• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time for Xbox to clean house and plan the next-generation console

elmos-acc

For the next system I would like to see a portable device like a Switch/Steamdeck hybrid, essentially it would be the new 'S' tier console. The 'X' or premium home experience would simply be an upgraded dock containing a discreet GPU. That way the console would be comparable in power with the next iteration PlayStation when docked but would be able to play all games on the go. The other benefit is that gamers could purchase the dock for the premium experience at any time. This would be waaay more interesting than what they are doing now.
In my opinion, that would be a great idea. Which is exactly why MS will probably do the opposite.

Greggy

They don't have a hardware problem. at all. Their hardware and services are top notch.
They just have a really hard time releasing their games. They take an eternity to put games out and when they do, it's disappointing. That doesn't forgive in this business. If it wasn't for their pockets, they would be gone.
Their unique ability to deliver less with more is now impossible to disguise and it seems even their Xone fans have started to lose confidence.
Matt Booty needs to go. Blount can stay because of Game Pass. And I'm sorry but it might be time for someone else to do Phil's job.
Go get Peter Moore from EA. Bring him back. Give him the means he never had at Sega or even in the 360 days.
Maybe try Jaffe. See if he can walk the walk. I would just have a break clause in case he farms weed in his office or is caught cursing online after he's been made head of the brand.
Does Aime Fils (former Nintendo) have a job?
It's come to that unfortunately. The largest budgets in the world and utterly unable to compete. Sue Gallagher. The guy was hired in 2008 and was given the budget of the Gaza strip to launch a studio. Insomniac will be releasing its fourth game of the year contender in a row before this guy puts out a non CGI trailer. I mean with such anti accountability how dare anyone be surprised that the overall picture is bleak?

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Go get Roger Moore.
Roger Moore Smile GIF by James Bond 007

JackMcGunns

Phil took over in 2014, he needs more time.

glOLhAV.jpg

He made significant changes.

He killed Kinect, that was Don Mattrick's vision with TV TV TV and DRM which was the major crux for Xbone.
He pioneered the BC program. Everyone said it couldn't be done, heck Sony didn't try, but Xbox 360 BC and even as far back as the OG Xbox is definitely great and seemleess.
He gave fans Scorpio which was sort of "Make up" for the disaster that was Xbone and it delivered, it definitely beat the PS Pro in every way.
Xbox play anywhere, slowly integrating Xbox and PC is a good thing that now even Sony is copying bringing their big titles to PC.

But the 2 major things that Phil pioneered was convincing MS to spend BILLIONS of dollars on the Xbox brand. MS spending billions to purchase game studios is a testament that they're taking Xbox as a serious investment. The 2nd is putting all chips into Game Pass which could make or break Xbox, but so far for gamers, I can only see it as the best deal in gaming, opinions be damned.

Turning a ship around takes time, a generation is now about 7-8 years and all of the investment spent is likely to have fruit next generation, THIS generation is when all these changes are happening and it takes a minimum of 5 years to make the simplest game now a days, so some people have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to a timeline, major changes are happening AS WE SPEAK! LOL.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Xbox has been around since 2001 and I am not totally sure they are better off now than they were in the 1990s when they were building up a really strong PC game division. I think 2023 was really concerning. This was supposed to be the year their big investments started paying dividends. They launched 3 big games and none of them were as good as they could have or should have been. They also seemed surprised at the negative reaction and state of Redfall, which points to major issues in the management/oversight function that Phil Spencer's office basically exists to be at this point. So what is there to be excited about, we are already hearing cope from Xbox shills like the post above this one.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Xbox has been around since 2001 and I am not totally sure they are better off now than they were in the 1990s when they were building up a really strong PC game division. I think 2023 was really concerning. This was supposed to be the year their big investments started paying dividends. They launched 3 big games and none of them were as good as they could have or should have been. They also seemed surprised at the negative reaction and state of Redfall, which points to major issues in the management/oversight function that Phil Spencer's office basically exists to be at this point. So what is there to be excited about, we are already hearing cope from Xbox shills like the post above this one.
They are better in the sense that they got a much stronger presence but they are worse because there was nowhere to go but up back in 2001. They were still building their portfolio of games and it peaked in the middle of the Xbox 360 era. Unlike back then, they have no Gears, Halo, Forza, or Fable to look forward to attract consumers. All these franchises with the exception of Forza have fizzled out into irrelevance.

Their two biggest new IPs are Avowed and Everwild. One we know nothing about. The other has shown a less-than-impressive trailer.

Ev1L AuRoN

According to the fans and Microsoft themselves, they don't really need to sell consoles, is the game pass growing that really matter.
Too bad, xCloud is pretty much used as a mean to test games before download, and the growing of the subscribing base is closely tied with the consoles, PC gamers are shown that they rather pay full price for games on steam then had to deal with Microsoft shitty store.

Their business model doesn't seem conductive to high quality AAA games productions like Sony and a few other publishers can do. At some point even Microsoft will need to stop bleeding money, or their business is sound and can pull its own weight or is just a slow death.

MS just spent by far their most amount ever on an acquisition for Activision. They expect cloud gaming in the future.

The Xbox itself just has no real first party exclusives or identity. They release everything on PC, Sony at least makes them wait for stuff like Spider-Man 2. Xbox used to be the Forza/Halo/Gears console and those are all down massively these days.

I think the worst part of this is that Xbox feels gimped and half assed compared to PC versions of the same games. No way is MS having their devs put the same effort and optimization that they used to for their console exclusives. I see it a lot now with Starfield not getting 60 fps or mods, with FH5 not getting new technology advancements that get patched into the PC, or recently with Forza Motorsport where the devs just made major improvements to the PC version while the SX version looks like crap.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
they don't really need to sell consoles, is the game pass growing that really matter.
You really need a bunch of 1st party exclusives to drive the GP sales. That hasn't really been the case. 3rd party AAA developers generally will not put their new games exclusive to Xbox, let alone on Game Pass on Xbox. So, they really need a steady flow of new games. Just like Disney+ and Netflix do....need a steady flow of new material.

Top Bottom