• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camoxide

Unconfirmed Member
Hows the mood for everyone in real life?

For me the previously quiet remain voters are absolutely furious at the leave voters and it seems people have become more divided. We're got even more issues on our hand :(.

Kadayi

Banned
Of course survival is why they will lash out against us, as Anti-EU sentiments on the continent are running high, the EU will want to move swiftly to kick the UK out and offer severe and punitive terms.

https://www.uktradeinfo.com/Statistics/OverseasTradeStatistics/Pages/OTS.aspx

The UK imports far more from the EU than it exports back (it's a huge market for a wide range of goods for a variety of countries). This notion that the EU would impose massive price hikes and subsequently drive the UK to other markets is fanciful at best. Doing so would damage the EU far more than the UK.

The UK will be in a fine position now with lots of educated and young people leaving in addition to business leaving. I wish the old people who voted for exit good luck with their pensions and healthcare costs

You do realise we have students come here from all over the world only to be kicked out the second they graduate to go employ their studies elsewhere due to huge visa requirements right?

AFAIK, only 33m people voted. So 1.4m out of 33m is relatively significant. It wasn't a Quebec 1995 referendum (49.4-50.6) close.

And this showed the country is firmly divided on the issue. You have London-Scotland firmly in the Remain camp and pretty much everywhere else firmly in the Leave camp.

It doesn't have to be as close as another referendum to clearly be close. You say yourself 'firmly divided'. It's a tiny minority difference.

Z3K

We buy more from the EU that we sell them. They cannot possibly punish us without punishing themselves worse. Only a dictator minded outfit would consider doing so.

The stakes are too high to let the UK get away with leaving the EU without any ramifications, it would be better to lose some of the UK market than to lose control of the EU.

AFAIK, only 33m people voted. So 1.4m out of 33m is relatively significant. It wasn't a Quebec 1995 referendum (49.4-50.6) close.

And this showed the country is firmly divided on the issue. You have London-Scotland firmly in the Remain camp and pretty much everywhere else firmly in the Leave camp.

No, it's not. If less than 1% of Leave voters had voted the other way, we'd have a completely different outcome. And how many voted Leave because they wanted to see that £350 million a week fund the NHS?

My town (Canterbury in Kent) voted in favour of Leave by around 700 votes. That's even closer a percentage split than the overall result. Everywhere else was NOT firmly in the Leave camp.

IvorB

If we left the EU only to become another Norway I'd be fine. All of the same benefits as being in the EU but without having to worry about having any influence whatsoever. Can't imagine the Vote Leave lot being too happy about that.

So still having to follow all the rules of the EU and pay them a sizeable sum of money to access the single market but having zero say in how those rules are created and getting no funding back in return. Seems like a pretty sh*t deal to me, especially after the cushy position the UK was in with all is library of rebates and exceptions.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
"Another Norway" means the 4 freedoms. Does England want that?

I thought immigration was the big issue.
Given that they're already backtracking and claiming that net immigration might not fall anyway, perhaps they can sell it to their supporters? Who knows.

SuperSah

Banned

For me the previously quiet remain voters are absolutely furious at the leave voters and it seems people become more divided. We're got even more issues on our hand :(.

Noticeable divide where I am. Everyone is careful around everyone and the problems going on in Parliament right now over whether or not to actually trigger Article 50 isn't helping AT ALL.

For me the previously quiet remain voters are absolutely furious at the leave voters and it seems people become more divided. We're got even more issues on our hand :(.

I won't see my dad or my step-mother for a while because of it. And on top of that I can't look at my neighbours or anyone else in my vicinity as there is a high likelihood (I'm in the Midlands) that they're leave voters.

It is just something I can't forgive them for (well maybe my dad, but that's a special circumstance).

Bye then.

You're used to saying that aren't you? Bye EU. Bye Europe. Bye to the younger generation's entire future. You should just get a placard and wave that around to save you time.

Irminsul

We buy more from the EU that we sell them. They cannot possibly punish us without punishing themselves worse. Only a dictator minded outfit would consider doing so.
LOL. Maybe you should consider looking at relative values instead of absolute ones for this. Because the latter doesn't make any sense when you're talking about 60m people vs. 440m.

Orbis

"Another Norway" means the 4 freedoms. Does England want that?

I thought immigration was the big issue.
That's the trap many Leave voters may have fallen into. We may well see freedom of movement just as we have now, except we lose every other benefit of being in the EU. The Leave campaigns were very dishonest and went on about "taking back control of our borders" which probably won them the vote. In reality things may end up pretty much the same with regards to immigration.
So still having to follow all the rules of the EU and pay them a sizeable sum of money to access the single market but having zero say in how those rules are created and getting no funding back in return. Seems like a pretty sh*t deal to me, especially after the cushy position the UK was in with all is library of rebates and exceptions.
And let's not forget, Norway would otherwise be an EU member if they had voted so in their last referendum. That was a narrow 'No' vote. Their position should not be seen as desirable in my opinion, they are in that situation not because it's the best, but because they voted that way. They are even part of Schengen. But no say over EU matters.

Miles X

Lol. You just said that as if it's an insult. But don't you get it? I can and will "piss off to the EU", and with me comes any potential for me and any future generations to contribute to the shit hole country of my birth.

I sincerely hope people do it en masse too.

They won't. And the country isn't going to fail like you so desperately want it to.

I won't see my dad or my step-mother for a while because of it. And on top of that I can't look at my neighbours or anyone else in my vicinity as there is a high likelihood (I'm in the Midlands) that they're leave voters.

It is just something I can't forgive them for (well maybe my dad, but that's a special circumstance).

God forbid they have their own voice and opinion, oh no, they should live their lives by what you want.

Hold on, it was not a small minority? the leave vote won, where is your large majority want to remain?.....you can not expect the Government to reject the results because the young don't like it...

by that mythology the tories would be instantly out of power, as what young person voted for them in the GE... and if Cameron pulled that he would be out of power in about 30 secs

As much as 75% of young people wanted to Remain. That's why so many people in this thread are overly bitter about old people. It's not like this was a 52/48 split between the population as a whole. It was a clear split between age groups. And it's the younger age groups who wanted to remain that have to struggle through the fallout created by the older people who wanted to leave.

FunkyMonk

https://www.uktradeinfo.com/Statistics/OverseasTradeStatistics/Pages/OTS.aspx

The UK imports far more from the EU than it exports back (it's a huge market for a wide range of goods for a variety of countries). This notion that the EU would impose massive price hikes and subsequently drive the UK to other markets is fanciful at best. Doing so would damage the EU far more than the UK.

In raw terms you're quite correct. As a percentage of GDP it's a very different picture - 45% for the UK, 16% for the EU.

Edit: It's not raw GDP but foreign trade. 45% of our foreign trade goes to the EU whereas 16% of EU foreign trade comes to the UK.

Booser

1) UK chooses Brexit

2) UK regrets Brexit

3) UK asks to stay

4) other EU countries have referendum on Brexit

5) EU chooses Brexit

JP_

Banned
If that's the best deal we get, UK would just not go through with it. We're on better terms now.
...huh? Not even Leavers expected a better EU deal after leaving EU. They basically wanted to get rid of immigrants at all cost. Or they have this fantasy they'll be better off long term alone.

guit3457

If we left the EU only to become another Norway I'd be fine. All of the same benefits as being in the EU but without having to worry about having any influence whatsoever. Can't imagine the Vote Leave lot being too happy about that.

That would be so ridiculous. So you want pretty much the situation you have before Brexit but getting Schengen, no veto nor vote on key decissions?

So smart lol

Crumpo

We're avoiding my wife's parents. Someone at work had a very public falling out with their parents on FB.

Mood walking around is muted, although being in a town with an older demographic (Bournemouth) I now feel hostile seeing older people around. I feel like a stranger in my home town.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

The big picture here is what you (and a lot of your fellow leavers) ignore. The trade between UK and EU doesn't exists in isolation. But even touching that you ignore how much the said trade weights in the total trade of the involved parties.

The big picture here is that whatever is to gain from trade is so much less than what would be lost from EU losing its purpose.

But don't let me stop from dreaming.

nOoblet16

That's the trap many Leave voters may have fallen into. We may well see freedom of movement just as we have now, except we lose every other benefit of being in the EU. The Leave campaigns were very dishonest and went on about "taking back control of our borders" which probably won them the vote. In reality things may end up pretty much the same with regards to immigration.
Becoming a schengen area actually means even looser borders in theory.

Which is why it's ironical since immigration was one of the most important pointers used by Leave campaigns.

Not to mention they will still keep paying to the EU and following their regulations, except this time they actually don't get a say in it.

Everyone knows the English love irony.

It's not only immigration, it's also about contributing to the EU budget, which Norway is doing, and applying EU law. That's literally all the Leave voters voted against.
How can you possibly sell that? That'd be going back to square one, and then some.

They won't. And the country isn't going to fail like you so desperately want it to.

God forbid they have their own voice and opinion, oh no, they should live their lives by what you want.

Ignorant people who can't be bothered to educate themselves before making such a monumentally huge decision are not worthy of discourse.

Arksy

I can't see how you could hope to get better terms out of the Union than those you're having now while you're still in. That's the whole point of being in.

The whole point is that the EU is not the entirety of the world, the UK can start doing deals with other countries, you know the ones that are growing rapidly.

Precisely this. Why would a post-Brexit UK want to agree to such a deal? Seems to go against everything the Leave campaign rallied for.

That's the thing do, does the agenda of the "leave campaign" actually matter one single iota? The actual referendum isn't even legally binding, and it's not as if the country is literally split in two and every single given issue. So why would the people in government who are the ones who are actually going to have to make this agreement even take into account this anti-immigration stance of this so called "leave campaign"?

Given that they're already backtracking and claiming that net immigration might not fall anyway, perhaps they can sell it to their supporters? Who knows.

Oh, IMO there's going to be a lot of backtracking, simply because they don't have a clue how this will work out, but it just shows how misinformed everyone was.

And the legislative mess is another issue (reversing all the EU directives).

Despite what the Express' and the Andrew Neil's of the UK might tell you it's going to be a big fat mess if they go all-in or if they backtrack on some principles.

The uncertainty is going to hurt a lot of businesses in the UK (as some here have already demonstrated).

In raw terms you're quite correct. As a percentage of GDP it's a very different picture - 45% for the UK, 16% for the EU.

This. No one is seriously saying we won't have access any more. What we are saying is we're going to pay for it. We'll likely work out having similar EU laws and trade access as we did before, at a much higher cost, with none of the say for what goes on inside the EU, and much less EU funding.

The stakes are too high to let the UK get away with leaving the EU without any ramifications, it would be better to lose some of the UK market than to lose control of the EU.

Let's say they employ a 10% tariff on our goods so we reciprocate. We would be have a huge net gain to subsidise our exports many times over compared to the cost of the tariff.

Hasney

The whole point is that the EU is not the entirety of the world, the UK can start doing deals with other countries, you know the ones that are growing rapidly.

Cool. I mean, they'll want to do a deal with the EU first since there's much bigger benefits, but once they get around to us we'll be very happy.

IvorB

For me the previously quiet remain voters are absolutely furious at the leave voters and it seems people have become more divided. We're got even more issues on our hand :(.

In London here: shock and disbelief initially turning to anger it seems. The nation is going to be in a pretty awkward position as a result of this. I don't think it's something that's going to go away quietly especially with it being such a long, drawn out process.

It doesn't really matter whether it is a shitty deal or not. If the UK wants to stay in the EU now then we have to make MAJOR concessions to the EU. There is no going back to what we had before.

Kadayi

Banned

Collectively is irrelevant. There's absolutely no way punitive measures would get sanctioned because it's not in the interest of the likes of Germany or France to undermine their personal markets. And as other have said the EU isn't the only market.

Miles X

Ignorant people who can't be bothered to educate themselves before making such a monumentally huge decision are not worthy of discourse.

Perhaps they were educated?

Fact: if we stay in the EU we'll continue to have high eastern european immigration. Fact: if we leavethere is opportunity to reduce/stop that.

I'm not saying that's good, and I'm also wary of what the future holds, but lots of people knew exactly what they were getting out of voting leave, and they're happy with their vote.

I suppose a lot of people think you're uneducated and ignorant about your choice as well. At the end of the day you have to respect that everyone's vote counts and this isn't as black and white as you make it out.

Spaghetti

Giving us Norway's deal is not punishment, it's what the Leave campaign evoked and the EU are not going to give us any more than that.

That's the point, it's factually a worse deal than what we had before.

Hasney

In London here: shock and disbelief initially turning to anger it seems. The nation is going to be in a pretty awkward position as a result of this. I don't think it's something that's going to go away quietly especially with it being such a long, drawn out process.

Yeah, there's quite a large feeling here right now that by the time the GE comes around, they're pretty much single issue voters that will vote for parties that want to get closer to Europe again. Wonder if that will last though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom