• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I really wish we could all pull together now and try make this work.
This is a bit like if your housemate shit on the floor in the living room and then turned around and said 'I wish we could all pull together now and help clean this up'.

Orbis

If the petition somehow surpasses the number of Leave voters, what happens then?
Nothing. This petition is doing nothing but serve up false hope for people who can't respect the democratic process. We decided as a nation to leave the EU. It's a done deal. I didn't want to leave so I voted remain. I was outnumbered, fairly, in a high turnout vote. The terms of the referendum can be debated but I can't recall any remainers being unhappy beforehand. There is nothing wrong with being upset or angry about the result, but the result stands nonetheless.

Also regarding voting age. Would allowing 16 year olds to vote have been undemocratic? No, but the rules were set and we can blame Cameron for this. I would've liked 16-17 years olds to vote as they not only may be taxpayers, married and living independently but also will be directly affected. But the rules were set. Tories never would've allowed it because it would set a precedent for General Elections where they would lose vote %.

Would disallowing 60+ to vote be undemocratic? Yes, I believe disenfranchisement is a terrible thing and I would be dismayed as a 60+ voter to be excluded from a vote which will affect me for potentially 20+ years.

Also regarding our 'exit deal'. It will be in the EU's interests to give themselves a good deal, this will mean benefits for both sides but ultimately the UK is going to be worse off. Basically they won't be set out to 'punish' the UK but they won't be handing desirable terms on a plate either.

We have in my opinion made a very bad choice but we now have to focus on how we move on, not throwing toys out of the pram.

Alx

The EU doesn't need to and won't "punish" the UK.

The Norway model is punishment enough to those that voted Leave.

You're still seeing it with a UK-centric vision, it's not about punishing the UK, but making a point to the remaining EU members. What EU needs to show (if it doesn't want to crumble) is that its countries are better inside the union than outside.

Beefy

We don't hate bro, we just call people "wankers and cunts" to say hello. Up here we might throw a few punches, but we routinely offer the person we've just beaten up a cigarette afterwards and say "have a good night ya cunt".

My uncle is a cop around the Glasgow estates, he has actually told me that happens.

Audioboxer

This is a bit like if your housemate shit on the floor in the living room and then turned around and said 'I wish we could all pull together now and help clean this up'.

wcKAZcH.gif

My uncle is a cop around the Glasgow estates, he has actually told me that happens.

It probably does lol. Jokes aside there are some dodgy characters up here... but alas, they are everywhere. Speaking broadly though we're usually a friendly enough bunch.

Kadayi

Banned

My friend, I don't claim to know what's going to happen. Nobody does. But as a Greek who's grown up in Germany and has studied Economics I am very anxious right now.

Why get anxious about something that you've zero control over? The votes are in and despite all the hysterical protestations and finger pointing going on around the web, it's going to happen.

I voted remain, but I must admit I'm not surprised by the result given the collective failure by the likes of Cameron etc to actually sell EU membership as a tangible positive to the general public, versus a relentless tirade of fearmongering about the potential fallout. That's not how you galvanise people. You have to sell a people a constructive vision they can comprehend and get behind, and that simply didn't happen.

If anything there's a lesson there for other countries that might face the same situation.

I love ye Miles but that is a bit harsh.

The bigger issue is we continue to routinely fail to get through to our older generations. It's one of the toughest things to do, but we need to keep trying.

Spoken from a psychologist in training, changing the mind once it's been wired the way it has for soo long in older folk is damn hard. You could say impossible for many. For those that are lost causes though that is where we need to stimulate and educate our younger generations not to "lulz vote" or not vote, and take it seriously.

I know it's not a popular opinion and I accept that, but I'm a firm believer in facing the consequences of ones actions and when you have people who are voting for something they won't have to deal with, it pisses me off to no end.

Joni

This is not just about a better deal, it'ss about eu reforming into something better, as of right now UK is still part of the EU, only a non binding referendum has been made so far.

Yes, but with that referendum existing, they won't invite the British to the table to actually negotiate what a closer union means. They can try showing up, but nobody will want their views on it.

kharma45

Why are you resorting to ridiculous emotionally charged language? Why does not allowing people over a certain age to vote in any way mean euthanasia is on the cards?

And I'm paying for their pension, so they should respect that fact and accept their time has passed in influencing the future of the country.

If I die tomorrow, it will be from an accident so that doesn't impact a right to vote. Dying from cancer or another terminal illness is an entirely different story. You know you're dying, why should be allowed to you vote for something you won't be alive to live through?

Fuck me at both of these posts. And people call the Tories heartless.

Nothing. This petition is doing nothing but serve up false hope for people who can't respect the democratic process. We decided as a nation to leave the EU.
In my opinion the difference between the two sides was too small for something of this magnitude.

But hey, at least now I can understand how civil wars start.

DjRalford

Why are you resorting to ridiculous emotionally charged language? Why does not allowing people over a certain age to vote in any way mean euthanasia is on the cards?

And I'm paying for their pension, so they should respect that fact and accept their time has passed in influencing the future of the country.

If I die tomorrow, it will be from an accident so that doesn't impact a right to vote. Dying from cancer or another terminal illness is an entirely different story. You know you're dying, why should be allowed to you vote for something you won't be alive to live through?

I think you'll find they paid for their pensions given its based on NI contributions over their lifetime.

One thing this referendum has shown is that on both sides of the argument and in the EU itself there are a lot of cunts.

Z3K

It amazes me to see that there are still a lot of Britons who don't understand what EU is. EU's purpose is the well being of its members. UK is (soon to be) no longer a member. UK's well being is no longer our concern. We have some common trade and strategic interests, but those won't be put above the existence of EU.

It's not about punishment, it's about survival.

Of course survival is why they will lash out against us, as Anti-EU sentiments on the continent are running high, the EU will want to move swiftly to kick the UK out and offer severe and punitive terms.

Pandy

I particularly liked, "It was written by a French!"

In all seriousness, that guy on the pavement with the 'I'm not leaving' sign needs to get his arse off the ground and look into his options. One of the best ways to show the folly of this referendum is by demonstrating en masse that the migration door swings both ways.

No, not at all. Do you also think that it's ok to strip terminally ill people of the vote as well?

I think it's only an issue with this vote because the divide in opinion by age group is so insanely high, and the margin for victory was so incredibly small.

Ultimately I think that's good enough grounds for the government to reject overall public opinion here and state that Britain's future clearly wants to remain in the EU by a large margin, so that's what we'll be doing. Sadly, that's not an option now that Cameron has stood down and will (presumably) leave Boris in charge. He can't go back on everything he just campaigned for, even if he is vaguely doing exactly that right now. And the EU looks hell-bent on making an example of Britain and punishing us as much as possible to prevent more secessions, which I don't blame them for, so I don't know if they'd even allow us to remain. It just sucks that so many of us have got to endure the punishment that a small minority of idiots who didn't even fully realize what they were voting for are responsible for.

Alx

If that's the best deal we get, UK would just not go through with it. We're on better terms now.

I can't see how you could hope to get better terms out of the Union than those you're having now while you're still in. That's the whole point of being in.

chadskin

You're still seeing it with a UK-centric vision, it's not about punishing the UK, but making a point to the remaining EU members. What EU needs to show (if it doesn't want to crumble) is that its countries are better inside the union than outside.

That's what I implied. The UK's conditions inside the EU are/were miles better than the conditions of the Norway model outside the EU.

Crumpo

I think you'll find they paid for their pensions given its based on NI contributions over their lifetime.

Not quite. State pension contributions were made upon modelling that is now out-of-date and only just being adjusted (see extension of retirement age). You do not pay for your entire pension via your own contributions. Same for final salary company pensions.

As a younger person I will have neither when I retire. I'm not salty but the idea that baby boomers are not getting anything from my financial contributions is bollocks.

Why get anxious about something that you've zero control over? The votes are in and despite all the hysterical protestations and finger pointing going on around the web, it's going to happen.

I voted remain, but I must admit I'm not surprised by the result given the collective failure by the likes of Cameron etc to actually sell EU membership as a tangible positive to the general public, versus a relentless tirade of fearmongering about the potential fallout. That's not how you galvanise people. You have to sell a people a constructive vision they can comprehend and get behind, and that simply didn't happen.

If anything there's a lesson there for other countries that might face the same situation.

You have met people, right?

I know it's not a popular opinion and I accept that, but I'm a firm believer in facing the consequences of ones actions and when you have people who are voting for something they won't have to deal with, it pisses me off to no end.

It's a stupid opinion. You might get hit by a truck later. Does that mean your vote shouldn't count. Fuck me, some people...

Tak3n

Banned
I see the second referendum is now making the main news, I just think this will cause such irreparable damage to both camps...

we was always going to have one side not happy, just keeping doing a do over until the remain side win will say what? I think it will say democracy only works as long as it fits in with big business and Governments agenda

"EU being mean to us makes them a dictatorship"

Holy shit have I seen this too many times today. The EU aren't going to give us a sweet deal, we HAD a sweet deal already given our general special treatment in the Union. We get the Norway deal or nothing, and considering the Leave campaign evoked Norway in their campaigning ("We can have the same deal as Norway who are successful outside the EU!"), I sincerely hope they don't piss and moan when they get exactly what they want.

We buy more from the EU that we sell them. They cannot possibly punish us without punishing themselves worse. Only a dictator minded outfit would consider doing so.

I think it's only an issue with this vote because the divide in opinion by age group is so insanely high, and the margin for victory was so incredibly small.

Ultimately I think that's good enough grounds for the government to reject overall public opinion here and state that Britain's future clearly wants to remain in the EU by a large margin, so that's what we'll be doing. Sadly, that's not an option now that Cameron has stood down and will (presumably) leave Boris in charge. He can't go back on everything he just campaigned for, even if he is vaguely doing exactly that right now. And the EU looks hell-bent on making an example of Britain and punishing us as much as possible to prevent more secessions, which I don't blame them for. It just sucks that so many of us have got to endure the punishment that a small minority of idiots who didn't even fully realize what they were voting for are responsible for.

I don't call 1.4 million votes a "small margin" at all.

And those posters saying people older than X should be stripped of their right to vote is simply disgusting.

Orbis

In my opinion the difference between the two sides was too small for something of this magnitude.

But hey, at least now I can understand how civil wars start.
It was close, but where were the protests and boycotts beforehand? I am frustrated and angry that we are leaving, especially as it was close. We knew there was no win threshold and we went out and voted anyway rather than boycotting it.

I never wanted a referendum for this very reason, the general public shouldn't be left to make these decisions. We elect a Parliament for that. But it happened, and we have to learn from that.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
If we left the EU only to become another Norway I'd be fine. All of the same benefits as being in the EU but without having to worry about having any influence whatsoever. Can't imagine the Vote Leave lot being too happy about that.

DrFurbs

God the saltiness in this thread. Even down to striping older people of their votes. Honestly, it's a done deal, accept it and move on.

Crumpo

I see the second referendum is now making the main news, I just think this will cause such irreparable damage to both camps...

we was always going to have one side not happy, just keeping doing a do over until the remain side win will say what? I think it will say democracy only works as long as it fits in with big business and Governments agenda

Am I big business?

Also, if you are telling us that the leave camp wouldnt hound the future PM for another referendum in the future you are deluded.

It was close, but where were the protests and boycotts beforehand? I am frustrated and angry that we are leaving, especially as it was close. We knew there was no win threshold and we went out and voted anyway rather than boycotting it.

I never wanted a referendum for this very reason, the general public shouldn't be left to make these decisions. But it happened, and we have to learn from that.

Yeah, and I've learnt what England really is. Lesson learned. There is nothing redeeming about the place other than 48% of the population. And those people should leave ASAP.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
What do you think of the EU's treatment of Greece? Pumping them full of dept and pretty much using the country as a refugee camp.

I think Greece would have been better off with a honest bankruptcy.

It was the Greek leader who chose to not honour what he started (pretty much what UK is trying to do now) and in the end the follow up elections validated his decision.

Yes, the decision of EU was ruthless, but it's not like UK had a different position on this topic so I find no relevance of that in current topic if not a bit hypocritic to try to draw a parallel.

I don't call 1.4 million votes a "small margin" at all.

And those posters saying people older than X should be stripped of their right to vote is simply disgusting.

1.4 million in an electorate of 44.7 million (2015) is, I'd say, a 'small margin'.

Miles, stop posting repressive nonsense about old people. All you do is give your opponents easy shots. Opponents, stop pretending every Remainer angry today is saying the same thing. Fucking cowardly 'suck it up move on' nonsense.

I think Greece would have been better off with a honest bankruptcy.

It was the Greek leader who chose to not honour what he started (pretty much what UK is trying to do now) and in the end the follow up elections validated his decision.

Yes, the decision of EU was ruthless, but it's not like UK had a different position on this topic so I find no relevance of that in current topic if not a bit hypocritic to try to draw a parallel.

They were never financially fit to be let in, in the first place.

It was a democratic vote. Piss off to the EU if you don't like it. There's nothing you can do any ways bar whine on a forum lol.

Lol. You just said that as if it's an insult. But don't you get it? I can and will "piss off to the EU", and with me comes any potential for me and any future generations to contribute to the shit hole country of my birth.

I sincerely hope people do it en masse too.

1.4 million in an electorate of 44.7 million (2015) is, I'd say, a 'small margin'.

Miles, stop posting repressive nonsense about old people. All you do is give your opponents easy shots.

AFAIK, only 33m people voted. So 1.4m out of 33m is relatively significant. It wasn't a Quebec 1995 referendum (49.4-50.6) close.

And this showed the country is firmly divided on the issue. You have London-Scotland firmly in the Remain camp and pretty much everywhere else firmly in the Leave camp.

If we left the EU only to become another Norway I'd be fine. All of the same benefits as being in the EU but without having to worry about having any influence whatsoever. Can't imagine the Vote Leave lot being too happy about that.

"Another Norway" means the 4 freedoms. Does England want that?

I thought immigration was the big issue.

The UK will be in a fine position now with lots of educated and young people leaving in addition to business leaving. I wish the old people who voted for exit good luck with their pensions and healthcare costs

Tak3n

Banned

Ultimately I think that's good enough grounds for the government to reject overall public opinion here and state that Britain's future clearly wants to remain in the EU by a large margin, so that's what we'll be doing. Sadly, that's not an option now that Cameron has stood down and will (presumably) leave Boris in charge. He can't go back on everything he just campaigned for, even if he is vaguely doing exactly that right now. And the EU looks hell-bent on making an example of Britain and punishing us as much as possible to prevent more secessions, which I don't blame them for, so I don't know if they'd even allow us to remain. It just sucks that so many of us have got to endure the punishment that a small minority of idiots who didn't even fully realize what they were voting for are responsible for.

Hold on, it was not a small minority? the leave vote won, where is your large majority want to remain?.....you can not expect the Government to reject the results because the young don't like it...

by that mythology the tories would be instantly out of power, as what young person voted for them in the GE... and if Cameron pulled that he would be out of power in about 30 secs

Crumpo

It was a democratic vote. Piss off to the EU if you don't like it. There's nothing you can do any ways bar whine on a forum lol.

Did you see the demographic split for voting?

If we all fucked off you would have zero fucking economic contribution.

Bedlam

If that's the best deal we get, UK would just not go through with it. We're on better terms now.

I can't see how you could hope to get better terms out of the Union than those you're having now while you're still in. That's the whole point of being in.

Yup. I don't get these uninformed people. All of this was told to them weeks in advance, but they chose to believe the fantasy bs that some populist politicians spouted and based their vote on that.

Jesus Christ.

Too late now. No second chances. This will go through, the only question is when. And regarding this, the EU will surely not want to appear as if it can be bullied around and toyed with by one country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom