• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
UK EU commissioner has just resigned saying he is disappointed in the result of the referendum. So many sane people leaving.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Corbyn has just frustrated me more than anything. This would have been an excellent opportunity to promote his kinder politics given the overall tone, and he didn't.

Granted, I think most Labour people voted Remain? But he could have done more. You can tell his heart wasn't really in it.

I like him a lot, but he needs to buck up his ideas, fast.

He's finished, during the campaign I saw more of Gordon Brown than Corbyn. He's unelectable and simply doesn't have the personality to lead a party. He was born to sit on the backbenches and nothing more.

Beefy

The EU will change differently as a result of this. The UK had always been more neoliberal than the other members and would have be more likely to push for American-like legislation. Perhaps now we can get a less divided union.

I can see EU getting worse as more and more people get pissed off with their various governments. I am seriously thinking if moving to Australia

Dead Man

It's kind of insane that you guys didn't have:

1. a supermajority vote
2. a mandatory vote
3. the vote take place on a weekend

for such an important issue.
And 4. Have the question be more detailed, a vote for an alternative rather than just choosing to leave with no plan.

But yeah, baffling the way it was run.

Tak3n

Banned
No surprise there. He could potentially be the last Prime Minister of the United Kingdom. And the 2020 election that the Conservatives were shoe-ins to win is now uncertain, depending on how things go.

I love how this has blown up in the Tories' faces. Just wish it wasn't going to affect the rest of us too.

That article also exposes the risk the tories face if they try to block him becoming PM

The blunt truth is that nobody else in Conservative politics gets begged for selfies as Johnson did on every walkabout; none has his charisma or his reach. If his name is on a shortlist of two put forward to Tory members, few doubt he would be the runaway winner.

And if MPs conspire to keep him off that list during the preliminary stages of the contest? Well, imagine the consequences for those who have already outraged constituents by voting remain. Imagine the rage, the mass defections to Ukip, were Johnson to be seen to be blocked by yet another elite afraid of ordinary people getting it wrong.

kmag

Scotch? Cadbury? Rolls-Royce? BAE? Ford? BMW? MINI? NISSAN? HONDA? BAT? Harper Collins?

I mean Diageo and GSK are pretty huge.

Apart from rolls Royce, diageo and gsk and the death pedallers they're all foreign companies based here

The EU will change differently as a result of this. The UK had always been more neoliberal than the other members and would have be more likely to push for American-like legislation. Perhaps now we can get a less divided union.

You are in for a unpleasant revelation if you think it was the UK that was making the the EU neoliberal in terms of pushing for austerity and selling off government assets.

Ashes

Banned
Things are moving fast:

The UK's European commissioner - Conservative politician Jonathan Hill - has resigned, saying "what is done cannot be undone" after the UK voted to leave the EU

Expected. :/

Really hope Brexiter's pull something out of the bag. Three-quarters of Europe's securities business almost certainly gone now.

jelly

He's finished, during the campaign I saw more of Gordon Brown than Corbyn. He's unelectable and simply doesn't have the personality to lead a party. He was born to sit on the backbenches and nothing more.

Labour needs a new leader to fight in a referendum, win and promise a new EU referendum so we can get out of this mess. I think people would go for it now the truth is out. The out is in motion but the deal they come up with should be put to a public vote.

Also, watching BBC made me understand why so many English people in this thread are convinced that EU will crumble now without UK. So much unsubstantiated talk about the demise of EU and how other countries might follow UK's example and go for a referendum and how the fate of EU is unknown. So much speculative talk about EU and so less talk about the future of UK. And it's BBC ffs.

Sorry, but no major EU country has yet a PM as stupid as Cameron to trigger self harming.

Also why would the europeans want to vote now? They will want to see what happens with UK (or what remains after the Scottland Referendum)

Rolls Royce (the jet engines one) recently moved a larger part of its production to Dahlewitz in Germany.

With UK leaving the EU, it would be easier to move even more parts of the production to Germany to get the sweet Airbus deals.

Tak3n

Banned
Also, watching BBC made me understand why so many English people in this thread are convinced that EU will crumble now without UK. So much unsubstantiated talk about the demise of EU and how other countries might follow UK's example and go for a referendum and how the fate of EU is unknown. So much speculative talk about EU and so less talk about the future of UK. And it's BBC ffs.

Sorry, but no major EU country has yet a PM as stupid as Cameron to trigger self harming.

France is heading there, when I look at them, I see us 8 or 9 years ago with UKIP, the more votes France's Front National take in the next elections, the calls for a referendum will just louder and louder

if the sky does not fall in as all the experts predicted, and the UK recovers quickly that low din will become a loud shout

I think Gordon Brown is a perfect example of who can be a statesman or not, regarding JC as leader. Rubbish, in unfortunate circumstances has to be said as PM.

But i thought he was brilliant in the Scottish Ref, and again speaking on the EU debate. Give him a subject he is passionate about and he is spell binding, him on everything else? Dour, boring, uncomfortable and not very engaging.

norinrad

We currently have six countries meeting in Berlin, why are there others not invited? How does this put together a show of unity? I'm aware they were the founding members, but that was a long time ago. Things are different now and everyone should be invited.

Valkyria

Banned
Apart from rolls Royce, diageo and gsk and the death pedallers they're all foreign companies based here

And GSK is gonna be out of the EU still following the EU GMP regulations. Actually that is good for my country (Spain) and my career (engineer at pharma industry). Maybe GSK and other companies based in UK start investing into the plants they have here in Spain.

But stopping being selfish, I'm really sad that what I tough as an extension of my country is now leaving. I spend long time in my teens years in London and now it seems like is giving me the cold shoulder.

TrueBlue

Will be interesting to see how the vote of no confidence goes.

I actually predicted that Corbyn wouldn't be PM, but would help drag Labour back to the left to an extent for their next leader.

dalin80

Banned
what does the UK actually manufacture these days - anything that makes any money ?

Copied from the net so grains of salt at the standby.

Machines, engines, pumps: US$63.9 billion (13.9% of total exports)
Gems, precious metals: $53 billion (11.5%)
Vehicles: $50.7 billion (11%)
Pharmaceuticals: $36 billion (7.8%)
Oil: $33.2 billion (7.2%)
Electronic equipment: $29 billion (6.3%)
Aircraft, spacecraft: $18.9 billion (4.1%)
Medical, technical equipment: $18.4 billion (4%)
Organic chemicals: $14 billion (3%)
Plastics: $11.8 billion (2.6%)

There has been a significant decline over the past two years, mostly due to (and rather unhelpfully this past week) EU grants paying for UK companies to move factories to Eastern Europe.

kiguel182

That type of talk is also happening on Portugal's public station. It's a ridiculous way to deliver the news and it's more about making people fear for the EU than focusing on the actual issues the UK has.

The EU, right now, is way more safe than the UK is and reporters focusing on that is completely ridiculous.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
We currently have six countries meeting in Berlin, why are there others not invited? How does this put together a show of unity? I'm aware they were the founding members, but that was a long time ago. Things are different now and everyone should be invited.

My guess is that it's just a matter of convenience...easier to have preliminary meetings with the big players now and then larger meetings with everyone later. You don't really need 28 countries round the table right now.

StNd

There's a meeting on Tuesday and Wednesday with the rest of them, no worries. I'm not sure if Cameron is invited, I would think he's not.

kmag

And? Do we hate foreign businesses who build here now too? Sorry if I'm presuming.
Foreign companies who bought into the companies here during the Eu years might be more inclined to fuck off or more likely scale back now little England has tied a trade noose around its own neck
And I'm sure that gsk is going to fucking love having to certify drugs in the uk (you know once the uk rebuilds its regulatory framework and testing agency from the ground up) and then again in the eu

MrKaepora

13438817_10154358291381579_8336044400802762240_n.jpg

I always loved the British humor.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The SNP made a promise they had no legal power to implement.

They promised they'd push for one, so they can now legitimately do so. True, the UK government can deny them, but given events, I don't think that would go down well.

kiguel182

France is heading there, when I look at them, I see us 8 or 9 years ago with UKIP, the more votes France's Front National take in the next elections, the calls for a referendum will just louder and louder

if the sky does not fall in as all the experts predicted, and the UK recovers quickly that low din will become a loud shout

France's growing right-wing parties are a concern but if the UK falls flat on their face after this I doubt a referendum would pass or even be done.

If the EU plays their cards right it will make it very hard for any other country to see leaving the EU as a good choice.

Ashes

Banned
Foreign companies who bought into the companies here during the Eu years might be more inclined to fuck off or more likely scale back now little England has tied a trade noose around its own neck

Does little england include king London?

Valkyria

Banned

Don't worry the Polish, Spaniards and Italians, that leavers seems to despise so much are gonna be in the negotiations regarding the UK leave. But hey I'm sure England would have the upper hand in the negotiations.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
And? Do we hate foreign businesses who build here now too? Sorry if I'm presuming.

No, but when there's a material change in circumstances regarding our largest trading partner those companies might not be inclined to stay.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Will be interesting to see how the vote of no confidence goes.

I actually predicted that Corbyn wouldn't be PM, but would help drag Labour back to the left to an extent for their next leader.

Labour being dragged to the left is a huge problem, because outside of London those Labour heartlands are very much heading to the right. Scotland has been taken over by the SNP and even the Conservatives are making more of an impression there than Labour.

Tony Blair is a monster but he is right in that the centre-ground is the way for Labour to become relevant again. All Corbyn is doing is letting the party wither away as voters in England drift to UKIP and those in Scotland to the SNP. In the current climate, liberal ideas are not attractive to the average person outside of London.

The lack of leadership is a blessing. The Remain camp are going to grab this moment by the balls for Scotland and London and do the best they can in the shortest amount of time - because we actually know what we want, and why.

A lot of English people have an inflated view of the country's importance. This is reflected in the media, which further fuels this delusion in a nasty feedback loop

Tyaren

I don't see any scenario where Scotland becomes part of the EU. Would the EU accept them openly?

To make an example of the UK that you might break up and loose everything when leaving the EU? And they don't have to fire one shot (to quote Mr. Farage here), they just have to slightly encourage the UK on it's path to disintegrate itself.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

It's a meeting of the founders of EU. There will be a meeting of all 27 members of EU beginning of next week. Thank you for your concern, we're fine.

Real Hero

Labour being dragged to the left is a huge problem, because outside of London those Labour heartlands are very much heading to the right.

Which is why we need a convincing left wing labour. They won't win anyway but we need one of the major parties fighting against the tide

oti

Banned
The lack of leadership is a blessing. The Remain camp are going to grab this moment by the balls for Scotland and London and do the best they can in the shortest amount of time - because we actually know what we want, and why.

The discrepancy between Scotland and Westminster is staggering. The Scottish Prime Minister even called it out during her speech. Throwing down the gauntlet.

dalin80

Banned
They promised they'd push for one, so they can now legitimately do so. True, the UK government can deny them, but given events, I don't think that would go down well.

It's a bit of an awkward spot for the SNP, even when oil prices were high they had to admit that they got their sums wrong and couldn't afford true independence, now? Won't be a super fun time and I can't see the EU wanting to support another hungry mouth straight after losing one of it's largest contributes.

cabot

To make an example of the UK that you might break up and loose everything when leaving the EU? And they don't have to fire one shot (to quote Mr. Farage here), they just have to slightly encourage the UK to disintegrate itself.

Spain is still a possible issue. If they allow Scotland in then it would be giving legitimacy to Catalonia's desire for independence.

Ashes

Banned
No, but when there's a material change in circumstances regarding our largest trading partner those companies might not be inclined to stay.

I see. Plenty of British companies might move abroad too. Financial services are easier to move than whole factories.

I say that in addition rather than to negate what you say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom