't get involved. It would be completely against political etiquette for a UK politician to support a partisan policy in the US. It was really considered politically unethical by a great many people in the UK.

The US is the world's largest economy and a close ally. Obama is the most powerful man in the world. Brexit very much involves the economy.

It would be stupid and irresponsible to *not* seek his honest opinion, even if it favours a side or sounds hostile to some (it isn't)

Your point makes no sense unless you're against outside advice in general and like to keep your world as small as possible.

Purkake4

Banned
The university she is with has a working relationship with Reykjavik University, so her third year would have been a funded stay but as she would still be with the UK university, student loans and bursaries from the UK would still apply. That relationship requires funding from the UK university, which the EU provided. That is now gone.
Ok, it'll be gone when the UK leave negotiations are finished though (and even then there's a good change that there will be some kind of student exchange clause included). Nothing happening overnight here, other than stock markets doing their thing.

RefigeKru

Banned
Other than immagration, I've heard protest vote a lot. I mean, they fucked themselves over yet more, but man, they gave Cameron the middle finger!

Protest vote... Anyone claiming a protest vote needs to be told they're also capable of you know - actual, 100% genuine protest.

I've felt physically sick all day. I can't even enjoy Cameron leaving. And I hate the bastard.

The next logical step was emboldened and unabashed racism.

The Adder

Banned
although i voted remain, you cant say the countries that voted remain voted entirely. NI barely voted remain and a third of scotland voted leave.

I know many remain voters who wouldnt vote for a scottish independence just to go back to the eu.

I'm American, I have a predisposition to viewing it as the conclusion that the territories reached. As far as I know, there was nowhere in Scotland that was majority Leave. I'm, admittedly, less clear on Ireland because I can't find a map that will pare it down properly.

The world simply does not have the luxury of waiting for the UK to make up its mind to undo a world-shaking change, especially the EU.

Do they have any mechanism by which to do anything about it in less than two years?

Well the petition is for the UK. As for the EU, the UK hasn't invoked article 50 yet.

Yeah erm I don't think that matters anymore. On the 23rd of June 17.5 milion Brits burnt the last bridge we had in Europe. It does not matter if in the cold light of day we realise it was a mistake, what matters is we did it.

We are leaving the EU. Even if we have changed our mind now it doesn't matter. The EU have had enough, they don't want us in the EU any more. Now sure we can drag it out as long as we want but that will only make things worse.

Make no mistake after the 23rd it is no longer a question of whether we want to be in the EU. The question now is whether the EU still wants us (and from what I have seen they don't).

Hasney

Ok, it'll be gone when the UK leave negotiations are finished though (and even then there's a good change that there will be some kind of student exchange clause included). Nothing happening overnight here, other than stock markets doing their thing.

No, they've stopped the process immediately, they ended up sending an email out at 8pm tonight since they've thrashed it out.. Those going this September are OK and after that, no more abroad studies. Hopefully something is sorted in the next 6 months, but I'm not holding my breath.

FunkyMonk

After the things I heard yesterday this doesn't surprise me, quite a few people figure they don't need to hide their xenophobia now. I had to explain to a young lad in my department yesterday that no, Pakistan isn't in the EU when he gleefully announced that "We can get rid of the F*****g P**is now'. He then went on to ask what the EU actually does. That's not including the chants I heard in the town centre when I nipped in to grab a few bits on my way home.

*Note I'm not saying that all folk who voted Leave are xenophobic, i know a few folk with decent arguments backing up their opinion but, from what I've seen in person, they're in the minority.

**Oh and that petition floating around - nothing will come of it. The people have spoken, just because I strongly believe they're wrong doesn't matter. The majority want out and if the government choose to ignore it without a mandate there will be rioting and I know some glib folk will chuckle about 55+ year olds in a riot but they won't be the ones hitting the streets - it'll be the EDL and other groups which will only heighten racial tensions. Additionally CharmingCharlie is likely right - I don't think the EU wants us after this.

Joeytj

Banned
It's not about just "aligning with US foreign policy" and it's not a threat to simply state the reality of the situation.

The US has just completed the thirteenth round of negotiations over the TTIP, which began in 2013, with the EU. Which the UK will no longer be party to. There shouldn't be any expectation that the UK will suddenly be top of the pile and that it's a quick and easy process to get a trade deal with the US, when by itself, as an export market it's similar to like a Hong Kong or Brazil than the remaining EU bloc. Which was one of the many falsehoods that Leave proponents put forward about the place of the UK in the world if they left.

This.

Pro-Leavers kid themselves in thinking the UK by itself is as relevant as the whole EU, when in reality, it is it's integration into Europe and the rest of the world which makes it an important economy, as it always has been. The UK has always been as important as it's colonies, territories or trading partners are, but by itself? It's MUCH less important than the European Union, China, Canada or Mexico, and less than Germany, South Korea or Japan.

The EU is a much more important trading partner to the U.S. than the UK is by itself. It's a "special relationship" but that doesn't mean it's more important that Europe.

Nobody but Europe is going to trip over themselves in order to arrange a special treaty with the UK now that it's out of the EU. It's the UK that will have to do the beggin now, and it won't have much of a choice.

RK9039

After the things I heard yesterday this doesn't surprise me, quite a few people figure they don't need to hide their xenophobia now. I had to explain to a young lad in my department yesterday that no Pakistan isn't in the EU when he gleefully announced that "We can get rid of the F*****g P**is now'. He then went on to ask what the EU actually does. That's not including the chants I heard in the town centre when I nipped in to grab a few bits on my way home.

*Note I'm not saying that all folk who voted Leave are xenophobic, i know a few folk with decent arguments backing up their opinion but, from what I've seen in person, they're in the minority.

How can people be this thick? fucking hell.

It was always going to be about immigration because deep down this country ideas incrediblely racist.

Oh yeah, it's racist to the core.

The Adder

Banned

If one votes with a group that is lead and motivated primarily by racists xenophobes, I, personally, am pretty comfortable labeling them as a racist xenophobe no matter how they might protest.

Yeah erm I don't think that matters anymore. On the 23rd of June 17.5 milion Brits burnt the last bridge we had in Europe. It does not matter if in the cold light of day we realise it was a mistake, what matters is we did it.

We are leaving the EU. Even if we have changed our mind now it doesn't matter. The EU have had enough, they don't want us in the EU any more. Now sure we can drag it out as long as we want but that will only make things worse.

Make no mistake after the 23rd it is no longer a question of whether we want to be in the EU. The question now is whether the EU still wants us (and from what I have seen they don't).

Just trying to hold out some kind of hope for you all across the Atlantic, cousin. It's all I've got.

Azih

I'm pretty sure that we got everything that we publicly requested off of the US during that period. Not that I'm a fan of Blair's, and implying that he lacked US foreign policy understanding may be fair, but it was certainly not my opinion.
Nope. Bush slapped steel tariffs on the UK and only backed off when the WTO backed the UK and the EU threatened retaliation. Bush also punked Blair's aspirations on climate change.

Purkake4

Banned
No, they've stopped the process immediately, they ended up sending an email out at 8pm tonight since they've thrashed it out.. Those going this September are OK and after that, no more abroad studies. Hopefully something is sorted in the next 6 months, but I'm not holding my breath.
Pretty stupid to jump the gun like that, but I guess it's up to them. There are plenty of scholarships around for studying in any of the Nordic countries as well. And if you want to save on the living expenses there's Prague or Tallinn for example.

Damerman

After the things I heard yesterday this doesn't surprise me, quite a few people figure they don't need to hide their xenophobia now. I had to explain to a young lad in my department yesterday that no, Pakistan isn't in the EU when he gleefully announced that "We can get rid of the F*****g P**is now'. He then went on to ask what the EU actually does. That's not including the chants I heard in the town centre when I nipped in to grab a few bits on my way home.

**Oh and that petition floating around - nothing will come of it. The people have spoken, just because I strongly believe they're wrong doesn't matter. The majority want out and if the government choose to ignore it without a mandate there will be rioting and I know some glib folk will chuckle about 55+ year olds in a riot but they won't be the ones hitting the streets - it'll be the EDL and other groups which will only heighten racial tensions. Additionally CharmingCharlie is likely right - I don't think the EU wants us after this.
Jesus christ, this disaster just doesn't stop surprising me.

Pandy

And I know many 'Remain' voters who voted 'No' in the Scottish Indy ref who are now desperate for an Indy ref 2.
My anecdotal evidence cancels out your anecdotal evidence, and your point vanishes like smoke.

The whole point of an Indy ref 2 would be to give those who voted 'No' thinking they'd stay in the EU (and also those 'Yes' voters who wanted to leave the EU) to reconsider their votes in the light of the EU referendum.

Also, you can't say NI 'barely' voted remain, when their margin was wider than the UK result.

BKK

Well yes, that is what happens when you try to negotiate a trade deal with 28 (27) countries. In those breaks between the thirteen previous rounds they probably could have come to a conclusion with a UK trade deal far earlier. This is the issue, probably the most free-trading country in the whole of Europe has to wait until the other 27 countries (some like France, quite protectionist) can finally agree on a common agreed deal.

For each bi-lateral trade deal you have to first get the common agreement of 27 other countries. It's ludicrous, by the time a trade deal has been agreed with the EU, the world has moved on. Trade is differerent. In my opinion the 21st century will favour small, quick, nimble economies. Ones that can negotiate quick enough to take advantage of opportunities will outperform slow lumbering economies that are too slow to take advantage of new opportunities. Still, we're talking about small percentages, we could still be somewhat successful even if we remained.

You don't have to guess how I voted, but if I was in the minority I would accept that's democracy, and try everything to make the best of how people voted. Hopefully we can convince everyone that working together is better than working against each other.

Also, talking about the FTSE 100 is disingenous. the largest chunks of that are multinationals who don't care what happens.
FTSE 250 is largely UK companies, and it's down 10-12%.

Wait, so it's disingenuous to use a metric of the 100 largest companies in Britain? It has no effect until it includes the top 250? Also I'm pretty sure multinationals care when this makes it harder for them to do business.....

FunkyMonk

Jesus christ, this disaster just doesn't stop surprising me.

I wish it did surprise me but I knew this was bubbling away under the surface, people would let their guard down and reveal it in flashes and now this vote has enabled them. I hope to hell & back that it simmers back down but the ugly side of England has had a massive boost and it isn't going anywhere.

People think that Obama's "back of the queue" comment was some kind of fuck-you to the UK. It isn't. Obama is just telling people that the UK by itself is not gonna have the same bargaining power as the EU in its entirety. It's not a threat, and the US isn't going go out of its way to fuck the UK over. He's just stating the facts.

So to me it sounds like people are angry that there's any consequences to Brexit at all. It's like just now they're finding out that the UK will *GASP*, actually be disadvantaged in some ways by the exit from the EU.

I want to see the fucking leave voters on GAF defend this. But they won't, because they can't. Absolutely disgusting, makes me furious.
You don't think most of the people voting leave also think this behavior is disgusting?

Unless you think that most of Britain is full of horrible racists.

Best

Wait, so it's disingenuous to use a metric of the 100 largest companies in Britain? It has no effect until it includes the top 250? Also I'm pretty sure multinationals care when this makes it harder for them to do business.....

UK makes up only part of multinationals' revenues. The UK could tank and stocks like Vodafone do okay. Similarly the UK could be fine but trouble in the Chinese economy causes the 100 to crash because it's full of mining firms who sell loads to China. The 100 isn't a foolproof bellwether for the UK domestic economy.

The FTSE 250 includes a lot more firms who rely highly on the UK for revenue, so it's seen as a better indicator.

platocplx

If one votes with a group that is lead and motivated primarily by racists xenophobes, I, personally, am pretty comfortable labeling them as a racist xenophobe no matter how they might protest.
Right. Its like arguing a broken clock still works because it shows the right time twice a day. Like The people they are aligning with are blatant racists and xenophobes.

Damerman

Well yes, that is what happens when you try to negotiate a trade deal with 28 (27) countries. In those breaks between the thirteen previous rounds they probably could have come to a conclusion with a UK trade deal far earlier. This is the issue, probably the most free-trading country in the whole of Europe has to wait until the other 27 countries (some like France, quite protectionist) can finally agree on a common agreed deal.

For each bi-lateral trade deal you have to first get the common agreement of 27 other countries. It's ludicrous, by the time a trade deal has been agreed with the EU, the world has moved on. Trade is differerent. In my opinion the 21st century will favour small, quick, nimble economies. Ones that can negotiate quick enough to take advantage of opportunities will outperform slow lumbering economies that are too slow to take advantage of new opportunities. Still, we're talking about small percentages, we could still be somewhat successful even if we remained.

You don't have to guess how I voted, but if I was in the minority I would accept that's democracy, and try everything to make the best of how people voted. Hopefully we can convince everyone that working together is better than working against each other.
the only thing that slows down an economy are extremes on the laissez fair/socialist spectrum. Being big doesn't slow you down. If anything is true, its that economies of scale is what has brought so much prosperity in developed countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom