• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShogunX

Just suspend the UK, what an indulgent little people they have become.

Behave. Nearly half of us don't want this and you know fucking why?

Because It would be fantastic for all of us who voted Remain (because we said leaving would be a bad idea) to be told what Leave' voters voted for.

We are all negative apparently, so what are the realities

What happens to Scotland?
How soon does all this happen?
What will the trade deal be with Europe?
Who will we be trading with?
How much immigration and where from?
What are the 'European' laws and regulations that will be repealed and rewritten?
How much of the mythical £350 million will be spent on the NHS?
How will the regions that see themselves as less privileged going to be regenerated?

There's another thousand questions but those will do for a start. No negativity please don't tell us what's wrong with the EU or Cameron because they've both gone. You won.

People have been fucking duped, it's a swindle of epic proportions. You watch that Burnley video again and rather than laughing at the ignorance it's actually sad.

^It's like a mystery novel. Looking forward to the closer where all of the revelations get revealed. Plot twists galore.

Yeah he is. I like the chap, he a nice bloke, good activist, but no way Leader material.

Labour party is in a mess at the moment. Mp's split, support base split, many now ukip, and no one who look like they can move the party forward and unite everyone and win an election.

At the moment i wouldn't vote for them with a barge pole.

Time to ring Dave Miliband up?

If Corbyn has got to be replaced by anyone it would have to be somebody of Dave Miliband's stature to unify them, I think. It's also who I'd be cool with replacing Corbyn (even though I think people are being harsh on ol' Jezza).

lazygecko

13516487_1212795232093721_1193698545099011163_n.jpg

13414410_258354547872755_1036900650_n.jpg

Ashes

Banned
Once companies move their headquarters to the EU and the UK starts losing more money due to market instability and the economy contracts, then we will see the UK start speeding up that article 50 call out

The country voted for the side that had no manifesto. Who are the EU going to deal with? And on what grounds?

Crumpo

You seem to have no notion of how things are actually decided in the Eu, the member states signed off the deal and the deal the uk got was the best they were going to get

Let's just get this straight juncker isn't some grand God of Europe his power is extremely limited

God did they not cover this in modern studies at school in England or something. We covered it in 2nd year in Scotland

Nope. I got to 2nd year of law school at uni before I got taught about the EU in any detail.

This is the problem.

Tak3n

Banned
You seem to have no notion of how things are actually decided in the Eu, the member states signed off the deal and the deal the uk got was the best they were going to get

Let's just get this straight juncker isn't some grand God of Europe his power is extremely limited

God did they not cover this in modern studies at school in England or something. We covered it in 2nd year in Scotland

Saying the PM should of used it in his campaign! the world new what we were offered was rubbish, Cameron was getting slaughtered everytime he mentioned the reforms

Real Hero

Yeah he is. I like the chap, he a nice bloke, good activist, but no way Leader material.

Labour party is in a mess at the moment. Mp's split, support base split, many now ukip, and no one who look like they can move the party forward and unite everyone and win an election.

At the moment i wouldn't vote for them with a barge pole.

Time to ring Dave Miliband up?

what would they have to do for you to vote for them? David Milliband really?

norinrad

They are doing it right now by not invoking the article. The longer they wait, the more angry people and companies in the EU will become. Being held hostage by the UK doesn't make the EU happy.

In that case they should hold out even longer so the EU could be exposed as an out of touch undemocratic institution that needs to change for the good of all the countries within the EU

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Spain will very likely veto their admission if Scotland declares independence.
This depends on how it happens. There is a difference between it declaring independence by itself and the UK agreeing to split apart. The Catalonia situation is not exactly similar.And the union of the UK is not the same as Spain.

Is anyone else getting the impression that the Leave side really has no bloody clue about what to do now?

For a campaign based on the urgency for us to leave, the dangers of the EU's control/influence, and the financial implications of us remaining, it's rather disconcerting that everyone else is reacting apart from them.

AGoodODST

I just cant, this guy is a fucking idiot, does he not realise had he gave us something better the vote might of been different!!

Jean-Claude Juncker 'surprised' PM didn't use EU negotiations for Remain

No wonder Remain voters are salty as fuck. How can you be so ignorant? Do you even know what Juncker's role is? How the EU functions?

I guess that is a rhetorical question as you clearly don't.

EU is so much a threat and a counter-power to the US that Obama and all his predecessors have called for more EU and more Federalism : LOL.

EU is joke instigated by Monnet and Schuman two well-know American agents.

StNd

Because It would be fantastic for all of us who voted Remain (because we said leaving would be a bad idea) to be told what Leave' voters voted for.

We are all negative apparently, so what are the realities

What happens to Scotland?
How soon does all this happen?
What will the trade deal be with Europe?
Who will we be trading with?
How much immigration and where from?
What are the 'European' laws and regulations that will be repealed and rewritten?
How much of the mythical £350 million will be spent on the NHS?
How will the regions that see themselves as less privileged going to be regenerated?

There's another thousand questions but those will do for a start. No negativity please don't tell us what's wrong with the EU or Cameron because they've both gone. You won.

People have been fucking duped, it's a swindle of epic proportions. You watch that Burnley video again and rather than laughing at the ignorance it's actually sad.

So none of these questions even came up during the build-up to the referendum? That seems kinda nuts to me.

BigDes

Do any English people actually remember being taught about the way the EU works in school at all?

Cause I am wracking my brain and we got taught what the EU was, that it existed but I cannot remember a single lesson about how the EU system works

Now, this was what 15 years ago or thereabouts for me, so obviously not going to remember everything, but have more recent pupils ever had any lessons on the inner workings of the EU?

Uzzy

To Leave the European Union. You might have seen the question on a ballot paper recently.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'm one of those who likes Corbyn too. I think he would be good for the UK as a whole (maybe help mend the wounds in Scotland) and not just South England like certain PMs...
We've literally gone from Blair (shit), to Brown (even worse), to Cameron (also shit). And now potentially even worse candidates. It's about time we had a decent PM by now, lol. Tories and Labour are both broken in half now.

Corbyn is well-meaning but he's just a stubborn old man. Going on a chat show and saying he was "7.5 out of 10" in favour of staying in the EU was just pure selfishness, he didn't really give a shit and wasn't willing to put on a smile and get behind Remain with enthusiasm. He's not willing to yield to anyone else's opinion, even if it's the opinion of his party's MPs.

I genuinely think that if Ed Miliband was still Labour leader, Remain would have won. There was simply no leadership from Corbyn, if you cannot even make your party's position understood to it's members, you have failed utterly. He would not survive the maelstrom of a general election, he refuses to play the game and ends up being utterly irrelevant. At least Miliband put himself out there and tried to absorb the blows. Corbyn just hides.

So none of these questions even came up during the build-up to the referendum? That seems kinda nuts to me.

Of course they came up. Leave just didn't give any answers, yet they won anyway. TAKE BACK CONTROL was super effective on Daily Mail readers.

Tak3n

Banned
Nicola Sturgeon reminds me of a fly, she just keeps buzzing around and annoying people....it has been said multiple times the EU wont recognise them unless they legally get a referendum, and the Goverment has all ready said no..

and there is no guarantee she would even win another indy ref

Xun

More I think about it, the more I don't want to live in this country anymore. Since the result I've been constantly on the phone or exchanging messages with my European staff who, to a man, are all devastated and feel like the UK has rejected them. I know I'm going to lose good people because of this and it makes me sick.
I no longer feel English. Hopefully work goes through with the rumours and relocates my role so I can leave too.
I no longer felt English during the last general election, but this has certainly cemented it.

I'm out of here when I get a chance because this place is beyond saving.

Mindwipe

Is anyone else getting the impression that the Leave side really has no bloody clue about what to do now?

Very, very much so.

To be honest one of the only good things about this is in the short term the UK government has completely collapsed and is currently a dysfunctional mess. So, for example, you have to suspect in the short term some of their crazy censorship law proposals will go away.

chadskin

Well for a start the UK government doesn't have any negotiators...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36628897

As Article 50 (4) outlines, the 27 EU member states negotiate among themselves before they take the agreed upon proposal to the UK for further negotiations. That itself will take a while, hence there's really no reason for the UK not to invoke Article 50, other than Cameron not wanting to actually be responsible for that, perhaps.

The EU will either a) pressure Cameron to invoke Article 50, b) find a way to invoke Article 50 based on the referendum and comments made by Cameron yesterday or c) start the process unofficially and behind closed doors. Make no mistake, though, the process will start on Tuesday.

Moosichu

To Leave the European Union. You might have seen the question on a ballot paper recently.

But that doesn't even mean anything.

We are still going to influenced by the EU. And now there is going to be years of infighting about what that arrangement will be.

Lucumo

In that case they should hold out even longer so the EU could be exposed as an out of touch undemocratic institution that needs to change for the good of all the countries within the EU

Great that you want to fuck all of us over because of your views of the EU. You are a despicable person, honestly.

Do any English people actually remember being taught about the way the EU works in school at all?

Cause I am wracking my brain and we got taught what the EU was, that it existed but I cannot remember a single lesson about how the EU system works

Now, this was what 15 years ago or thereabouts for me, so obviously not going to remember everything, but have more recent pupils ever had any lessons on the inner workings of the EU?

Nope.

As a population, we're not really exposed the actual workings of the European Union.

Tuffty

Talking to a friend of mine who voted Leave. He was asking why I felt so strongly about Remain and explained to him about how it's a Tory power play in disguise, how Leave campaign had no guarantees or a manifesto on what happens after we leave etc. I then asked him what he thought about the lies that were exposed, the £350m not going to the NHS after all, the fact that the tone of the freedom of movement has changed after the vote, how they mislead people so that they're not getting what was promised because they knew it benefited the campaign. His response?

"For what it's worth I paid no attention to what was said so to me I wasn't lied to"

Fucking what?!

DiGiKerot

For a campaign based on the urgency for us to leave, the dangers of the EU's control/influence, and the financial implications of us remaining, it's rather disconcerting that everyone else is reacting apart from them.

What do you expect them to be doing? Boris isn't prime minister, and Farage isn't even an MP. They are under no obligation to do anything under their current roles. They've campaigned for making a very serious issue someone else's problem to deal with.

Audioboxer

Nicola Sturgeon reminds me of a fly, she just keeps buzzing around and annoying people....it has been said multiple times the EU wont recognise them unless they legally get a referendum, and the Goverment has all ready said no..

*I have big wishes Scotland shutup and just continue to be England's BITCH in this United Kingdom, forever*

Sorry bro. Nicola's going to get that 2nd ref done, and there is a reasonable chance we vote to leave you. Especially if the EU do grant at least discussions about keeping us.

Tak3n

Banned
Corbyn is well-meaning but he's just a stubborn old man. Going on a chat show and saying he was "7.5 out of 10" in favour of staying in the EU was just pure selfishness, he didn't really give a shit and wasn't willing to put on a smile and get behind Remain with enthusiasm. He's not willing to yield to anyone else's opinion, even if it's the opinion of his party's MPs.

I genuinely think that if Ed Miliband was still Labour leader, Remain would have won. There was simply no leadership from Corbyn, if you cannot even make your party's position understood to it's members, you have failed utterly. He would not survive the maelstrom of a general election, he refuses to play the game and ends up being utterly irrelevant. At least Miliband put himself out there and tried to absorb the blows. Corbyn just hides.

Of course they came up. Leave just didn't give any answers, yet they won anyway. TAKE BACK CONTROL was super effective on Daily Mail readers.

The problem is he swept to power because of his different stance on issues, so Labour voters knew what they were getting, no point now bemoaning it, as they got what they wanted

Bit Revisionist.

... Except it really isn't. The promise was for a second referendum to be allowed specifically if the UK voted to leave the EU against the will of Scotland's people. That is exactly what has happened, so there is nothing Westminster can do to prevent a second referendum.

Krejlooc

Banned

watching from America, it looks to me like all this is all a lot of politicking that has gone wrong. It appears the leave side never actually expected to win, that their loss was supposed to be strategic. And judging from reactions, it looks like everyone wants a do-over.

Uzzy

... Except it really isn't. The promise was for a second referendum to be allowed specifically if the UK voted to leave the EU against the will of Scotland's people. That is exactly what has happened, so there is nothing Westminster can do to prevent a second referendum.

The SNP made a promise they had no legal power to implement.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
But that doesn't even mean anything.

We are still going to influenced by the EU. And now there is going to be years of infighting about what that arrangement will be.

The Tory infighting has now taken over the entire country, Leavers and Remainers will be trading blows for the next 50 years.

Cheers, Dave.

The problem is he swept to power because of his different stance on issues, so Labour voters knew what they were getting, no point now bemoaning it, as they got what they wanted

Party members might have got what they wanted but their traditional voters certainly didn't. Is there any point in having a leader that the public don't listen to?

Drackhorn

Why are so emotionally triggered? It's time to take a step back and try to understand why things went the way they did, understand the issues English peeps are having. Stop thinking just because leave won, we hate everyone and everything in Europe.

Exactly. Europe is not the same as the EU. A mixup people unfortunately keep making.

I find it also highly amusing that there suddenly are developments for a 'EU of two speeds'. There will be talks about that soon with the founding countries. Apparently changes are possible after all.

Not really. Maybe some translations are approximative, but the recurrent idea is that "we must start negociations ASAP", not "we will force UK to do it". They'll put all the pressure they can on the UK government, but nobody has claimed EU can trigger it by itself.

It sounds like it's going to be 'use it or lose it' situation. Wouldn't be surprised if the government just let it quietly drop out, then turn around to the public and spin it as "due to the current economic climate, we're postponing the invocation of Article 50 until...blah blah blah...pending second referendum...blah blah blah". Cameron's resignation and refusal to invoke Article 50 is a rather smart play from him, though. He's managed to throw a spanner in the works, and as another poster said, prevented himself from being used to sweep Boris/whoever to power. In fact, the new PM's chances at the next election will be much shakier, since everything that will happen with the withdrawal is entirely on them now.

What I'm surprised at is how there weren't a 55% or more majority needed before we leave the EU. I'd call the current situation undecided and we need to take stock of what has happened. People are now more engaged than ever. I think we need to have a revote in a year or two. Europeans might not like that but you have accept half the country want to stay as well and really how many other EU countries if they had a referendum would see a similar close call, I think a few would so please stop with this holier than though attitude. This vote result shows a nation is undecided to me and more work needs to be done to find an answer.
I agree the current result equates to "no consensus", and should be put to another vote. But honestly, the EU is fed up of us at this point. They've bent over backwards for us for decades, and we continue to whinge, and moan, and complain we're hard done by at every turn. This rejection is basically spitting in their face. They're sick of our shit, and quite happy for us to stop bothering them now. They will not wait for us. They want to move on.

Pandy

Why do you care?
You got yours, let Scotland get theirs.

On a semi related side note, did you know that you can join the Conservative party for £25 (for a years membership) and after 3 months vote in their leadership elections.

I am tempted to do this solely to vote against Boris. I really don't want him as PM, but then I have to ask myself - who else from the lot would I want to pick?

Osbourne?
May?
Gove?
Crabb?

I'll have to think for a while on that one for who is the lesser evil.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I watched Sturgeon's speech live on tv and I really like her. What a difference of class between her and the future UK leaders. I really hope Scotland gets the chance to join the EU, we need countries who value humanity.

As for UK, at this point it's like the girlfriend who breaks everything in the house shouting "I hate you and your friends and I'm leaving you" while slamming the door on her way out only to realize once she is the other side of the door that she didn't think this through and has no place to go now so she comes back in and says "I still hate you but I will live in your flat a bit more and there's nothing you can do".

Own your decisions and don't fuck up also the rest of the continent.

Hasney

What do you expect them to be doing? Boris isn't prime minister, and Farage isn't even an MP. They are under no obligation to do anything under their current roles. They've campaigned for making a very serious issue someone else's problem to deal with.

I really hope that if anything good comes out of this, this kind of campaigning is illegal in the future. Too late for this one.

On a semi related side note, did you know that you can join the Conservative party for £25 (for a years membership) and after 3 months vote in their leadership elections.

I am tempted to do this solely to vote against Boris. I really don't want him as PM, but then I have to ask myself - who else from the lot would I want to pick?

Osbourne?
May?
Gove?
Crabb?

I'll have to think for a while on that one for who is the lesser evil.

Boris is almost certainly going to be leader of the Torys at some point. Him being PM now would be good because we'd have him for less of a term and due to the situation, he'll look so shit he'll be voted or forced out.

If we got him while we were recovering, we might be fucked for even longer.

Tak3n

Banned
*I have big wishes Scotland shutup and just continue to be England's BITCH in this United Kingdom, forever*

Sorry bro. Nicola's going to get that 2nd ref done, and there is a reasonable chance we vote to leave you. Especially if the EU do grant at least discussions about keeping us.

agreed, but they get the go ahead from Westminster (which she most likely wont) so it is like the annoying protester at the back of the crowd with a sign and wont shut up....

We heard you, your'e not happy....

I notice she did not say to her parliament, lets denounce the referendum and refuse to vote...

Tosyn_88

All these people saying Britain was great before the EU needs to learn history. This is the 21St century and Britain doesn't have colonial estates around the world to pillage so they best be sure what they are trying to say. Is Britain suddenly going to up manufacturing to out compete China? Or would British citizens suddenly accept penny wages to work in factories which causes pollution? Also all those workers rights that's been enjoyed is one of the first things the conservatives will get rid of, I don't think people really considered the pain of what they asked for

jelly

Because all they can do is accept EU terms that are worse than what we have now. That's what they don't want to tell the public. Idiots.

Double standards by leave voters expecting a country that 100% voted to remain in the eu to not have another indyref.

There was a vote to leave the eu. Deal with its concequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom