• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This generaton has been a let down so far..

Shrap

I struggle to play through much these days so there is always plenty of good stuff to play. One thing I do like with this gen is the focus on higher framerates, solid performance and fast loading. It makes the general experience a lot more enjoyable.

I can see how it would be disappointing for those who play a lot though - there hasn't been much in the way of big next (now current) gen only experiences, the visual leap isn't huge (especially falling flat in ray tracing and native 4k) and GAAS is becoming more pervasive with shallow crap experiences on day 1. Not to mention Sony raising prices on PS+ which is a scumbag move.

DragonNCM

It's hard not to agree so far. The Series X has been a paperweight for me, PS5 for me is a glorified PS4. The last time I felt like the magic was still entirely there was the Wii U, both with the hardware and software.
When I think of this generation, it is in favor of Nintendo Switch because exclusive games, good ports from last generation games & portability diversity.
And second winner (for me at least) is Xbox series S because at cheep price plays all cross generation, new generation games & game pass cheep fun, perfect console for perfect time at right price.
PS5 & Xbox series X just don't have that large impact for me this generation.
My PS5 is dust collector at this time....I wish it had more exclusives to impact my gaming habits like PS4 era. PS4 was damn good generation for Sony with games & new IP's like Horizon, Days gone, GoW, The last of us part II, Bloodborn(I regret I didn't played this before Elden ring) Marvel: Spider-man, two Uncharted games, The order 1886, Ghost of Tsushima & many more.
I'm waiting for 2024, 2025 & beyond & have faith in Sony because as always they provide grate games from mid to the end of every PS generation.

iQuasarLV

We almost get these type of threads almost daily, its alway, ALWAYS about graphics. Ignore the good all games that came out just because it didn't have "next gen graphics."
Then why buy a console if not for the technical upgrades?

All other good that games can do would be viable on previous generation consoles.

I haven't bought a new gen console or video card since 2020. Everything has stagnated become not worth the investment into the eco systems. Best decision I made was to go pure PC gamer this gen. Guess what I have missed out on very very few games because of it and saved absolute but loads of money as a result.

StueyDuck

I'd say less that the generation is a let down and more that the games themselves and development have been a let down.

We have had more iterative games alone than anything else, nothing has tried anything relatively new or ambitious. The craziest thing is that call of duty is really the only one trying new things with warzone and DMZ and now with their open world zombies and new "create your own mission" style campaign levels.

But I will say we have also yet to see the major hitters release anything yet.

What Rockstar or Naughty dog or even bungie with marathon eventually show will be interesting.

If ubisoft can deliver what they tease with star wars and playground come close to their "cg" trailer for fable then we might be getting some examples sooner than later

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Then why buy a console if not for the technical upgrades?
GAMES. GAMES, FUCKING GAMES. PS5 gives me me faster load time so I can get in to the GAME faster, thats more than enough upgrades for me,

In fact most game that had "high tech graphics" I didn't enjoyed AT ALL while games like Elden Ring and Armored Core VI that didn't have high tech graphics where crazy fun to play.

Also what exactly should I be excited for next graphics? because it currently going one direction, boring realism....I personally dont find that at all exciting.

It’s been a mixed bag for me, I feel they should of held off till the pandemic eased to release these systems.

Out of the two , PS5 and Xbox and on a technical level , it’s PlayStation that’s impressed me more with Ratchet, Demon Souls and Horizon Forbidden West. Xbox has been a bit of a disappointment in that regard and they can F off if they go that most powerful again route in the future, prove it with software ffs.

Both have been disappointing in terms of UI, no themes on PS5 and the themes on Xbox are half hearted efforts.

Controllers, DualSense is good, Series X feels ok apart from the d pad and the pad itself is far too noisy , ridiculous they never considered the noise level might be an irritant for some of us, even with headphones on I can still hear it.

There have been some good games so far but I’m yet to play a game that has truly blown me away, a game I can’t wait to finish work or the exercise routine to come home and play again. It’s really lacking that for me.

The biggest disappointment is Microsoft, after Xbox One I thought they would of come out far impressively than what they have done, in terms of games and the console itself. At times it feels like I’m playing a Xbox One X 1.5. Nearly thirty years in gaming I don’t get why Phil Spencer is revered by some and the shills/influencers have fucking ruined that community .

As others have said some of the heavy hitters haven’t released anything yet, I hope they can change my feelings on it all so far.

Last edited:

iQuasarLV

GAMES. GAMES, FUCKING GAMES. PS5 gives me me faster load time so I can get in to the GAME faster, thats more than enough upgrades for me,

In fact most game that had "high tech graphics" I didn't enjoyed AT ALL while games like Elden Ring and Armored Core VI that didn't have high tech graphics where crazy fun to play.

Also what exactly should I be excited for next graphics? because it currently going one direction, boring realism....I personally dont find that at all exciting.
Dude you confirmed my whole point. Also HDD speeds ARE technical upgrades. If it is beyond the software then its a technical upgrade whether that be cartridge to disc, password keys to HDD, HDD to SSD, DX9 to DX11 graphics, etc.

And, how many games, since launch, are on PS5 as a platform mover and that are not also on PC, less than 5?
How many PS5 exclusive games have sold more than 1 million copies? 2-3?

PS5 and even worse, Xbox, are not the mega game exclusive platforms they once were.

Last edited:
I think that this generation has had unprecedented hurdles that people largely ignore.

- Covid pushed back games significantly and has also resulted in some "rushed" games
- The push to satisfy 60 fps has resulted in diminished fidelity
- XSS is holding back the generation as many predicted
- Legal battles have adjusted marketing and release schedules as well as budgets
- Games require more people to create and as a result cost more to produce and thus cost more for consumers
- We're still kind of on the precipice of HDMI 2.1 being prevalent, so it's difficult to build games around features people might not have like VRR

Many people have argued that we don't need Pro consoles when it is obvious that we desperately need them to stay in line with our expectations for graphical fidelity and performance.

That being said, some people have argued that 2023 is the greatest year in gaming... We've absolutely gotten bangers, but I think the lack of Pro consoles has left a lot to be desired even with these games.

PeteBull

TLOU 2 was done on 1.8 TFLOPS...
It was and still is amazing looking game, but it runs 1080p 30 on ps4(pretty sure it dips a bit too sometimes), and it isnt open world, now just for same TLOU2 but in 4k60fps u need 2x stronger cpu(ps5 got 3x stronger one) and 8x stronger gpu(here ps5 doesnt have enough oomph already), thats the reason if we expect 4k60 or even 1440p60 games difference in graphical fidelty wont be by any means big, hell for it to be somewhat decent TLOU3 would have to run in 1080p30 (or similar burden on gpu using all kinds of upscalers, like dinamic 720-900p res then upscaled to 1440p by fsr2).

U even got proof in TLOU part1, top quality dev, from the ground up made for ps5

And its perf/resolution, again from DF

The 1440p60fps(some dips into 50s too)mode on ps5 is about as good looking graphics fidelity wise as ps4's last of us in 1080p30(with dips).
If ps5 would be really that much stronger, we would get 4k60fps mode with visibly better graphical fidelity from ps4(at least as good as in 4k30 mode of part1) and in mode with same graphical fidelity it would be 4k120fps w/o any dips at all.

All in all once again we got proof ps5 isnt crazy huge jump vs base ps4, and 1080p30 to 4k60 or even 1440p60 requires so much oomph there is barely nothing or nothing at all left for improving bells and whistles.

No offense to you, but this is the kind of saying that is annoyingly repeated constantly by PC gamers and it is wholely inaccurate. The PC is NOT a singular platform so you simply can't make a statement like that and compare any 1 platform to "a PC". The fact of the matter is that at launch in Nov 2020, the PS5/Series X spec would have exceeded the capabilities of roughly 97% of all the PCs on the market at the time. No, not everyone with a PC had an Ampere RTX 3080/3090 at the time or a Zen 3 CPU or an NVME SSD. And even if you did, due to the fixed hardware and optimizations in a console, you still wouldn't get the same overall speed and consistency in performance as "superior" PCs on paper. So, first when you say "ever going to match"...you have to define what you mean by "match". Match how or based on what criteria? If it's just pixel counts and frame rates for the top spec PCs of the day then Ok that may be true. But one can argue there are many aspects in which a console could "match" orexceed even a top spec PC of the day.

Of course over time, a wider range of PCs will be able to match and exceed the consoles but I can confidently say that not one of my 3 PCs/laptops I had in Nov 2020 could hold a candle to the PS5/Series X for gaming....which fundamentally makes that statement false.
I'm not a "pc gamer", I'm just a gamer.

I own a ps5, and have owned virtually every console ever made and only got my first gaming pc a couple of years ago.

You are arguing with me but then change one word in my first sentence and then contradict your own argument.

Yes, most pc owners don't have top tier hardware, we know that.

The point is a console can never keep pace with pc - this is obvious and was what I was saying...which, of course, you knew.

It was and still is amazing looking game, but it runs 1080p 30 on ps4(pretty sure it dips a bit too sometimes), and it isnt open world, now just for same TLOU2 but in 4k60fps u need 2x stronger cpu(ps5 got 3x stronger one) and 8x stronger gpu(here ps5 doesnt have enough oomph already), thats the reason if we expect 4k60 or even 1440p60 games difference in graphical fidelty wont be by any means big, hell for it to be somewhat decent TLOU3 would have to run in 1080p30 (or similar burden on gpu using all kinds of upscalers, like dinamic 720-900p res then upscaled to 1440p by fsr2).

U even got proof in TLOU part1, top quality dev, from the ground up made for ps5

And its perf/resolution, again from DF

The 1440p60fps(some dips into 50s too)mode on ps5 is about as good looking graphics fidelity wise as ps4's last of us in 1080p30(with dips).
If ps5 would be really that much stronger, we would get 4k60fps mode with visibly better graphical fidelity from ps4(at least as good as in 4k30 mode of part1) and in mode with same graphical fidelity it would be 4k120fps w/o any dips at all.

All in all once again we got proof ps5 isnt crazy huge jump vs base ps4, and 1080p30 to 4k60 or even 1440p60 requires so much oomph there is barely nothing or nothing at all left for improving bells and whistles.

You aren’t considering upscaling and a new engine. Imagine TLOU 3 at 1440p 60fps or 30 fps… we don’t need native 4K. Look a the matrix awakens and imagine it optimized.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I give new generations time first of all, and I never heard of a console generation struggling, for Sony it’s well documented that they’re selling PS5s. If they made the online free it would seriously outsell the ps3 and the wii and ps2 combined.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I give new generations time first of all, and I never heard of a console generation struggling, for Sony it’s well documented that they’re selling PS5s. If they made the online free it would seriously outsell the ps3 and the wii and ps2 combined.
press-x-to-doubt-la-noire.jpg

Killjoy-NL

I think that people just become more jaded the older they get, longing for times that have come to pass.

All I need is things to be better than the gen before, like a bigger scope, more interactivity or better performance.

I don't mind the DLC, season passes and anything more than base versions of a game as they are all optional, so kind of a moot point, imo.

Times change and we all need to adapt. If it isn't to your liking, then maybe it's best to just play all the old games on older systems or get with the times and see what suits you best in this gaming landscape.

Last edited:

twilo99

Let down? You got BG3 and Starfield running on these machines, sure, barely running but still playable so I think that’s more than enough..

PeteBull

You aren’t considering upscaling and a new engine. Imagine TLOU 3 at 1440p 60fps or 30 fps… we don’t need native 4K. Look a the matrix awakens and imagine it optimized.
It already was optimised, it didnt have some deadline, so if devs saw any opportunity to up framerate, that dipped below 20fps w/o nasty downgrade, they would do it.

devilNprada

At the end of the day we got a D&D game like BG3 on the consoles (and Gloomhaven coming Sept 14).....
I can truly say FINALLY!

I have been waiting for this since Bill Gates announced the XBOX at CES....
(LOL I really thought I would be able to play Age of Empires on it)

As a lazy bastard that loves board games, and loves PC games, but also loves the convenience of a console I can say this is shaping up to be the best console generation in History.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
We almost get these type of threads almost daily, its alway, ALWAYS about graphics. Ignore the good all games that came out just because it didn't have "next gen graphics."
It’s not ust the graphics. This gen has arguably not brought us anything new.
Granted, the last one didn’t either but at least the jump in graphics was impressive.

Now we got new consoles that don’t impress us with shiny graphics and don’t give us anything that the old generations couldn’t have done already. We finally reached iPhone levels of upgrade - only we have to wait to 5-6 years for it.

Last edited:
Granted, the last one didn’t either but at least the jump in graphics was impressive.

Now we got new consoles that don’t impress us with shiny graphics and don’t give us anything that the old generations couldn’t have done already. We finally reached iPhone levels of upgrade - only we have to wait to 5-6 years for it.

Danjin complains about this all the time. He needs to realize its almost as if graphics are important to gamers.

At least the previous gen didn’t have games with screen tearing all over the place and sub-30fps

Try to find a game on PS4/XB1 with screen tearing at 20fps

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
At least the previous gen didn’t have games with screen tearing all over the place and sub-30fps

Try to find a game on PS4/XB1 with screen tearing at 20fps
You refering to Starfield?

I personally blame resolution for all this. The jump to 4k simply eats too much hardware power but has next to no real benefit if you haven’t got a huge TV. Hope 8k never becomes a thing.

You refering to Starfield?

I personally blame resolution for all this. The jump to 4k simply eats too much hardware power but has next to no real benefit if you haven’t got a huge TV. Hope 8k never becomes a thing.
I'm refering to 7th gen perfomance

On PS3/X360, games ran at sub 30fps with screen tearing
In PS4/XB1, games ran at 30fps without screen tearing

Kerotan

Fear not.

Nintendo will save this gen as well. Brace for next week.

Super Mario Dancing GIF
Yes Nintendo are really going to freshen things up next gen with another mario, Zelda and Pokémon 😂

Anyway OP every generation people get to this point you're at. Maybe you're just getting tired of gaming?

Graphics look good on every system and game now, so we should stop harping on stupid details in games about grass clippings and shit already. Time to hold the devs to higher standards like better game play, better matchmaking, better game design etc.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Yes Nintendo are really going to freshen things up next gen with another mario, Zelda and Pokémon 😂
Surprisingly, they have!

It's not everyone that can reuse characters and still make an original and fun game.
How many franchises have survived 30+ years of existence while mantaining quality at a consistent level?

People take Nintendo's efforts for granted, but they don't realize how difficult such task is.

Kerotan

Surprisingly, they have!

It's not everyone that can reuse characters and still make an original and fun game.
How many franchises have survived 30+ years of existence while mantaining quality at a consistent level?

People take Nintendo's efforts for granted, but they don't realize how difficult such task is.
I mean call of duty, gran turismo, GTA, FIFA etc. There's certain types of people who'll play the same shit over and over and I'm one of them. I like a mixture of new and the same old every generation.

There are current IP's such as rainbow Six, fortnite, Destiny and rocket league that are more like 10 years old but they could easily last 10 or 20 years more with success.

Hayabusa83

Banned
If I could go back in time I'd tell myself to stop buying consoles after those two

its not even worth it anymore

Yep, haven't found an action game as good as Ninja Gaiden 2 nor a first person shooter as complete as the original MW trilogy.

I miss the days when you got a single player campaign, horde mode, and competitive multiplayer in one solid package from day one.

Anyways, its is 2023 and I am still addicted to Modern Warfare 3's Survival Mode. As far as I am concerned saving New York from the Russians was the pinnacle of first person shooters.

Phase

You know, overall I agree with you but I have started trying to see things slightly differently. I also do this with other things (e.g. music, since it's my other fav hobby). Most popular things today are of the manufactured bland variety for easy mass consumption, so you have to do more work to enjoy the medium if you're more picky.

Great products are made so often now, but you need to curate and sift to find the gems. For example, in music many things have diverged into amazing and overlapping sub-genres just like in video games. You just have to pursue and find the greatness rather than it being handed to you like the old days. It may be more work, but it's so rewarding to find that great new band, game, or game studio. I think many of us that have been gaming a long time do this already, and man is it worth it.

Last edited:
The right plan for this nonsense,
-Buy a ryzen 7950 rig with a mid range gpu, and a switch 2
-Buy the base version of all your games and then consider the season pass "Don't lie to yourself, you won't need it eventually".
Actually, it's better to wait for the full whatever edition with all the patches and content and price drops than to buy day 1 betas.

Folks in 2013, said that PS3 to PS4 was small
Even thought PS4 got Killzone Shadow Fall, Infamous Second Son which looked better than their predecessors
Did they look better though? Graphical fidelity does not make up for the lack of artistic/visual/cinematic direction, atmosphere, attention to detail (fine details like animation, color and lighting, not just xK textures), and world building. What a lot of devs and gamers alike forget and may not even know about, but will affect your general perception of the game, specially in-game compared to screenshots.
This is why games from BGS or Valve, among others, despite all they may lack, look better than many graphical showpieces, why the later Crysis games have yet to dethrone the first (not gameplay wise though), why Arkham Knight was the worst game in the series (and not just graphically), why the new Zelda wowed more people than most other titles on absolutely more powerful devices, why sometimes a tiny pixel-art game may scare you more than the latest AAA Outlast clone, and why after so many years, the original Mafia looks more realistic than the majority of the games since.

Reasons I don't care about 9th gen going forward:
1. I already own more video games than I can reasonably expect to finish.
2. I don't want to spend loads more money on more video games.

3. I'm not a fan of all-digital and that's where we are headed, period.
4. Western designed games have become too political.
5. Sexy females are going extinct in western games. <-
leave porn to porn
6. The monetization is out of control.
7. The homogenization is lazy and real.
8. Diminishing graphical returns.
9. Innovation is at an all time low.
10. The amount of sequels and remakes is too damn high!

And a bonus reason is what OP mentioned; The releasing of unfinished/broken games is really out of control.
Ergo I'm tapping out after I'm done collecting for my Switch and PS4 libraries. Ya'll can have the digital dystopia future.
Besides your 5th point (at least it's not your 6th!), I agree with the rest, I'm not tapping out yet, but if I ever have to, there's no shortage of games.
Wish I could've said the same about hardware too.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Many improvements have come since then.
Does ps5/xsx run matrix demo better then, or just like from what i know, stuff got added to it on pc/open source version, but console version didnt get single patch?:> IF im wrong and console versions indeed run better then i think DF would make a vid on it by now =D

HighPoly

Banned
I don't think we'll see an amazing graphic so soon!
My bet is how beautiful a new MARIO game is gonna look like!
on the Switch 2 with around 1,8 Teraflop and some kind of DLSS docked, to touch the 4k fidelity

But I still waiting for a extreme impressive visual for Last of Us 3 and maybe Wolverine...
:messenger_pensive:

Last edited:

SHA

Probably worst start of any new gen. And i've been in gaming for last 25 years. So much hype around Ryzen 8core,12tf gpu, ssd and most of games look like upgraded PS4 games and nothing like UE5 demos.
You have a point, they started to sound like effortless movies with infinite returns, tbh, actors aren't really doing something as it seems.

_Ex_

leave porn to porn

A video game having a sexy female does not equate to "porn". If you honestly believe that's so, you've lived a sheltered life and have never seen real porn. By your logic, every movie with a sexy female is also porn. Including all the ultra popular superhero films with sexy female actors, which millions of kids go and see. The theaters allow kids to watch, because superhero films with sexy females aren't porn, just as video games with sexy females aren't porn. Attractive females are an affront to no one, except those affected by warped puritanism or the woke mind virus.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
A video game having a sexy female does not equate to "porn". If you honestly believe that's so, you've lived a sheltered life and have never seen real porn. By your logic, every movie with a sexy female is also porn. Including all the ultra popular superhero films with sexy female actors, which millions of kids go and see. The theaters allow kids to watch, because superhero films with sexy females aren't porn, just as video games with sexy females aren't porn. Attractive females are an affront to no one, except those affected by warped puritanism or the woke mind virus.
Funny thing is in game like Last of Us Part 2 we have characters having sex and humping each other but not considered porn and instead its considered "brave".

Meanwhile character having sexy design that shows little skin......now that going too far.......where is the logic behind that?

Brave....
maxresdefault.jpg

Porn
maxresdefault.jpg

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Humdinger

I've been feeling this way, too. At first, I thought it was because I was getting old and jaded. While that may be partially true, I also think modern gaming has changed, become more corporate, less creative, more homogenous. I was a fan of Sony last gen -- or at least for the first half -- but I've grown increasingly bored with their cinematic-heavy approach. Most videogame stories are mediocre anyhow. If I want a good story and good characters, I'll read a book or watch a movie. I'm tired of the hours and hours of cutscenes. I miss the old days when games were just fun.

I own a PS5, but I've been largely disappointed with it. They ruined the only franchise I loved (Horizon). Ratchet and Clank was a favorite of mine on PS4, but Rift Apart was a mediocre follow-up. Spider-Man was okay, but I'm tired of the superhero thing. The other Sony franchises (TLOU2, God of War Ragnarok, Death Stranding, etc.) are stuffed heavy use of cinematic storytelling, which as I said I'm just bored with.

I can hear people say, "But there are great games coming out now." Sure: TotK, Baldur's Gate 3, Elden Ring, Starfield, etc. My problem with those is that gaming isn't a full-time hobby for me. I've got other things I like to do. I just game occasionally. All of these "bangers" seem too big to me, overwhelming almost. I tried to get into RDR2 recently, and I just couldn't. It's like I'm getting prepped to read a 1000-page novel. I'm just not up for that level of time commitment. I want smaller, shorter experiences. I can't find many indies that appeal to me.

I initially thought gaming was just dead to me. But recently I've been toying with the idea of doing some retro gaming. Earlier today, I bought an Xbox 360. I'm going to try to MGFA (make gaming fun again). I'm looking forward to playing some original Xbox and 360 titles. We'll see how it goes.

Last edited:
Graphics look good on every system and game now, so we should stop harping on stupid details in games about grass clippings and shit already. Time to hold the devs to higher standards like better game play, better matchmaking, better game design etc.
Edit: Why can’t we have it all?

Last edited:

NahaNago

I guess I kind of agree. I've definitely cut back on my purchases of games. Their are still some interesting games coming out but nothing that wows me right now. I mostly keep on eye on the indie stuff since I find them to be a bit more interesting and some of the games give me nostalgic feelings of gaming back during the ps1 and ps2 era when I see the trailers these days which is nice.

Top Bottom