• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This generaton has been a let down so far..

DryvBy

Pertaining to bullet 3:

Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, Axiom Verge 2, Evil Dead game, Mafia remake, OlliOlli World, Meet Your Maker, Sackboy, Chivalry 2, Tails of Iron, Trek to Yomi, Alan Wake Remaster, COD Muh Russia, Dreams, Deaths Door

You're staying not a single one of those games you like, including the few sports games theyve put out? Are you sure you like video games?

Last edited:

Codes 208

Lets see, in the last three years ive enjoyed…

Xbox: hi-fi rush, starfield

Ps5: demon souls, GoW: ragnarok, miles morales, Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart

Pc and 3rd party: elden ring, baldurs gate 3, AC6, phasmophobia, sonic frontiers, stray, MHR

Nintendo: TotK, kirby ATFL, splatoon 3, pikmin 4, metroid dread, pokemon arceus, animal crossing, bowser’s fury, mario party superstars

So yeah, im enjoying this gen so far

Gamerguy84

The Xbox 360 costed $526 to make in 2005
While PS5 only costed $450 in 2020

Not an issue at all, besides in 1990s, PCs were so expensive
Haha yea. I remember my parents paying I think $500 to have a CD-ROM soldered in. The comp itself was $2500 and dad literally did nothing with it. Good times.

Anyway I'm enjoying some PS games right now along with some VR. Gran Turismo is still amazing with it.

The "underpowered" argument is a pointless one.

No console at launch for £/$/€400 is ever going to match a pc at release, much less 3 or 4 years later.

The question is, what do I get for my money?

Can a 350 dollar pc match the X or ps5?

Some will argue it can, others it can't.

Comparing them to a $4000 system with a 1200 graphics card is moronic.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It just feels like this gen hasn't ever really started. Not on any scale. 3 years in I thogutb we would have seen something really innovative with this hardware but we haven't seen anything.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
“I have a theory on this. The goal of any company is to make profits. There is also some companies that put pride and love in their products.”

Interesting theory. I think you may be right…

Hudo

Dunno, in terms of "really, really good game releases (as in: Games that I will probably replay from time to time)", this year has been quite solid: I got Tears of the Kingdom and Baldur's Gate 3 (and probably New Super Mario Bros. Wonder). That's 3 games in that category; which is quite a lot. There were years where I'd consider none of the games released to be in that category for me. And Stronghold: Definitive Edition, which may be just a remake of the original, but still something that I play from time to time as well.

daninthemix

So you're saying that if you weren't told about pixel counts by outlets such as Digital Foundry, you'd be perfectly satisfied.

Ignorance is bliss. But there is no longer ignorance.

SHA

I agree with the OP : in 3 years, only crappy games like Demon's Souls Remake, TLOU Part I Remake, Dead Space Remake, RE 8, RE4 Remake, Elden Ring, GOW Ragnarok, Zelda TOTK, BG3, Starfield, GT7, Returnal, HORIZON FORBIDDEN WEST, Microsoft Flight Simulator, FH5, RATCHET AND CLANK RIFT APART, Diablo IV, Street Fighter 6, Armored Core 6(yes, a blast to play), Sea of Stars, Spiderman2 coming very soon, and many other games coming, and so many other games I didn't even mention; but wait, we also got the annoying pandemic for 2 years in the middle. A very disappointing Gen, yeah yeah.
Cause they're driven by sales figures, not their genuine motives.

Each generation gets more disappointing on a pure technology level. In regards to overall game quality(not technical) this generation has been pretty good and on a similar level to the previous.

Beechos

Power and system design are prob the one thing this gen nailed right. Sucky devs and unrealistic expectations are why not everything is 4k60fps. We want the world for 299-499. Just look at all the crazy rumors in the switch 2 threads.

PeteBull

here nice example, since ps3 to ps5 hardware jump is actually roughly on pair like ps1 to ps2 to ps3 jumps, u can see quite clearly how much better games can look given enough oomph is provided, ofc top tier dev, like bluepoint made it happen, u need talent and technical provess for it to work, obviously.

Now compare zelda botw on wiiu

vs zelda totk on switch

, almost no difference in power between hardware so visual jump is extremly tiny too, ofc its there, since those are not equal specs mashines and there is 6 years between both of the games launches, but... i think we all understand for games to look vastly better u need vast improvement in hardware specs as a prerequisite( given similar budget and talent of dev studio/time given to them).

Xtib81

Yep, it's been more of the same. The ps5 is more what I'd call a PS4 pro and the games have been the same than what we've been playing for 10 years. Seriously, AI is still absolutely shitty, open worlds look dead and gamey, there's no destruction etc.. the biggest next gen effect for me was playing rdr2 on PS4...

Last edited:

buenoblue

This is just not true for me. I feel like there has never been more diverse and quality of games. Just remember you don't have to play every game. The thing with any hobby, you can get burn out so maybbe take a break.

And to say Nintendo is saving us is laughable. If Sony or Microsoft put a game out looking like tears of the kingdom there would be a meltdown lol. And have you seen the pokemon games???? 😂😂😂

B
KtvuLOk.jpg
ut me I'm loving it. Playing on 65 inch oled vrr with Dolby Atmos setup. Pc with 144hz monitor. Steamdeck. Pc VR. Add in my home built mame cab for emulation of classic games and this is the best time gaming I've ever had 😎😎😎

Thaedolus

Gold Member
This is partly why I feel so disappointed in the lack of VR content…VR is the only thing that’s felt like a generational leap in the last 15 years but HL Alyx came out 3 years ago and I don’t want to buy two other headsets to play in their walled gardens.

SHA

here nice example, since ps3 to ps5 hardware jump is actually roughly on pair like ps1 to ps2 to ps3 jumps, u can see quite clearly how much better games can look given enough oomph is provided, ofc top tier dev, like bluepoint made it happen, u need talent and technical provess for it to work, obviously.

Now compare zelda botw on wiiu

vs zelda totk on switch

, almost no difference in power between hardware so visual jump is extremly tiny too, ofc its there, since those are not equal specs mashines and there is 6 years between both of the games launches, but... i think we all understand for games to look vastly better u need vast improvement in hardware specs as a prerequisite( given similar budget and talent of dev studio/time given to them).

Even some DC or 360 games still look gorgeous to this day, talk about wasting resources.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Sucks to be you. I have really dug this year in particular. I might bitch about Starfield's bugs, but I am getting into the game and liking it, 4 months ago I was awed by Zelda. FF was ok. Mario and Spider-Man look to be fun.

mrcroket

Sony and Microsoft have screwed over console gamers when it comes to next gem games. By becoming multiplatform with PC, we no longer get games designed solely around the console api and i/o system, which Sony spent so much time demonstrating for us how it would allow Unreal Engine 5 to excell on the console.

Now, when Insomniac and Naughty Dog make games, it's being designed to run well on a MYRIAD OF PC's too, none of which have the same architecture as PS5 (with its specialized i/o). This is just a cold hard fact now.

Consoles used to have that "secret sauce" which was really just that devs had ONE architecture to worry about. You combine this with the fact that Ps5 and Series X are not powerful aside from the i/o and you have a recipe for what we've got this gen. Without Sony and Microsoft redesigning their engines use the SSD in the way UE5's Matrix demo does, we're not going to be wowed. Look at Spiderman 2, LoU Part 1 which are from 2 premiere studio built for PS5. Why aren't these games easily looking way better than their previous entries in the series? Lack of new engines and being made to run well on a myriad of devices. Console gamers should feel like we've gotten the short end of that stick a bit while PC gamers should be filled with glee.
First, the super special IO of PS5 is bullshit, the unreal engine 5 demos using Nanite run much faster on PC, not to mention that games like Ratchet and Clank, developed exclusively to take advantage of "the magical IO of the PS5" runs smoothly on "standard" PCs.

Secondly the "secret sauce" thing is something that stopped making sense 2 generations ago, since the PS4 and XBONE, consoles have used hardware taken directly from PC hardware.

Lastly, this console generation is the one that brings console power closer to PC gamers than anyone.

Jadsey

For me this generation is great unless you're a pixel counter bitch (which is more absurd than ever) . We have almost totally silent consoles, with a lot of 60fps games, very fast to no load screens, totally backward compatibility with more stable performance and some games patches to the new gen. The people that complaint are mostly pc gamers that don't care or even don't have a console, or people that will complaint anyway no matter of good the consoles are.

Or, people that like good games.

It’s the quality of games that defines a generation, not all the window dressing in your list.

mrcroket

Or, people that like good games.

It’s the quality of games that defines a generation, not all the window dressing in your list.
I agree, but look at the comments in this thread and others, and the situation of the forum. The mayor complaint of most people are literally pixel count and framerate in games, in fact when a new game is release the most discussed point is the tech quality of the game, not the game itselft. My post is intended to debate those nonsensical complaints about console hardware.

Nvzman

If you expected 4k/60fps standard on a $400-$500 machine your expectations are simply too high. Most computers still struggle with that, even $1000-$1500 setups.
Tbh I only care about games for a generation, and this gen has already kicked PS4/Xbone's ass. PS4 gen was such a snooze fest. 2023 alone absolutely has shat on nearly every release from 2014-2019.

elmos-acc

I would blame mostly western third-party AAA publishers for not generating anything that is worth the hype and feels "next-gen". As much as we shit on EA, Ubisoft and Activision, they have the resources to define the generation with few other publishers and them being multiplatform has meant that they are not only a subject to the console war. Of course we have lost Bethesda and Acti to the MS/Xbox portfolio, but the others are lacking as well.

At this point last gen, we had AAA multiplatform games that were obviously not possible on previous hardware. Batman: Arkham Knight, R6 Siege, Dying Light, The Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Alien Isolation, MGS V, Battlefield 1 and others. Even if some games were disappointing like Dice's Star Wars: Battlefront games or AC: Unity, the audience was excited to play those games and they seemed like just what everyone wanted. Sequels and remakes of popular games were announced, lots of fan service like bringing back Crash and Spyro for example.

Nowadays, if EA, Ubisoft and Acti announced that they are closing their doors next week, I would not probably even notice since all there are no announced games I'm looking forward to. It seems like Capcom and FromSoft are the only ones that have it together right now.

Forth

I sold my PS5 after two years and I'm returning my Xbox Series X after my disappointment with Starfield.
I can't believe that the Switch is my favourite console this generation, I honestly can't believe it.

TheHolyGhost

Neo Member
I will never care for graphical fidelity, 4K, 8K whatever - what I'm happy about is loading times being non existent for most games nowadays. I remember playing Bloodborne at launch and it had nearly 90 seconds of loading times, drove me borderline mad so when Elden Ring came out I feared the worst but surprisingly on my PS5 the game's loading times were never longer than 2-3 seconds, and the launch performance was also miles ahead compared to BB, though it had it's issues at launch.

It is kinda funny how this gen was hyped as basically eliminate loading times and yet the two big games just released have pretty substantial loading times.

Im a loading time hater connoisseur, which other game beside Starfield is this? I don't think the 2-3 seconds of SF is that bad, they could've done a much better job at hiding some of these loading screens though.

Last edited:
I would blame mostly western third-party AAA publishers for not generating anything that is worth the hype and feels "next-gen". As much as we shit on EA, Ubisoft and Activision, they have the resources to define the generation with few other publishers and them being multiplatform has meant that they are not only a subject to the console war. Of course we have lost Bethesda and Acti to the MS/Xbox portfolio, but the others are lacking as well.

At this point last gen, we had AAA multiplatform games that were obviously not possible on previous hardware. Batman: Arkham Knight, R6 Siege, Dying Light, The Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Alien Isolation, MGS V, Battlefield 1 and others. Even if some games were disappointing like Dice's Star Wars: Battlefront games or AC: Unity, the audience was excited to play those games and they seemed like just what everyone wanted. Sequels and remakes of popular games were announced, lots of fan service like bringing back Crash and Spyro for example.

Nowadays, if EA, Ubisoft and Acti announced that they are closing their doors next week, I would not probably even notice since all there are no announced games I'm looking forward to. It seems like Capcom and FromSoft are the only ones that have it together right now.
The Witcher 3 was downgraded from 2013 demo, i heard people blaming the PS4 and Xbox One for being underpowered, as GTX 780 outperfomed both consoles

MGS V was on PS3 and X360, even when it ran at 20-30fps, that how games ran in 7th gen

Inanilmaz

I don't know if im getting old but im not hyped like in the old days anymore. This gen doesn't look bad tho BUT could be better. i want to play those games when the ps5 pro gets released in the future:
Ratchet & Clank
Spiderman 2
Wolverine
Baldurs Gate
Grand Theft Auto 6
Max Payne Remake
Destroy All Humans 2 Remake
Lollipop Chainsaw Remake
Hogwarts Legacy
And some Cross gen games.

Last edited:
This is the weakest generation upgrade I've ever known by far. You'll have to wait until midway through the PS6's life before you see the kind of graphical upgrade the PS4 had over PS3.
Folks in 2013, said that PS3 to PS4 was small
Even thought PS4 got Killzone Shadow Fall, Infamous Second Son which looked better than their predecessors

Killzone 2 on PS3
11651875-killzone-2-playstation-3-thats-called-a-rough-landing.jpg

Killzone Shadow Fall on PS4
large.jpg

marjo

I love how we have threads calling this one of the best years ever and then this.

Not joking, it’s nice we aren’t a hive mind
Is it weird that I agree with both of those sentiments? We've undoubtedly had a lot of great games this year, yet I still feel like there's been something missing the last few years. I think it's the sense of something truly revolutionary. And I'm not just talking about graphics either. I think the last time I felt a sense of genuine awe, was when I played Half Life: Alyx, which feels like forever ago

Last edited:

NT80

Folks in 2013, said that PS3 to PS4 was small
Even thought PS4 got Killzone Shadow Fall, Infamous Second Son which looked better than their predecessors

Killzone 2 on PS3
11651875-killzone-2-playstation-3-thats-called-a-rough-landing.jpg

Killzone Shadow Fall on PS4
large.jpg

I thought Infamous Second Son looked amazing when it came out and that was pretty early on in that gen then there was The Order 1886 among others. Nothing this gen so far has impressed anywhere near as much going from the previous gen. I can't imagine GTA 6 being anything like the graphical upgrade RDR2 was over RDR1.

Tqaulity

No console at launch for £/$/€400 is ever going to match a pc a top spec PC at release, much less 3 or 4 years later.
No offense to you, but this is the kind of saying that is annoyingly repeated constantly by PC gamers and it is wholely inaccurate. The PC is NOT a singular platform so you simply can't make a statement like that and compare any 1 platform to "a PC". The fact of the matter is that at launch in Nov 2020, the PS5/Series X spec would have exceeded the capabilities of roughly 97% of all the PCs on the market at the time. No, not everyone with a PC had an Ampere RTX 3080/3090 at the time or a Zen 3 CPU or an NVME SSD. And even if you did, due to the fixed hardware and optimizations in a console, you still wouldn't get the same overall speed and consistency in performance as "superior" PCs on paper. So, first when you say "ever going to match"...you have to define what you mean by "match". Match how or based on what criteria? If it's just pixel counts and frame rates for the top spec PCs of the day then Ok that may be true. But one can argue there are many aspects in which a console could "match" orexceed even a top spec PC of the day.

Of course over time, a wider range of PCs will be able to match and exceed the consoles but I can confidently say that not one of my 3 PCs/laptops I had in Nov 2020 could hold a candle to the PS5/Series X for gaming....which fundamentally makes that statement false.

Sorry but i did not like it at all. Not my type of game.
Kinda late reply on this from my part, and I know that Returnal is not everyone's cup of tea and tbh that's more than fine with me. I'm just happy that there are still first party publishers willing to fund these experimental game productions like Returnal and Death Stranding which you don't often see (if at all) in the safe space that AAA game dev has become.

In any case, your comment prompted me to revisit my original experience with the game. I've tried putting my thoughts on Returnal into writing as best I could in this thread: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/do-y...arty-game-released-so-far-on-the-ps5.1660877/

Last edited:

_Ex_

Reasons I me personally just talking about myself here not you don't care about 9th gen going forward:

1. I already own more video games than I can reasonably expect to finish. I'm sure I easily own over a thousand physical games (6th, 7th, 8th gen and PC, I emulate 5th gen and back) most of which are as of yet unplayed, because I tend to sell or give away a game once I beat it. Meaning my existing backlog library consists of new-to-me stuff almost 100%. When I add my digital purchases, and ROMs/ISOs to the mix, well that's a tremendous many more games available as well. At some point this becomes ludicrous to keep adding more games to the pile. (Some would argue I surpassed ludicrous in the 7th gen alone.) Ergo it'd be extra specially ludicrous for me to buy into the 9th gen and beyond, given the scope of what I've already got to play. I don't have infinite time to play video games, nor do I want to do that.

2. I don't want to spend loads more money on more video games. Since the late '80s, I've spent a small fortune on this hobby. Now that I'm in middle age, I'd rather put more of my money towards retirement investment funds, big vacations, asset building and so forth. Once I clear the 8th gen collecting I'm doing now, I'm done sinking money into this hobby.

3. I'm not a fan of all-digital and that's where we are headed, period. While I realize that most 8th gen discs are just glorified download initiators, I can still SELL those discs. Ergo I can recoup some of my financial investment (beyond the entertainment gained from playing the game I mean). You can't resell a digital purchase in general, it's a one time buy no time sell. All-digital puts all the power in the hands of the publisher, and no power in the hands of the consumer. That's a totalitarian future I'm not interested in.

4. Western designed games have become too political. I won't go into details. Let's just say, I'm sick of seeing a certain political ideology front and center in many modern, western-designed, video games. I refuse to support that crap. On that note:

5. Sexy females are going extinct in western games. I enjoy sexy female protagonists and sexy women in games in general. If that makes me a despicable, shallow, Simple Man™ - I assure you not one iota of a fuck is given on my behalf. I play video games to enjoy myself, and being bombarded with fugly vidya females works against that enjoyment. Thus far Japan has avoided this trope, and I hope it stays that way. But this is an endemic issue for western designed games (both American and European). Meanwhile western designed games still have handsome muscle men galore - oh there's no double standard obviously.

6. The monetization is out of control. Not sure how much I need to expound on this. I'm just tired of seeing every new AA or AAA game being monetized to absolute death. I want to buy a game and own it succinctly and holistically. Not buy a game, only to have a good 30% of its content sanctioned off as DLC, IAP, NFT, "F2P", subscription services, premium tiers... all while being subjected to in-game-advertisements as well. It's medium diluting, anti-consumer bullshit, and I refuse to support it going forward.

7. The homogenization is lazy and real. Too many games using the same exact design tropes, over and over and over. Linear narrative tunnels, open-world whack-a-mole, battle royale, legions of this crap lately. I understand there are exceptions, but put aside your binary thinking for a minute, and look at the bigger picture. Holistically there has been a homogenization of game designs en masse into an ever-narrowing envelope of genres. I miss the wild west days of the 5th and 6th generations, when crazy unique game designs were aplomb... and that stuff wasn't relegated to indies either. Publishers are simply far too risk-averse these days.

8. Diminishing graphical returns. It's the 9th gen, and guess what? That ray tracing was a lie! I don't think that 9th gen games have, thus far, been much of a graphical improvement over the 8th gen. And the 8th gen wasn't really all that huge of a leap from the 7th gen. We've simply reached the point of diminishing returns on graphical evolution. At least until real-time high FPS ray tracing happens... which looks like it might be the 10th gen for that. Even so, there's only so much money a publisher/studio can spend on developing graphics regardless, and still be able to hit an appreciable ROI. This is a problem for a medium that has been largely visually driven, insofar as the primary impetus to upgrade to the newest consoles available. Or to build a new PC rig. Without ever evolving eye candy, where's the impetus? Moore's law simply doesn't apply to video game graphics, and that's disappointing.

9. Innovation is at an all time low. Be honest with yourself, did the 7th and 8th gen really feel all that different? Or did it feel like the 8th gen was just a slightly prettier reiteration of the 7th gen's games all over again? I know how I feel in that regard. Have you played/watched the available 9th gen games? Well, to me, they look like marginally nicer visuals of 8th gen games, which were only slightly prettier reiterations of 7th gen games. This is all to say, that despite the increasing processing power, we're not seeing evolved genres or new game designs entirely, that could only exist thanks to improvements in hardware. Instead we are seeing marginally nicer looking rehashes of the same game designs we've had since the 7th gen, if not the 6th and 5th. I don't care how much faster the framerate is, or higher the resolution is, if I'm constantly bombarded with deja vu. And don't give me that "well indies are where the innovation is" crap. Yes there are some innovative indie games, but the vast majority of indie games are platformers, or wannabe JRPGs/VNs. The indie scene is just as laden with a lack of sincere innovation as the corporate scene is.

10. The amount of sequels and remakes is too damn high! If you need proof of just how creatively bankrupt this medium has become, take some time to explore the amount of sequels and remakes lately. It's ridiculous. Also look at the upcoming ones! It's sad. There are still as of yet, unexplored design concepts, untapped demographic appeasements, and novel technological implementations to attempt (especially in the realm of augmented reality). But we'll never see them as long as the masses keep buying rehash sequels and slightly glossier remakes galore. Developers will remain just as lazy as their consumers' tastes are, because that's where the easy money is.

And a bonus reason is what OP mentioned; The releasing of unfinished/broken games is really out of control. I'm not going to pay money for "early access" to be a beta tester, and I'm sure not paying $70 to be a beta tester either. No thanks.

Ergo I'm tapping out after I'm done collecting for my Switch and PS4 libraries. Ya'll can have the digital dystopia future.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I think it depends on what you focus on. The AAA space is largely trash IMO. Indies are great and PSVR2 has so many great games. VR has issues too with patches but the support generally does arrive and it's much more palatable for me when you take into account most games are less than $30 and the developers are like a team of 5 friends. Hard to be irate at fledgling teams trying their best.

Ecotic

I think there's a camp that wanted this generation to have both the whole graphical package (4K at 60 fps with ray-tracing), and a next-gen level of gameplay complexity. That was the baseline and there should be nothing less. But with these consoles there's just not enough processing power for both, and maybe not even one. It's a dream deferred until at least a pro version comes out.

I even checked the meaning of what u said "orders of magnitude" which means at least 2x 10 faster(1 order of magnitude is 10x faster), which is lack of knowledge or if u got the knowledge a simple lie, ps5/xsx are smallest jump we had, powerwise, compared to ps1 to ps2 to ps3 to ps4, especially gpu wise, cpu wise that 3x increase is solid if we forget about 30 to 60fps but stick with 30.

Edit: If those current gen consoles(lets skip xss but focus on ps5 and xsx) were in reality "orders of magnitude" faster vs old gen, so at least 20x, not 6x, we would have matrix demo stable in 1800p 60fps, yet its not the case obviously

Watch it again, focus on performance and resolution info.

TLOU 2 was done on 1.8 TFLOPS...

Top Bottom