• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thespian God Jared Leto Met with Psychopaths/Murderers for Joker;Stopped Source Mat.s

Status
Not open for further replies.

213372bu

Banned
siren.gif
If you are squeamish to acting that is just too good and original, please be advised to leave this thread. This is NOT your dad's Joker.
siren.gif

Choice Quotes:
I first started at the beginning, educating myself, researching, reading as much as I could, going back to the source material. And then at a certain point, I knew I had to stop doing that. Because the Joker has been redefined, reinvented many times before. I think the fun thing about it is when people have done it in the past, there is some spirit of the Joker essence that they keep, but they either build upon something or tear something down and start again at the beginning. For me, I knew once I had gone through the process of educating myself, I had to throw everything away and start from the beginning and really build this from the ground up. It was a transformative process. There was a physical transformation. There was a physical conditioning.

There are a lot of things. It's probably better to not get into it but to the Joker, violence is a symphony. This is someone who gets an extreme reward from the act of violence and manipulation. Those are the songs he sings and he is very in tune with what makes people tick. I did meet with people that were experts, doctors, psychiatrists that dealt with psychopaths and people who had committed horrendous crimes, and then I spent some time with those people themselves, people who have been institutionalized for great periods of time. I guess when you take on a role, any role, you become part detective, part writer, and for me that's my favorite time of the entire process, the discovering, the uncovering, and the building of a character. Yeah, it's really fun.

Sauce 1
Sauce 2

Send me used condoms and anal beads months after this thread is over if old.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Whatever anyone can say, his dedication is pretty great.

Fj0823

Trying way too hard to Ledger huh?

How about focusing on reading the damn comics?

He's supposed to be the fucking Joker, not your average psycho, Joker would consider their work to be beneath him.

People give him shit about it now, but this is kind of what he does. Motherfucker gained like 70 pounds using melted ice cream just to fatten up, and that was for a TERRIBLE movie. He won Best Supporting doing the same thing for Dallas Buyers' Club

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Yep, actor doin his job. There is nothing wrong with any of this. People just love to tell celebrities to "shut up already" as if they're saying these things unprompted into the ether. It's an interview, he's answering a question.

Mimosa97

Y'all keep hating on my boy Jared but method acting has been proven to work really well. Look at DDL and his 3 oscars !

Unless you're an edgy wannabe on the brink of insanity. Not everyone can be Heath Ledger Jared.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting that the PR for the new joker is this going this route. I have been curious about the movie.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
actor who leaves his coworkers used condoms and anal beads "just doin' his job," says internet person

I am commenting on this thread not random stories from the past!

Also: yes all actors should be doing that it is mandated by the screen actors guild.

To find the essence of the character he had to go all the way back... to 2008 and use Heath Ledger's version

In this instance, I don't agree. Leto is right. The joker has been constantly reinvented, so to say there is a divinitive depiction of the character is almost impossible. Counting tv and films, we have seen roles as varied as batman tas, the dark knight and burton's creation - all the same and yet entirely different.

I'm open to the idea of Jared Leto as the Joker, but the amount of people who're blowing smoke up his arse just because he decided to stay in character on set is starting to get annoying.

He's just doing some method acting shit, that's all.

actor who leaves his coworkers used condoms and anal beads "just doin' his job," says internet person

Actor playing weirdo does weird shit on set. Not that surprising.

On the one hand it's kind of logical; kind of. On the other it's trying too hard. But I like Jared Leto so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt:

Maybe he got the used condoms and anal beads from them?

But yeah, if you're getting paid millions, might as well go full on with the character building and research part.

In this instance, I don't agree. Leto is right. The joker has been constantly reinvented, so to say there is a divinitive depiction of the character is almost impossible. Counting tv and films, we have seen roles as varied as batman tas, the dark knight and burton's creation - all the same and yet entirely different.

Based on what they've released so far (which isn't much granted) his voice and cadence are way closer to the Heath Ledger side than the classic comic book Joker side.

I'm open to the idea of Jared Leto as the Joker, but the amount of people who're blowing smoke up his arse just because he decided to stay in character on set is starting to get annoying.

He's just doing some method acting shit, that's all.

It's being used to build a connection to Ledger's Joker. People hear how committed Leto is to the role like Ledger was people get excited.

On the one hand it's kind of logical; kind of. On the other it's trying too hard. But I like Jared Leto so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt:

I mean, people that go full method have gone a hell of a lot further then this, and for some, it definitely paid off.

This right here, this is nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom