• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time for Xbox to clean house and plan the next-generation console

GHG

The sales for for all released games of the series counted together is what, like 5 million?Not exactly a known game.

What Is It Reaction GIF by Nebraska Humane Society

Try over double that.

Even if it were "only" 5 million, that's still miles away from it being some unknown "hidden gem".

The only way you wouldn't have had exposure to the series is if you've been gaming exclusively on Xbox for decades on end.

Kilau

So have I (waited in line at midnight to pick up PS1 with Ridge Racer and WipeOut), I have had every PlayStation including portables (imported PSP from Japan at launch because UK launch was months later), PSVR and Portal and my interest isn't waining in the slightest. I have also had most Nintendo consoles, most Sega consoles and a couple of MS consoles. But mine nor your opinion matters, what matters is that of the masses who buy them, and in that respect people are buying PlayStation more than ever while interest in XBox is dying.

As for Japan Studio, they hadn't done anything in ages, and just weren't profitable, the only team worth keeping was Team Asobi which is what they did.
Glad for you that you can still enjoy their output and look forward to their plans. I never implied my opinion mattered, just how I see things going there. I’m also not happy with what MS is doing and I’m not saying that even if Sony runs PS into the ground that MS will take over just that they could.

Raonak

Banned
I think Sony is in the process of imploding the PlatStation brand so Xbox just needs to stay the course and pick up the pieces.

prime example of echochamber logic.

For all intents and purposes, playstation is arguably more successful and dominant as it's ever been.
Their hardware is fantastic and they have a great lineup of big name games.
The only actual complaint is that they havent announced enough future games.

Meanwhile, xbox made "all the right moves" this generation, and it accounted to selling even worse than the xbone.

reality is; xbox is the one imploding.

Last edited:

Eotheod

Holy shit at those mental gymnastics, zero self awareness and amazing passive aggressiveness 😁

Content = quantity, amirite?
What about quality ? Oh wait, you're playing some third party games "for free" via Gamepass instead of actually spending the bucks, and people wonder about the decline of gaming/sales and whether that leads to lower quality produced content...

Wow brother, again, zero self awareness whatsoever...
Actually I've been playing more first party or third party exclusives then actual third party games surprisingly. No mental gymnastics either, just laying out my opinion on where I stand and answering what the OP wanted to discuss.

I personally don't see a need to care about the console wars and how each business is fundamentally going. If the games are there, is that not the content we should be caring about and not how many X or Y are selling? I fully understand the ecosystem of GAF in that it's a dedicated fanbase so further scrutiny is on the specifics, but the games are the selling point. Anything else is just fluff for the sake of winning digital points on a digital fake leaderboard.

I also haven't seen any reduction in quality so far since Game Pass has been a thing. Quality is also subjective to the person playing the game, same with the subjectiveness on what platform you play on. There is no silver bullet that fixes all, because anything one person likes another may dislike.

That's why the focus should be on the games and whether they are enjoyed by X person. There should be no significant weight to as a collective have we voted who the so called "winner" is because it ignores the actual content to squabble about internet points.

Kilau

For all intents and purposes, playstation is arguably more successful and dominant as it's ever been.

Meanwhile, xbox made "all the right moves" this generation, and it accounted to selling even worse than the xbone.

GAF is still very positive toward PlayStation so no not echochamber logic, just how I feel the brand is trending. Xbox pretty much imploded with the Xbone but thanks to MS' trillions the brand gets bigger through acquisitions.

Klayzer

GAF is still very positive toward PlayStation so no not echochamber logic, just how I feel the brand is trending. Xbox pretty much imploded with the Xbone but thanks to MS' trillions the brand gets bigger through acquisitions.
The acquisitions doesn't do shit for the Xbox brand. All those games were coming to the platform regardless. Now, its helps Microsoft's bottom line. Another key factor is, they are now responsible for development and marketing, staff, etc.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Holy shit at those mental gymnastics, zero self awareness and amazing passive aggressiveness 😁

Content = quantity, amirite?
What about quality ? Oh wait, you're playing some third party games "for free" via Gamepass instead of actually spending the bucks, and people wonder about the decline of gaming/sales and whether that leads to lower quality produced content...

Wow brother, again, zero self awareness whatsoever...
What a lot of people arent understanding is that Xbox isn't just consoles. They don't treat their platform like console are the sole source of success. Again, it just isn't. GaF harping on Xbox and how they should give up because of console sales is......just wrong. They care about console sales. It just isn't their main priority. They've said as much many times.

Not everyone shares the same sentiment about the Xbox platform like GaF does. Tens of millions of people like what their doing on team green. Many more are joining. Many, many more don't frequent forums like us. Those people don't care or even know about GaF. And they'll come into the fold as more games release and probably win to Gamepass. GaF doesn't represent the gaming community as a whole. Not even remotely.

Gavon West

How is Xbox imploding exactly? First time I'm hearing about a trillion dollar company imploding after making a $70 billion dollar acquisition. Make it make sense.

Gavon West

The acquisitions doesn't do shit for the Xbox brand. All those games were coming to the platform regardless. Now, its helps Microsoft's bottom line. Another key factor is, they are now responsible for development and marketing, staff, etc.
Oh, the acquisition does A LOT for the brand. They just haven't started marketing the IPs heavily. A lot is going to change just in the next upcoming year. It's easy to press on Xbox while they get things in order. Things will change substantially once ABK is fully integrated and the other studios drop their releases.

In my opinion, I think many can sense that Microsoft is readjusting things. Theres a shift on the horizon and I firmly believe gamers on all sides know it.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
What a lot of people arent understanding is that Xbox isn't just consoles. They don't treat their platform like console are the sole source of success. Again, it just isn't. GaF harping on Xbox and how they should give up because of console sales is......just wrong. They care about console sales. It just isn't their main priority. They've said as much many times.

Not everyone shares the same sentiment about the Xbox platform like GaF does. Tens of millions of people like what their doing on team green. Many more are joining. Many, many more don't frequent forums like us. Those people don't care or even know about GaF. And they'll come into the fold as more games release and probably win to Gamepass. GaF doesn't represent the gaming community as a whole. Not even remotely.

You guys know console sales are important, but you guys flip-flop whenever Xbox is selling poorly.

Notice what expectations you had for this generation back in 2018.

Dec 2018
You DO understand that hardware isnt as big a factor for Microsoft? Who said anything about hardware sales????

When Microsoft started acquiring studios, you were talking about how they were going to be more competitive and sell consoles.

Sept 2020 - Microsoft Acquires Zenimax

Notice how you were talking about how the Zenimax acquisition would boost console sales.

Yeah. If you take out the millions of subs and consoles theyd sell due to just this one title on Xbox and PC. Thats not including everything else they have coming down the pike. This is no different than them acquiring NT or PGG, only, this is a conglomerate of games and developers under one roof. They'll keep all prior contracts in place. After that, no more.

This is a long game play. TES alone sells consoles. In this case it'll sell subscriptions too. As will the next Doom, etc. GP is the end game. That's probably the primary reason why you can expect all of these games to stay exclusive. The more subscriptions the more money they make every single month. If GP wasnt a part of the equation, Id say most of you saying they'd still make these games multiplatform are probably right. That's not the case here. No way they invested this kind of money to bolster the competitions console, too. That's just stupid. They couldve locked down a GP deal for all these games and saved themselves billions of dollars. They bought the whole rack!

Jul 2022 - Xbox X|S Has Outsold PS5 in NA for 3 Quarters in a Row
Are you forgetting all the games coming to the Xbox platform? They bought an ass load of devs in the last few years and GP is going to get super bonkers when all those first party exclusives start dropping day one. Like, massive heavy hitters are in the pipeline as we speak.

I've said it before, this gen will be wholly different than any other. Sony legitimately has competition this gen via Xbox.

You guys love to change the narrative whenever you guys think Xbox is doing well.

Fact is, you guys know console sales are important and it's one of the biggest areas where they need to grow.

Klayzer

You guys know console sales are important, but you guys flip-flop whenever Xbox is selling poorly.

Dec 2018

When Microsoft started acquiring studios, you were talking about how they were going to be more competitive and sell consoles.

Notice how you were talking about how the Zenimax acquisition would boost console sales.

You guys love to change the narrative whenever you guys think Xbox is doing well.

Fact is, you guys know console sales are important and it's one of the biggest areas where they need to grow.
How quickly they jumped off the Zeninax acquisition bandwagon to the Actvision train.

Spitfire098

Dec 2018

Bro brought out the reciepts
Ryan Gosling Clap GIF

Raonak

Banned
How is Xbox imploding exactly? First time I'm hearing about a trillion dollar company imploding after making a $70 billion dollar acquisition. Make it make sense.

Xbox is not trillion dollar company, it's a failing divison of a successful company.

The xbox brand is arguably less relevant than it's ever been, it's hardware is selling less year on year, it has a massively increased payroll during a cost of living crisis,
and it's put all it's hopes on a subscription service which has stagnated.

Last edited:

Korso

Drain the swamp. It's been said in this thread a hundred times already but the swamp is still swamping so it must be said again. Microsoft pioneered the "delete" button with Windows; time to use it on a few employment contracts.

Cyberpunkd

You joke, but he would likely do a better job.

He knew that gamepass was suicide for AAA day one. He admitted it in court in front of his next boss.

Employee culture would need a serious looking at, but he knows how to run a successful publisher.
Agreed, this guy is a ruthless businessman delivering results, unlike Phil.

Eotheod

Xbox is not trillion dollar company, it's a failing divison of a successful company.

The xbox brand is arguably less relevant than it's ever been, it's hardware is selling less year on year, it has a massively increased payroll during a cost of living crisis,
and it's put all it's hopes on a subscription service which has stagnated.
I would love to live in a world of just one console that has games. Competitive prices based on need to be seen so it creates a race to the bottom benefiting consumers, one set of development tools, one price tag that shouldn't be influenced by greed or any external competitors. The choices would be phenomenal, from your GaaS infested hellscape to your once a gen singleplayer cinematic experience that sells like hot cakes.

What a world to live in.

midnightAI

I would love to live in a world of just one console that has games. Competitive prices based on need to be seen so it creates a race to the bottom benefiting consumers, one set of development tools, one price tag that shouldn't be influenced by greed or any external competitors. The choices would be phenomenal, from your GaaS infested hellscape to your once a gen singleplayer cinematic experience that sells like hot cakes.

What a world to live in.
Now I could be reading your post wrong, but...
I think most want MS to be competitive, they just aren't really at the moment, and personally some of the tactics (buying out publishers) to try and keep up are dodgy at best. There is a big difference between buying a developer who will compliment/improve your portfolio than buying up whole publishers in hope one or two of those studios may produce a hit (and potentially individual studios then suffer and/or are closed)

In fact, all I see is MS fans wanting Sony to be crushed, destroyed, wiped out while Sony fans just want MS to do better (or laugh at them, but yes, some want MS to go away, but its not as aggressive as MS fans, certainly on Twitter/YouTuber and other social media).
I want competition, I have an XBox, I wanted certain games that have been released recently that I was really looking forward to be much better than they actually were (that's my opinion, others disagree). But your argument (if this is what you meant) about GaaS and single player games isn't really relevant when MS has just as many if not more GaaS games already released or coming out. And it would be good if MS could get a 'singleplayer cinematic experience that sells like hot cakes' out of the door, maybe Hellblade will be that game when that does eventually come out, Sony has several of these per gen (and they are my preferred game type) but MS so far hasnt really put in the effort/money to make those kinds of games (other than the aforementioned Hellblade).

Yes please cut this gen short and go with another console. Come out a year or two before ps6 so you can play games that are targeted at PS5 with slightly higher settings three more years into cross gen, including your own. Let the current population know that you aren't necessarily committed to a whole gen when they buy a console. Live in a a whole year of ps6 hype leading to launch. This is the most Philish plan and I hope they let him do it.
Sony supports their playstation for 10 years. People can trust them on it.

They’re always working on the next hardware… that’s standard practice with every console maker going back 40 years now…

Getting so sick & tired of all the whiny anti-Xbox threads that are just random thoughts that pop into peoples heads. But sure let’s keeping doing threads like this 🤦‍♂️

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I think Sony is in the process of imploding the PlatStation brand so Xbox just needs to stay the course and pick up the pieces.
One of them is imploding alright. Hint: it isn't the one who continues to report record-breaking quarters.

All Sony needs to keep doing is release the bangers that people want. It is Xbox that needs to overhaul their business, in my eyes, almost entirely. But, I guess we'll see what they come up with.

Last edited:

Crayon

Sony supports their playstation for 10 years. People can trust them on it.

That's true. I think people know their Playstation isn't instantly expiring when they hear about the next one.

One of the most glaring flaws about the series s strategy is that it's role could have been filled by the Xbox one had Phil not been so eager to dump it. Every ps has had something interesting going on at the time the next was announced. None were in life support or swept under the rug.

digdug2

🙄 this has been discussed and picked apart to death already and your comment is incredibly inaccurate.
What's inaccurate about it?

The head of Xbox allowed Redfall's disastrous launch to happen. He also allowed one of Xbox's flagship titles, Halo Infinite, to launch in an absolute mediocre state. And sure, Starfield has the least amount of bugs for a Bethesda RPG to date, but it did not live up to the hype.

Xbox as a brand in 2023 is disappointing at best and a money pit for MS at worst.

Alan Wake

That's true. I think people know their Playstation isn't instantly expiring when they hear about the next one.

One of the most glaring flaws about the series s strategy is that it's role could have been filled by the Xbox one had Phil not been so eager to dump it. Every ps has had something interesting going on at the time the next was announced. None were in life support or swept under the rug.

I kind of understand why Microsoft were eager to drop the Xbox One and turn the page. But at the same time they didn't do much to help people forget about it when they designed the Series X game boxes which looked almost identical to the ones for Xbox One giving an impression of continuity. I don't know. Maybe they just didn't care.

Alan Wake

What's inaccurate about it?

The head of Xbox allowed Redfall's disastrous launch to happen. He also allowed one of Xbox's flagship titles, Halo Infinite, to launch in an absolute mediocre state. And sure, Starfield has the least amount of bugs for a Bethesda RPG to date, but it did not live up to the hype.

Xbox as a brand in 2023 is disappointing at best and a money pit for MS at worst.
Halo Infinite didn't launch in a mediocre state. The campaign was great. What fell flat was the post-launch support for the game. With all the issues the team had during development shows there's something amiss at 343, and Microsoft should give the IP to another studio. Not doing so to salvage the franchise would be Spencer's fault.

digdug2

Halo Infinite didn't launch in a mediocre state. The campaign was great. What fell flat was the post-launch support for the game. With all the issues the team had during development shows there's something amiss at 343, and Microsoft should give the IP to another studio. Not doing so to salvage the franchise would be Spencer's fault.
I disagree about the campaign being great, because it felt like a newer open world Ubisoft game. Clear outposts, upgrade cores, rescue some marines, kill a generic HVT, travel through the same corridor countless times, etc. Too much bloat and copy/paste.

Alan Wake

I disagree about the campaign being great, because it felt like a newer open world Ubisoft game. Clear outposts, upgrade cores, rescue some marines, kill a generic HVT, travel through the same corridor countless times, etc. Too much bloat and copy/paste.

That's fine. I'm not saying it was revolutionary, but it was something we hadn't quite seen in a Halo game before and I liked the new approach. My only criticism was the lack of environmental variety. It all looked and felt the same. I remember the winter levels in earlier Halo games.

Nvzman

Imo the moment Xbox completely dropped the ball was when the Kinect released and they absolutely destroyed their internal structure to continue catering to the most basic casual shit.
I don't think they've ever recovered since, seriously. Their first party output has been absolutely dismal since then. It's a real shame, because Xbox from 2001-2010 was fucking awesome.

King Dazzar

I agree with you. It felt like it wasn't ever fully realised and lacking in area variety. But for all that, the gunplay and random AI chatter gave it a certain something. I've kept it installed on my XSX for me to return to again. Its flawed as you say, but I still enjoyed it. I'd say its good, but not great.

Yoboman

Xbox don't have a good reputation for making good games. It's that simple. Little has changed on that front for ten years. And every year that continues to pass with fumbles, the worse that reputation gets

Your casual audience will see good games as those that are either in the GOTY discussion (Zelda, RDR2, God of War) or those far rarer ones that cut through the culture zeitgeist and become a far bigger deal than expected (Fortnite, Apex, Animal Crossing, Elden Ring).

Nintendo is considered the best because they have exclusives fitting both categories. PlayStation has both but a multiplayer weakness. Xbox doesn't have anything that fits in either of these categories.

They have constantly chased the latter category without addressing the former. And of the two it's a lot easier to make a game in GOTY talks than chase the unicorn of having some massive GAAS success. They've also developed some really bad practices along the way of releasing unfinished games. Maybe they get good like Sea of Thieves a few years later, but by then everyone is moved on and it falls into the "oh it's not shit anymore? Maybe I'll check it out one day" basket alongside the likes of No Man's Sky and Cyberpunk

Microsoft needs a coupl years of consistently amazing, feature complete games and then they will see the benefit. But it hasn't happened yet so I'm not sure why anyone is expecting anything to have changed in their position

Taur007

Find out why their 30+ studios (not counting ABK) have such a hard time consistently making quality AAA games.
Most studios they acquired were already developing a multiplat when they were bought but they all have active exclusives in development now with at least 2 confirmed next year (avowed/hellblade) so which studios are struggling exactly?

Taur007

Find out why their 30+ studios (not counting ABK) have such a hard time consistently making quality AAA games.
Most studios they acquired were already developing a multiplat when they were bought but they all have active exclusives in development now with at least 2 confirmed next year (avowed/hellblade) so which studios are struggling exactly?

Topher

Gold Member

Addressed this earlier in the thread.

You may believe that, but I sure don't. Five years is plenty of time for these studios to have produced at least one game. I'd say Playground and Obsidian have done ok, but their new games are still lagging far behind. The Initiative, Compulsion and Ninja Theory should have produced something by now. Where the hell is The Coalition? How the hell was Redfall allowed to happen? Not going to dream up excuses for pisspoor production. Sorry.

I don't make excuses for Sony so certainly not going to make excuses for a $2 trillion dollar corporation.

Last edited:

Gavon West

🙄 this has been discussed and picked apart to death already and your comment is incredibly inaccurate.
Don't sweat it. If Xbox was truly mediocre and the games were as sub entertaining as GaF says it was, threads like these wouldn't even be made. That goes for Starfield, Phil spencer and Gamepass threads as well. People don't waste time on mediocrity. GaF goes HEAVY on all of these topics. Should say a lot.

Last edited:
Don't sweat it. If Xbox was truly mediocre and the games were as sub entertaining as GaF says it was, threads like these wouldn't even be made. That goes for Starfield, Phil spencer and Gamepass threads as well. People don't waste time on mediocrity. GaF goes HEAVY on all of these topics. Should say a lot.
Mediocrity requires that it be in the middle of the pack. Xbox is not mediocre, it is abysmal. We are discussing how abysmal Xbox is as a failing division of Microsoft, that is why it is a popular topic.

Xbox doesn't come second in gaming; it came in THIRD.

By all means, enjoy your Xbox and your games. Nothing anyone else say or do would invalid any joy you derive from your gaming experience. The same way Dreamcast players have all the reason in the world to play the best arcade ports the industry had to offer. But your enjoyment doesn't change the direction the wind is blowing.

Last edited:

Crayon

The best comeback plan would be to build a time machine then have phil go back to 2014 and kick himself in the nuts. Then come back and hope the butterfly effect takes care of the rest.

Klayzer

Mediocrity requires that it be in the middle of the pack. Xbox is not mediocre, it is abysmal. We are discussing how abysmal Xbox is as a failing division of Microsoft, that is why it is a popular topic.

Xbox doesn't come second in gaming; it came in THIRD.

By all means, enjoy your Xbox and your games. Nothing anyone else say or do would invalid any joy you derive from your gaming experience. The same way Dreamcast players have all the reason in the world to play the best arcade ports the industry had to offer. But your enjoyment doesn't change the direction the wind is blowing.
To add to your assessment, Microsoft as a company is doing well, Xbox as a platform is losing customers/mindshare rapidly. Great for Microsoft's books, but what is it doing to stem Xbox declining relavence since the 360.

Top Bottom